• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suairyu

Banned
Just started my first proper branch mine today. In just 15 minutes I've gathered more iron and redstone than I previously have in all my hours put into minecraft so far. So much faster and satisfying to my logical brain that cave exploration.

Blizzard

Banned
Suairyu said:
Just started my first proper branch mine today. In just 15 minutes I've gathered more iron and redstone than I previously have in all my hours put into minecraft so far. So much faster and satisfying to my logical brain that cave exploration.
By branch mining do you mean using one of the patterns to dig down to a certain level, or are you talking about something else?

Jasoco

Banned
I just sailed across a wide ocean to a beautiful green island covered in trees inhabited by happy bouncing sheep and pigs and came back to find my boat floating out to sea. :lol

Is there a way to dock the boat or make sure it can't move by itself?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

BooJoh

My current skin: http://www.minecraft.net/skin/skin.jsp?user=BooJoh

Suairyu said:
Are almost all the more impressive structures I see for this game done by spawning rather than traditional mining? Even with branch mining and a whole tone of time to spend, I seriously question how people ever gather enough of each type of block to make some of the stuff I see. Sometimes even the more elaborate minecart systems seem to be pushing the boundaries of reason.
Regular landscaping or mining can net you a ton of stone and dirt, sand is pretty easy to get for making glass too, and coal can add up pretty fast.

I leveled a hill on my beach and also flattened an 80x80 area and I have like 4-5 boxes full of dirt and cobblestone, and a good amount of wood too.

Blizzard

Banned
Jasoco said:
I just sailed across a wide ocean to a beautiful green island covered in trees inhabited by happy bouncing sheep and pigs and came back to find my boat floating out to sea. :lol

Is there a way to dock the boat or make sure it can't move by itself?
Use dirt to build a fence for it until you're ready to use it again?

Um guys

theefuck.jpg

Why is there a black monolith in my MInecraft?

I've been wandering weaponless in a random direction, with the intent of exploring for a while then killing myself to return to base. I've found this pillar of black.

In actuallity, you can stand in it, and its like being in the blackest cave, even though its just one block in width. Stil really surprised me when I saw it.

Ignignort said:
That's just shadows glitching. If you destroy a block around it or drop a torch it'll fix it

Aw damn, I thought it might have been going all Arthur C Clarke on me.

I tried to make some torches to create a beacon, but weaponless as I was a spider just humped me to death. Don't think I'll be able to find it again, was miles away!

Mudkips

Banned
So you posted the damned image of the map and now everyone can easily ind my hidden "It's a secret to everybody." duder.
:(

Jasoco

Banned
My level must be getting huge because I keep getting crashes. Even with lowered distance. I was exploring the vast ocean filled with islands that got generated and found many awesome caves and wonderous sights. Like this amazing mountain and floating islands like something out of a fantasy novel...

6g8uwx.jpg

Then as I was sailing back, my game crashed again and when I came back in I was where I was, but my boat was gone. Presumably back in the dock where it was before I left.

So now I've walked back to my "Home" and the game crashes again as I touch the ground.

*sigh*

Seems to only crash when I look out into the "ocean" area to the North. Which sucks because all the stuff I've built looks over there. Guess I should have never explored out there. Maybe it's corrupt? Or the game can't handle it? Gonna try setting distance lower again.

Problem is when the game crashes, it still saves your location, but not your world progress. So you could be digging deep into the ground, and it crashes, when you reload, the tunnel is gone but you're stuck inside the ground. You need to dig down fast to make a pit to fall into to survive then figure out how to get out. It really shouldn't save your location.

Blizzard

Banned
You can try sending your zipped save or world.dat to Notch I guess...I assume you've turned on the fps limit too? What sort of memory usage is it showing? (task manager or F3 stats, I think the button is)

I've had repeated problems with crashing, but there's a few things that I've found to help - firstly, make sure FPS limit is on, secondly, make sure Fancy graphics are turned off, and thirdly, use the default textures. I haven't had a crash in ages since I stopped using texture packs.

Jasoco

Banned
Memory is normal. It's only like 350MB real memory and 550MB virtual.

My entire world is about 20MB total. It only started problems when I decided to check out the distant northern area which was mostly water and islands. (As opposed to mostly land and lakes like the world started out as.

I might start a new world and see if it happens again and when it does. I have Time Machine, I could probably retrieve a previous world copy and see when the problem started. It first crashed when I discovered a spherical cavern underground.

Heh.. This is so weird. Something REALLY strange happened last time I crashed. It happened at night and i was in a boat. When I came to, I couldn't see, it was dark and my boat was supposedly missing. Now it's day again and there's FOUR boats (Maybe more) floating in the ocean in a pathway. Like it kept saving the boat in each section of the world as it went along.

Aaaaaaand now it just crashed again as I was about to jump in one of the boats. Heh.

Edit: Scratch that, there's 6 boats. Probably a lot more. Wow. What the heck happened??

Jasoco

Banned
I have removed custom graphics, and reverted to my save from early this morning (Before work) and now my file is down from 30MB to 15MB. It did crash once again but I can't get it to do it again. But I'm keeping an eye on it.

This time I will stay away from the northern ocean.

Edit: No. It still crashes. Could Minutor be doing something? (It's an app that shows every single layer of the current map all the way from top to bottom.)

BooJoh

I was exploring an old map a bit before deleting it and ran across one of the more interesting natural formations I've seen so far.

cliff1s.png
cliff2s.png

Metalic Sand said:
Where does the isometric picture program even save the pictures?
If you're using Cartograph, I think it just saves the images in the same folder as Cartograph.exe

BooJoh

Cartograph can take a while to render sometimes. Once you load up the program, set your options, and click render, it'll have a progress bar, then when it's finished a message box will pop up that says "Done." After that just look in the Cartograph folder for ex: map1-day.png

notsol337

marked forever
Mama Robotnik said:
Um guys

theefuck.jpg

Why is there a black monolith in my MInecraft?

I've been wandering weaponless in a random direction, with the intent of exploring for a while then killing myself to return to base. I've found this pillar of black.

In actuallity, you can stand in it, and its like being in the blackest cave, even though its just one block in width. Stil really surprised me when I saw it.

It's a lighting error. If you change the lighting in there it'll go away.

Awakened

Here's the first structure I've completed on Touch's server. I call it Nova Tower:

nxQKj.png

I managed to find a cube of 8 diamonds in the mine I created under the tower, but it's not that exciting since you can just spawn diamond tools on that server.

Bread

Banned
Is there any way to fly on a Mac? It's so hard to build stuff on mountains and I want a sweet mountaintop castle :D

SToRM

I bought this game a few days ago and I'm really liking it so far. I have mostly been mining a lot, but seeing all those awesome locations you guys post makes me want to explore some more too.

Log4Girlz

Slap me if I didn't notice it in the thread, but are any of you sharing save files for single player games? Do the save files only work on a certain account or can they played from any account?

Log4Girlz said:
Slap me if I didn't notice it in the thread, but are any of you sharing save files for single player games? Do the save files only work on a certain account or can they played from any account?

Save files will work on any account as they're stored locally on the PC.

MNC

Awakened said:
Here's the first structure I've completed on Touch's server. I call it Nova Tower:

nxQKj.png

I managed to find a cube of 8 diamonds in the mine I created under the tower, but it's not that exciting since you can just spawn diamond tools on that server.
What the hell are those things floating in the sky?

Brashnir

I started a multiplayer server to play with one of my friends, and got stuck in minecraft all day yesterday. Trying to do everything fair and square (minus monsters since they don't work in multi).

Started off and built a simple mine to the bottom of the world to get some minerals:

9zx3c0.jpg

Then my friend got on and I decided to show off, so I built a giant tower, which eventually became a lighthouse with a beacon on top and a glass observation platform.

2n9w40w.jpg

meanwhile he built a house with channels to the sea running underneath to let water flow in.

Water dynamics seem weird. Is it just a general multiplayer bug or is my world screwed up?

5zp3lh.jpg

Then he logged off for the night, and I decided his house needed a pier nearby, so I built one, and then a boat to go with it:

8yg9s3.jpg

And finally I built a monument to my spawn point (spawn is in the center of the 4 fires) and a giant luigi and ? block.

23thv0n.jpg

Taking a break for a while. I need it.

Suairyu

Banned
Blizzard said:
By branch mining do you mean using one of the patterns to dig down to a certain level, or are you talking about something else?
Dig down a stairway so you are five blocks from the base (the top-most level of bedrock comprises the floor). Make a 2x2 corridor for about 20 blocks (for now, you'll expand later) then make 2x2x20 corridors branching out from that central corridor, keeping 3 blocks in between each one. You can and will find every possibly type of ore doing this method and it's the best way to find diamond, I'm told. You can then build subsequent levels above ( just go up four blocks on your stairs and start a new corridor).

Search for it on YouTube if my description is too hard to visualise.

Edit - I should add, always keep stone mapped to 1, or whichever is the button easiest to hit in a panic for you. You will run into lava frequently and need to be able to quickly plug the leak.

Brashnir

Alright, I lied - I didn't take a break (just one more block this time, I swear)

I decided to complete the ? block. It's complete with the block face on all 4 sides.

I think I might grow some mushrooms inside, and I'm trying to design a giant 3-D mushroom to pop out of the top of it now.

2003ck5.jpg

Jasoco

Banned
So it seems my problems yesterday were caused by yesterday's quick update to HyperDock. Which upgraded to 0.9.8 yesterday afternoon, when my problems started, and updated again with an apology to 0.9.9 about system stability problems that were caused by yesterdays update. I restored my "buggy" World 1 to World 2 and am running it with no problems. So it was either HyperDock, or it was something else, but it SEEMS to be working fine now.

I'm still exploring to test it out, but so far no problems. Knock on wood. I'd hate for the game to be ruined by silly crashing bugs.

Also, nights take way too long. *sigh*

You know what would be nice is if you could attach a torch/lantern to a boat and minecart. But it would also be nice if you could carry one too. So I am guessing there are current limitations with how light is calculated in the current game. It's probably pre-calculated as opposed to dynamic. Like how the original Quake was where lights were calculated into the map lumps during level building before computers were fast enough to do the calculations in real-time. So if you opened a door, the light wouldn't be able to flow into the room because it wasn't pre-calculated to do that. So the light stops where the door was.

Hopefully Notch is working on this and it's possible. Would be really nice to have moving light sources.

Also, is there a way to put a boat or minecart back in your inventory?

Rufus

Minecarts act like workbenches or chests. Smash them and you can pick them back up. Boats you can only destroy, but you don't even get all of the resources back. They only yield two planks and three sticks or something like that.

Jasoco

Banned
Rufus said:
Minecarts act like workbenches or chests. Smash them and you can pick them back up. Boats you can only destroy, but you don't even get all of the resources back. They only yield two planks and three sticks or something like that.
Sucks because it seems you should be able to pick up something you put down with few exceptions. I mean you start with the boat in your hands, would be nice to put it back in your hands like you can with workbenches. Wish I could carry furnaces and chests again too but what are you gonna do?

Rufus

Jasoco said:
Wish I could carry furnaces and chests again too but what are you gonna do?
You can. You can even take the chests in the dungeons. You're right about the boats though, doesn't make sense considering you can reclaim pretty much anything.

Jasoco

Banned
You can carry chests and furnaces? Because I broke a furnace once and it disappeared. Do you need to use a certain tool to keep it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom