• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Blizzard said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is (months) old, a hoax, and unrelated to the Halloween update.

Oh, probably, but why ruin the fun?
Of course it's a hoax. It makes no sense.
wwm0nkey said:
you know how fucking creepy that will be if that turns into an enemy? Also picture if it laughed too.

That'd be fucking awesome.

WanderingWind

Come on, guys. The thread is 71 pages long with more than 7000 posts. There will be reposts.

I hadn't seen that before, so it did it's job, yes?

notsol337

marked forever
WanderingWind said:
Come on, guys. The thread is 71 pages long with more than 7000 posts. There will be reposts.

I hadn't seen that before, so it did it's job, yes?

I like being an asshat, though!

WanderingWind

notsol337 said:
I like being an asshat, though!

Oh. Okay. Carry on then.
Your mom is less than attractive.

But on topic, I made some purple rocks with lava and water that I couldn't mine....what is that?

Jasoco said:
You can carry chests and furnaces? Because I broke a furnace once and it disappeared. Do you need to use a certain tool to keep it?
the minecraft wiki says any pickaxe will do. make sure its empty bc if you break a loaded furnace the contents die.

EDIT: The lava + water is obsidian. its what you get when lava source blocks get wet. it takes forever to mine and unless you use a diamond pickaxe you cant collect it.

notsol337

marked forever
WanderingWind said:
Oh. Okay. Carry on then.
Your mom is less than attractive.

But on topic, I made some purple rocks with lava and water that I couldn't mine....what is that?

Obsidian!
Furthermore, I conjecture that your mother is perhaps a crone. HAVE AT YOU!

Mine it with a diamond pick.

WanderingWind

Bootaaay said:
Obsidian - it can only be mined with a diamond pick-axe.

...well then. Quick thought. Couldn't I make an obsidian "factory" by making infinite water and infinite lava meet?

....this has been done before, hasn't it?

WanderingWind

Bootaaay said:
Yep. Rule of thumb; if you think you've constructed something clever in Minecraft, it's probably already been done and there's a tutorial up on youtube :p

Which is why I avoid most things on Minecraft. Except this thread. I like feeling smart, if only for a second. :lol

Bread

Banned
Damn skeleton killed me and all my stuff is gone when I returned, is it possible for baddies to spawn in your buildings? I thought I had all the entrances sealed off and then I randomly saw a skeleton wandering around.

Sciz

WanderingWind said:
...well then. Quick thought. Couldn't I make an obsidian "factory" by making infinite water and infinite lava meet?
Obsidian requires a lava source block to be formed. Flowing lava results in cobblestone. So no.

Brashnir

Bread said:
Damn skeleton killed me and all my stuff is gone when I returned, is it possible for baddies to spawn in your buildings? I thought I had all the entrances sealed off and then I randomly saw a skeleton wandering around.
If there are dark places, monsters can spawn inside, yes.

Rufus

Jasoco said:
I thought lava and water made a cobblestone factory, not an obsidian one?
I'm not sure about the rules (check Minepedia), but for obsidian to form, the water needs to hit a source block/spring of lava, i.e. a pool. For cobblestone to form, the water needs to hit flowing lava. If you pour one bucket of lava in a 2x1 hole and douse it with water, you'd get one block of obsidian and one block of cobblestone. I could be wrong though, never tried to harvest cobblestone.

edit: beaten. Also, I'm blind.

Krelian

Bread said:
Happened to me too once. Only it was a creeper :( I put torches everywhere afterwards. Must've been too dark in some places.

Haunted

Can slimes spawn in less than dark locations? Do they multiply on their own if left alone?

I have a staircase going down into the mountain next to my my starting house, there's no dark places, there's no holes in the ceiling or bottom where something could've slipped through, it's sealed off with a glass wall and door... and yet, when I returned to work on it after leaving it alone for a couple days (got sidetracked with another project, obviously), I had like 3 BIG slime cubes at the bottom of the staircase (which was unfinished and thusly ended in a dead-end room they couldn't escape from). I killed two of them and the small ones they split into... then left the last one alone and turned it into an impromptu slime zoo. :lol

Just wondering whether there's some special rules applying to slimes since they're obviously the rarest mob in the game or something.

WanderingWind

Haunted said:
Can slimes spawn in less than dark locations? Do they multiply on their own if left alone?

I have a staircase going down into the mountain next to my my starting house, there's no dark places, there's no holes in the ceiling or bottom where something could've slipped through, it's sealed off with a glass wall and door... and yet, when I returned to work on it after leaving it alone for a couple days (got sidetracked with another project, obviously), I had like 3 BIG slime cubes at the bottom of the staircase (which was unfinished and thusly ended in a dead-end room they couldn't escape from). I killed two of them and the small ones they split into... then left the last one alone and turned it into an impromptu slime zoo. :lol

Just wondering whether there's some special rules applying to slimes since they're obviously the rarest mob in the game or something.

A what?

Jasoco

Banned
Well, I found the bottom of the map. Hit bedrock. Found some diamond under one, stupidly dug the stone under the diamond and fell out of the world. Died. Lost everything I was carrying. Quit the game, am now restoring my last backup from my clone. Didn't lose more than 5 minutes. Much better than 45 minutes. (Which is when my last Time Machine backup ran.) I can't stress enough how important backups are, people!

Haunted

WanderingWind said:
Curse you for making me look at the wiki to show you a picture and thusly looking up the answer to my question on my own. :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY0FY_y3cDs

Slimes

The slime is the fifth hostile mob, added in Minecraft Alpha 1.0.11. They appear as green semi-transparent cubes. Slimes come in four official sizes: huge, big, normal, and small. When a player attacks a huge, big or normal-sized slime, it will break off into four smaller sized slimes (huge to big, big to normal, normal to small) unless a sword is used. Hurt slimes will not grow larger over time. Slimes of any size will burn instantly upon touching lava and die moments later without splitting into smaller slimes. Only huge, big and normal-size slimes can deal damage; small ones are harmless. Slimes are usually found in deep caves. This is partially caused by the fact that they will not spawn more than 15 squares above the bottom of the map (10 squares before the topmost bedrock). They are currently available in all difficulties, even in peaceful where small slimes will spawn. Note, however, that a small slime can grow larger over time, turning it into normal sized slime, thus making it the only mob that can attack you in peaceful. This may be largely due to a bug causing slimes to not be removed when switching to peaceful. Huge slimes are currently the largest hostile mob in the game. Slimes are the first ever hostile mob that can intentionally spawn in light and dark areas as they are regional (they only spawn within 15 squares of the bottom of the map).

WanderingWind

Okay, where do I find out how to do this stuff? The wiki doesn't say anything about slimes that I can find, has nothing about backups and is fairly confusing when it comes to lava. Anybody want to help a dude out? :lol

EDIT: A mob that can spawn in the light? That SUCKS!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I was playing on my Peaceful world today, dug really deep, found a lot of water and lava, and lots of diamonds (around 15 pieces at least). When I made it back to the surface, I found some small pond of water and dug it all the way to the cave and had it flood it all! Muwahaha.

What am I supposed to do with lava btw? Can I extinguish it?

Haunted

WanderingWind said:
Okay, where do I find out how to do this stuff? The wiki doesn't say anything about slimes that I can find, has nothing about backups and is fairly confusing when it comes to lava. Anybody want to help a dude out? :lol

EDIT: A mob that can spawn in the light? That SUCKS!
They're relatively rare and really weak, though.

Lava doesn't burn through dirt and stone, so any moat with that as its bottom layer should keep the lava in. I don't have much experience with lava myself though, maybe some of the obsidian artists here who have experimented with lava behaviour can help you out there.

Backups are done as easily moving/copying your world folders to another location. For Win7, they're in C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\saves

Vlad

Haunted said:
They're relatively rare and really weak, though.

Slimes tend to be more annoying than the outright dangerousness of creepers and skeletons. They're extremely noisy, and they're pretty easy to kill. When they do spawn, though, they tend to spawn in LARGE numbers and can easily overwhelm you. The other problem is that the small ones don't make any noise, and although they can't hurt you, they can nudge you around, which can be dangerous when one sneaks up on you while you're trying to harvest lava :(

Lava doesn't burn through dirt and stone, so any moat with that as its bottom layer should keep the lava in. I don't have much experience with lava myself though, maybe some of the obsidian artists here who have experimented with lava behaviour can help you out there.

Ok, properties of lava that I can think of off the top of my head:

- It behaves in a similar manner to water in that it will stop spreading along a flat surface after a while, and will keep spreading if it drops down a level. However, it doesn't spread as far as water will before stopping (it's either 2 or 3 squares).

- It'll ignite any block made of wood. It will also destroy any item dropped into it (so dying in a lava pool means that a good deal of the stuff you're carrying will be lost for good.

- While you don't need to surround it on the diagonal to contain it, it can still hurt you diagonally, and it can ignite things diagonally. While I was making my obsidian building, I regulary saw pigs and cows come up to the mold for the obsidian I was casting, and they would burst into flames when they stepped into the square diagonally from some lava.

- Lava flows and stops flowing much slower than water. If you accidentally tunnel into the bottom or side of a lava pool, you'll have a few moments to throw a block of dirt or stone into the gap to stem the flow, while with water it'll flood almost instantly. This also means that even once you get rid of a lava source block or block off the flow, the part that's cut off from the source block will take quite a while to disappear.

N-Bomb

We're looking for another 1-3 people for our MC server. Please let me know if you're interested. We do daily backups, have a good spirit, and don't allow griefing :)

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for it, I'm a bit out of touch!

BooJoh

WanderingWind said:
I dug a moat, and filled it with lava. Then I went back, and the lava was gone. What did I do wrong?
My best guess would be that you put the lava in, let it fill, then pulled the source block back out and thought it didn't drain because it drains slowly?

Or did you maybe have a wooden block on the bottom?

Alts

Haunted said:
Details on that glitch?

In SMP, nothing dumped from a bucket will persist. It just disappears after a couple seconds. This doesn't sound like the issue, though, since filling a moat in a couple seconds is quite unlikely.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Belfast said:
Man, I have yet to encounter a single slime, even after all my deep diving.

Same. I've played this game for like a month now and wasn't even aware that they existed until a few days ago.

Jasoco

Banned
So I was exploring another ocean and found a newly generated continent with a hole in the ground. Turns out the hole was filled with gravel which fell into a cave. A vast cave underground filled with redstone, coal and gold! And the best part, rivers of water and lava merging together and obsidian floors!!! Except now I am stuck inside this hole with no easy way to dig myself out. And no wood to create a workbench or any tools and a pickaxe that's about to run out.

Oh boy... Now to figure this out. I wonder how deep I am.....

Jasoco

Banned
I hate that the obsidian is right on top of lava and if you break it, it sometimes falls into the lava. It's hard to mine it when it keeps burning up.

Rufus

Jasoco said:
I hate that the obsidian is right on top of lava and if you break it, it sometimes falls into the lava. It's hard to mine it when it keeps burning up.
I wouldn't bother mining it. Just produce it on site. You'll have to run back and forth for lava, but it's better than spending a lot of time mining the stuff only to lose a lot of it to lava pools directly beneath.

Jasoco

Banned
Rufus said:
I wouldn't bother mining it. Just produce it on site. You'll have to run back and forth for lava, but it's better than spending a lot of time mining the stuff only to lose a lot of it to lava pools directly beneath.
Oh, I've figured out a method. (You need to be on the same level that the obsidian is on and as long as the lava is below it, not on the same level, you'll grab the block as it starts to burn.) This cave I found is a gold mine for everything. I've had to close off a bunch of water and lavafalls and put dirt floors down over existing lava pools.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
trinest said:
Wouldn't that cause some sort of paradox glitch?
I wonder...if everyone who's bought Minecraft donates five bucks, can we afford to rent out time on a supercomputer to see if we can run Minecraft inside Minecraft?

Vlad

Jasoco said:
Oh, I've figured out a method. (You need to be on the same level that the obsidian is on and as long as the lava is below it, not on the same level, you'll grab the block as it starts to burn.) This cave I found is a gold mine for everything. I've had to close off a bunch of water and lavafalls and put dirt floors down over existing lava pools.

Thing is, it's still a LOT faster to use buckets to make obsidian structures than it is to mine the blocks themselves. Sure, you're carting the buckets up and down and dealing with making molds for each level of your structure, but it's still a heck of a lot quicker than hacking away at the stuff with a pickaxe.

All you need is a decent minecart system that'll take you from your construction site to the lava.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom