• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelseph

Sometimes the songs of minecraft fill me with a beautiful sadness and I feel like crying. But that is not a bad thing because I love them.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

the server update killed all the work on the waterfall. :(

it reverted back to when i was building the access stairs. :eek:

joelseph said:
Sometimes the songs of minecraft fill me with a beautiful sadness and I feel like crying. But that is not a bad thing because I love them.

I actually emailed c418 a few minutes ago asking if he'd like to collaborate/remix/let me do a remix. I think we both have compositional styles that would work well together, although it could be I'm just flattering myself too much. :lol

The minecraft tunes are wonderfully atmospheric yet memorable. Really great stuff and works perfectly with the game.

Been watching so many videos lately and I really really want to play this. Sadly I don't think my old macbook would run it smoothly :(

Iron E Man said:
Been watching so many videos lately and I really really want to play this. Sadly I don't think my old macbook would run it smoothly :(

I've played on my Macbook before. Try out the create mode on the website and see how it runs for you.

VGChampion said:
I've played on my Macbook before. Try out the create mode on the website and see how it runs for you.

Classic/creative mode isn't really an accurate representation of how Infdev will run on your machine, to be honest. Classic needs a lot less horsepower to run smoothly.

Haunted

Pandaman said:
well you login.
and you're all like 'oh a sandbox game where you can buildstuff, lolz'.
and you build a 3x3 house and decide that you're going to a). find the edge of the map or
b). mine down to the bottom of the map.
why? because lol these games are too small for my imagination lol.

about 3 hours later you'll have long since given up your failed quest to find the maps limits and you'll be smelting ore like it was a spoon of crack in a mens bathroom.
:lol

I have a very lame question that only exists because this is the first PC game I've played for more than a few minutes in about 15 years.

So, I'm playing the Mac client at home, and PC at work. Is there any way to bring my work world home to play on? I only ask since I noticed my home world didn't show up at work, which leads me to believe that it saves locally. Or something.

Thanks!

rocksolidaudio said:
I have a very lame question that only exists because this is the first PC game I've played for more than a few minutes in about 15 years.

So, I'm playing the Mac client at home, and PC at work. Is there any way to bring my work world home to play on? I only ask since I noticed my home world didn't show up at work, which leads me to believe that it saves locally. Or something.

Thanks!

This should be a good place to start. http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tutorials/Saved_Data_Dropbox_Guide

Jasoco

Banned
I'm in the middle (Well beginning) of making something I plan on making huge, but with the next update coming, anyone think I should wait? Will Biomes be retroactive or will you need to start a new world to get them? How about the fish and other stuff? From what I've read every update with new world stuff required new worlds to be created. So I want to know whether I should build my giant castle now or wait?

Jasoco said:
I'm in the middle (Well beginning) of making something I plan on making huge, but with the next update coming, anyone think I should wait? Will Biomes be retroactive or will you need to start a new world to get them? How about the fish and other stuff? From what I've read every update with new world stuff required new worlds to be created. So I want to know whether I should build my giant castle now or wait?

How much of your current world have you explored? As long as it's not much, you should be able to wander off and as it generates new chunks they should be generated with all the updated stuff, so what your world has right now will stay the same, but anything further will have biomes, etc. Do you have a recent map?

I've just started a new world, and I'm trying to keep it relatively small until Oct 31.

JoeBoy101

Can someone explain the whole biomes thing? I keep getting lost when it comes up and going back through the thread has so far not helped me.

Vinci

Danish
JoeBoy101 said:
Can someone explain the whole biomes thing? I keep getting lost when it comes up and going back through the thread has so far not helped me.

Some snow areas, some not snow areas in the same world. Not snow everywhere, or not snow at all.

EDIT: Expanded: Geographically and climatically defined areas.

JoeBoy101 said:

Basically there could be different seasons in your world. Instead of just a snow world, or just a summer world, you could have some variation.

thatbox

Banned
JoeBoy101 said:
It just means there will be different areas - snow areas, sand areas, lush green areas - all in one map.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ESOdp.jpg

thanks to everyone who helped out. ^^

now to start glassing everything -.-

Jasoco

Banned
HappyBivouac said:
How much of your current world have you explored? As long as it's not much, you should be able to wander off and as it generates new chunks they should be generated with all the updated stuff, so what your world has right now will stay the same, but anything further will have biomes, etc. Do you have a recent map?

I've just started a new world, and I'm trying to keep it relatively small until Oct 31.
I've ventured probably a good mile or two. Dug a large 45 degree mine and gotten a lot of materials in storage and built this tower:
2ec3yis.jpg

Along with a sky bridge right to the mine that I planned on putting minecart rails on. Also, that empty space in the distance is a vast ocean. (Well, a big one. I went over to the island and couldn't see any mountains generating in the distance.)

Also, I don't have a map yet because I'm on a Mac and it's too much trouble to get into Windows to do the cartography and the Mac version doesn't work at all.

Is there a way to transfer your inventory from one world to another?

Edit: I got Cartographer up and running in Windows in VirtualBox, I'll post my map later.

kennah

Sai-kun said:
What's the GAFland server address? for some reason the one in the Online OP doesn't work for me :<
It's not in the op of that thread. Check the last page or two. Look for touchmybox's post.

r1chard

The map I've been mucking around on has fun stuff on the surface (I posted some screenies a few pages back that don't really do it justice) and I've built a nice little home, done a bunch of strip-mining down in the basement and walled off a bunch of lava. Built up a huge collection of redstone (but no fucking diamond).

But I'd not found any real caves to explore.

Until last night.

And then four hours later I realised my eyes hurt because I needed to sleep. Damn.

Vast caverns. Underground waterfalls. Maze-like passages.

I found my first ever dungeon with a spider spawner in it. Awesome.

It took me half an hour just to find my way back to the surface. I was laden with so much good ore (though still no fucking diamonds) and I was starting to panic that I'd not find my way out. I didn't have any spare planks to make a storage chest with. Finally, at about 1AM I saw daylight and made it back to my home base and sleeeeep. :)

upandaway

Jasoco said:
Also, I don't have a map yet because I'm on a Mac and it's too much trouble to get into Windows to do the cartography and the Mac version doesn't work at all.

Is there a way to transfer your inventory from one world to another?

Edit: I got Cartographer up and running in Windows in VirtualBox, I'll post my map later.
There are other programs besides Cartograph. I used a different one before on a mac that worked fine (forgot which one it is though).

Malvolio

Just jumped on the bandwagon and picked this up yesterday. 24 hours never disappeared so fast. What an amazing experience. I'm actually hesitant to recommend this to friends as its beyond addictive. Was looking for something to tide me over while WoW goes into "pay to beta our expansion for us" mode and this certainly fits the bill.

So long social life, it was nice knowing you.

Blizzard

Banned
According to Twitter, no more Friday updates until further notice, it seems. I guess that makes sense with the big Halloween update that Notch is working on, but I really hope he gets both biomes and the hell world implemented in time for it! Then he might have time to do Friday updates after that, who knows.

hell world sounds awesome! New blocks, new enemies, also random generated, persistent and a feature complete parallel world. He even confirmed it's possible to build stuff there if you "tame it" :O

thespot84

Pinko Marx said:
You know you play too much minecraft when you're walkin down the street and you look up at the clouds to try and see which direction you're going.
I actually had to stop myself from doing this the other day.

twhen i'm typing an IM or an email now I have to stop myself from typing "t" and then the message...it's ingrained....

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Caesar III said:
hell world sounds awesome! New blocks, new enemies, also random generated, persistent and a feature complete parallel world. He even confirmed it's possible to build stuff there if you "tame it" :O
think of all the acid seas i could build under!

rataplein

i was doing vertical mining and hit a MASSIVE cave system near the bottom, full of lava. after a few hours investigating it, i found this chamber.

:O

6XLY0.jpg

(i'm looking upwards).

Caesar III said:
Nice! That was the first thing I hoped would be possible when he announced it.

Has he confirmed that the new blocks/enemies will be in hell world? I hope there are a decent amount of exclusive blocks and enemies that can only be found there.

Blizzard said:
I feel like surreal, floating islands are one of the awesome terrain generator features. Ideally, adding back (apparently the original) options to make the terrain generator focus on more floating islands, more water, or whatever when creating a world seems like the best solution to me.

What this game needs are a block that is specific to floating islands and gliders.

Bread

Banned
NovemberMike said:
What this game needs are a block that is specific to floating islands and gliders.
unobtainium-490x245.jpg

I just bought this, and I can't find coal anywhere, I keep digging around looking for it, but before I can find any it's nightfall and I get stuck in a pitch black cave. Any suggestions?

BooJoh

Bread said:
I just bought this, and I can't find coal anywhere, I keep digging around looking for it, but before I can find any it's nightfall and I get stuck in a pitch black cave. Any suggestions?
Usually if you just wander around outside you should be able to find some in exposed rock/cliff faces. Just make sure you don't go too far and lose your spawn point.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
and as long as people put those blocks in the community tower chests, ill be there to mooch em when an admin isnt around to spawn me another round of infinite glass.

ShinNL

I bought the game because of this thread & after watching some videos. Having a great time... but then it crashes. Sometimes it remembers it well when I boot it back up, but this time I don't see anything I've build. Since it was only the 2nd nightfall it's no big deal yet but it's really frustrating like this. I just play and poof, the game window disappears.

thespot84

Soneet said:
I bought the game because of this thread & after watching some videos. Having a great time... but then it crashes. Sometimes it remembers it well when I boot it back up, but this time I don't see anything I've build. Since it was only the 2nd nightfall it's no big deal yet but it's really frustrating like this. I just play and poof, the game window disappears.

what's your draw distance set to?

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Anyone having issues i recommend limiting the frame rate in the in game options. Stopped all problems for me.

BentMyWookiee said:
Just purchased the game and I'm loving it so far. But does anybody know if it is possible to change the resolution?

Dont think so, All you can do is fullscreen it.

thespot84

Soneet said:
Far, is that a problem?

I haven't tried the framrate solution above, but when mine was crashing I changed the draw distance to normal, and it seemed to help. It's all anecdotal, so I'd try everything until it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom