• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

SumGamer

Fishing arrives at last :D

I like the sounds of the torch dying, even if it means I have to go and replace every single one of them :D .

seb

Banned
HappyBivouac said:
You won't have to replace all the torches you've already placed. They'll go out, and that's the way it is. If you want to re-explore those places bring some flint and steel.

It just breathes more life into the game world. Infinite torches always seemed a bit ridiculous to me.

Yes, you'll end up playing a bit differently to adjust for it, but that's the point. We're not playing the game as it's supposed to be played right now.
Yes, for newcomers it's another element of gameplay added to decide what needs permanent lights and don't, but for us with our fully lit cave systems... :'(
I'm considering sealing my older mines now. That seems appropriate to let them fill with monsters again now that I have taken out all the gold and diamonds...

I fear this patch will compete with my GT5 play time. Already I had planned that October would be a PS Move month, boy was I wrong. Minecraft is eating my life.

Log4Girlz

Rubius said:
Damn.
Got an Electric shut down while playing Minecraft...
My map got erased...

Try opening the same save spot you had your world in and look for your civilization, it may just work. Something similar happened to me.

Rubius

Tried.
Nothing. Damn, its not like I build anything special,other than a giant tower, but hey kinda kill the mood for the moment :p.

Brashnir

HappyBivouac said:
You won't have to replace all the torches you've already placed. They'll go out, and that's the way it is. If you want to re-explore those places bring some flint and steel.

It just breathes more life into the game world. Infinite torches always seemed a bit ridiculous to me.

Yes, you'll end up playing a bit differently to adjust for it, but that's the point. We're not playing the game as it's supposed to be played right now.

yeah, no thanks. Some are up in really unreachable places.

I'm done.

KTallguy

Banned
Hmm so... the torch change is pretty big I guess.

Part of my method of exploring caves is to place torches as I dive deeper.
If lanterns are expensive to make, it's gonna make exploration very difficult.

As there are no moving light sources, the player can't hold a torch while exploring.

I wonder if the game will be rebalanced to produce more iron, which I always have trouble finding.
I also dug pretty deep but found no diamond, only some obsidian. One of the obsidian blocks actually didn't give me anything too...

I love minecraft though :D

Rubius

KTallguy said:
Hmm so... the torch change is pretty big I guess.

Part of my method of exploring caves is to place torches as I dive deeper.
If lanterns are expensive to make, it's gonna make exploration very difficult.

As there are no moving light sources, the player can't hold a torch while exploring.

I wonder if the game will be rebalanced to produce more iron, which I always have trouble finding.
I also dug pretty deep but found no diamond, only some obsidian. One of the obsidian blocks actually didn't give me anything too...

I love minecraft though :D

Dont worry, torches will probably take 1 ingame day to go off. So you can explore without problem, but if you want to go somewhere alot of time, then you have to make a lantern.

I suppose lantern will take Iron and Coal or Redstone.

I just killed myself by accident working on my light house. Using lava as the light source I trapped myself in a glass lava chamber at the top.

I just lost so many fucking items. At least I can finally go to sleep. might be a few days before I play again. Shouldnt have had that much shit on me. Damnit.

Jasoco

Banned
They need to put this one one or more of the major consoles (With your same login of course) as well as an iPod/iPad version whether it's just a viewer or a full game. I want to take this with me!

Do your saved games get stored only on your computer? Or does it sync them to a server so you can log in from somewhere else and play with your map?

Jasoco said:
Do your saved games get stored only on your computer? Or does it sync them to a server so you can log in from somewhere else and play with your map?

Nah, they're just stored on your PC, but they're pretty easy to transfer - the saves are located in the 'C:\Users\[username]\appdata\roaming\.minecraft' folder (the appdata folder is a hidden folder).

JoeyX

Neo Member
Jasoco said:

Your PC only.

Still hoping lamps are equip-able. Would make night trekking so much easier.

Jasoco

Banned
Would be neat if it kept the saves on a server and you could log into your own little world from anywhere.

Also, I'd still love an iPod version with syncing of levels.

Who knows what the game will bring as time goes on.

Bootaaay said:
Nah, they're just stored on your PC, but they're pretty easy to transfer - the saves are located in the 'C:\Users\[username]\appdata\roaming\.minecraft' folder (the appdata folder is a hidden folder).
Windows key + R and then type in %appdata%.

teekun

Jasoco said:
Would be neat if it kept the saves on a server and you could log into your own little world from anywhere.

Also, I'd still love an iPod version with syncing of levels.

Who knows what the game will bring as time goes on.

Online storage would be a great addition. I'd love to be able to log into my world at any time from any device, regardless of platform. Even better, if I could just flip a switch and make my game a server so I could invite friends, that'd be great too.

Talamius

I love the torch change. Exploration was way too easy once you hit a few coal deposits. It makes diamond and redstone mean something, and (if monsters online are fixed) gives you a reason to band together into mining parties to dig deep.

kottila

JoeyX said:
Your PC only.

Still hoping lamps are equip-able. Would make night trekking so much easier.

They won't be. Something about moving light sources not an option with the lighting-system

HappyBivouac said:

It sounds like more of an annoyance than anything else. It doesn't really add anything to the game but another hassle (making sure to bring enough mats to relight torches) or another grind (the mats for lanterns).

I understand it's not realistic, but in real life if I go spelunking I'll carry my damn torch with me and I don't really have to worry as much about zombies exploding in my face. Realism isn't necessarily fun.

Philthy

Why do I have this feeling that once Notch starts updating the game, people are going to wish he had left it as is, bugs and all. This lantern / torch thing sounds like a major PITA. Hopefully someone will just mod it back.

Twig said:
Read it again.

He's suggesting we play Dead Rising 2 instead of Minecraft. That makes no goddamn sense.

Also:

Sorry pal, but thats exactly what I meant. I was mostly just screwing around anyway but hey, since you seem like you want to argue with people on the internet I will leave you to it.

Twig said:
I think it's safe to assume that, even though he made that awful suggestion, he's smart enough to know that people who like "challenge" in Minecraft aren't specifically talking about killing monsters. If it turns out, he's not, then I will further explain the key differences between the games.

YA BEST BELEE DAT

For christ sakes, the main aspect of the games I was talking about was the killing. That is specifically what some were speaking of. Sorry I didnt write a book so you could understand.

Mister Zimbu said:
It sounds like more of an annoyance than anything else. It doesn't really add anything to the game but another hassle (making sure to bring enough mats to relight torches) or another grind (the mats for lanterns).

To be fair, flint and steel last for a good long while, so it really shouldn't be much of a hassle to relight torches and lanterns will be there for a more permanent solution - and anyways, we don't know how long torches will burn for before needing to be relit or how many materials will be required for lanterns or what quantity those materials will produce. People are freaking out that these changes are going to make the game too challenging or too tedious when we don't even know exactly how it will affect gameplay yet.

rohlfinator said:
Cortex Command has been using the same model since before Minecraft, actually, but it hasn't taken off to nearly the same extent (though their updates haven't been as frequent, either).
I own this one as well and it's even better than Minecraft. But not for everybody. Minecraft has a broader appeal like WoW or something. Cortex Command on the other hand is a niche game like Clonk. They are awesome but too special to attract that many people. Notch is so lucky that he hit the spot right.

upandaway

kottila said:
They won't be. Something about moving light sources not an option with the lighting-system
Why not? Just put an invisible torch on whatever block you're standing on and change it every time you move.

I mean it probably won't be that simple but seems like an excuse kinda.

Philthy said:
Why do I have this feeling that once Notch starts updating the game, people are going to wish he had left it as is, bugs and all. This lantern / torch thing sounds like a major PITA. Hopefully someone will just mod it back.
Well it's not like anything is final. If things go deep shit I doubt he'll keep the update.

kottila

upandaway said:
Why not? Just put an invisible torch on whatever block you're standing on and change it every time you move.

I mean it probably won't be that simple but seems like an excuse kinda.

No idea, that's just what I read here

depths20XX

Torches going out doesn't bother me. There's still lanterns for infinite light.

No one should really be getting too attached to their worlds yet being as the game is in alpha.

Update sounds awesome.

ultron87

Is this torch thing going to mess up those self sealing airlocks people have made for sealing off tunnels that flood since those depend on water destroying torches?

If torches have a 'extinguished' state now, it probably won't work.

Philthy

upandaway said:
Well it's not like anything is final. If things go deep shit I doubt he'll keep the update.

This is true, I just have this feeling we will have to deal with unstackable lanterns for two years before he gets around to changing it back.

Tobor

Philthy said:
This is true, I just have this feeling we will have to deal with unstackable lanterns for two years before he gets around to changing it back.
We know for sure they're unstackable? Do we know what the mats are for making them?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I thought monsters were supposed to stay away from torches. I have had multiple zombies/skeletons follow me right in the front door of one of my forts that is literally one square by two squares and is surrounded by 9 torches. I've also had a few others come in through a larger door/cave entrance that was similarly surrounded by torches while I was down in a thin mine that killed me when I came up, since I had assumed nothing was there after I went overkill on the torches.

Is this just glitching on me, or is there something about torches keeping things away that I'm not aware of? Did I just misunderstand, and light only keeps them from spawning and doesn't actually act as a kind of barrier?
Twig said:
Dead Rising 2 is absolutely nothing like Minecraft in any fashion whatsoever.

Stop making comparisons that make no sense, thanks.

And you're missing the point entirely if you think all people want is "challenge." There's quite a bit more to this kind of game than difficulty.
That was his point.

Caesar III said:
I own this one as well and it's even better than Minecraft. But not for everybody. Minecraft has a broader appeal like WoW or something. Cortex Command on the other hand is a niche game like Clonk. They are awesome but too special to attract that many people. Notch is so lucky that he hit the spot right.
Better than Minecraft? Hmm, I might need to give that another look. :D
I played the free one a couple years ago and enjoyed it, but never got around to buying the full version. But yeah, Minecraft definitely has the broader appeal. It hits on so many different notes that most people are bound to find something they enjoy.

ultron87 said:
Is this torch thing going to mess up those self sealing airlocks people have made for sealing off tunnels that flood since those depend on water destroying torches?
Probably... I'm kind of surprised those lasted this long anyway. I expect future updates will eventually break a lot of the stuff people have figured out (especially water elevators and minecart boosters).

I'm thinking of starting a big project sometime soon. I'm currently debating between something like the Tower of Babel or an underwater city a la Bioshock. Any thoughts?

depths20XX

Monroeski said:
Is this just glitching on me, or is there something about torches keeping things away that I'm not aware of? Did I just misunderstand, and light only keeps them from spawning and doesn't actually act as a kind of barrier?

Yeah, the torches only keep monsters from spawning in the lit area. It won't keep them away.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm really struck by something. What with all of the push to have the most realistic graphics and realistic gameplay in the industry the last decade or so, the randomly generated worlds of Minecraft feel far more "real" then any other game I've ever played. Even other procedurally generated stuff like Spore doesn't feel like this.

rohlfinator said:
Better than Minecraft? Hmm, I might need to give that another look. :D
I played the free one a couple years ago and enjoyed it, but never got around to buying the full version.
They added some kinda cool missions recently to get an idea what the game will look like later on. And there is a huuuge amount of units now. The game is great great fun, especially in coop against an AI :lol crashing airships never gets old.

Evlar

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
I'm really struck by something. What with all of the push to have the most realistic graphics and realistic gameplay in the industry the last decade or so, the randomly generated worlds of Minecraft feel far more "real" then any other game I've ever played. Even other procedurally generated stuff like Spore doesn't feel like this.
Better verbs, looser boundaries on the noun/verb combinations you can make.

Haunted

The_Technomancer said:
Absolutely. I don't know what kind of dark magicks Notch infused into his procedural terrain generator, but man, it's working out well. There's some beautiful vistas to be found in pretty much any world I've rolled before I even touched my first rock. It just feels right. Natural. Believable.

Nick Suttner's writeup also touches on that and is well worth a read anyway. :)

notsol337

marked forever
TheExecutive said:
For christ sakes, the main aspect of the games I was talking about was the killing. That is specifically what some were speaking of. Sorry I didn't write a book so you could understand.

It's Twig, dude.

Seriously.

Twig

Banned
TheExecutive said:
For christ sakes, the main aspect of the games I was talking about was the killing. That is specifically what some were speaking of. Sorry I didnt write a book so you could understand.
You just don't get Minecraft, Reginald.

The killing is only a small, small part of it.

It's the surviving that people like. NOW do you get it? NOW will you stop making horrible comparisons?

YES! Since all inventory and placed torches become lanterns anyone else planning on making some huge as torch farms and stock piling over the next month. I might start 2 other worlds and just inventory a few hundred just in case they are a bitch to make.

Although I'll get as many as I possibly can in my main game before this all goes down.

Twig said:
You just don't get Minecraft, Reginald.

The killing is only a small, small part of it.

It's the surviving that people like. NOW do you get it? NOW will you stop making horrible comparisons?

Really I think its the building not the surviving. I only survive to build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom