• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
ZealousD said:
There's plenty of one person and two person developed games that are well made and have far less issues. Aquaria, Braid, World of Goo, Castle Crashers, PB Winterbottom, and Super Meat Boy coming up. In the cases of the 2-person teams, usually one of the members is almost solely focused on art. Minecraft's art seems like it was made in a day.
Yep, this is all true. Luckily, Notch has hired/is hiring a full-time artist! :D Whether or not this means it will continue to be low-res, I don't know. The game allows for higher-res art, as seen in the modding community, but I wonder if Notch plans to make that the default in the future, or not.

Also, everyone saying "Minecraft isn't finished, these games are" needs to take a step back and realize that Minecraft, in its finished state, will likely never be as polished as some of those games are.

Also also, you people can talk scale all you want, but when it comes down to the nitty-gritty, Minecraft's world is procedurally generated. That means the levels aren't designed by human beings - they're designed by some lines of code in a program. And this is GREAT, I love Minecraft in large part because of this, but you can't really compare small, detailed, hand-crafted worlds to something like Minecraft. And vice versa.

We can only compare levels of polish, not scale. At least, I think so. U:

AtlusAram

Atlus USA Developer
Minecraft is one of the most impressive indie achievements I've ever experienced. Exceedingly polished and stable, incredibly aesthetically consistent, and loaded with intricacies and depth it'll take me weeks to fully discover, it could very well be the singlemost addictive thing I've played in the last few years.

I've been talking the game up endlessly to everyone I know in the industry (whether they were free to hear me blather on or not).

Timan said:
Did someone say titanic? :p

screenshot20101012at420pmpng3991b06e06.png

Spent all morning on it. Time for a well needed nap.
blow it up

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Apparently, creating an angel is the hardest structure to make. So far, I've created the world's ugliest looking stick figure.

Althane

Started on a new map today, spaned right next to some coal. Did some mining there, got a house going, and made my typical "Mine within house". Fell down into a giant cavern. Followed cavern, found other side of freakin' mountain.

Wall it off ( no monsters HERE!), and dig deeper.

Fall into ANOTHER cavern.

Walk out of OTHER side of mountain. Find waterfall.

Mind blown by awesomeness.

I'm trying to create a pond right underneath this moutain/cave formation, and it's a total pain in the ass. The water physics make no sense at all to me. I must have made 50 trips to my nearest water source back to the pond site. It's all lopsided.

Haunted

I completely failed making a spawner trap. :(

The spiders eventually overwhelmed me after two to three different unsuccessful attempts to wall them in with glass and drown them... got back in there and destroyed the spawn block.

:sadface

goldsoundz said:
I'm trying to create a pond right underneath this moutain/cave formation, and it's a total pain in the ass. The water physics make no sense at all to me. I must have made 50 trips to my nearest water source back to the pond site. It's all lopsided.
If you want to save time on the trips, etch out a 3x1 pool, put water sources to the left and right edge, and the middle block will automagically become a renewable water source.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I have an addiction to mossy cobblestone. I need more of it. MORE.

Is there any secret to finding monster spawners? I've only found one since starting.

xtop

how many of you are playing on your mac? because for whatever reason, it refuses to start on my macbook 2,1. double click on the minecraft application, it looks like it's going to load..then nothing. what sort of magic is it going to take to get it working? or..how big of a dumbass am i for missing something simple? :lol

Haunted said:
If you want to save time on the trips, etch out a 3x1 pool, put water sources to the left and right edge, and the middle block will automagically become a renewable water source.
That helps a lot. Thanks.

Wow I forgot how crappy the textures really look. Ive used lava for a lot of things but my custom textures don't have animated lava or water :( Wish I could get animated lava and water and continue to have my texture pack.

Anyway just turned it off and wow, ha don't like it one bit, just gotten sued to my textures since Ive had them since july. Hopefully his hired help can bring us some awesome new textures for the full release.

Dont get me wrong I love the blocky look, but after using such a cleaner texture pack, going back just isn't an option.

xtop said:
how many of you are playing on your mac? because for whatever reason, it refuses to start on my macbook 2,1. double click on the minecraft application, it looks like it's going to load..then nothing. what sort of magic is it going to take to get it working? or..how big of a dumbass am i for missing something simple? :lol

macbook 2,1 what the heck is that.

In anycase it runs great on my iMac

So I was having a thought, and figured I would inquire with the GAF community. Does the Sun rise on the same side of the map everytime? And does the moon rise on that side too? If so, it is conceivable that we could figure out NSEW capabilities, just only above ground and we would have to pay attention to where the sun is, and the time of day. Isn't the watch being released next update? That could be a strong tool to help figure this out.

Jokey665

SmokingBarrelX said:
So I was having a thought, and figured I would inquire with the GAF community. Does the Sun rise on the same side of the map everytime? And does the moon rise on that side too? If so, it is conceivable that we could figure out NSEW capabilities, just only above ground and we would have to pay attention to where the sun is, and the time of day. Isn't the watch being released next update? That could be a strong tool to help figure this out.
Sun rises in east, sets in west. Clouds always go north.

WanderingWind said:

Is there any secret to finding monster spawners? I've only found one since starting.

Notch really needs to add the ability to "grow" mossy cobblestone.

goldsoundz said:
What a fucking disaster. I can't get the water to level out in the middle sections of the pond where its deeper.

What you can do is place blocks over-top the area and then empty the buckets of water on the bottom of the blocks. It may take a while but it will work :)

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Just jumped back in my seat when i saw this.

aOqTDl.jpg

Killed a spider in this area and go to place a torch, Rgiht after i place it HES THERE. OMG. I guess he was too busy enjoying the stream to come help out the spider.

goldsoundz said:
What a fucking disaster. I can't get the water to level out in the middle sections of the pond where its deeper.

I'm sorry but I can't help but laugh. This happens to me so much and I still can't find a solution besides just placing water everywhere. It would be nice to have some better water.

Haunted

WanderingWind said:

What's so cool about mossy cobblestones? They're among the ugliest blocks, imo.

goldsoundz said:
:lol I feel your pain. Hate the current water physics, the water should level out naturally.

kai3345

Banned
Where the hell are all the enemies?

I've been playing single player for at least 6 or 7 in-game days and have yet to see one hostile mob. I've gone to the bottom of the map and found an open cave area, but no mobs.

Haunted

kai3345 said:
Where the hell are all the enemies?

I've been playing single player for at least 6 or 7 in-game days and have yet to see one hostile mob. I've gone to the bottom of the map and found an open cave area, but no mobs.
Check your difficulty, there are no enemies on peaceful. Funnily enough, easy is where most mobs spawn. Go out at night and you should see lots of monsters.

Haunted said:
What's so cool about mossy cobblestones? They're among the ugliest blocks, imo.

:lol I feel your pain. Hate the current water physics, the water should level out naturally.

I thought they wouldnt blow up with creepers and what not...

BooJoh

It would be cool if mossy cobblestones could be climbed like ladders... I can just imagine the awesomeness if someone with entirely too much time recreated the castle from SotC.

kai3345

Banned
holy shit. turned it on easy and went back to explore my huge cave. Hearing the noises from zombies was so fucking creepy. You know they are there, you just don't know where. Jesus christ.

Anyway, I got sucked down a river and BAM! right when I reach the end there's a creeper and a zombie waiting for me. I literally almost screamed "Holy shit!"

Luckily the creeper blew up, taking the zombie with it.

I can't wait for this stuff to make its way into multiplayer.

Brashnir

Worked some more on my tree house.

day shot from afar.

23tqwk0.png

night shot from the same spot

2n6ukxt.png

There's a little cabin at the top.

se0rbq.png

It's possible to climb all the way from the ground to the top of the tallest tree without using the central ladder I was using while I built it.

srst

A Creeper came out of nowhere in my closed-off mining tunnel and scared the shit out of me! Did I just found its spawn point?
If I built my stuff in the sky, they won't spawn there right?

Jasoco

Banned
That tree house kicks fucking ass. I am impressed. I love it. I still haven't built anything except my tower and my unfinished rail system that takes me to my two main mines where I have been mining for hours and hours. I have so much stuff I need to keep making chests to hold it all.

Can I get a confirmation? If I destroy a chest filled with stuff, what happens? Does it retain all its contents when I pick it up and place it again? What if I destroy a double chest? Will each half retain half the contents? Because I want to consolidate all my stuff into one place. I have like 10 double chests in three places.

r1chard

Man, that's a work of art.

I'm also building a tree house at the moment. Don't know whether I should continue now... tho mine is a little different.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Jasoco said:
That tree house kicks fucking ass. I am impressed. I love it. I still haven't built anything except my tower and my unfinished rail system that takes me to my two main mines where I have been mining for hours and hours. I have so much stuff I need to keep making chests to hold it all.

Can I get a confirmation? If I destroy a chest filled with stuff, what happens? Does it retain all its contents when I pick it up and place it again? What if I destroy a double chest? Will each half retain half the contents? Because I want to consolidate all my stuff into one place. I have like 10 double chests in three places.

I don't think so, otherwise you could keep many chests on yourself. I think all the stuff in it will come out.

Vlad

Jasoco said:
How many minecarts can I place in a train? And how do I use them? Will they stay attached together?

Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a minecart "train" currently. Minecarts can't be attached to one another. The closest thing to a train would be to use a powered minecart to push another one on the track, but from what I hear it's more worth it to use boosters (which is what I do).

Watch the three tutorial videos here to answer all your questions:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AlmtyBob#p/u

Jasoco

Banned
Thanks! I still don't have enough iron for tracks to cover it all but this will help!

Question: How tall should my tunnels be? The Wiki says they should be 2 tiles above the cart. So does that mean 3 total? Because right now all my tunnels where I'm gonna put tracks are 2 tiles high. Should I take out another layer of tiles above?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom