• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
HenryGale said:
YES! Since all inventory and placed torches become lanterns anyone else planning on making some huge as torch farms and stock piling over the next month. I might start 2 other worlds and just inventory a few hundred just in case they are a bitch to make.

Although I'll get as many as I possibly can in my main game before this all goes down.

Yeah, I've already started Operation: Coal Digger

Twig

Banned
HenryGale said:
Really I think its the building not the surviving. I only survive to build.
Yes, but I'm not talking about you. There are different kinds of people playing this game. You are the type that should play on peaceful.

As evidenced in your previous post:
HenryGale said:
YES! Since all inventory and placed torches become lanterns anyone else planning on making some huge as torch farms and stock piling over the next month. I might start 2 other worlds and just inventory a few hundred just in case they are a bitch to make.

Although I'll get as many as I possibly can in my main game before this all goes down.

I hope he changes the night system to look more like Fallout 3. As it is now, I can't see a thing at night and sometimes I just want to build. I really hope we can create light bulbs someday to really brighten up rooms.

WanderingWind

Twig said:
Yes, but I'm not talking about you. There are different kinds of people playing this game. You are the type that should play on peaceful.

As evidenced in your previous post:

Nah, that's not right. Everything I've built, I've earned. Without the danger, my castle wouldn't be as fuck awesome to me. :D

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Atomski said:
I have tried to make underwater areas. Its a pain in the butt..
i've already hollowed out the antechamber and a pair of access hallways, unearthing the pyramid itself [underwater] is the toughie task.

the way im doing it:

water
dirt
dirt
dirt
dirt
glass
living space.

right now im hollowing out the two middle dirt areas, then removing the floor like this.

wall-space/space-wall
wall-space/space-wall
wall-dirt/dirt-wall.

so when the cieling is removed, it never floods more than 4 squares and i always stay dry.
then when im done that imm just break through the glass, remove the dirt and patch the glass again. this way i avoid the oxygen limitations entirely.

the only really hard part is going to be the access stair case, as the construction entrance will be patched when im done. the entrance will have to be built as a large single column underwater and then hollowed.

what I've got so far.

this is my workshop:
483KZ.jpg

chests on the right, furnaces on the left and on the second floor with the large window. good for sipping tea as you smelt and watch the sun rise over the bay.

-

H7rmE.png

and the project is down here.

-

hIIuQ.jpg

view from the construction entrance, i plan to hollow out the sides of the stairs into several platforms on different levels, so when all is said and done there'll be alot more free space in this main antechamber. when im done ill build several waterfalls here to supply the lower floors and then fill in the tunnel.

-

JSUQ8.jpg

i want to use the streams lining the stairs to feed water under this hallway so i can replace the floor with glass.

-

JIyJi.jpg

moonrise under the sea from the base of the main stair [tbb]
-

Sed7w.jpg

here you can see the guide column connecting the glass bridge to the base of what will be the main entrance stairs. you can also see a bit of the wooden flooring i dived and placed to serve as a reference for the size of the stair when im underwater. this is going to be my primary underground hallway connecting to any large room additions since its fairly deep down.

-

pOy4S.jpg

main entrance hallway that will eventually be all glass and water, connecting to other all glass rooms.

now is there a screenshot button for this game? >_>

WanderingWind said:
Any word on what the recipe will be?

I haven't heard anything but I wouldn't be surprised if they require iron... Sigh! Here's hoping that you at least get a decent return when you craft em.

Twig

Banned
WanderingWind said:
Nah, that's not right. Everything I've built, I've earned. Without the danger, my castle wouldn't be as fuck awesome to me. :D
"There are different kinds of people playing this game."

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
HenryGale said:
Really I think its the building not the surviving. I only survive to build.
Everyone gets different stuff out of it. For some its exploring, for some its mining, for some its building, for some its any combination of the two or three.

WanderingWind

Twig said:

"I was agreeing with that part." Just not the part where if you only care about building you should play on peaceful. I think you should always start on normal and adjust fire from there.

Twig

Banned
WanderingWind said:
"I was agreeing with that part." Just not the part where if you only care about building you should play on peaceful. I think you should always start on normal and adjust fire from there.
But, you clearly DON'T only care about building! Otherwise, you'd play on peaceful.
Technomancer said:
Everyone gets different stuff out of it. For some its exploring, for some its mining, for some its building, for some its any combination of the two or three.
Yes, exactly.

But add "surviving" to that list, which I guess isn't really an element once you figure out how to play the game, but will be again soon yay.

Twig said:

Yeah, there are. And maybe, just maybe, there's people that like the current level of challenge, who don't want to play on peaceful, but also don't want the challenge they face to significantly increase with the addition of tougher or more numerous enemies. And that's going to be a problem until Notch has sorted out the difficulty levels.

Personally, I play one world on peaceful and one on normal - the peaceful world is my building world, where I can create any structure I can conceive without having to worry about whether it's monster proof, or losing all my equipment when I go hunting for materials. On the normal world, I play for survival and mining. All the buildings I create there are functional and safe instead of elaborate in design and facilitate further mining and exploration. But everyone plays this game differently, I would hate for people to be forced onto peaceful because Notch up's the challenge in a way they perceive is too far.

Twig

Banned
Bootaaay said:
Yeah, there are. And maybe, just maybe, there's people that like the current level of challenge, who don't want to play on peaceful, but also don't want the challenge they face to significantly increase with the addition of tougher or more numerous enemies. And that's going to be a problem until Notch has sorted out the difficulty levels.

Personally, I play one world on peaceful and one on normal - the peaceful world is my building world, where I can create any structure I can conceive without having to worry about whether it's monster proof, or losing all my equipment when I go hunting for materials. On the normal world, I play for survival and mining. All the buildings I create there are functional and safe instead of elaborate in design and facilitate further mining and exploration. But everyone plays this game differently, I would hate for people to be forced onto peaceful because Notch up's the challenge in a way they perceive is too far.
I build in my hard world and my buildings are the best. :3

Wow, this game is amazing. My friend and I were playing this game for 5 hours straight. I was digging down for material as he was building up with the material I was bringing up. I haven't even touched single player yet.

Dragmire

lemon__fresh said:
Notch tweeted that all torches placed and in inventory will be turned into lanterns... Should help reduce rage.
Hmm, that's a good solution. I was conflicted on the idea of my torches going out in the world I mainly play in. It would have fit the whole Halloween thing he's doing if torches went out and the world went dark, like some widespread cataclysm. But my permanent structures would have to be re-lit, which could have been tedious. Anyway, this is a good solution.

WanderingWind

Twig said:
But, you clearly DON'T only care about building! Otherwise, you'd play on peaceful.

Uh...no. I DO only care about building and peaceful would make the game boring. These aren't irreconcilable ideals.

I also don't see a problem with Notch increasing the difficulty. It makes finishing that east wing all the more rewarding.

Philthy

MiniBossBattle said:
Wow, this game is amazing. My friend and I were playing this game for 5 hours straight. I was digging down for material as he was building up with the material I was bringing up. I haven't even touched single player yet.

Yeah, once you go multiplayer, it's really really hard to fire up single player ever again unless it's to test out builds and such.

Twig

Banned
Singleplayer is, at this point in time, much more enticing than multiplayer because I can actually take damage. Until multiplayer allows this, fuck multiplayer!

WanderingWind said:
Uh...no. I DO only care about building and peaceful would make the game boring. These aren't irreconcilable ideals.

I also don't see a problem with Notch increasing the difficulty. It makes finishing that east wing all the more rewarding.
Do you really not see the inconsistencies in your post?

If literally all you cared about was building, you'd be playing with Legos instead of playing Minecraft.

I don't know why you're getting so defensive about this... There's no shame in liking the fact that the game has challenge. Just like there's no shame in wanting the game to have no challenge.

Philthy

Twig said:
Singleplayer is, at this point in time, much more enticing than multiplayer because I can actually take damage. Until multiplayer allows this, fuck multiplayer!

It's more for the social aspect than anything else. Minecraft just excels at being an incredible social game where you have 30-40 people all working together mining materials for some huge build. Despite no damage and monsters, this just outweighs those negatives by 100 times.

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait for monsters and damage, but the way it is now is unbelievable. Single player is like watching I am Legend or something. It's okay, but not really. And unbelievably lonely.

Twig

Banned
Philthy said:
It's more for the social aspect than anything else. Minecraft just excels at being an incredible social game where you have 30-40 people all working together mining materials for some huge build. Despite no damage and monsters, this just outweighs those negatives by 100 times.

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait for monsters and damage, but the way it is now is unbelievable.
Yeah, I agree! Just expressing my own opinion. U:

Mister Zimbu said:
It sounds like more of an annoyance than anything else. It doesn't really add anything to the game but another hassle (making sure to bring enough mats to relight torches) or another grind (the mats for lanterns).

I understand it's not realistic, but in real life if I go spelunking I'll carry my damn torch with me and I don't really have to worry as much about zombies exploding in my face. Realism isn't necessarily fun.

I'm not concerned about realism. It's just that for me, the less static things are, the better.

This way if I spend hours exploring a large cave system, it doesn't get to that disappointing point where I know I have torches everywhere and am in no possible danger. It's always a let down when I get to that point with a cave I'm exploring. I'll probably bring a stack of lanterns and a bunch of torches, building lantern "checkpoints" every now and then, but mostly lighting with torches. I'm really excited at this prospect.

lemon__fresh said:
Notch tweeted that all torches placed and in inventory will be turned into lanterns... Should help reduce rage.

With all the new stuff, especially hell and biomes, I'll definitely be rolling a new world Oct 31 anyway.

fresquito

Why on Earth are people discussing how others play? Get this in your mind: not everybody shares your vision on the game. If the game, eventually, strays from what you'd wished it to be, bad luck. You enjoyed your time, accept it and wave your hand goodbye.

Now, getting alarmed for an incoming update, talking crap as facts and complaining like a cry baby is a whole different level. Just get out of the way, you're annoying and making this thread, otherwise absolutely charming, go to crappy places.

We here like sharing our experiences with a lovely game that's given us so much for so little. We don't like discussing our wanking desires. There're better places to do that.

DarkKyo

Couple questions, as I am a total noob to this awesome title:

1. How the heck do you get the leaves to go away after you get rid of the tree trunk? It's not very pleasant to look at with all these green leaves everywhere that aren't even tied to anything.

2. I really want to change the skins and I've tried the way all the sites say(drop the new skin files into the minecraft.jar archive and load up the game) but the skins always stay the same for me...

I'm sure I have many other questions but this will suffice for now.

Dechaios said:
1. How the heck do you get the leaves to go away after you get rid of the tree trunk? It's not very pleasant to look at with all these green leaves everywhere that aren't even tied to anything.

You can manually destroy all the leaf blocks, or make sure the mass of leaves is not adjacent or connected to (via edge and/or corner) any trunk or dirt blocks. In this case, the leaves will gradually disappear on their own.

Dechaios said:

The leaves should disappear on their own if not connected to any wood blocks (there may be some wood blocks left among the leaves that you didn't notice, or the leaves may be in contact with leaves from another nearby tree). If not, you can just whack them away.

Dechaios said:

2. I really want to change the skins and I've tried the way all the sites say(drop the new skin files into the minecraft.jar archive and load up the game) but the skins always stay the same for me...

1. BURN THEM! The leaves burn super quick. (make sure you have gotten all the wood out first because it will burn forever.)

2. Dunno about the skins. sry ):

fresquito

Dechaios said:

1. You can always burn them, but beware there're no trees nearby or they will get ignited as well. Besides, they go away by themselves with enough time (or at least I'd swear they do).

2. You must open the .jar with winrar and add the files to the content.

DarkKyo

Okay so burn the leaves.. I think I tried putting a torch next to them once but nothing happened. Is there a way to burn stuff that I don't know about?

Also, I did open .jar with winrar and put the files in... chose "add and replace" and still the game looks like normal Minecraft...

Veritas_

Dechaios said:

1) Set them on fire with the flint tool. Be careful of nearby trees.

2) I changed my skin (Finn from Adventure Time) by uploading it to the Minecraft website under settings.

Edit: This is what I get for opening this in a tab to look at later. Super duper late reply. =/

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I think I would like the building and surviving a lot more equally if -

1. zombies, skeletons, spiders, or some combination of the three were a little bit tougher, and
2. those damnable creepers were done away with or nerfed. I can't stand those damn things. They'll one shot you and freaking devastate the surrounding area. God forbid you're playing the game while doing something else at the same time so you don't have the volume on or have it low.

upandaway

Philthy said:

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait for monsters and damage, but the way it is now is unbelievable. Single player is like watching I am Legend or something. It's okay, but not really. And unbelievably lonely.
There's more to the social aspect of Minecraft besides the multiplayer mode.

vermadas

Theoretically the leaves should leave on their own after you chop away the trunk, but I still have some leaves chilling up in the air from trees that I chopped when I started my world a couple months ago. I think if they are adjacent to other leaf blocks they might stick around.

WanderingWind

Twig said:
Do you really not see the inconsistencies in your post?

If literally all you cared about was building, you'd be playing with Legos instead of playing Minecraft.

I don't know why you're getting so defensive about this... There's no shame in liking the fact that the game has challenge. Just like there's no shame in wanting the game to have no challenge.

You're a fairly obnoxious individual. :lol

You think I'm being defensive...I'd classify it as curiosity. As in, why on earth are you so determined to tell people how they should play and what they enjoy about it? Stop telling people they're wrong, and let them play/enjoy the game however they want. I don't particularly care that you can't figure out how the ideas "challenge" and "building" intersect.

In any event, back to actual Minecraft discussion...

Deschaios, have you tried flint and steel on the leaves?

EDIT: LTTP on that one. :lol

fresquito

Dechaios said:
Okay so burn the leaves.. I think I tried putting a torch next to them once but nothing happened. Is there a way to burn stuff that I don't know about?

Also, I did open .jar with winrar and put the files in... chose "add and replace" and still the game looks like normal Minecraft...
Have you tried with different skins? Maybe the one you're trying is faulty?

vermadas said:
Theoretically the leaves should leave on their own after you chop away the trunk, but I still have some leaves chilling up in the air from trees that I chopped when I started my world a couple months ago. I think if they are adjacent to other leaf blocks they might stick around.

Your leaves will stay there if they are connected to a trunk or dirt block. Connections are made as long as the block is side, corner, or edge-adjacent to either a dirt block or trunk block, or if there is a connection via other leaves to a trunk or dirt block, again by side, corner, or edge-adjacency.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
cleared lower floor of chamber.
smelted some glass during the day, returned at night and saw a creeper in the build site.
ran off shouting about spiders.
returned, creeper was gone.
needs more torch.
wqnXV.jpg

Twig said:
You just don't get Minecraft, Reginald.

The killing is only a small, small part of it.

It's the surviving that people like. NOW do you get it? NOW will you stop making horrible comparisons?

Wow. You seriously are incapable of actually pulling context out of a sentence, comparison, or contrast aren't you? I know what minecraft is and is not. I have put well over 150 hours into this game. Anyway, since you seem to be wholly incapable of understanding a rudimentary idea or seem to lack any ability to pull context from a simple statement on a messaging forum I doubt you have anything worth saying that I want to read. I think the last 5 pages of this topic show exactly why you are here. Go argue with someone else because I am ignoring you now. The first and probably the last person too.

notsol337

marked forever
TheExecutive said:
Wow. You seriously are incapable of actually pulling context out of a sentence, comparison, or contrast aren't you? I know what minecraft is and is not. I have put well over 150 hours into this game. Anyway, since you seem to be wholly incapable of understanding a rudimentary idea or seem to lack any ability to pull context from a simple statement on a messaging forum I doubt you have anything worth saying that I want to read. I think the last 5 pages of this topic show exactly why you are here. Go argue with someone else because I am ignoring you now. The first and probably the last person too.

... You just made his day. Way to be too serious on an internet messaging forum, to boot.

Twig

Banned
WanderingWind said:
As in, why on earth are you so determined to tell people how they should play and what they enjoy about it? Stop telling people they're wrong, and let them play/enjoy the game however they want.
I have never, ever, EVER done this for any game EVER. (Except as a joke among friends!)

I dare you to find one post in this thread where I told anyone that they're playing the game wrong. IN FACT:
Me said:
You're perfectly entitled to like the game either way you want. With or without challenge. How you got anything else out of that paragraph is entirely fucking beyond me.
You said:
I don't particularly care that you can't figure out how the ideas "challenge" and "building" intersect.
But they DO for you. That's literally what I've been saying the entire time. You care about the building, but you also care about the challenge. You DON'T care exclusively about the building. I'm not TELLING you how to play. I'm IDENTIFYING how you play. If I had known you would get so defensive about being described, I would never have said a word on it, goddamn.
notsol337 said:
... You just made his day. Way to be too serious on an internet messaging forum, to boot.
It must be a trend in this thread. Talking to people makes them angry.

Meanwhile, I laugh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom