• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
Dave Inc. said:
Maybe I'm just getting older, but this game is making me hate sandbox style games. The other night I played from 4-9, and a little after 9, while surveying the land around me I thought, "I just spent 5 hours digging holes and chopping down trees to build all this. Was it even fun? What the hell did I do it for?"

I just felt like I was wasting time. Now, granted, it's a lot of fun going down in the deep natural caverns and finding monster spawns and shit (I found two a couple hundred meters from each other!), but doing all the prep work so I can go out and adventure is just blah. And then when I'm all done adventuring what do I have to show for it? The chance to do it again?

I don't know, I so want to love this game because it's just so well made and has a really interesting premise, but I need some sort of goal to reach, a story to be told, a conclusion.

:(

(Seriously, I'm struggling to figure out how I don't love a game where I get to punch cows for clothes.)
The stories are the stories you make.

Exploring is the best avenue for solving your problem, probably. U: Just pick a direction and go until you find a cave, then explore the cave, then etc.

Or just wait until beta when the game will be (theoretically) feature-complete.

Dave Inc. said:
Maybe I'm just getting older, but this game is making me hate sandbox style games. The other night I played from 4-9, and a little after 9, while surveying the land around me I thought, "I just spent 5 hours digging holes and chopping down trees to build all this. Was it even fun? What the hell did I do it for?"

I just felt like I was wasting time. Now, granted, it's a lot of fun going down in the deep natural caverns and finding monster spawns and shit (I found two a couple hundred meters from each other!), but doing all the prep work so I can go out and adventure is just blah. And then when I'm all done adventuring what do I have to show for it? The chance to do it again?

I don't know, I so want to love this game because it's just so well made and has a really interesting premise, but I need some sort of goal to reach, a story to be told, a conclusion.

(Seriously, I'm struggling to figure out how I don't love a game where I get to punch cows for clothes.)
just stop thinking like some xbox achivematrophy whore i guess

MNC

When I started thinking of the same things as you, why is this even fun; I started building.

That's why it's fun. (IMO, to refrain from getting back in a BUILD VS MINE loop :lol)

MNC said:
When I started thinking of the same things as you, why is this even fun; I started building.

Same here - whenever I get bored or am questioning the amount of time I'm sinking into the game, I just explore and find somewhere new to build - let the terrain inspire the buildings I make.

MNC

Spookie said:
This shit is why I can no longer play on normal. :(
You just made me put you on my ignore list. Congratulations!

SYKKKKEE! This was a throwback at that guy that put me on it for saying one could play on peaceful when building, normal when... playing normal.

Twig said:
The stories are the stories you make.

Exploring is the best avenue for solving your problem, probably. U: Just pick a direction and go until you find a cave, then explore the cave, then etc.

Or just wait until beta when the game will be (theoretically) feature-complete.
Exploring really is where I have the most fun, but eventually my gear starts breaking down and then it's back to getting geared up. I suppose my main problem with the game is that I'm very goal oriented, so when I'm working on something I'll really jump into it full-bore. The problem is that once I've completed one of my goals, sometimes I just stop and wonder, "What did I get out of that? Was it fun? Was it worth my time or should I have been doing something else? Should I set another goal or will it just be the same thing again when I'm done?"

I just really like being productive and working towards completion--even with my favorite games ever I find it really difficult to give them a second play-through because I've already done it once. That's just how I work I guess, no negativity meant towards the game or its fans.

out0v0rder said:
just stop thinking like some xbox achivematrophy whore i guess
Look at the silly thing you said.

Achievements don't mean anything to me because they're just carrots on a stick to make you play the game more, I don't even check for them unless there's some sort of in-game reward attached to them. Even if there's a tangible reward for them I'll rarely go for it unless it's something that really appeals to me, and that's only in an MMO, I don't care one bit about single player achievements.

Yes I got a stupid red protodrake in WoW, at least the achievements for that were interesting and for some, challenging.

To sum up: I think I'm just going through a phase right now where I'm having trouble justifying my gaming habit (or at least the hours I devote to it) to myself.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Dave Inc. said:

I don't know if the game is well-made per say, but it certainly scratches an itch that few other games do.

JoeBoy101

Twig said:

This. I was getting bored in my main world and reviewing my mining complex until i had to go somewhere IRL and started a new world on a computer where I was at. (ASIDE: This game is so awesome when on the road because it can run on almost anyone's computer) I immediately got sunk back into the game, trying to build a new home into this natural arch perched between two mountains.

Twig

Banned
crowphoenix said:
Moss. And boy was he unhappy when I told him the roller coaster wasn't working yet.
Aw, poor guy!
Exploring really is where I have the most fun, but eventually my gear starts breaking down and then it's back to getting geared up. I suppose my main problem with the game is that I'm very goal oriented, so when I'm working on something I'll really jump into it full-bore. The problem is that once I've completed one of my goals, sometimes I just stop and wonder, "What did I get out of that? Was it fun? Was it worth my time or should I have been doing something else? Should I set another goal or will it just be the same thing again when I'm done?"

I just really like being productive and working towards completion--even with my favorite games ever I find it really difficult to give them a second play-through because I've already done it once. That's just how I work I guess, no negativity meant towards the game or its fans.
In these kinds of games you make your own goals. That's really all there is to it.

I suspect that, as I mentioned earlier, it will be easier to make different goals once the game is more feature complete. For example, clearing out a nearby gobbo village, finding the perfect snowy mountaintop for your latest project idea, fishing, etc.

I mean, if you're not really enjoying it anymore, stop playing! You can always come back later.

On the other hand: stop worrying about "was it fun". If it wasn't, you would have (or should have) quit ages ago!

Damn, I think my server is fucked. The spawn point changes every now and then and when starting up there is an error (regarding the starting area).
Is there a way to solve this? I read it's because of some corrupt chunks but how do I change those?

kodt

Banned
Dave Inc. said:
To sum up: I think I'm just going through a phase right now where I'm having trouble justifying my gaming habit (or at least the hours I devote to it) to myself.

Yeah this was exactly what I took from your post. I have had the same thoughts after spending entire nights playing Minecraft and getting no shopping/laundry/cleaning done. You just feel like you are wasting your life away.

Even worse I have a large back-log I want to get through, but just end up playing Minecraft. :lol

Twig

Banned
I don't consider enjoying things a waste of my time. :3 Sure, you have to make time for important things that NEED GIT DUN, but fuck that, yo.

w1ndst0rm

kodt said:
Yeah this was exactly what I took from your post. I have had the same thoughts after spending entire nights playing Minecraft and getting no shopping/laundry/cleaning done. You just feel like you are wasting your life away.

Even worse I have a large back-log I want to get through, but just end up playing Minecraft. :lol

This is normal.
If RL things aren't getting done you gotta quit.
Once all of my 'responsitivities' as a dad/husband are done I can play all I want. Even though I haven't slept in days I can enjoy the game because all that life stuff is in line.

If you have things you aren't doing and think about them while playing that isn't very fun.

Dave Inc. said:
Maybe I'm just getting older, but this game is making me hate sandbox style games. The other night I played from 4-9, and a little after 9, while surveying the land around me from the tallest tower of my castle I thought, "I just spent 5 hours digging holes and chopping down trees to build all this. Was it even fun? What the hell did I do it for?"

I personally try to go for structures that wrap naturally to the terrain and let the terrain inspire what I build. reduces grinding and mostly just leaves exploring and building. if that doesnt work, come back in 6 months and see if he's started makign adventure mode.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Q2GaQ.jpg

i think this'll make a nice entrance, the real project starts now. :p

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Ahhhhh to think I used to be so proud of this. It was my first big project and I thought it was cool shit
Screenshot2010-10-06at33559PM.png

Then I built this and thought I had outdone myself. (still need to fill in the platform)
Screenshot2010-10-06at33744PM.png

Then I started working on some weird triangle structure thing, which I plan to finish soon
Screenshot2010-10-06at34152PM.png

But all of my past achievements are ass next to the time and effort I put into my fortress of doooooooom. It's still not finished, but I just love staring at it
Screenshot2010-10-06at33514PM.png

I love this game

funkmastergeneral said:
Nice boat in the last pic. I wish we could create ships that actually move, but I doubt that's possible in such a simple game.
Would be funny if you could build structures on top of the existing boats in the game, so that the top could be a massive aircraft carrier but it's all riding on a tiny dingy.

Aquavelvaman said:
Would be funny if you could build structures on top of the existing boats in the game, so that the top could be a massive aircraft carrier but it's all riding on a tiny dingy.

This would be great. Especially when you see your massive cruiser drift away at high speeds when you try to dismount :D.

Rubius

Dave Inc. said:
Maybe I'm just getting older, but this game is making me hate sandbox style games. The other night I played from 4-9, and a little after 9, while surveying the land around me from the tallest tower of my castle I thought, "I just spent 5 hours digging holes and chopping down trees to build all this. Was it even fun? What the hell did I do it for?"

Just go adventure time. I dont spend hours building things. I build a small house, and collect Iron, coal and red stone. And boom. I walk and check out the wonders of Randomly generated worlds.
Minecraft world is up to 10 time the size of the earth. 10 time. You can walk in one direction for Weeks and Weeks and still wont see a end.
That's pretty badass. And with the new update, who will add Biomes, new monsters, New area, it will make it even more fun!

fresquito

Dave Inc. said:

Probably you relate value to productivity. I, myself, ouldn't care less. Playing a videogame is never productive, until you get paid because of it. So all games are time sinkers. That said, when I play Minecraft I can look back and see what I invested my time on. And this is one of the only games I can do that. Sure, I can check my TF2 stats and see I've clocked in close to 500 hours and done these many achievements and this many scores and all that, but what is that? It's just numbers that don't even reflect the fun I've gotten from the game.

On the other hand, each time I see my house, and walls and big statue and huge underground corridors, I see what I've spent my time on, I can clearly see my own input. So, yeah, in the end I'm wasting time, but I'm leaving some creation behind. So, in some way, it's much less of a time waster than most every game out there.

But if you're not a creative person, in any way, I can see why you see you're wasting your time.

Philthy

Dave Inc. said:

Yeah, if you've got very little free time, Minecraft, like MMOs, is probably one of the games someone would want to avoid. As for goals, Notch has mentioned that he intends to add other modes of gameplay, some with probably goals in mind. When he met with Valve people, they suggested he add in goals for people to work toward to flesh the game out more. At the very least, he wants a very robust modding system so people could theoretically code their own pre-canned adventures and game modes.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
JoeBoy101 said:
siddx

Are you using a texture replacer there? Also, I really like the Tower of Lava.

Yeah just the painterly pack. I like that its subtle. Changes enough without going overboard.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
JoeBoy101 said:
siddx

Are you using a texture replacer there? Also, I really like the Tower of Lava.

He's using the Painterly Pack.

Edit: Dah he beat me to it! Anyway it's what I use too. Cuts out a lot of anti-aliasing on glass on cobblestone, which is the best part about it.

Caesar III said:
Damn, I think my server is fucked. The spawn point changes every now and then and when starting up there is an error (regarding the starting area).
Is there a way to solve this? I read it's because of some corrupt chunks but how do I change those?
Found a way myself. My level.dat was fucked and I used an older version of it instead. Praise the backups. It works again and the error is gone. Cool

Pappasman

So I just found diamond for the first time. Is there a best use for diamond? I'm thinking about crafting a pickaxe, but im not sure.

fresquito said:
But if you're not a creative person, in any way, I can see why you see you're wasting your time.
Well that's a crappy way of putting it. I do enjoy building things and designing things, I'm an engineer and musician for chrissakes. It's just that when I've finished a project in minecraft, I don't feel a sense of accomplishment. I'll finish it and think, well that's a cool thing I made, can't do anything with it at all, but it sure is cool looking.

Of course, as I type this, I'm out adventuring in this game. Stupid Minecraft! Stop mysteriously absorbing my time!

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Can you create infinite lava by doing the 4x4 thing?

If not ill just have to make myself a path to the bottom of the world with lots of buckets :lol

Sciz

Metalic Sand said:
Can you create infinite lava by doing the 4x4 thing?

If not ill just have to make myself a path to the bottom of the world with lots of buckets :lol
Nope. Lava doesn't spawn more lava in the same way water does.

Dave Inc. said:
Well that's a crappy way of putting it. I do enjoy building things and designing things, I'm an engineer and musician for chrissakes. It's just that when I've finished a project in minecraft, I don't feel a sense of accomplishment. I'll finish it and think, well that's a cool thing I made, can't do anything with it at all, but it sure is cool looking.

Of course, as I type this, I'm out adventuring in this game. Stupid Minecraft! Stop mysteriously absorbing my time!
Perhaps you'd enjoy multiplayer more, so that you aren't alone in admiring your creations.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Sciz said:
Nope. Lava doesn't spawn more lava in the same way water does.

Perhaps you'd enjoy multiplayer more, so that you aren't alone in admiring your creations.

The bottom of the world is infinite lava though right?

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Metalic Sand said:
The bottom of the world is infinite lava though right?

I believe the bottom of the world is bedrock/Adminium which is indestructible dark rock.

Edit: Wait, it's still void in multiplayer?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Campster said:
I believe the bottom of the world is bedrock/Adminium which is indestructible dark rock.

Edit: Wait, it's still void in multiplayer?
there's a hole to the void in the football field.

the gaf server has taught me that having infinite landmarks is alot like having no landmarks.

oh im by the big lava/water/tower/pixelart thing. you cant miss it.

that collosium though. damn. hope i get to work with a team on something like that at some point.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Guess ill stream for awhile, Im still not sure how i talk yet in chat while im in game so i dont say anything or read chat really.

Livestream.com/MetalicSand

Twig

Banned
Cereal KiIIer said:
Can someone explain to me why this game is so popular??? I know nothing about it and would like to know if it's worth playing.
Reading the thread would probably help.

Jasoco

Banned
Cereal KiIIer said:
Can someone explain to me why this game is so popular??? I know nothing about it and would like to know if it's worth playing.
Just try it. The free version on the site is just a taste. The full game has more and is amazing. The normal game has more work than the classic one though but it's worth it to build your own endless empire out of blocks.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Cereal KiIIer said:
well you login.
and you're all like 'oh a sandbox game where you can buildstuff, lolz'.
and you build a 3x3 house and decide that you're going to a). find the edge of the map or
b). mine down to the bottom of the map.
why? because lol these games are too small for my imagination lol.

about 3 hours later you'll have long since given up your failed quest to find the maps limits and you'll be smelting ore like it was a spoon of crack in a mens bathroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom