• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

owlbeak

Anyone else having trouble getting on Touch's server? I just get "Logging In..." and then "[MCAdmin] Took too long to log in".

edgefusion

Horsebite said:
Anyone else having trouble getting on Touch's server? I just get "Logging In..." and then "[MCAdmin] Took too long to log in".

It was lagging pretty badly earlier, probably too full of awesomeness.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
okay, built the main access column, hollowed out main stairway demolished construction access point.
glassed main hall way, built an access hallway and flooded it, begun glassing main stairway.

i think thats a good day. :p
sbLI1.jpg

you can see the hall at night!

notsol337

marked forever
Pandaman said:
okay, built the main access column, hollowed out main stairway demolished construction access point.
glassed main hall way, built an access hallway and flooded it, begun glassing main stairway.

i think thats a good day. :p
sbLI1.jpg

you can see the hall at night!

That is really awesome! I've been playing this on and off since July and I still haven't build underwater yet.

BooJoh

John said:
can you make wells in this game? i tried to cut through the ground and went to the ocean so there'd be a singular square of water inside but

the water just stops
If you just want the visual of a well, you could do something like this:

Code:
Top view:
O=stone, X=water

OOO
OXO
OOO

Side view:
O=stone, X=water, S=sand/dirt
 OXO
 OSO

Build your well with a hole as deep as you want it, put a sand/dirt block one block below where the water's surface should be, place the water block on top. Now remove the sand/dirt block and the water will flow down.

Bear in mind this won't flood an entire cavern at the bottom, you'd have to do that manually if you wanted it.

Also, scooping the water out with a bucket would empty your well. If you just want a well as an endless water source, make a 3x1 trough, dump water into the first and third block, the middle block will fill up. Scoop buckets from the middle and it'll refill every time.

thespot84 said:
I play MP, I always make sure it's daytime (!time ftw) I spawn/dupe all my mats and I build shit. And I like it.

Take that!

How do I do !time? I would love to play constantly in daytime.

Jokey665

BooJoh said:
Also, scooping the water out with a bucket would empty your well. If you just want a well as an endless water source, make a 3x1 trough, dump water into the first and third block, the middle block will fill up. Scoop buckets from the middle and it'll refill every time.
I prefer using a 2x2 where you place two buckets in opposite corners diagonally. You can pull from any of the four squares and have it refill.

Twig said:
I have never, ever, EVER done this for any game EVER. (Except as a joke among friends!)

I dare you to find one post in this thread where I told anyone that they're playing the game wrong. IN FACT:

You're perfectly entitled to like the game either way you want. With or without challenge. How you got anything else out of that paragraph is entirely fucking beyond me.

But they DO for you. That's literally what I've been saying the entire time. You care about the building, but you also care about the challenge. You DON'T care exclusively about the building. I'm not TELLING you how to play. I'm IDENTIFYING how you play. If I had known you would get so defensive about being described, I would never have said a word on it, goddamn.

It must be a trend in this thread. Talking to people makes them angry.

Meanwhile, I laugh!

Reading your posts makes me want to punch you in the face. Of course, that's the reaction you want to get, so good on you.

Twig

Banned
HappyBivouac said:
Just don't respond to this crap dude.
Yeah maybe, but where's the fun in remaining silent while people run rampant with ignorance and misinformation? My purpose in life is to educate!

I've read every page in this thread and Twig is not the asshole here. It seems like nobody understand what he meant when he was talking to that other guy about how he obviously likes more than just building since he said so in his own posts.

thespot84

VGChampion said:
How do I do !time? I would love to play constantly in daytime.

if you play on an mcadmin or other wrapped server, like touch's, you can use the !time function.

!time morning

or

!time 6

will make it daytime for just you.

Kritz

Banned
Wormdundee said:
I've read every page in this thread and Twig is not the asshole here. It seems like nobody understand what he meant when he was talking to that other guy about how he obviously likes more than just building since he said so in his own posts.

I think people understood him fine enough. And I didn't really see too many actually disagree with him, per se. Just a case of people misunderstanding each other.

And for a guy who isn't defensive, Twig sure defended himself a lot.

Twig

Banned
Log4Girlz said:
Oh shit that dragon head idea is cool haha. I also liked their previous comic about minecraft, had me chuckling.
o: it is

Gives me an idea!

Kritz said:
And for a guy who isn't defensive, Twig sure defended himself a lot.
I did say in that post, I think, that I do feel like I should defend myself against false accusations! If not, I should have, and I am going to henceforth pretend like I did. Also, WanderingWind definitely wanted to disagree with me, for whatever reason. Maybe he hates me for other unrelated reasons, I don't know. ):

Whatever, though, it's all in the past now, and I certainly have nowhere near enough emotional investment to let it bother me extensively. I still wish we could have had that discussion I mentioned as the subject is an interesting one, I think, but alas, this is clearly not the thread for it. MINECRAFT MINECRAFT AWESOME ETC.

Twig

Banned
Tryckser said:
I tried to build a dragon head lair, but it looked like a snakehead in the end, so I am currently building snake lair! :D
I am going to make the Mt. Rushmore of Minecraft. U: Not sure, yet, how I specifically want it to go, but, yeah!

Also: going to make it Richie Rich style, with a secret lair inside the heads. :3 And have a rollercoaster neighboring the neighboring mansion ohnogettingmoreambitiousbythesecond

Maybe I'll even jump on the GAF server for the first time ever and do it there. (But I think I want to wait until the Halloween update at least, for whatever other cool additions he adds besides the already mentioned stuff.)

EDIT OOOOOH

You know what would be super awesome is if you build a really tall mountain by hand, the game recognizes it as a "mountaintop" biome, and it dynamically gets super cold and snowy at the top OOOOOOOOO:

oh man now i'm going to be disappointed when this doesn't happen ):

Twig

Banned
oh jesus now i want to make that dragon pathway thing from dragonball z

i haven't even watched that show in YEARS

BooJoh

I'd love to see that comic made into a machinima.

And altitude-based weather could be pretty cool. Like if anything above the clouds in a "normal" biome was snowy, and then it got patchy for a few tiles down before going back to normal.

Twig said:
You know what would be super awesome is if you build a really tall mountain by hand, the game recognizes it as a "mountaintop" biome, and it dynamically gets super cold and snowy at the top OOOOOOOOO:

oh man now i'm going to be disappointed when this doesn't happen ):
I think it's going to happen. Because probably it will be everthing from height X gets snowy, at least it would be an easy and logical way to implement the snow biome.

Rubius

Tryckser said:
I think it's going to happen. Because probably it will be everthing from height X gets snowy, at least it would be an easy and logical way to implement the snow biome.
And maybe Damage by cold? Where you need Wool Armor and Hide armor to stop getting damage?

Here's a snake I made in my friends' and I cheat world (just for different materials) awhile back. Eventually replaced the cobblestone with stone to make it look better.

VsUlM.jpg

Rubius said:
And maybe Damage by cold? Where you need Wool Armor and Hide armor to stop getting damage?

Thats a good idea. Needs to be fairly slow though. Also, heavy armor in deserts could have the same effect.

Jasoco

Banned
So I was digging a really deep tunnel and was putting in some single hole skylights when I fell down one too far and died. Sadly I was in some unknown direction from my Home point and once again am lost trying to figure out where all my stuff is now lying. Fortunately I put a lot of it in a chest, but not all of it, and I can't find it. And now it's dark... so I get to wait 12 minutes for daytime to come back. Whee... I love this game! :lol

I'd been building tall towers as landmarks. Some have torches on them so I'll be able to find them at night. Guess I didn't build enough.

upandaway

Jasoco said:
I'd been building tall towers as landmarks. Some have torches on them so I'll be able to find them at night. Guess I didn't build enough.
If you can find a redstone you could make a compass that always points to your spawn point.

Jasoco

Banned
I don't find it that much unless I go really deep, which is what I was doing until I died. :lol And now I just died again while looking for my home to start looking again.

Edit: Yes! I found my tunnel again after fucking around somewhere else and dying once again while building a "landmark tower". I've got these things all over this world. I think I'll connect them all together via a series of sky bridges. Wow, that'll be dangerous...

w1ndst0rm

Still loving this game. Still playing way too late.

Last night I built some ships and explored a group of islands. I was loaded up with bacon, bread, arrows and swords and ready to make a midnight stand agianst whatever I might find.

On the way back, game days later, all my boats were gone and I was on the last island before my house. I could see my light-house-keep and all I had to do was survive one more night and swim home. I was down to an axe, a hoe and a bread. I fought off the zombies until the sun came up.

I made a break for it and dove in just as the sun started to torch a skeleton on the beach in front of my back door. The cursed thing caught sight of me and jumped in the water to get me . . . and the holy fire went out. I screamed, "What have I done!" And mashed the 'w' and 'spacebar' all the way around to my main door.

I love this game.

Jasoco

Banned
I still haven't built any buildings yet. I've been busy mining enough rock and stuff for later. Shame when the update comes out I'll have to start new to get whatever new features he throws in. (Probably)

Found some Diamond ore blocks and immediately after a Redstone block. Just need to make an Iron axe to mine them with. :D

Jasoco

Banned
Question about the compass. Does the RED or the SILVER end point to my home? Because I have a suspicion that it's the silver end and not the red end. I don't want to build my bridge in the wrong direction.

notsol337

marked forever
Jasoco said:
Question about the compass. Does the RED or the SILVER end point to my home? Because I have a suspicion that it's the silver end and not the red end. I don't want to build my bridge in the wrong direction.

The red end points to your spawn. You want to Put Fred In Bed!

Compasses! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Twig

Banned
Tryckser said:
By golly, I hope you're right!

I agree that it is a logical way to implement the snow biome, buuut then you run into the problem of seeing snow way high above you when there's no ground for it to fall on, so it just... melts before it reaches you? HMMM. It would have to ONLY trigger if there's actually a place for the snow to fall.

It would be funny to build a few really tall pillars and see only a few columns of snow falling.

(Expecting realistic weather simulations in this game is a bit much, I know. I suspect you will only actually "see" the snow falling if you are on a tile that is in the snow biome.)

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Twig said:
By golly, I hope you're right!

I agree that it is a logical way to implement the snow biome, buuut then you run into the problem of seeing snow way high above you when there's no ground for it to fall on, so it just... melts before it reaches you? HMMM.
you've almost discovered cirrus clouds, keep going.

It would have to ONLY trigger if there's actually a place for the snow to fall.
shucks, so close.

Twig

Banned
Pandaman said:
you mean just like every time it rains?
HAR HAR HAR

You're so clever.

Of course I know this is how rain works, but we're talkin' 'bout miinecraaaft (i just wanted an excuse to listen to this song again - it's pretty good!)

Pandaman said:
you've almost discovered cirrus clouds, keep going.

shucks, so close.
oh wow, i know how weather works in real life, dumbass U:

upandaway

For the heck of it I went into the cave that I died in while exploring, put the difficulty on Peaceful, quickly gathered around 200 torches, and went crazy. The speed in which I was covering ground was pretty much the speed of walking in a straight line.

Ran out of torches. I was already lost for a good while at this point so I just dug straight up (break the block above, jump and put a block underneath), gathered 300 more torches.

Ran out of the goddamn torches. There's still about a billion split paths that I ignored and I haven't hit a dead end that required me to go back more than the last split. I must have seen about 30 diamonds at this point and enough gold to make a house out of the condensed block (tons of redstone too). Before this point the caves I explored never had anything other than iron (lava included), so I was freaking out here.

Seriously it's no wonder I died there. My pride is left intact.

So, yeah, eyeopener. I'm not seeing this game again until the update.

Jasoco

Banned
Every time I see the sunrise I expect the Zelda "Hyrule Field" theme to start from Ocarina of Time. :lol

I kinda wish it would.

Also, for some reason, the piano music in this game makes me think of Eternal Sunshine's soundtrack. And gives me the same emotions. I love this game.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So, my pyramid of fire and water was coming along nice. Then I flooded it with lava by breaking the wrong glass brick. . Great googly moogly. :lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Pandaman said:
i have wandered into a dangerous place....

best get to work where its safe.

my mines airlock just beside the pyramid:

ZealousD likes this.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Buying this today, Ready to stick minecraft in my veins.

I already have a world from when it was free for a weekend. Cant wait to go home!

Maybe I'm just getting older, but this game is making me hate sandbox style games. The other night I played from 4-9, and a little after 9, while surveying the land around me from the tallest tower of my castle I thought, "I just spent 5 hours digging holes and chopping down trees to build all this. Was it even fun? What the hell did I do it for?"

I just felt like I was wasting time. Now, granted, it's a lot of fun going down in the deep natural caverns and finding monster spawns and shit (I found two a couple hundred meters from each other!), but doing all the prep work so I can go out and adventure is just blah. And then when I'm all done adventuring what do I have to show for it? The chance to do it again?

I don't know, I so want to love this game because it's just so well made and has a really interesting premise, but I need some sort of goal to reach, a story to be told, a conclusion.

:(

(Seriously, I'm struggling to figure out how I don't love a game where I get to punch cows for clothes.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom