• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

spidye

Horsebite said:
2eywa42.gif
:lol
holy crap. you can build traps?

I think you should be able to assemble your own spawn cage, at massive material cost. Say eight diamond blocks surrounding a monster-remains middle-block. ie web in the middle for a spider spawncage, gunpowder for a creeper spawncage.

If the spawned monsters attacked you, they could be used for experiments like the various mobdrowning contraptions. If they spawned and were loyal to you, then you've got a damn interesting multiplayer mechanic right there.

BooJoh said:
For that particular tree, I started by building the main trunk out of dirt, as a 5x5 box. a few blocks up I added an inner layer so the top looked like this with dirt:
Code:
XXXXX
XXXXX
XX XX
XXXXX
XXXXX
Planted a sapling on every square and waited for most of them to grow. Then I added some more dirt sticking out of the sides and planted saplings on there to look like more branches.

As the trees grow you can go back and replace the dirt below each tree with log blocks harvested from other trees, to make it look like a huge trunk.

Honestly I think Brashnir really outdid me with his own treehouse though.

I saw that. Incredible. Thanks for the layout. I think the treehouses look real cool. Childhood and all.

I can't wait to gather more iron, and redstone so I can start playing around with circuitry. Traps will be fun.

owlbeak

ZZMitch said:
That is so awesome. Where is it from? :lol
:lol It's from www.minecraftforum.net (which is currently down so I can't get you the exact thread), but some guy basically made a "Garry's Mod" for Minecraft and someone made that and posted the GIF. There is another great one but I'm at work! will post when I get home! :D

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Horsebite said:
:lol It's from www.minecraftforum.net (which is currently down so I can't get you the exact thread), but some guy basically made a "Garry's Mod" for Minecraft and someone made that and posted the GIF. There is another great one but I'm at work! will post when I get home! :D
I liked the first one you posted, with the creeper coming through the roof, but you edited and changed before I could reply.

Sblargh

Banned
I have no artistic talent whatsoever and I doubt I'll ever be able to create something cool, will I be able to enjoy this game? I think I like the gameplay I have seen in videos.

owlbeak

Sblargh said:
I have no artistic talent whatsoever and I doubt I'll ever be able to create something cool, will I be able to enjoy this game? I think I like the gameplay I have seen in videos.
I suck ass at building anything impressive. I've always wanted an "exploration" game where I can just go explore and find cool things. This game delivers that. You feel like an explorer on an uncharted world. That's my number 1 reason I love this game. Finding amazing geography, digging down into the earth and finding amazing cave systems...it's just cool. The building and crafting is secondary for me.

Blizzard

Banned
Yay, maybe my emailing him twice helped get Notch's attention.

Twitter said:
I will fix the login password cleartext thing. It will require updating the launcher.

He also said on Twitter that he stores the passwords on the server as salted hashes, apparently, so at least that's some comfort.

Haunted

Sblargh said:
Yes, absolutely. Exploring caves, marvelling at the landscape as well as etching out your place in the world is a tremendous experience with no need for a degree in architecture or any of that fancy stuff. Fighting for survival and building your first pile of blocks house and eventually things like bigger piles of blocks towers comes naturally and is something anyone can do.

Brashnir

BooJoh said:
Honestly I think Brashnir really outdid me with his own treehouse though.

Thanks for the compliment, but yours looks really cool. I love the platform up in the canopy and the way it really looks like a house built into a tree. Mine is more of a house built onto a tree than in it.

I'm thinking about making a video of mine to show the platforming element of climbing it - I just have to tear myself away from my new project long enough to do it. :D

AtlusAram

Atlus USA Developer
I found my first naturally-occurring cave after days of searching (despite literally hours of digging down and around, going under mountains, etc., it ends up under a sand island in the middle of a huge lake, where I least expected it... lame). Can I expect to find rarer materials in a naturally-occurring cave with tons of monsters?

I saw at least one creeper and a few zombies I picked off, but I don't really want to risk death if there isn't a good chance I'll find something good and useful. From what I've read though, caves are the place to find rarer things, right?

Brashnir

AtlusAram said:
I found my first naturally-occurring cave after days of searching (despite literally hours of digging down and around, going under mountains, etc., it ends up under a sand island in the middle of a huge lake, where I least expected it... lame). Can I expect to find rarer materials in a naturally-occurring cave with tons of monsters?

the rarity of elements if determined by their depth, not their proximity to caves or monsters.

However, with a cave there is usually a lot of exposed material, so you'll generally see a bunch of exposed minerals as you explore, which are ripe for the picking.

AtlusAram

Atlus USA Developer
Brashnir said:
the rarity of elements if determined by their depth, not their proximity to caves or monsters.

However, with a cave there is usually a lot of exposed material, so you'll generally see a bunch of exposed minerals as you explore, which are ripe for the picking.

Also, I think I'll be able to keep my OCD in check and avoid standing there for 4 hours making a perfectly sealed cobblestone room underground, as I find myself doing everytime I start mining directly downward under my house.

Ugh.

Vlad

AtlusAram said:

I saw at least one creeper and a few zombies I picked off, but I don't really want to risk death if there isn't a good chance I'll find something good and useful. From what I've read though, caves are the place to find rarer things, right?

The rarer items have more to do with depth than cave/no cave. Caves seem to have more stuff in them simply because you are exposed to more surface area more quickly than you are just by brute force digging.

Dragmire

Darknessbear said:
Bought the game... dunno why, I was playing just fine in offline mode.

Now what can I do that's special?
I believe the next step is to realize that the game will never be updated again and start bitching about it.

I don't bitch about it and I kind of hate people bitching about it but that's just how it is.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
petethepanda said:
So what's the easiest way to get gunpowder? Any way that isn't an entire pain in the ass to set up?

VERY easy, but long.

Build yourself a house. Dig a hole that is three squares deep or so (so they can't jump out or attack you), and two squares wide (so spiders can fall inside), that goes all around the house.

At night stay inside, and chances are monsters and some creepers will come. They will all fall in the hole.

After the sun has risen and zombies and skellys died burning, there will be spiders and creepers left in the hole. Attack them from above, they will be unable to do anything. Once all dead, collect the goods.

It's something worth doing by just farming and waiting day after day, but my first shack was like this so every morning I'd get to kill some monsters and collect their loot:)

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Sblargh said:
I have yet to really even attempt anything artistic yet and I'm having a great time. Building a network of tunnels through the caves is somehow amazingly fun, even though it's basically work. :lol

seb

Banned
AtlusAram said:
Also, I think I'll be able to keep my OCD in check and avoid standing there for 4 hours making a perfectly sealed cobblestone room underground, as I find myself doing everytime I start mining directly downward under my house.

Ugh.

:lol Looks like me.
Everytime I find a huge cave, I have to:
- secure it. Kill all monsters, put torches *everywhere*
- mine it. Get all visible ore out of it, even the insignificatn ones that I don't need anymore (coal)
- make it just like home. Tranform it in a serie of rooms and corridors, connected by stairs (sometime monumental stairs, 3 or 4 steps large). Seal the water falls in fountains, secure the lava lakes in order to not fall in them accidentally.

Then and only then can I move to my next cave. I think I should post some screens of my caves, they seriously look like Moria.:D

AtlusAram

Atlus USA Developer
seb said:
:lol Looks like me.
Everytime I find a huge cave, I have to:
- secure it. Kill all monsters, put torches *everywhere*
- mine it. Get all visible ore out of it, even the insignificatn ones that I don't need anymore (coal)
- make it just like home. Tranform it in a serie of rooms and corridors, connected by stairs (sometime monumental stairs, 3 or 4 steps large). Seal the water falls in fountains, secure the lava lakes in order to not fall in them accidentally.

Then and only then can I move to my next cave. I think I should post some screens of my caves, they seriously look like Moria.:D

Oh, I had no trouble turning the OCD off this time. The cave was a twisting mess, looking a bit like a crooked finger from above, I'm sure. Lots of exposed coal and iron ore, but also incredibly close to the surface. Too close, it turned out, as one pickaxe into a coal block too many suddenly flooded my immediate area. I quickly tried to plug things enough to clog the flow and let myself clean the surrounding blocks out... only to suddenly hear a very unwelcome, very unexpected monster suddenly join me in the cave. At first I thought I was hearing surface monsters, but then I heard the splish splash of someone down in the cave with me. I had torched the bejeezus out of the place but I think the current brought him down: a skeleton.

So, with only half health to begin with and an inventory devoid of pork (my bad), I managed to kill the skeleton with 3 hearts left. I had one shot, which was to bolt out the uneven stairway I made into the cave and book it for home, which was a few paces away, but not too far. As SOON as I made it to the surface I was hit by two zombies and two spiders. Down to ONE heart, I sprinted, hoping to avoid the arrows of a lingering skeleton. Ran through the front door, slammed it behind me, and panted. I'm not returning to the cave.

Few games manage to capture as much tension and panic as nighttime in Minecraft. I thought night in Castlevania 2 freaked me out; this is just pure terror.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Still on my extended Minecraft break. I haven't played in something like a month, now. Lots of construction ideas percolating... but I'm def. waiting for the big expansion and will re-roll a new world. Hopefully my final world. I'm a serial re-roller. But with Biomes, I think I can truly be FINISHED and stick with one.

Re: Tension/Panic - very much agreed. The crazy thing about Minecraft is that when played on peaceful it is one of the most relaxing, zen gaming experiences out there. For a while I was playing on peaceful every night before bed to unwind.

But on other difficulties... it is sometimes absolute terror. I can't think of any other game that captures both extremes so well.

GDJustin said:
Still on my extended Minecraft break. I haven't played in something like a month, now. Lots of construction ideas percolating... but I'm def. waiting for the big expansion and will re-roll a new world. Hopefully my final world. I'm a serial re-roller. But with Biomes, I think I can truly be FINISHED and stick with one.

Re: Tension/Panic - very much agreed. The crazy thing about Minecraft is that when played on peaceful it is one of the most relaxing, zen gaming experiences out there. For a while I was playing on peaceful every night before bed to unwind.

But on other difficulties... it is sometimes absolute terror. I can't think of any other game that captures both extremes so well.

I've rerolled quite a bit, waiting for the right world. I think I've found it, but I'm sure I'll re roll another dozen times or so.

Sblargh

Banned
Gahr, I'll bite. Goddamnit, with this, Starcraft 2 and Civilization 5, I'm just fucking kidding myself that I'll have any time left for anything in this world.
And my girlfriend is moving in, and I'm starting my master's degree and I have a fucking job.
I'm fucked fucked fucked.
But it just looks so much fun.

Vinci

Danish
GDJustin said:

This is pretty much where I am as well, though I still play around in the game here and there testing things. But yeah, looking forward to biomes especially.

Sblargh

Banned
lol, my first experience with minecraft:
I find a mountain, make an entrance, craft a door to much of my pride, night comes, I don't see coal, I'm afraid to go out, well, I go down.
Down and down and down and now my screen is just black and I don't know where to move on my failed journey to the center of the world.
I go fuck it and start another world.
-
Now I'm being sistematic as hell. Find a mountain, create a big room, dig deep a bit, go back, create steps, make another room, dig a little deeper, create another steps.
It's really satisfying to see you carving something like a home in such a world.

Sblargh said:
Gahr, I'll bite. Goddamnit, with this, Starcraft 2 and Civilization 5, I'm just fucking kidding myself that I'll have any time left for anything in this world.
And my girlfriend is moving in, and I'm starting my master's degree and I have a fucking job.
I'm fucked fucked fucked.
But it just looks so much fun.

Good luck finding time with all that! My gf is in Spain, so I don't need to worry about that one. And I am just finishing up my undergrad. But, go you!

OnPoint

Caesar III said:
The page is down, so no connection at all. Check minecraft.net in such cases.

I did. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't me. I'm new to playing multiplayer though, does this happen occasionally? If so, how long til it comes back up

OnPoint said:
I did. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't me. I'm new to playing multiplayer though, does this happen occasionally? If so, how long til it comes back up
this happens when notch's server is too overloaded and crashes :lol too many people buying the game right now. Usally it's about 1-2 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom