• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Here's what I'm finishing up now.

snakeedit.png

DRock

upandaway said:
Whoa how did you get the lava there? You just found a mountain which has it?
I carried it in two buckets from my other base which is way too far away. I wish you could make infinite lava pools like you could with water.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I am guessing GAF still hasn't gotten a new minecraft server :/

Lets get some admin in here and figure out a way to make a donation system work without everyone being paranoid we are going to be ripped off or have some entitlement.

Drkirby said:

Lets get some admin in here and figure out a way to make a donation system work without everyone being paranoid we are going to be ripped off or have some entitlement.

We've had a new server for awhile now

Drkirby said:

TouchMyBox's server is where GAF seems to be hanging out now, the details are in the multiplayer forum.

Tobor

I'm taking a break from the game until the update comes out. I don't want to place more torches only to replace them with lanterns later.

Timan

Developer
Drkirby said:

?

We all pretty much play on the new gaf server see mp forum

Edit: Slow

Drkirby said:
Why was I not informed of this sooner!

You need to hit up the thread more often, man. Touch has been hosting for a few weeks now. There's some really epic stuff, but there is clearly lots of item spawning on the server, so it's not as impressive as the buildings on Oatmeal's server.

How can I make backups of my Minecraft save? There have been too many times when I've been set back hours by a bug or the game glitching out, only to return to my world and see the 3 diamonds I just laboriously mined are now gone.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
funkmastergeneral said:
You need to hit up the thread more often, man. Touch has been hosting for a few weeks now. There's some really epic stuff, but there is clearly lots of item spawning on the server, so it's not as impressive as the buildings on Oatmeal's server.
Why is there item spawning, and why didn't he host Oat's Gafland after the server went down :/

DRock

Suairyu said:
So are you going to skin your character as He-Man or Skeletor?
:)

Tinman said:
?

We all pretty much play on the new gaf server ...

Edit: Slow

You should probably edit out the address so no lurking griefers attack the server.

upandaway

Blue_Gecko said:
How can I make backups of my Minecraft save? There have been too many times when I've been set back hours by a bug or the game glitching out, only to return to my world and see the 3 diamonds I just laboriously mined are now gone.
Play the game from Dropbox?

Besides that I got nothing.

stressboy said:
If you find a lava source, you can scoop it up with a bucket and make a new lavafall out of it.
Oh, awesome. I didn't know it worked with sources too.

Drkirby said:
Why is there item spawning, and why didn't he host Oat's Gafland after the server went down :/

I think thespot was hosting Gafland for awhile, but it had a new spawn spot so it was basically like a brand new world anyway, i couldnt find any of the old structures.

Haunted

How do you skin your character anyway? Can you download skins somewhere?

Tobor said:
I'm taking a break from the game until the update comes out. I don't want to place more torches only to replace them with lanterns later.
Notch said that any torch you place now will automatically transform into a lantern when the update hits.

DRock said:
Here's what I'm finishing up now.

snakeedit.png
Looks great!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Haunted said:
How do you skin your character anyway? Can you download skins somewhere?
There are probably downloads, but I make mine custom. What you do is you get the default skin off of Miencraft.net and modify it and then re-upload it and it shows up everywhere, even in multi.

Actually, I'll take skin making requests if anyone has any.

fresquito

Today I tried setting my first spawn trap for zombies. It didn't work. Although at least I've learned quite a bit about these cages :lol

Since I'm waiting for the new update to start a new game, I won't be spending more time with the trap.

The Technomancer

Blu_LED said:
How do you make two block wide stairs. Every time I try to put one stair block next to another, it faces the wrong way.
Just keep building your staircase. It should correct itself. If you're only going up one level, then put some blocks on either side of the stairs, place them, and try getting rid of the blocks.

Helmholtz

Drkirby said:
Ya.. both these things sort of perplex me as well. Especially the item spawning. Now that there is inventory and chests I see no need for it other than building things that you didn't 'earn'.

Rufus

Metalic Sand said:
I could never understand the appeal of texture packs, The graphics of minecraft help make it what it is.
They don't exactly make it more detailed or high-res. Some of the packs actually make it look even simpler than it is by being almost flat. Makes it look almost cel-shaded.

Metalic Sand said:
I could never understand the appeal of texture packs, The graphics of minecraft help make it what it is.

There are a lot of packs that offer a nice change of mood while still keeping in the spirit of the original graphics. I love the original graphics and spent hundreds of hours playing just with those before messing with other textures, but after a while it is kind of a welcome change of mood.

Check out the painterlypack custom texture pack generator. You can do some cool stuff with it: http://painterlypack.net/customizer.php

Log4Girlz

Rufus said:
They don't exactly make it more detailed or high-res. Some of the packs actually make it look even simpler than it is by being almost flat. Makes it look almost cel-shaded.

That's too fancy.

I saw diamond in the depths, but I didn't have enough stone to get to where it hung over a pool of lava. So, I doubled back to the fork and took the other path. There was a pool of lava here as well, but this one boarded walls of dirt. When I broke the last block, an arrow struck me. I spun. Nothing. Another thunk. I ran. I could see the skeleton behind me now. I turned to try to fight, and took another arrow in the chest for my trouble. I was almost dead now, so I decided to run again. I took a wrong turn and plunged into the lava. :(

Mining on hard is rather difficult, but a lot of fun. I hate I just lost two iron.

The Technomancer

Okay, that Painterly generator is just awesome. Now I have to ask: how can you change out texture packs on Mac?

EDIT: It comes with a readme. Nevermind...

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Maybe ill change my mind on textures after i put in 100's of hours i suppose. Im around 30-40 hours in.

Log4Girlz said:
He's going to have a lot of torches to replace.

Any placed torches get updated to lanterns.

Belfast

crowphoenix said:
Supplies of coal and metals have been dwindling lately as I've been working more on creating a safe area up top around my fort and the entrance to my mine. A defensive moat has been dug along the length of my island to discourage monsters, and several ever burning fire pits have been created (which is both a great monster deterrent and way to stock up on animal parts). With topside rather safe (Playing on hard), I venture back into the depths.

Coal is my mission, and after a few short runs picking up bits of it here and there, I come to where I stopped my progress last time. It's the edge of a medium drop overlooking a dark opening. There are skeletons and zombies galore down there. probably about 6 that I can see, and one skeleton shooting at me from the dark.

So, bow in hand, I begin the fight. Zombies and Skeletons drop fairly easily. And I'm down to two. One skeleton I can see and the other still hiding in the dark. I'm pretty sure I've won at this point. Then I heard it. That subtle ssssss of approaching calamity. I spin to see if it's behind me. No. Boom! It was below me. The floor I'm standing on collapses dropping me into the horde. I die a swift death.

For the next twenty minutes I battle fruitlessly to get my stuff back (I even drop the difficulty to normal). Only managing to put down extra light. Most of my stuff is gone now, but I can see why it was so hard. There are six entrances to that room. Three below and three up top. I died probably ten times. Four of those were to creepers dropping on me from the upper entrances.

With my stuff gone, I have resolved to build an outpost there and stock up. I will claim this spot as my own, and there's nothing they can do to stop it.

Yeah, I've encountered this situation several times. It's relatively easy to take out baddies one at a time, but in some of those caves you're fighting three or four varieties at once and they just KEEP COMING.

I've mistakenly tried to fight the hordes to explore said caves further, only to end up getting my ass whooped by making a wrong step, or getting overwhelmed from multiple direction. Then, like you, I'd keep going back down in hopes of at least recovering my stuff. But every time, I'd fail. And if a Creeper blew up near all my dropped supplies, well, I could say goodbye to those forever.

Drewsky

I was just digging yesterday when I hit some cobblestone. I was under the impression cobblestone didn't really occur naturally, it was made when you broke up stone. Well it turns out I was kind of right because it ended up being the walls of one of those monster rooms with the spawners in the middle.

What's the best way of taking one of these things out? I just closed it back up, but there were two boxes inside, and I'm really curious to see what was in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom