• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

BentMyWookiee said:
Just purchased the game and I'm loving it so far. But does anybody know if it is possible to change the resolution?
Not the resolution, but you can simply drag the window to make it bigger/smaller. Or go fullscreen with F11, of course.

thespot84

funkmastergeneral said:
Is Touchmybox still hosting a server or do I just always try to log in during downtime?

I just logged in successfully...are you using the IP he listed or the domain name? if you're using the IP, check the online thread for the current address.

ShinNL

Metalic Sand said:
Anyone having issues i recommend limiting the frame rate in the in game options. Stopped all problems for me.
thespot84 said:
I haven't tried the framrate solution above, but when mine was crashing I changed the draw distance to normal, and it seemed to help. It's all anecdotal, so I'd try everything until it works.
Okay, thanks. I've set it to both as described, hopefully it works. So far no crash :)

Edit: Thanks, I think it worked, no crash after building my first "home" and then extending it to my spawning point. This game is so ridiculously fun haha.

thespot84 said:
I just logged in successfully...are you using the IP he listed or the domain name? if you're using the IP, check the online thread for the current address.

I didn't realize that, I was using the IP. However, upon logging on it seems like it's a server full of spawned items now? Lame.

deadnoob

Damn, I just died twice in the same cave. One time I fell into lava and another I was attacked. I ran back twice to pick up all my stuff and get the redstone/diamond/obsidian that were within. Now it is time for bed.:D

Anyone know how long your items stay on the ground after you die? I think I read 2 minutes, but I didn't see anything on the wiki, so I'm not sure.

Brashnir

Vinci said:
How the hell did you find so much clay?? I explore everywhere and hardly ever find a world with any amount of it.

He spawned it, most likely.

Either that or he created Virginia-World, where all the dirt is clay. When I first got the game, I assumed that to get clay you just had to mix water and dirt, since that's how you get clay where I'm from.

thespot84

Brashnir said:
He spawned it, most likely.

Either that or he created Virginia-World, where all the dirt is clay. When I first got the game, I assumed that to get clay you just had to mix water and dirt, since that's how you get clay where I'm from.

where I am (CO) it's clay about until about 50ft down everywhere.

Yeah I spawned it all, that project was far too massive to gather all the resources. Since it's alpha and so many things are broken in MP, i see it as less of a game and more of a giant sandbox, so if I want to mine, I mine, if I want to build, I build. C'est la vie...

thespot84 said:
I haven't tried the framrate solution above, but when mine was crashing I changed the draw distance to normal, and it seemed to help. It's all anecdotal, so I'd try everything until it works.

i have to set draw to Tiny or i get a hard reset of the computer :( updated graphics drivers yesterday but too scared to try out anything greater just yet in case i corrupt my save.. again..

NovemberMike said:
What this game needs are a block that is specific to floating islands and gliders.
He was going to have obsidian do this (all blocks would be affected by gravity unless they were connected to the ground or an obsidian block) but someone said recently that he scrapped the idea.

Not sure why he ditched it, but it seems like the algorithm for that could get pretty nasty, and gameplay-wise it would be prone to griefing (you build an awesome sky fortress, a griefer destroys its obsidian core and the whole thing crashes into a mess on the ground).

Blizzard

Banned
rohlfinator said:
He was going to have obsidian do this (all blocks would be affected by gravity unless they were connected to the ground or an obsidian block) but someone said recently that he scrapped the idea.

Not sure why he ditched it, but it seems like the algorithm for that could get pretty nasty, and gameplay-wise it would be prone to griefing (you build an awesome sky fortress, a griefer destroys its obsidian core and the whole thing crashes into a mess on the ground).
Plus I like the idea of having Laputa-like worlds be an option for random generation, no special blocks required. If they were an option not everyone would have to use them!

laputa.jpg

funkmastergeneral said:
Just came across a great Minecraft review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HNmFjusmmM

Guy has a lot of good points about it.

Yeah, some nice points there, let me summarise;

. Minecraft is a rip-off of some game called Manic Digger that's nowhere near as well known, apparently.
. The game doesn't tell you that you have to HOLD the mouse button to destroy blocks! A valid point, but I really have a hard time believing that anyone would leave their PC on overnight with a turbo controller whacking away at a block, just because they couldn't figure out to hold the damn button :lol
. I've seen better looking games on the SNES!
. MANIC DIGGER!

I would laugh at how obvious a satire review this is, but looking at those butthurt youtube comments just makes me sad.

Mr_Appleby said:
i have to set draw to Tiny or i get a hard reset of the computer :( updated graphics drivers yesterday but too scared to try out anything greater just yet in case i corrupt my save.. again..

fuckit, i set it to short, played a few minutes and bam, reset. save corrupt.

reloaded in that slot to a new spawn, found my previous construction but the chunk that contained my workbench, furnace, and chest full of iron, gold, buckets, and coal had been deleted and replaced with a small lake - leaving an amusing looking hole halfway up a cliffface where my staircase went.

starting to think there's a problem with this computer/gpu :/

Jasoco

Banned
Question: Does this game (The Single-player mode) require an internet connection? Or will I be able to play offline?

Jasoco said:
Question: Does this game (The Single-player mode) require an internet connection? Or will I be able to play offline?

It'll still try and connect to the minecraft server, but once it determines that it's unable to it'll give you the option to play offline.

funkmastergeneral said:
I didn't realize that, I was using the IP. However, upon logging on it seems like it's a server full of spawned items now? Lame.

Actually there are only a few structures made of spawned materials. It seems that those who are more interesting in just the building aspect of the game spawn stuff or ask to have things spawned for them, and those who want to do things legit go off and build stuff in other areas.

Besides, how many other servers have an island titled "Pen Island"?

Almak

What the hell is it with this game?!
I have Civ V, Halo Reach, Planescape Torment (loving it so far) and an entire throng of other misc. startegy games, yet I cant stop building a god damned tower in Minecraft! Whats going on?!

Drewsky

Almak said:
What the hell is it with this game?!
I have Civ V, Halo Reach, Planescape Torment (loving it so far) and an entire throng of other misc. startegy games, yet I cant stop building a god damned tower in Minecraft! Whats going on?!
This is how I feel.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Still haven't played MC in... IDK. At least a couple of weeks! The ideas for stuff to build and things to do are starting to build up... but I'm trying to wait until the update, since it is likely to make us roll a new world to get all the features.

Suairyu

Banned
Are almost all the more impressive structures I see for this game done by spawning rather than traditional mining? Even with branch mining and a whole tone of time to spend, I seriously question how people ever gather enough of each type of block to make some of the stuff I see. Sometimes even the more elaborate minecart systems seem to be pushing the boundaries of reason.

TouchMyBox said:
If any of you nerds want all 45MB of this thing, get it at

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5466479/map2-obliqueangle-day.png
Gorgeous. I presume the game generates its world as the player pushes out, requiring more world to be generated?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Suairyu said:
Gorgeous. I presume the game generates its world as the player pushes out, requiring more world to be generated?
Yup. Supposedly the program can't generate more then eight times the surface area of the Earth though. Its an alpha.

Bread

Banned
I was just mining underground aimlessly for about an hour, found some Gold and Diamonds for the first time, then I dig myself back up and find that I'm 200 feet from my house (where I started):lol I was expecting to be so much farther away.

I built a tower that I was particularly proud of yesterday and then had a dream where I signed on and an update came out that added gravity and physics to the blocks and my tower collapsed to the ground.

ShinNL

Spend many minutes in TouchMyBox's server mining that hard purple rock :lol what an incredible world that place is :)

Evlar

Banned
NovemberMike said:
What this game needs are a block that is specific to floating islands and gliders.
Notch has been pondering this idea... essentially all floating islands would have a particular ore that kept it aloft, and player-made floating structures could only be built by using it. He also mentioned using Obsidian for this purpose.

I'm particularly interested in whether the floating islands would collapse when you mined too much...

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
TheExecutive said:
I think hes implimenting it even deeper though.

Where have you seen him say that? I regularly read his stuff and never have. Would be awesome though and tie in with him saying the deeper you go the more dangerous it is, So even deeper with some crazy creepers!

I hope the Halloween update adds water creepers.

Metalic Sand said:
Where have you seen him say that? I regularly read his stuff and never have. Would be awesome though and tie in with him saying the deeper you go the more dangerous it is, So even deeper with some crazy creepers!

I hope the Halloween update adds water creepers.

Yeah I must have misread the holloween update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom