• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drewsky said:
I was just digging yesterday when I hit some cobblestone. I was under the impression cobblestone didn't really occur naturally, it was made when you broke up stone. Well it turns out I was kind of right because it ended up being the walls of one of those monster rooms with the spawners in the middle.

What's the best way of taking one of these things out? I just closed it back up, but there were two boxes inside, and I'm really curious to see what was in them.

Plan 1

(1) dig all around it.

(2) open up a 1x1 hole in the wall, shove in a torch, and seal.

(3) circle the outside of the room repeating the process for every block you pass.

(4) when the room is really really bright, stab your sword through a 1x1 hole and kill the last spawned monsters.

(5) the brightness of the room will prevent any more spawning. You can now enter freely.

or Plan 2

Climb on the top of the room and pour lava in through the roof. Sure it will probably set the chests on fire too, but damn if its not more funny and evil. Replace the walls with glass for extra merit.

Mama Robotnik said:
Plan 1

(1) dig all around it.

(3) circle the outside of the room repeating the process for every block you pass.

(4) when the room is really really bright, stab your sword through a 1x1 hole and kill the last spawned monsters.

(5) the brightness of the room will prevent any more spawning. You can now enter freely.

Might as well play on peaceful you pussy ;)

Drewsky said:
I was just digging yesterday when I hit some cobblestone. I was under the impression cobblestone didn't really occur naturally, it was made when you broke up stone. Well it turns out I was kind of right because it ended up being the walls of one of those monster rooms with the spawners in the middle.

What's the best way of taking one of these things out? I just closed it back up, but there were two boxes inside, and I'm really curious to see what was in them.

FYI, cobblestone does occur naturally when water hits a flowing lava block.

Drewsky

Mama Robotnik said:
Plan 1

(1) dig all around it.

or Plan 2

Climb on the top of the room and pour lava in through the roof. Sure it will probably set the chests on fire too, but damn if its not more funny and evil. Replace the walls with glass for extra merit.
Cool, thank you.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I just had the most incredible, epic battle that involved a surprise cave, a redirecting of a waterfall to trap a hoard of monsters, stumbling across my very first monster spawner/dungeon, jumping across a river of lava and watching 5 creepers and 3 zombies fall into it and die in agony. Afterward, after clearing the cave with around 100 torches, I found a cluster of 8 diamonds!

Fuck, this game rocks.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Are there any tricks to harvesting cactus? Sometimes the cactus piece gets destroyed from the cactus i mined it from. Im trying to set up a cactus farm to start building some defenses for my massive mining to bedrock to make a big ass tower mission.

Sciz

Metalic Sand said:
Are there any tricks to harvesting cactus? Sometimes the cactus piece gets destroyed from the cactus i mined it from.
Cactus blocks destroy dropped items on contact in the same way that lava does. Cactus blocks tend to drop onto other cacti, hence the problem.

Spread your cacti out, harvest the bottom block, and replant. Alternatively, just expand the size of your farm and don't worry about it. They grow back quickly.

Log4Girlz

Always bring wood with you. If you're lost in some dark cavern, have already been through a rough battle or two. Try to mark the area and create a storage box and put any valuables in there...so in case you die, you don't lose anything major.

Jasoco

Banned
Log4Girlz said:
Always bring wood with you. If you're lost in some dark cavern, have already been through a rough battle or two. Try to mark the area and create a storage box and put any valuables in there...so in case you die, you don't lose anything major.
Exactly what I do. I have four of them in various places. But I try to consolidate them.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
I really need to start keeping myself armored, cuts down the damage considerably.

Had a explosive creeper come up behind me and i was just like i dont give a fuck, I got armor on.

xNuz4l.jpg

If this is a banned meme, please let me know.

Of course if you like the aspect of being very vulnerable i could understand going armorless but wow does it make me feel empowered.

rEKnPl.jpg

Edit: Wow, biggest trap ive ever seen. 2 huge areas where the ceiling is sand.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Rainier said:
Shoot an arrow into that, I'm curious if that's enough to send it crashing down!

Havent went into there yet but ill go back and give it a try, Ill update soon.

Edit:
5tF6Fl.jpg

Arrows didnt knock it down.

Rainier said:
Shoot an arrow into that, I'm curious if that's enough to send it crashing down!

It does - as soon as one block is destroyed, they'll all fall. I flooded my mine when I inadvertently dropped the riverbed that was made out of the sand down a dozen or so blocks :lol

WanderingWind

Armor kind of sucks in this, considering how expensive it is. Sure, it'll save your ass. Once. Then it's back to nothing and you're out 20 iron.

Apologize for the noob question - I've started a world after playing around on casual with no monsters. I scrambled to build a house asap early on, but have no idea how the monsters and mobs work. Can I work at night and in deep caves? I haven't seen anything around yet, but also haven't made any weapons or armor or anything yet either.

I guess I'm asking, should I go for making some weapons, then carry them with me at all times? The tutorials I've seen all basically say "make a house quick before dark!!11" but then they don't say why, and I'm just...uhh, scared I guess :lol

WanderingWind

elrechazao said:
Apologize for the noob question - I've started a world after playing around on casual with no monsters. I scrambled to build a house asap early on, but have no idea how the monsters and mobs work. Can I work at night and in deep caves? I haven't seen anything around yet, but also haven't made any weapons or armor or anything yet either.

I guess I'm asking, should I go for making some weapons, then carry them with me at all times? The tutorials I've seen all basically say "make a house quick before dark!!11" but then they don't say why, and I'm just...uhh, scared I guess :lol

The monsters above crowd catch fire and die in the sunlight. Except the creepers, the green bouncy things. They don't give a fuck and will explode and kill you. Underground, the monsters rule, but they can't spawn in the light.

Basically, the name of the game is stay in the light.

ZZMitch

elrechazao said:

Monsters spawn anywhere where it is dark, nighttime, caves, inside your house etc.

Torches. Get them.

ZZMitch said:
Monsters spawn anywhere where it is dark, nighttime, caves, inside your house etc.

Torches. Get them.
Ok, I have mad torches already, I made like 200 of them just a few minutes ago, so I just keep torching the hell out of wherever I'm mining and I'll be good ?

elrechazao said:
Ok, I have mad torches already, I made like 200 of them just a few minutes ago, so I just keep torching the hell out of wherever I'm mining and I'll be good ?

You'll definitely need some weapons if you're going to mine caves or explore at night.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Wow this whole area of the mine has a sand ceiling. This would basically flood the whole mine i would think. :lol

Edit: Holy shit i just mined a sand block that wasnt even connected and half the ceiling fell. Felt like indiana jones running out of there as the ceiling is falling behind me.

ZZMitch

elrechazao said:

Yep, just remember, even though monsters can't spawn by torches, they can still enter torched areas and kill you.

ZZMitch

Metalic Sand said:
Wow this whole area of the mine has a sand ceiling. This would basically flood the whole mine i would think. :lol

Edit: Holy shit i just mined a sand block that wasnt even connected and half the ceiling fell. Felt like indiana jones running out of there as the ceiling is falling behind me.

Pics please

Jasoco

Banned
So if all placed torches will turn into lanterns when the next update comes out, I guess it would make sense to load up the game on the 30th and place all your torches into the world so you can then pick them all up again the next day as lanterns.

Do we know what lanterns will use to make yet?

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
This all fell down on me, I ran to under the water part on the left. Seemed alot bigger than i thought at first. they all fall down in a domino effect which was awesome and scary!

UMEo6l.jpg

There is another half where the sand ceiling is up but its not as big i think.

Edit: Alright i tested the other sand ceiling areas to see what would collapse them

Test1: Arrow, Does not work
Test2: placing a torch, Works
Test3: Hitting it, Does not work
Test4: Breaking the block, Works of course.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
p8TKFl.jpg

ohh god. sand ceilings everywhere!

Another interesting test, I went above this area and placed a item and they didnt fall. Also destroying a block of the upper area wont collapse them either.

Brashnir

I got tired of being a dwarf all day long and decided to see how the elves live.

2zxz2io.jpg

Not sure if I want to plant trees on the branches or not. I think it would look cool, but would make navigating a pain, and they'd block line of sight to/from everything in that area.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Mama Robotnik said:
Plan 1

(1) dig all around it.

or Plan 2

What? Those are horrible plans.

Plan 1 is completely flawed, as the Spawn Blocks spawn monsters even in light areas. Hell, that's how Monster Farms work!

Plan 2 is even worse, as it destroys the chests with stuff inside and renders the monster farm useless.

Here's the real plan:

1) Poke a hole into the Dungeon, see where the chests are.
2) Dig around the dungeon, poke a hole behind the chests and collect the spoils.
3) Poke another hole, kill all monsters
4) Quickly enlarge the hole so YOU can go through
5) Put a block on top of the spawner block
6) Create complex water redirection currents to drown the monsters, providing infinite free loot
7) Remove the block from the top of the Spawner Block
8) Close up the dungeon (preferably with glass)
9) Profit!

Brashnir

drizzle said:
What? Those are horrible plans.

Plan 1 is completely flawed, as the Spawn Blocks spawn monsters even in light areas. Hell, that's how Monster Farms work!

If you put two torches on opposite sides of a spawn block, it will stop spawning.

Sai-kun

Banned
Adamm said:
Damn you GAF.

I got this game yesterday & played it for hours - now im sitting at work and all ic an think about is whether sai_kun finished making his under water glass house :lol

:D I finished! Now I'm making additions!

And you weren't getting in the way ;P

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
drizzle said:
!

Nope. I just blocked 2 spawn blocks today with light. 4 torches around the spawn block = no more spawning.

Haunted

The_Technomancer said:
There are probably downloads, but I make mine custom. What you do is you get the default skin off of Miencraft.net and modify it and then re-upload it and it shows up everywhere, even in multi.

Actually, I'll take skin making requests if anyone has any.
Ah, it's a simple .png. Thanks, I kinda had a Red from Red Dead Revolver in mind... I'll see what I can do. :D

Using a western guy from minecraftskins.com for the moment. :)

Brashnir

Haunted said:
Ah, it's a simple .png. Thanks, I kinda had a Red from Red Dead Revolver in mind... I'll see what I can do. :D

Using a western guy from minecraftskins.com for the moment. :)

Be careful, editing your skin is almost as addictive as playing the game itself.

I'm currerently using a Joker skin I made, but I feel like I should be a griefer running around as the Joker, so I'm trying to come up with something else to do. Suggestions?

current skin: http://www.minecraft.net/skin/skin.jsp?user=Brashnir

Brashnir said:
Be careful, editing your skin is almost as addictive as playing the game itself.

I'm currerently using a Joker skin I made, but I feel like I should be a griefer running around as the Joker, so I'm trying to come up with something else to do. Suggestions?

current skin: http://www.minecraft.net/skin/skin.jsp?user=Brashnir

Be The Batman.

So I got this game yesterday, and damn did I not get completely love stricken. I played for about seven hours before I realized that I had an early class I couldn't skip. I'm sitting through the class now, and just waiting for my break so I can play some minecraft.

The first thing I did was start digging out a house in the nearby (from my spawn) hill. I've slowly mined for some coal, some iron, and even some redstuff! I've got my home reinforced with stone, and haven't ventured outside much. I'm hoping to strip mine soon, but I am wondering what other things it is suggested I should do, being a young sapling in the world of minecraft should do.

Also, other than social interactions, what benefits come from the multiplayer? I'll definitely try it once I get more settled in the singleplayer.

Happy mining. I love this game.

::EDIT::
I forgot to mention that I want to build a drawbridge of sorts, but I'm not sure it is capable. Thoughts? I'm sick of having the creepers at my door whenever I want to go outside. I should build a backdoor as well I suppose.

Belfast said:
Yeah, I've encountered this situation several times. It's relatively easy to take out baddies one at a time, but in some of those caves you're fighting three or four varieties at once and they just KEEP COMING.

I've mistakenly tried to fight the hordes to explore said caves further, only to end up getting my ass whooped by making a wrong step, or getting overwhelmed from multiple direction. Then, like you, I'd keep going back down in hopes of at least recovering my stuff. But every time, I'd fail. And if a Creeper blew up near all my dropped supplies, well, I could say goodbye to those forever.
I've lost a lot of supplies down there, but I have gotten an outpost built. I've got everything I need to keep me fully stocked, and it's close enough that I can usually talk myself into going back and dropping off any iron I found. The worst moment though, was right after I got it built. Right out side was a clump of iron and gold. A creeper caught me as I was mining the iron and blew both deposits to bits. I was really annoyed.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
crowphoenix said:
I've lost a lot of supplies down there, but I have gotten an outpost built. I've got everything I need to keep me fully stocked, and it's close enough that I can usually talk myself into going back and dropping off any iron I found. The worst moment though, was right after I got it built. Right out side was a clump of iron and gold. A creeper caught me as I was mining the iron and blew both deposits to bits. I was really annoyed.

what you could try to do is, right before you die place a log (make sure to place it on the ground) , then light it on fire,after run like hell, wait a couple mins come back and profit.

Vlad

HappyBivouac said:
Yeah I've been wanting creeper spawn blocks in the game for a long time. Wonder why he decided to hold back on that?

Probably for that exact reason. TNT is fairly powerful stuff, but it's balanced out by how rare gunpowder is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom