• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

BooJoh

Jasoco said:
Also, is there a way to make it morning faster? Or do I have to wait the whole time? Sucks that it pauses when I put the app in the background.
You can't speed it up (I wish he'd add a bed for that or something) but if you have your workbench or furnace menu open you should be able to tab out without pausing.

Jasoco

Banned
zaidr said:
make a workbench with the planks. Planks on all four squares.
Then, place that somewhere in your world, and right click on that and you have a larger area (3X3) to make more stuff.

Sticks are two planks on top of eachother in the crafting boxes.

check out the wiki for more stuff.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Main_Page
Yeah, I made the workbench. I just didn't know where to get a stick. So a stick is two planks?

Also, fucking hell. I just got killed by a zombie while running from another swimming zombie. Geeze! I hate night!!! And I didn't know time kept going when I opened the inventory.

Blizzard

Banned
Twig said:
Dead Rising 2 is absolutely nothing like Minecraft in any fashion whatsoever.

Stop making comparisons that make no sense, thanks.
...? He just mentioned Dead Rising 2 as a contrast against Minecraft, not a comparison.

zaidr said:
Is there any way to try out multiplayer before buying the game? I got hooked on this game on the free weekend, but would really like to check out what multiplayer is all about.

And is Alpha the same as survival mode? The regular day/night cycle with monsters coming out at night? Or is it something different?
Try the free classic version on minecraft.net (when the website is up) and join a couple of multiplayer servers. Currently, survival multiplayer is kinda similar to that, in the sense that people build huge things together (and there's the danger of griefing if there's not a good admin). Instead of having unlimited resources, a survival multiplayer server might require you to mine things and craft to build. Eventually, survival multiplayer should feature enemies attacking players, etc. Also, survival multiplayer and singleplayer have new features like minecraft and redstone switches that the classic version doesn't.

Yes, alpha is the same as survival. Oh, and time keeps going if you leave the inventory screen open and alt-tab, so that can be a good way to pass nights early in the game if you don't like mining dangerously under your house. :lol

Jasoco

Banned
Holy shit. I just started a new game and it's winter now. Hahaha. Will it stay winter? I would think it'd have made more sense to have the seasons match the real world seasons.

zaidr

BooJoh said:
You can't speed it up (I wish he'd add a bed for that or something) but if you have your workbench or furnace menu open you should be able to tab out without pausing.

Ah, thank you! Any way to try multiplayer before buying?
nvm, answered.

Blizzard

Banned
Jasoco said:
Holy shit. I just started a new game and it's winter now. Hahaha. Will it stay winter? I would think it'd have made more sense to have the seasons match the real world seasons.
But that would take a really long time to change! And no, currently a winter world is always winter with snow and ice, and a normal world is always normal. BUT, supposedly around the end of this month we will be getting biomes, so different parts of the world may be different environments!

Twig

Banned
Blizzard said:
...? He just mentioned Dead Rising 2 as a contrast against Minecraft, not a comparison.
Want to fight zombies? Play dead rising 2.
Read it again.

He's suggesting we play Dead Rising 2 instead of Minecraft. That makes no goddamn sense.

Also:
Merriam Webster said:
1: the act or process of comparing: as
a : the representing of one thing or person as similar to or like another
b : an examination of two or more items to establish similarities and dissimilarities <his faults seem minor by comparison>
2: identity of features : similarity <several points of comparison between the two>
3: the modification of an adjective or adverb to denote different levels of quality, quantity, or relation

Jasoco

Banned
Will trees come back? Or how do I plant one? And what do I do with the flowers I keep picking up? How do I plant them?

zaidr

Jasoco said:
Will trees come back? Or how do I plant one? And what do I do with the flowers I keep picking up? How do I plant them?

rightclick while holding sapling (those green things that fall from trees) or flowers.

Btw, what does a Hoe do? I didn't dig before planting a sapling, and it still grew trees, so whats the deal?

Blizzard

Banned
Jasoco said:
I don't know of a way to replant flowers (though that would be nice). You need to hit tree leaves with your fist (or a block of wood or something) to destroy them, and occasionally that will drop saplings that you can plant as someone else described.

Twig said:
Read it again.

He's suggesting we play Dead Rising 2 instead of Minecraft. That makes no goddamn sense.
I thought he just meant, Dear Rising 2 is meant to be a game about killing zombies, per se, while Minecraft is a game about other stuff that happens to feature killing zombies.

*edit* Oh snap, WEBSTER'D

*edit again* http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Hoe seems to indicate that using it can give you seeds to plant wheat. See the article there on seeds for more farming details.

zaidr

Jasoco said:

I think the second save slot is always snow world.

Its weird...each save slot is a specific word type. More caves, more hills, flatland, islands etc.

Twig

Banned
Blizzard said:
I thought he just meant, Dear Rising 2 is meant to be a game about killing zombies, per se, while Minecraft is a game about other stuff that happens to feature killing zombies.
I think it's safe to assume that, even though he made that awful suggestion, he's smart enough to know that people who like "challenge" in Minecraft aren't specifically talking about killing monsters. If it turns out, he's not, then I will further explain the key differences between the games.
*edit* Oh snap, WEBSTER'D
YA BEST BELEE DAT

Vlad

zaidr said:
Is there any way to try out multiplayer before buying the game? I got hooked on this game on the free weekend, but would really like to check out what multiplayer is all about.

The eventual idea is to have multiplayer be the same as single-player, but just with multiple people roaming around. Right now it's like single-player, but with missing/broken features. You can still build things, but from what I understand, certain things don't work (stoves, minecarts, monsters can't hurt you, etc).

Also, is there a way to make it morning faster? Or do I have to wait the whole time? Sucks that it pauses when I put the app in the background.

You can't speed up the flow of time, but you can stop the game from pausing when it's in the background by opening up the inventory, accessing a chest, stove, or crafting table before alt-tabbing to something else.

EDIT: Ouch. Super-beaten. That's what I get for actually typing my reply 15 minutes after starting it.

Cool. How long does a tree take to grow? Also, how many real-time minutes does a day/night cycle last?

Tree growth (as well as crop growth) is somewhat random. Trees usually take about 2-4 in-game days to grow.

I don't know of a way to replant flowers (though that would be nice). You need to hit tree leaves with your fist (or a block of wood or something) to destroy them, and occasionally that will drop saplings that you can plant as someone else described.

You can replant flowers by right-clicking on the ground when you're holding one.

The update sounds awesome, can't wait! Perfect timing on the announcement, too. (Not that he really owes it to the overly entitled segment of his community, but this should help make up for the lack of recent weekly updates.)

Hell world sounds like a real game-changer, and it's a clever way to address the travel issue while adding new avenues for challenge and exploration. I hope construction works as normal down there... it would be awesome to build a hell railway that can quickly cart you miles across the "real world". I also envision people creating transportation hubs with ideal teleport locations marked with signs.

Not sure how I feel about the torch thing... but it all comes down to balance (how long the temp torches last, how much perm torches cost, and whether he tweaks the cost of temp torches to make up for their nerf). The current torches are the most overpowered item in the game IMO, so I'm willing to keep an open mind.

Looking forward to seeing how he addresses difficulty and risk/reward, too.

Jasoco

Banned
Are there any drawbacks to playing with Peaceful mode that makes it so you can't do certain things? At least if I turn it on at night so I don't get killed while I'm trying to wait until morning?

Rubius

Big Update coming
http://minecraft.net/boo/
boo.png

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
zaidr said:
I think the second save slot is always snow world.

Its weird...each save slot is a specific word type. More caves, more hills, flatland, islands etc.

No, first save slot was snow for me.

Rainier

Jasoco said:
Are there any drawbacks to playing with Peaceful mode that makes it so you can't do certain things? At least if I turn it on at night so I don't get killed while I'm trying to wait until morning?
None.

Jasoco said:
Only that you can't get the items that are only dropped by enemies (gunpowder, string, etc.)

Rubius said:
Yep, and its only in Alpha. The game is not even Out yet.

It's true. As much as there is to learn from this game on a design level, there's a lot to learn about the business of it too.
Players will pay for incomplete games if the base feature-set is good enough, free updates are promised, and they only have to pay once for the life of the game.

It's a great model for indie developers, though I wonder if it would work with any other kind of game.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You could argue Valve did the same thing with TF2, though didn't advertise it as an "Alpha build!" so much.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Update of forever.

Rubius

buy teh haloz said:
Torches going out sounds incredibly annoying.
The survival mode is suppose to be a Survival Horror type of mode. So its normal that torches die.
Jasoco said:
I can't make a torch. I have the stick and the coal but it won't create a torch. What gives?
The coal over the stick.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
civilstrife said:
This man is making more than $100,000 a day, developing an INDIE VIDEOGAME.
I still can't fathom how this is happening THIS fast for dude. $100 000 a day seems like.. a lot.

buy teh haloz said:

IMO it sounds like the proper progression. Start with torches, take them with you into uncertain area's, replace torches with lanterns once you've decided its part of an area you'd like to explore.

Rubius

enzo_gt said:
I still can't fathom how this is happening THIS fast for dude. $100 000 a day seems like.. a lot.
Youtube + Fanbase +Low Price + Humor = Success.
With the number of LP on Youtube right now...

civilstrife said:
It's a great model for indie developers, though I wonder if it would work with any other kind of game.
I imagine that most games wouldn't be nearly as interesting this early in development. Seems like a lot of developers have implied that most games are kind of crap until the major polishing toward the end of development. I think Minecraft works because it's open-ended enough that people can keep creating their own fun, and most games don't really have that. Games with set, designed levels would be especially poorly suited to this business model, I would think.

Cortex Command has been using the same model since before Minecraft, actually, but it hasn't taken off to nearly the same extent (though their updates haven't been as frequent, either).

Jasoco said:
I can't make a torch. I have the stick and the coal but it won't create a torch. What gives?

Are you sure it's coal you have? I'm guessing you actually have a piece of flint and are mistaking it for coal. Flint can be found randomly by digging gravel, whereas coal looks like normal stone but with black chunks in it. Also you need a pickaxe to get coal. It's one stick with one coal on top of it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
buy teh haloz said:

Lanterns is a good alternative, but I agree. I said it awhile back, when Notch had mentioned that he wanted torches to use fuel, that I think it would be a poor move and nothing short of tedious to manage. Torches are not like furnaces, where you only need to fuel them when you actually need to use them. Torches are the backbone of navigation through mines, caves, and the outside when its dark, and I dont doubt players have already gotten into a habit of using them frequently.

It's going to be a pain in the arse to replace or refuel every single torch in the gameworld.

Jasoco

Banned
HappyBivouac said:
Are you sure it's coal you have? I'm guessing you actually have a piece of flint and are mistaking it for coal. Flint can be found randomly by digging gravel, whereas coal looks like normal stone but with black chunks in it. Also you need a pickaxe to get coal. It's one stick with one coal on top of it.
Damn. You're right. They look the same. Okay... where do I get the Coal then?

upandaway

Accidentus said:
Does anyone else just play on Peaceful and not worry about monsters? I don't play this game to worry about creepers sneaking up and jihading me when I'm 20 levels underground and have no idea how to get back to my body. (Not that that's ever happened to me...)
I'm thinking of lowering the difficulty temporarily while I explore this one insane cave that killed me and made me lose pretty much everything I had. Partly because I'm just sick of that cave now and partly because there's that one place where a ton of monsters easily spawn and it's really hard to lay a single torch without being raped in the ass by arrows.

I agree that the game is easy most of the time, but as someone who hasn't found anything above iron yet (this is legitimate because the game doesn't have any difficulty curve), I can get into really tight situations. Harder monsters and temporary torches will make those few situations a nightmare.

Ferrio

Banned
EatChildren said:
It's going to be a pain in the arse to replace or refuel every single torch in the gameworld.

That's why you don't use torches to do that, you use laterns. Torches will be used for short term lighting, (spelunking, mining, exploring, beginning of game). He hasn't even said how long they'll last, could be 3 in days in game which would be plenty for those activities.

Ferrio said:
That's why you don't use torches to do that, you use laterns. Torches will be used for short term lighting, (spelunking, mining, exploring, beginning of game). He hasn't even said how long they'll last, could be 3 in days in game which would be plenty for those activities.
What about all of the torches already in the game?

EatChildren

Ferrio said:

I know. I'm more thinking about the mass of torches I have in place, especially on servers, and how annoying its going to be to replace them all :lol.

Ferrio

Banned
buy teh haloz said:
What about all of the torches already in the game?

Trick question? I guess we just scratch our heads as they all go out unable to fix the horrible world of darkness notch has descended upon us. Woe is us.

You won't have to replace all the torches you've already placed. They'll go out, and that's the way it is. If you want to re-explore those places bring some flint and steel.

It just breathes more life into the game world. Infinite torches always seemed a bit ridiculous to me.

Yes, you'll end up playing a bit differently to adjust for it, but that's the point. We're not playing the game as it's supposed to be played right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom