• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Alright, after a hard morning's and afternoon's work, ladies and gentlemen, fellow GAFers, I present:
Techno Tower
ohqqaa.png

The stairwell I built up the mountainside
iz8gn8.png

The valley I call home, as seen from my roof
rrqotk.png

One of the side chambers
34y9oci.png

The base of the central stairwell
2ur2wxu.png

adnc5l.png

Further up the stairwell at night
25fq63k.png

The tower room, also at night
k4azc9.png

The main spire, up close
z7d4z.png

And the tower as a whole again, lit up at night
amqkr6.png

Ferrio

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Alright, after a hard morning's and afternoon's work, ladies and gentlemen, fellow GAFers, I present:
Techno Tower

Awesome design, though I can't unsee the penis tower now...

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Technomancer has dove right in to Minecraft with both feet, I see! You've already created something for more impressive than me, and I had the game several days longer.

Damn my need to A) Constantly re-roll, & B) build everything out of smooth stone.

here's the tower I built today. main feature is.. grass going all the way to the top :lol grass was giving me a good run to the top when I was laying down all the glass. bottom hut also has access straight down to three different big mines/caves. completely straight underground tunnels :O~

mc1.jpg

mc2.jpg

mc3.jpg

mc4.jpg

Razorskin

----- ------
Cryect said:
Drown them then with your water mine.

This cave I found is massive, I have at least 200 torches set up in there. There's too many good ores to flood that place. There's also a lot of lava and water streams in there. I think I've gotten all of the monsters after dying 5+ times.

The Technomancer

Joseph Merrick said:
here's the tower I built today. main feature is.. grass going all the way to the top :lol grass was giving me a good run to the top when I was laying down all the glass. bottom hut also has access straight down to three different big mines/caves. completely straight underground tunnels :O~
Man. the GAF server is going to be incredible.

Blizzard

Banned
Does anyone know if creative mode is going to be part of the "Multiplayer" category for the alpha/beta, or if creative mode is only going to remain in the legacy free client?

IceMarker

Blizzard said:
Does anyone know if creative mode is going to be part of the "Multiplayer" category for the alpha/beta, or if creative mode is only going to remain in the legacy free client?
I believe he said Creative is now Minecraft Classic and he'll be slowly phasing it out of existence or just hiding it.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
The_Technomancer said:
Techno Tower

Now put a lava reservoir on top; have water falling to the ground; and build a rollercoaster going down.

Ferrio

Banned
Tempy said:
Now put a lava reservoir on top; have water falling to the ground; and build a rollercoaster going down.

His design made me realize making Naxxramas from WoW would be badass.

The Technomancer

Also, anyone else find some of the scenery in this game just flat out beautiful? Sure, its pixelated and blocky, but I absolutely love the valley that I posted a pic of.

Blizzard

Banned
MrMister said:
I believe he said Creative is now Minecraft Classic and he'll be slowly phasing it out of existence or just hiding it.
Wow, that sucks if so. The wiki claimed creative would be one of the final modes I thought, but maybe not. :(

I only complain because it still takes a long time to make things in creative mode, and the things people make in that mode are incredible, and the scale is HUGE. It's one of the few times I get vertigo falling off some building hundreds of feet in the air.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Cryect said:
Drown them then with your water mine.
I still didn't quite get the water physics in this game. Sure, i can make a water thing from 16 blocks of height, but the moment it gets on the first layer of floor, if just goes vertically about 8 blocks and that's it. It doesn't pour/behave like a real liquid.

I tried looking for some water tutorials, but i couldn't find any. :(

Cryect

drizzle said:
I still didn't quite get the water physics in this game. Sure, i can make a water thing from 16 blocks of height, but the moment it gets on the first layer of floor, if just goes vertically about 8 blocks and that's it. It doesn't pour/behave like a real liquid.

I tried looking for some water tutorials, but i couldn't find any. :(

Pretty much the big thing is dirt or sand will absorb the water while if you use cobblestone or gravel it will hold the water and allow it to keep flowing.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Came up with some new strategies for mining, not sure if they are new to anyone else.

Right before the large cavern which I know contains enemies, I created a "staging area" (I even labeled it with signs). It's double doored - one to enter the area, and then another which continues to the "danger zone." In the staging area I have all the amenities - furnace, workbench, and a large chest. Before I go mining in the danger area I only take essentials - pickaxe, sword, and some food. I leave everything else in the chest so I don't lose anything. I also come back to it when I need fresh supplies.

It's cool :D

Digging out basement...heard noise...chipping away at block...lava came pouring out of hole...basement flooded with lava...FUCK!!!

Edit: This game could really use wooden elevators or something like that. I am going to have a heart attack climbing up a tower I am building.

Blizzard

Banned
Eaten By A Grue said:
Edit: This game could really use wooden elevators or something like that. I am going to have a heart attack climbing up a tower I am building.
That's what towers are for...or in creative mode, towers of free-floating water. I imagine you could do the same thing in alpha by making a completely enclosed column of water.

If I ever get a really tall ladder I plan to add a diving pool at the bottom so I can do down it quickly. :D

filipe said:
NeoGaf, I propose a Gaf private server when multiplayer is finally implemented into Survival. Keeping it private ensures that no one can just come in and start messing with our works. We can keep the member list neat and organized, only accepting members from Gaf.

Count me in!

ant_

Was exploring my underground mine when I came across this waterfall

A2QpQ.png

It all flowed down to a small corner, where all the current was pushing this guy to the corner

xzaRX.png

I did a little construction, made it so I could kill the trapped enemies from my vantage point and constructed a canal to go to a collection zone.

zqJ3B.png

Easy way to get mob loot :)

( all these pictures were taken after I discovered/constructed the collection chamber)

MNC

I just can't find any good dungeons :( I'll have to start building some more crazy stuff to keep myself interested. Haven't been doing a whole lot lately.

Blizzard

Banned
MNC said:
I just can't find any good dungeons :( I'll have to start building some more crazy stuff to keep myself interested. Haven't been doing a whole lot lately.
If you like building, try the free mode.
If you are bored then, quit forever, or at least until tomorrow's update!

Kuran

Banned
Blizzard said:
If you like building, try the free mode.
If you are bored then, quit forever, or at least until tomorrow's update!

Tomorrows update? Do you mean the one from today?

Blizzard

Banned
Kuran said:
Tomorrows update? Do you mean the one from today?
I heard there were usually updates on Friday. I could say "whenever's update" to be more accurate. :lol

...wait, he's in Sweden, the Land of Tomorrow, so Friday's update IS today. I'll have to check what got updated! :lol

Razorskin

----- ------
Blizzard said:
I heard there were usually updates on Friday. I could say "whenever's update" to be more accurate. :lol

...wait, he's in Sweden, the Land of Tomorrow, so Friday's update IS today. I'll have to check what got updated! :lol

No, he hasn't released the secret Friday update yet.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Cryect said:
Pretty much the big thing is dirt or sand will absorb the water while if you use cobblestone or gravel it will hold the water and allow it to keep flowing.
Yeah, but... I don't know, it's weird. Water behaves differently if it's already set.

For instance, if you have a water fountain and you break blocks beneath them, that block will always fill up with water, and it usually flows straight down.
Also, the water flow will change depending on the fact that blocks where there when the water first went through it.

For instance, a water stream will go diagonally when it's flowing for the first time. But if it's already flowing and you break apart a block (in the same configuration which it would flow if it was the first time water was passing through that place), the place that had a block and went diagonally now will flow straight down and mess up any water system you have planned.

I tried making a water system trap thing on a dungeon that spewed spiders and it never came out the way i wanted it.

Where did the last few hours go? Damn this game is crazy. I tried to play for awhile without reading any of the wiki or the start guides... figured out how to make planks, and built a house with a doorway. Got destroyed to all hell by monsters that night. Decided to read some help stuff.

I have a crappy little house, some picks, some swords, a craft bench and furnace, and some torches. Melted some sand into glass, so my house will be getting windows soon. That'll be nice.

Damn this game is impressive.

I haven't read any of the crafting wiki because I want to experiment on my own (which allowed me to make my leather helmet, vest, and pants with a huge sense of accomplishment... still haven't figured out how to make leather footwear though) and learn as I go through trial and error.

I spawned right beside lots of coal deposits on a small cliff, and after mining them I turned the little cavity in the cliffside into my home complete with a torch-lit stairway and a door.

This is so badass. Can't wait to go mining for some iron and make some good weapons and armor. :D

ant_

platypotamus said:
Where did the last few hours go? Damn this game is crazy. I tried to play for awhile without reading any of the wiki or the start guides... figured out how to make planks, and built a house with a doorway. Got destroyed to all hell by monsters that night. Decided to read some help stuff.

I have a crappy little house, some picks, some swords, a craft bench and furnace, and some torches. Melted some sand into glass, so my house will be getting windows soon. That'll be nice.
Seriously, this game makes time disappear. Moreso than other games for some reason..

After lava filled my basement I have decided to try a new world. This time I am going to attempt to mine an underwater tunnel underneath a lake and then make the tunnel ceiling glass or something along those lines. I cannot believe I have played this damn game for 5 hours now, which has basically consisted of chipping away at damn cubes on the screen, wtf :lol

Blizzard

Banned
Just to make sure I'm not missing something...cloth can't be used for anything now that leather has been added, right? And until Notch implements dye cloth is only white?

*edit*
I just learned a valuable lesson. With my first door, I decided to watch the monsters for once! My house is a couple squares off the ground anyway! ...I then learned that when the creepers come up to your door, they will apparently see you THROUGH the door and blow up, destroying your chest and scattering your stuff all over the place. I got the chest back, but had to make another door and rebuild my floor...got most of my stuff back too (after I respawned). Next time, I'll stay a square away from the door. :(

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Blizzard said:
Just to make sure I'm not missing something...cloth can't be used for anything now that leather has been added, right? And until Notch implements dye cloth is only white?

Yeah, for now I don't think it has any use. I'm willing to bet that tomorrow's update will address this.

sophora

Blizzard said:

*edit*
I just learned a valuable lesson. With my first door, I decided to watch the monsters for once! My house is a couple squares off the ground anyway! ...I then learned that when the creepers come up to your door, they will apparently see you THROUGH the door and blow up, destroying your chest and scattering your stuff all over the place. I got the chest back, but had to make another door and rebuild my floor...got most of my stuff back too (after I respawned). Next time, I'll stay a square away from the door. :(

Yeah the monsters are quite surprising when you watch them. I was working on my 'tree house' and climbed down the ladder to be greeted with a spider slowly ascending my ladder. Instantly I went "oshi-" and climbed back up and watch it slowly go back down. I didn't know they could do that!

Another time I was descending my ladder there was a lone skeleton using the shade as refuge and a couple spiders. The skeleton shot an arrow up at me and it curved back down and hit a passive spider, making the spider attack the skeleton forcing it out into the daylight. It's pretty surprising to come across stuff like that :lol

At this point, I've got a sword, but no armor, and night time is still super dangerous to me. What do you guys do at night? I've been hiding in my house waiting for the sun to come up. I'm thinking about spending tomorrow day expanding the area my house is on so my house has a lot more area, and that way I'll be able to build it up vertically and make it cool on the inside (safely?) during the night.

EDIT: I can see a skeleton right outside my house through the window. Creepy

G-Fex

You people have any idea what it's like having your makeshift house blown to bits by one of those explosive thingies, then sitting in a makeshift hole underground while you the most Evil vile of creatures stalking above ruling over the night as you sit in fear digging a little lower but not too low?

G-Fex said:
You people have any idea what it's like having your makeshift house blown to bits by one of those explosive thingies, then sitting in a makeshift hole underground while you the most Evil vile of creatures stalking above ruling over the night as you sit in fear digging a little lower but not too low?

Yes to the first part, but no to the second. I didn't know they blew up, and then half my shack was gone :(

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
platypotamus said:
At this point, I've got a sword, but no armor, and night time is still super dangerous to me. What do you guys do at night? I've been hiding in my house waiting for the sun to come up. I'm thinking about spending tomorrow day expanding the area my house is on so my house has a lot more area, and that way I'll be able to build it up vertically and make it cool on the inside (safely?) during the night.

EDIT: I can see a skeleton right outside my house through the window. Creepy

Make some torches and pickaxes, and mine down into the floor of your house.

Night time is for mining!

Yeah, I need to expand my house a bit before I can do that. After putting in a furnace, chest, and workbench, I only have 6 walkable squares inside :p

ant_

My house and mine are connected. I only go outside for wood. I will not need to go outside once I construct my tree farm

filipe

I respectfully request a title change for this topic to...

Minecraft |OT| The game that'll rob you of your sou... OH MY GOD HE EXPLODED ME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom