• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is becoming the perfect example of why Notch shouldn't listen to fans. So many ideas that, I'm sorry, just aren't good. Few good ideas but wow.

Haunted

VGChampion said:
This thread is becoming the perfect example of why Notch shouldn't listen to fans. So many ideas that, I'm sorry, just aren't good. Few good ideas but wow.
Tell us which ones you think are bad and which ones are good. :)

VGChampion said:

Why not come down from your ivory tower and tell us why some ideas are bad and some ideas are good? The discussion will probably be better that way.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
So my power went out while i was playing minecraft and now my save isnt showing in the game? Am i fucked? wth happened? HELP!

Spent a good 30 hours+ building :(

Bison11

I sort of got finished with my base. Is a big suare base floating over the water that has glass in the center of it so I can look down. The only way in is a water elevator and I just built a floating farm above my base. I really like it and think its cool, but I dont know. I will try and get pics later.

Also....what do I do with an Egg?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
IJ2Hi.jpg

oh noes whats happing??

it was working 5 mins ago

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Metalic Sand said:
My save isnt showing. I found where the save is located and its still there but wont show in the game now.
didn't this happen to another gaffer not too long ago. i think he/she made a new game over what was suppose the old save file. and it merged .. or something along those lines.

i don't know anything, but try googling it.

epmode

Considering that most people will probably be making a new save when the big patch is released, just wait until then.

..If your save is lost, i mean.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
epmode said:
Considering that most people will probably be making a new save when the big patch is released, just wait until then.

..If your save is lost, i mean.

Its there it just doesnt want to show in game so i can use it.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
I can even cartograph my world... So its not corrupted?

On win 7 there is a "restore previous versions" folder option. Wonder if that would be worth a try?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Metalic Sand said:

On win 7 there is a "restore previous versions" folder option. Wonder if that would be worth a try?

YES! You just saved my marriage, buddy! :lol

Haunted

To the "world not showing" bug.. didn't someone earlier in this thread just generate a new world while keeping the files intact, so it basically regenerated his previous world? I think his inventory got wiped completely, but the actual world (buildings etc.) were still there.

Blizzard

Banned
Metalic Sand said:

Well before you do anything else, make sure you backup and zip your World1 folder in case you can recover in the future. Then, if you haven't already, try starting a new game in World1 and see if your existing stuff shows up. You might be able to use Cartograph to find where your new spawnpoint is in comparison with your old stuff. :(

*edit* Nevermind. Good knowing the previous versions stuff helps people. I think I had it turned off in the Windows 7 RC to save disk space.

Jasoco

Banned
As I mentioned last night, always keep a backup. I was lucky because my 9:00 tri-hourly clone had just ran right before I screwed up. I am now in the habit of pressing escape occasionally and duplicating the world1 folder before I do anything big and after. Also my Time Machine runs hourly. If I could I would set it to backup that one folder every 5-10 minutes.

shadowcomplex said:
didn't this happen to another gaffer not too long ago. i think he/she made a new game over what was suppose the old save file. and it merged .. or something along those lines.

i don't know anything, but try googling it.
Yea it was me :)

I just selected the "-empty-" were my previous save was located and my whole world was there - I just lost everything on my character and an hour of work.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
So i decided instead of trying to redo what i lost with time, I would instead go out exploring and i came across what is possibly the biggest mine ive ever seen. Its just nonstop mine after mine.

Found a spider spawn block which is sealed up so i can find a way to make it a string supplier later.

Edit: Ive encountered my first mushroom ever in this massive mine/cave system as well. They must be rare in my world. going to make myself some mushroom stew!

glennw

Neo Member
I fell off a cliff and when I came back to my treetop house half of it had disappeared :(. Its like someone had just removed a 10x10 cube out of my world. The worst part is that cube included my 2 crates of all my collected items :(.

I am 99% sure it wasn't a creeper as the shape was too tall and there isn't any real way a creeper could get there.

Has this happened to anyone else? It is very odd... (and sad :( )

Adamm

Damn you GAF.

I got this game yesterday & played it for hours - now im sitting at work and all ic an think about is whether sai_kun finished making his under water glass house :lol

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Adamm said:
Damn you GAF.

I got this game yesterday & played it for hours - now im sitting at work and all ic an think about is whether sai_kun finished making his under water glass house :lol
sai's working on an underwater project? oh shi
*logs on*

Adamm

Pandaman said:
*logs on*
Im not sure I would call it a "Project". It was a small glass box with a fountain on top when i logged off :lol

Still i enjoy watching it be created
and getting in the way

Suairyu

Banned
My spawn area is a stretch of mountains as far as the eye can see. Fantastic for resource gathering, terrible for building. Today I decided to head out across the water to find more flat pastures for my building. There is a large island across the blue expanse about 90 seconds away from my main mining site. Flat, with small, rolling hills as its only break in the land. Here I shall build my utopia.

But first, I shall build my first ever minecart system to ferry me from continent to continent. Of course, it shall be underwater and housed in a tunnel of glass. I'm sure I could have picked an easier task for my first ever construction project, but where would be the fun in that? I have all this redstone now, too, so I think I'll make it one of those proper, fully automated cart systems with boosters and shit, just to make it more involved.

Belfast

Pandaman said:
*logs on*

I made one. It was a pain in the ass!

Maybe there's a better way to do it, but I pretty much had to construct the glass corridor piecemeal and then go in from one side, block it up in a checkerboard pattern with cobblestone, then dredge it from the "dry" side little by little with buckets.

seb

Banned
Belfast said:
I made one. It was a pain in the ass!

Maybe there's a better way to do it, but I pretty much had to construct the glass corridor piecemeal and then go in from one side, block it up in a checkerboard pattern with cobblestone, then dredge it from the "dry" side little by little with buckets.

I plan to build an underwater passage to my forest island by building a 3*3 section tunnel made of dirt, then put glass on the outside and finally remove the dirt. Wouldn't that be easier ? (I haven't tried it)

Huggy

seb said:
I plan to build an underwater passage to my forest island by building a 3*3 section tunnel made of dirt, then put glass on the outside and finally remove the dirt. Wouldn't that be easier ? (I haven't tried it)

That's how I do it. Apparently the easiest way to do it is to build tunnels with planks instead of dirt, and just ignite the whole bunch when you're done with the glass.

watership

I am loving running my a multiplayer server. After 'accidentally' blowing up my little town with 10000 TNT boxes, i'm building a glass city in the sky. Can't stop.

Amneisac

This may have been said (it's a lot to read back through), but I'd love to see some simple tooltips in this game to show me what all the different materials I'm picking up are. It doesn't need to say what to do with them, just a simple "Coal" on mouseover would be really nice.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Huggy said:
That's how I do it. Apparently the easiest way to do it is to build tunnels with planks instead of dirt, and just ignite the whole bunch when you're done with the glass.
dirts pretty easy though, you can just run right through it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Amneisac said:
This may have been said (it's a lot to read back through), but I'd love to see some simple tooltips in this game to show me what all the different materials I'm picking up are. It doesn't need to say what to do with them, just a simple "Coal" on mouseover would be really nice.
Yeah, Notch has talked about implementing something like that, as well as a crafting tree that you can "discover" your way along and keep track of recipes.

Drewsky

I actually like how the game just drops you in and you have to kind of figure out stuff on your own. Part of the fun for me has been watching Youtube videos and such to see what was possible in the game. I think doing to much hand holding would kind of ruin that.

I guess just telling you what materials were wouldn't be that bad though.

Amneisac

Drewsky said:
I actually like how the game just drops you in and you have to kind of figure out stuff on your own. Part of the fun for me has been watching Youtube videos and such to see what was possible in the game. I think doing to much hand holding would kind of ruin that.

I guess just telling you what materials were wouldn't be that bad though.

Yeah, I think just identifying the materials would be enough for me. I'd rather get my handholding in-game than on Youtube where I could have my imagination polluted by other people's ideas.

I don't mind using some external sources, but at the same time it dispels a little of the mystery of Minecraft and I've been enjoying exploring more in game than out of it.

I just feel like if I knew more about what these lo-fi icons meant I'd be better equipped to guess what I can do with them.

Supplies of coal and metals have been dwindling lately as I've been working more on creating a safe area up top around my fort and the entrance to my mine. A defensive moat has been dug along the length of my island to discourage monsters, and several ever burning fire pits have been created (which is both a great monster deterrent and way to stock up on animal parts). With topside rather safe (Playing on hard), I venture back into the depths.

Coal is my mission, and after a few short runs picking up bits of it here and there, I come to where I stopped my progress last time. It's the edge of a medium drop overlooking a dark opening. There are skeletons and zombies galore down there. probably about 6 that I can see, and one skeleton shooting at me from the dark.

So, bow in hand, I begin the fight. Zombies and Skeletons drop fairly easily. And I'm down to two. One skeleton I can see and the other still hiding in the dark. I'm pretty sure I've won at this point. Then I heard it. That subtle ssssss of approaching calamity. I spin to see if it's behind me. No. Boom! It was below me. The floor I'm standing on collapses dropping me into the horde. I die a swift death.

For the next twenty minutes I battle fruitlessly to get my stuff back (I even drop the difficulty to normal). Only managing to put down extra light. Most of my stuff is gone now, but I can see why it was so hard. There are six entrances to that room. Three below and three up top. I died probably ten times. Four of those were to creepers dropping on me from the upper entrances.

With my stuff gone, I have resolved to build an outpost there and stock up. I will claim this spot as my own, and there's nothing they can do to stop it.

upandaway

The_Technomancer said:
Yeah, Notch has talked about implementing something like that, as well as a crafting tree that you can "discover" your way along and keep track of recipes.
Would've been nice if these 'books' you can make from paper were actually crafting books. Like, you'd open one, and it would have all the crafting recipes you did, and question marks for those you didn't.

Creeper!

Edit: Outpost built, and I have my first house warming guest in the form of another creeper hopping up and down outside my door.

Edit: Killed that Creeper only to be discovered by another while mining iron. I hope that deposit of gold behind me is ok.

Edit: It's raining the bloody bastards. This place is ridiculously dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom