• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Yeah, I have a feeling this could become a GAF-Hit if more people gave it a chance

Blizzard

Banned
Just as long as it doesn't become TOO popular, because then people who won't like it try the game, and then it goes from the Unknown Game stage to the Hyped Game stage to the Most Overrated Game Ever OMG It Sucks stage. :lol

FlyinJ said:
Make some torches and pickaxes, and mine down into the floor of your house.

Night time is for mining!
Just be careful to be ready to blockade with mud or a door or something, since you might hit a cavern underneath your house and monsters could come through (or you could fall to your death in entertaining fashion).

Also, if you need some motivation to keep playing, some day you might have enough materials to burn (or else you hack enough materials into your game) that you can make...A Machine For Sheep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXujC4-mMmQ&feature=related

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
K2Valor said:
Yeah, I have a feeling this could become a GAF-Hit if more people gave it a chance

I'm pretty sure it already is a GAF-Hit.

This thread has been on the first page for four days straight.

Also, there hasn't been a single person who bought it and said they didn't like it.

FlyinJ said:
This thread has been on the first page for four days straight.

I wish I'd seen it before today! This game is so awesome on so many levels, and now I can't wait to see what we get in the update tomorrow. Oh, and I finally discovered the recipe for leather shoes... embarrassingly simple, can't believe I hadn't tried that combo yet.

I'm about to expand my house upward through the cliff I'm in until I reach the top, and build an overlook/balcony type thing up there. :D

Blizzard

Banned
GDJustin said:
Nice...there's also this thread, with people using an editor etc. to get tons of TNT.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=19307&sid=49f014fe080b2c8277e9d0f8b102d6c4

Cave from TNT, I assume:
http://img195.imageshack.us/f/newbitmapimage5e.jpg/

Nice desktop, again TNT I assume:
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/4826/soawesome.png

It would be really cool if those kinds of caves could be randomly generated. :O

Man, i'm loving Minecraft, but it keeps crashing on me - it runs fine, I get a good 60fps even with the fog set to lowest, but occasionally after an extended session of play my laptop will just shut itself off and after this happened last night the keyboard was no longer working. Got it sorted now though, had to drain the laptops flea power to fix it, but now i'm scared to start up Minecraft in case it happens again :( Would running it via the browser help? The symptoms make me think the downloadable version of the game was over-working the processors, to the point that the laptop shut entirely down, so if anything I figured it would be worse with the browser version :/

Kritz

Banned
filipe said:
I respectfully request a title change for this topic to...

Minecraft |OT| The game that'll rob you of your sou... OH MY GOD HE EXPLODED ME!

I prefer:

Minecraft |OT| - That's a nice everything you have there.

Max

I am not Max
So burnt out you guys, either that or I'm at a loss for creativity right now. Played so much of this game the last week it's ridiculous

Bah, was expanding my underground farm, didn't have sound on so didnt realise I was getting near the surface....

Next thing I know a creeper has killed me and caved in my entire farm. Bastard!

Kritz

Banned
So I went exploring randomly, and after a while, I saw an odd green block coming out of some sand.

w1bs7l.jpg

I can't find mention of it in the wiki. When you mine it, you can pick it up and replace it, and oddly, hitting it with your fists or a weapon hurts you.

Kinda weird.

Kritz said:
So I went exploring randomly, and after a while, I saw an odd green block coming out of some sand.

I can't find mention of it in the wiki. When you mine it, you can pick it up and replace it, and oddly, hitting it with your fists or a weapon hurts you.

Kinda weird.
It's a cactus.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Alright... so I re-rolled another world. But it's my FINAL one this time, I swear. Those of you following this thread know I had a good reason this time, even though I am admittedly a habitual re-roller (I lost a bunch of progress and items due to a glitch).

Anyway, this time around I decided to settle on top of a large hill/mountain. I know it's the stereotypical thing to do, but I'd never actually done it (I've preferred islands). I found a good looking one just a few feet from spawn:

Also, note the ore. This proved to be a sign of things to come. Ore EVERYWHERE on this map... far more than any other I've played.

minecraft-hill-1.png

I've decided that building a dirt or wood hut and cowering for the first night or two is for chumps. I might make a full post soon on why. But basically, if you find ore in your first day, wall off as large an area as you can cover with torches. Since each ore makes four torches, you can probably "claim" a pretty large territory day 1. Wall it off, illuminate it.

On day one and into the night I quickly walled up the East, West, and South walls of my hill, and then torched it. I didn't need to place walls on the North side, because it was already steep enough to keep me safe:

minecraft-hill-2.png

Overnight, things got... loud. I decided to go ahead and wall up the North side anyway, after seeing this as day began to break:

minecraft-hill-3.png

The view is really quite commanding, even with the draw distance set to medium. I wasn't intentionally trying to settle the highest peak, but it worked out that way. I notice now that I didn't even snap a pic of the view to the south, which is the best of all. A waterfall and a large valley.

minecraft-hill-4.png

minecraft-hill-5.png

And finally here is a view of the beginnings of this mountain fortress from the outside. The cave pictured actually opens up into a quite large cavern, extending almost underneath my entire mountain itself. Will probably wall up that cave entrance and mine down into the cavern next time I play.

minecraft-hill-6.png

So... that's it. It may not look like much, but I'm very pleased with how things are going here so far. I STRONGLY encourage people to use the outer wall / torching method of claiming territory. It makes it very easy to make very large stretches of land 100% safe and monster-free.

I dunno exactly where I'm going to go with this one... I'm probably going to extend my wall to the hill next door you can see on the left in the final picture, and settle it as well. That + giving things a proper grand entrance + getting a proper quarry going will keep me busy for a while I think.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
bathala said:
damn it GAF.

just bought the game. all these tower pics r these in survival mode or infdev

They are survival mode, which is the one that is being updated almost daily (the one you bought). All other versions are abandoned by the dev so he can concentrate on updating survival.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Infdev IS survival mode. And Survival mode IS Alpha. They're all referring to the same thing. More or less.

The names indev & infdev exist because at one point maps weren't infinite - they were actually pretty small in size. The first test versions of minecraft with infinite worlds became known as infdev, and for a while it was a separate development line from indev, which was the version with the small worlds.

But now there is only Alpha.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Indev
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Infdev
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Alpha

Billen

Banned
Funky Functionality said:
I've got a sign above the door to my mountain/cliffside dug-in dwelling that says, "This Shit is Mine" :D

Better be prepared for the influx of friends, or at least be used to marking your turf ;)

Ugh I woke up this morning so tired after playing close to 1AM trying to dig my tunnel under the lake and now I have to go to work. Then back to the salt mines after work. :lol

EVH

Today is Secret Update day :D

Also, loving the screencaps of neogaffers. I think that one of the best aspects of the game is sharing our creation.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
built an awesome boathouse right by my base, dug out into a small hill that was at the edge of the water. gonna link it to my minecart house via an undergrtound tunnel. The minecart house kinda works like a garage with a door and small corridor into my mountain base so it all connects.

Fucking love mining shit.

mandiller

Has anyone else had weird things disappear on them? I was just playing today and a huge big tunnel I dug down to a huge cavern and decked out with stairs/lights etc disappeared. The tunnel starts fine, but then about 10m in it just stops, no more tunnel.

It's making me not want to play because what if other things I spend time on just disappear?

This game sounds so awsome, can't wait to get paid so I can buy it too!

All I've been doing for the past 3 days is reading this thread over and over and feeling overwhelmed by the amazing stuff you guys've made.

Keep sharing those Screencaps!

Blizzard

Banned
Bootaaay said:
Man, i'm loving Minecraft, but it keeps crashing on me - it runs fine, I get a good 60fps even with the fog set to lowest, but occasionally after an extended session of play my laptop will just shut itself off and after this happened last night the keyboard was no longer working. Got it sorted now though, had to drain the laptops flea power to fix it, but now i'm scared to start up Minecraft in case it happens again :( Would running it via the browser help? The symptoms make me think the downloadable version of the game was over-working the processors, to the point that the laptop shut entirely down, so if anything I figured it would be worse with the browser version :/
That definitely sounds like a hardware thing...does your laptop get really hot on the bottom? You might try downloading a utility like RealTemp and seeing what your CPU temperature gets to. You could also try using the "fast" graphics option and make sure you have limiting fps turned on.

Max said:
So burnt out you guys, either that or I'm at a loss for creativity right now. Played so much of this game the last week it's ridiculous
Take a break, play something else fun, come back after updates. :) Burning out isn't any good!

I prefer:

Minecraft |OT| - That's a nice everything you have there.
This is my favorite. :lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The title isn't going to be changed to something cute or an in-joke that people who have already played the game would get--that kind of clique stuff isn't conducive to new people, which is a bad thing. If someone can come up with a title that describes the game better than the current one to people who have not yet heard of the game or clicked on the thread, I'd be happy to change the title.

Blizzard

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
The title isn't going to be changed to something cute or an in-joke that people who have already played the game would get--that kind of clique stuff isn't conducive to new people, which is a bad thing. If someone can come up with a title that describes the game better than the current one to people who have not yet heard of the game or clicked on the thread, I'd be happy to change the title.
Well to be serious, it would probably make sense if the "equation" was just changed slightly, something like Minecraft = Rogue + Dwarf Fortress + 3D Dot Game Heroes, or similar.

I believe the plan was to hold off on an actual |OT| until the beta is released with multiplayer, at least.

epmode

So I finally made a crappy little staging house right at my spawn. Made a bunch of rad windows (first time using a forge!) and a staircase going to the roof so I can take potshots at monsters/pigs/etc.

I was all set to start an excavation right into the floor when my computer crashed. No problem, I'll restart. .....HDD can no longer be detected. SIGH

Thankfully, I have a recent backup. Double thankfully, my Minecraft save is on a different drive.

BTW, is there a building material that's safe from those exploding things?

Stumpokapow said:
Minecraft |OT| - The most ultimately amazingly awesome game ever

:D

filipe

Stumpokapow said:

The idea for my title, well mostly just the exploded part is that it would intrigue people into thinking "Hey, what does that guy mean? I better check this out".

Minecraft |OT| It's like Legos... but with one shape. And monsters. And Dirt. Lots and lots of dirt.

Billen

Banned
I think the thread should be aimed at content more than at the topic :D

People of Gaf, where do the game files reside? Java cache? It seems the game is unplayable behind firewalls, making it impossible to trade the lunch newspaper against lunch mining. Can't dl the files, it seems.

Edit: Ignore the question regarding where it keeps it's files.

Blizzard

Banned
Billen said:
I think the thread should be aimed at content more than at the topic :D

People of Gaf, where do the game files reside? Java cache? It seems the game is unplayable behind firewalls, making it impossible to trade the lunch newspaper against lunch mining. Can't dl the files, it seems.

Edit: Ignore the question regarding where it keeps it's files.
Supposedly, once the game updates you should be able to play it offline. I don't know if it expires at some point and requires you to check for updates though -- anyone else had any experience?

Billen

Banned
Blizzard said:
Supposedly, once the game updates you should be able to play it offline. I don't know if it expires at some point and requires you to check for updates though -- anyone else had any experience?

Rather curious regarding this aswell.

Blizzard said:
You just have to log in to the game client once and then you can play it offline indefinitely. (on the same pc)

ToxicAdam

This is one of those games (like Eve Online), where I get greater enjoyment reading the thread more than I would playing the game. These types of games aren't my cup of tea, but I love reading other people's impressions.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This game really really captures the feelings of exploration and progress very well, because everything is procedural and random, and you have to do literally everything yourself. :D

I do think the current title fits pretty well, although it would be nice to get an = and a |OT| in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom