• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know you play too much minecraft when you're walkin down the street and you look up at the clouds to try and see which direction you're going.
I actually had to stop myself from doing this the other day.

deadnoob

If I wanted to find minerals (gold, iron etc) is it better to find caves or dig my own? Every where I've dug down I've barely found any minerals but with the caves, I just walk around in them for a while but I will eventually find some on the walls/floor.

Or is everything just completely randomly generated?

deadnoob said:
If I wanted to find minerals (gold, iron etc) is it better to find caves or dig my own? Every where I've dug down I've barely found any minerals but with the caves, I just walk around in them for a while but I will eventually find some on the walls/floor.

Ok, so what I have found is that every mineral other than diamonds are easier found in huge cave systems. You can find all the iron, gold, redstone, and coal you could ever want out of huge cave systems. However, digging straight down to the bedrock and creating a massive mine has resulted in more diamond than any other method. Others may have different experiences but that has been mine.

deadnoob said:

everything is randomly generated

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Finally hit the bottom of the world through this massive cave system. The feeling i got when i realized i did was great!

Havent managed to find diamond yet but a good chunk of red stone.

Fisticuffs said:
everything is randomly generated

i dont think that is completely true. You never find diamond at shallow depths...

I have also found that if there is dirt or gravel around lava near the bottom of the world it is almost guaranteed to have some diamond someplace in there. I always destroy all of the lava by placing dirt blocks across the lava until the pool is completely gone.

Jasoco

Banned
Pandaman said:
well you login.
and you're all like 'oh a sandbox game where you can buildstuff, lolz'.
and you build a 3x3 house and decide that you're going to a). find the edge of the map or
b). mine down to the bottom of the map.
why? because lol these games are too small for my imagination lol.

about 3 hours later you'll have long since given up your failed quest to find the maps limits and you'll be smelting ore like it was a spoon of crack in a mens bathroom.
Damn, my reply was bottom paged but yours is more awesome.

I just wish I had more RAM (I have 4GB) since I occasionally have freeze ups while it loads in other parts of the map and unloads older unneeded ones. Still, amazing that this game can be unlimited in how much space there is and it generates the world so fucking well. The caves and hills and mountains and oceans are so amazing.

I successfully built my sky bridge from my mine tunnel to my home area where I have built an awesome tower in the water with a spiral staircase and lookout at top. I call it Moon Tower and Sunrise Bridge.

Also, I'm trying out the BrownCraft theme. It's pretty nice looking though no longer retro. It reminds me of those DOOM mods that make the graphics higher definition. Nice looking but not realistic. I should try making my own.

Rubius

TheExecutive said:
i dont think that is completely true. You never find diamond at shallow depths...

I have also found that if there is dirt or gravel around lava near the bottom of the world it is almost guaranteed to have some diamond someplace in there. I always destroy all of the lava by placing dirt blocks across the lava until the pool is completely gone.

Everything is Randomly generated with a few rules.

Iron is 5 block deep
Redstone is 50 block deep
Diamonds 80 block deep

Other than that, the location are generally in Caves or around. So, investigate caves. Its more efficient than digging for hours in a direction.
The way the game is made is "Cave system with some uncommon block attached to it, and the rest of the map is Stone"

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Jasoco said:
I just wish I had more RAM (I have 4GB) since I occasionally have freeze ups while it loads in other parts of the map and unloads older unneeded ones.

That is odd, Im on 2GB atm and i never have freeze ups + i stream on Livestream on High quality. Maybe you have something in the background causing that.

Minecraft is on max draw distance. Graphics on Fancy.

Plaguefox

Rubius said:
The way the game is made is "Cave system with some uncommon block attached to it, and the rest of the map is Stone"
I'm not sure about this. In looking at the layers of map data for my private server, I'm seeing a map of various ores that is far too evenly distributed to be influenced by the cave systems present. There's just as much diamond in completely solid stone areas as there is in cave-riddled areas. I think there might be a sliver more on account of caves removing material, but that's negligible and rendered moot by the time difference between cave spelunking and making your own caves.

Can anyone confirm one way or the other with real data?

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah. It's random, but it's logical. I assume it first creates a general design for the world, then gives it random caves, adds water and rivers, adds lava under and above ground, adds minerals in correct locations. It does do weird things like create floating islands occasionally for some reason. While that's cool I hope it is fixed for more realism. I started a world once and just as it loaded, a whole shitload of gravel blocks fell from the sky like rain because they had spawned in the air but gravel blocks don't stick to walls so they fall as soon as their supports are removed. Sand works similarly but will stick until a connected block is removed.

Blizzard

Banned
I feel like surreal, floating islands are one of the awesome terrain generator features. Ideally, adding back (apparently the original) options to make the terrain generator focus on more floating islands, more water, or whatever when creating a world seems like the best solution to me.

Jasoco

Banned
Metalic Sand said:
That is odd, Im on 2GB atm and i never have freeze ups + i stream on Livestream on High quality. Maybe you have something in the background causing that.

Minecraft is on max draw distance. Graphics on Fancy.
How much free RAM do you end up when you are playing for a while? I usually have 2GB free of 4GB on my MBP with Chrome not running. Once Chrome and Minecraft are running my RAM goes down to about 500MB until it runs down to less than a MB.

There is nothing unusual running that would cause it. I run a clean house here. No weird processes get past me without being killed off.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Jasoco said:
How much free RAM do you end up when you are playing for a while? I usually have 2GB free of 4GB on my MBP with Chrome not running. Once Chrome and Minecraft are running my RAM goes down to about 500MB until it runs down to less than a MB.

There is nothing unusual running that would cause it. I run a clean house here. No weird processes get past me without being killed off.

Minecraft says i have about a gig free i think. I have Firefox+Zune open as well.

The only thing i can think of is you have limit framerate off possibly.

thespot84

you win minecraft....you win:
battersea.png

Blizzard

Banned
They're bedrock and unbreakable, at the bottom of the world. Sometimes it's uneven, and be careful around it, since if you fall in a hole into nothingness in bedrock, you'll fall to your death and lose everything you're carrying.

r1chard

I wish I could turn all this useless redstone I've mined off the floor of the map into diamond... I have 512 chunks of the crap just sitting in a chest, and these days I just don't waste my time mining it unless it's in the way.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Damnit, I have my mine all even and the bedrock will make in uneven...

Edit: I just found a funny audio bug. If you have alot of stairs leading down and you go down 10-15 steps real quick the game doesnt do the audio for them until you stop, So you suddenly have tons of steps all quick :lol

Edit 2:
VKRgEl.jpg

YES! 20 hours+ later Diamond!

BooJoh

Metalic Sand said:
Wth is this

I cant destroy it.
IIRC bedrock only occupies the bottom 5 layers of the map. So if you keep your mine floor above that then the bedrock shouldn't get in the way.

On the other hand, if you find a void hole where you can see past the bedrock, and are careful not to fall in it, it can work as a window so you can tell if it's day or night.

Blizzard said:
They're bedrock and unbreakable, at the bottom of the world. Sometimes it's uneven, and be careful around it, since if you fall in a hole into nothingness in bedrock, you'll fall to your death and lose everything you're carrying.
Waatttt... that's good to know.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
thespot84 said:
you win minecraft....you win:
http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww204/thespot84/battersea.png[/IMG]
so freakin huge.

stop building awesome things! it makes one upping you surface dwellers harder!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Rubius said:
Everything is Randomly generated with a few rules.

Iron is 5 block deep
Redstone is 50 block deep
Diamonds 80 block deep

Other than that, the location are generally in Caves or around. So, investigate caves. Its more efficient than digging for hours in a direction.

So, wait, you only have to dig 5 deep for iron? I never do this, but ....

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

vermadas

Metalic Sand said:
Edit: I just found a funny audio bug. If you have alot of stairs leading down and you go down 10-15 steps real quick the game doesnt do the audio for them until you stop, So you suddenly have tons of steps all quick :lol

It does the same thing with sneaking for me.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Goddamnit guys your GAF world is a terrifying universe of dedication and exquisite craftmanship. ZealousD's house is immaculate especially and I haven't seen everything there is to see.

Also I got lost for about half an hour in the underground caverns. I was worried I would die and leave you all a little SovanJedi-shaped skellington in the caverns. :<

Pandaman's underwater glass dome is sexy.

Just picked this up the other day and I absolutely love it! I think my favorite aspect is the survival horror twist it has.

I find myself toiling away underground to find alternate routes throughout the land, while I hear faint moans and hisses coming from the darkness. It gives a feeling of such raw adventure and makes every minute a treat. :D

I need to expand at some point, as I'm too paranoid to leave my current fort. I've been expanding my hut into a mountain top castle, as a means to survey the land, but a local lake is just begging for some beachfront property.

I felt like a tourist when I went to GafLand, such amazing work being done there. Am I allowed to work on stuff there or do I just bask in the glory of the awesome craftsmanship?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
deadnoob said:

The reason caves seem to have more minerals in them is simply because there are more exposed rock/dirt/gravel faces below sea level in them.

The minerals are randomly distributed according to the rules posted below (5 blocks below sea starts iron, etc). However, if you dig your own mine, you're not exposing nearly as much "surface" area as a large cave system.

So yeah, always explore caves extensively to find the most minerals.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
MiniBossBattle said:
I felt like a tourist when I went to GafLand, such amazing work being done there. Am I allowed to work on stuff there or do I just bask in the glory of the awesome craftsmanship?
feel free to clear a spot and get dirty!

i will need some hands for my project soon enough. :p

i've already cot some great help with extending my waterfall. ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom