• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

L00P

Metalic Sand said:
Everytime im exploring in huge dark areas and i hear that arrow shot my heart just starts beating like crazy :lol

Seriously. I opened my chest with my bow equipped and it scared the shit outta me:lol

Vlad

Jasoco said:
Thanks! I still don't have enough iron for tracks to cover it all but this will help!

Question: How tall should my tunnels be? The Wiki says they should be 2 tiles above the cart. So does that mean 3 total? Because right now all my tunnels where I'm gonna put tracks are 2 tiles high. Should I take out another layer of tiles above?

Technically, you can ride in a minecart through a tunnel that's two blocks high, but there's one problem...

See, when you get out of a minecart, your character ends up standing on top of it. Since the minecart is one block high, and your character is two, you end up embedded in the ceiling and taking damage. Sometimes you'll fall back out of the ceiling before dying, sometimes you won't. So always make your minecart tunnels three blocks tall, just to be safe.

SumGamer

Dug around last night and found Mob spawner block. I was thinking about making a cage with water flowing through to drown them and get item automatically, is that possible?

fresquito

Haunted said:
I completely failed making a spawner trap. :(

The spiders eventually overwhelmed me after two to three different unsuccessful attempts to wall them in with glass and drown them... got back in there and destroyed the spawn block.

:sadface
Put torches all around the cage and build a wall around. Beside one of the walls, mine a 5x2x4 hole and flood it. Build a second wall around the flooded hole, with one glass face. destroy the base of the hole so the water will run, but keep alternative blocks so spiders won't run through. Make the stream run for five or six blocks until it doesn't go anywhere, so you don't have to enter the stream to pick the items. Destroy the wall that separates the spawn cage from the flooded hole. Flood the whole aread with a bucket so the torches will go to the flooded gate. Erase this last stream. Profit.

This is how I kill zombies.

- e water
- x blocks
- z spawn cage
- h glass
- - nothing

Seen from above:

xxxxxxx
x-------x
x---z---x <- spawn room with walls
x-------x
xeeeeex
xeeeeex
xhhhhhx <- wall of glass
xeeeeex <- 6 blocks below
xeeeeex
xeeeeex
xeeeeex
xeeeeex <- end of the stream
x-------x

Seen from the stream:

xhhhhhx
xhhhhhx
xhhhhhx
xhhhhhx
xhhhhhx
xehehex <- overture for the water.

Hope (and doubt) this will help.

Haunted

fresquito said:
Put torches all around the cage and build a wall around. Beside one of the walls, mine a 5x2x4 hole and flood it. Build a second wall around the flooded hole, with one glass face. destroy the base of the hole so the water will run, but keep alternative blocks so spiders won't run through. Make the stream run for five or six blocks until it doesn't go anywhere, so you don't have to enter the stream to pick the items. Destroy the wall that separates the spawn cage from the flooded hole. Flood the whole aread with a bucket so the torches will go to the flooded gate. Erase this last stream. Profit.

This is how I kill zombies.

- e water
- x blocks
- z spawn cage
- h glass
- - nothing

Seen from above:

xxxxxxx
x-------x
x---z---x <- spawn room with walls
x-------x
xeeeeex
xeeeeex
xhhhhhx <- wall of glass
xeeeeex <- 6 blocks below
xeeeeex
xeeeeex
xeeeeex
xeeeeex <- end of the stream
x-------x

Seen from the stream:

xhhhhhx
xhhhhhx
xhhhhhx
xhhhhhx
xhhhhhx
xehehex <- overture for the water.

Hope (and doubt) this will help.
Haha, thanks for the effort. :)

I'll try again next time I see a spawn (in 50 -60 gameplay hours given their rarity >_>). :D

I do want to make it mainly out of glass because I want to watch them struggle *insert evil laugh*, but my main problem was probably my lack of patience. I impulsively said "fuck it" and killed the spawn instead of calmly resetting the surroundings and trying again. It's really hard for me to get those water currents running the way I want to.

fresquito

Yeah, it happened to me too. But in the end, you only need one simple deep hole where they can be led to. I tried flooding the whole chamber, so they'd die just as they appeared, but it's useless, because when the whole place is flooded, they will not spawn.

You can build it with glass, instead of rocks. Just don't you try to flood the whole place.

Jasoco

Banned
Do dungeons (With the mossy walls, treasure chests and such) only show up if you're not on Peaceful? What if I switch from Peaceful to Easy? Will one or more just appear? Or not until I load more uncharted map?

BooJoh

Jasoco said:
Do dungeons (With the mossy walls, treasure chests and such) only show up if you're not on Peaceful? What if I switch from Peaceful to Easy? Will one or more just appear? Or not until I load more uncharted map?
I've found them, including chests and non-working monster spawners, in peaceful. I don't recall if I had monsters on at any time in those particular worlds, but I think they can still be generated while in peaceful, and switching difficulty won't make them vanish.

Tarin02543

I've just bought Minecraft Alpha but I have a stupid username and want to create a new one. Can I change the name without having to rebuy it?

randomwab

I have a weird question to ask, but whatever. I've been wanting to play Minecraft on my lunch breaks at work, but minecraft.net is blocked. Is there a way for me to bring the client and background files in on a memory stick? I tried bringing the client, but it won't connect to the server. I'm just thinking if i can drag the .minecraft folder from home and play the game offline.

GC|Simon

Hi there,

I'm new to the game and have some questions. Currently, I'm able to produce some basic tools axes, pickaxes and shovels. I've some kind of a simple "house" and a mine where I get cole and iron from. However, what's next? Stupid question, right?

fresquito

GC|Simon said:
Hi there,

I'm new to the game and have some questions. Currently, I'm able to produce some basic tools axes, pickaxes and shovels. I've some kind of a simple "house" and a mine where I get cole and iron from. However, what's next? Stupid question, right?
Not exactly stupid, but without a real answer. It's a sandbox game, and it means it. You can do whatever you want... that you can do.

The next question is "what can I do then?". Well, there're certainly a lot of things you can do. Just check some youtube videos, get ideas or, better, come up with your own.

Not very helping, I know, but this is Minecraft after all.

GC|Simon said:
Hi there,

As the poster above stated, anything you want. Sandbox to the max. Just start building, or just start digging. Whatever you fancy. Here is the crafting list, which will allow you to build more things, and you can even begin making some circuitry, some cart tracks, and making your home fancier, and nicer. You want a glass ceiling? Do it! You want a spire? Do it! This game is incredibly open ended and is yours to do what you want.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crafting

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
GC|Simon said:
Hi there,

I just kept a window to the crafting wiki open and ran around more or less aimlessly, doing whatever I felt like at the moment. That way I was still sandboxing pretty hard but I wouldn't get too frustrated over lack of direction on what to do with new stuff.

Agentnibs

GC|Simon said:
Hi there,

Build Bigger! :D

I blind bought this game based on everyone's impressions and I don't regret it one bit. This easily one of my favorite games ever

GC|Simon said:
Hi there,

Right now, I've set the difficulty to hard, and I'm trying to claim a new section of the mine I'm in. It's ridiculously difficult, but extremely satisfying when I have made some progress.

So did we give this stuff the name "Evil Ore" yet? Since we now know its a block

tumblr_l9zco79NUl1qzd3eyo1_250.png

GC|Simon

Okay, I continued to play the game. Somehow addicting... I looked for a new "island" since my last one was pretty small. After a short travel time, I found a really big one. Build a little house. And now I'm in freaking trouble! I can't leave my house. There are some monsters and they explode when I leave my house... Why there are monsters at daylight?! How to deal with them?

ColinZeal

Neo Member
GC|Simon said:
Okay, I continued to play the game. Somehow addicting... I looked for a new "island" since my last one was pretty small. After a short travel time, I found a really big one. Build a little house. And now I'm in freaking trouble! I can't leave my house. There are some monsters and they explode when I leave my house... Why there are monsters at daylight?! How to deal with them?
Congrats, you´ve encountered "Creepers". Once they´re close enough to you they sizzle and explode in 3 secs. You COULD try to kill it before it explodes, but that´s up to you. :)

THIS game is CRACK. On Cocaine and ice cream.

GC|Simon

ColinZeal said:
Congrats, you´ve encountered "Creepers". Once they´re close enough to you they sizzle and explode in 3 secs. You COULD try to kill it before it explodes, but that´s up to you. :)

THIS game is CRACK. On Cocaine and ice cream.

I'm able to kill two or so. But the problem is: They come back every night. I don't understand why they know where I live... and why they are waiting for me... I mean, at night, I'm inside my "house" and my door is closed...

GC|Simon said:
I'm able to kill two or so. But the problem is: They come back every night. I don't understand why they know where I live... and why they are waiting for me... I mean, at night, I'm inside my "house" and my door is closed...

BUILD A MOAT!

GC|Simon said:

Build a moat or some fire pits if you've got flint and steel. Also build another way out. Creepers are easy to take down with hit and run tactics, but if you mess up, boom!

I finally found a large, very wealthy cave system. Lots of mobs, but now spawner. I killed them, and walled off what I could and began working my way in. I finally found some gold, and I'm excited to utilize it.

Haunted

SmokingBarrelX said:
I finally found a large, very wealthy cave system. Lots of mobs, but now spawner. I killed them, and walled off what I could and began working my way in. I finally found some gold, and I'm excited to utilize it.
uh oh

GC|Simon said:
They're creepers. They know.

gstAx.png

Haunted

SmokingBarrelX said:
Haunted, I love that poster. And I'm thinking gold armor that I will take out when I'm killing zombies.
Just don't let them hit you! Gold tools/armour are useless as fuck. Man, I was so happy when I found my first gold because I thought it'd be a nice upgrade from my iron stuff. Little did I know. :(

Tryckser said:
Seriously? C'mon. :lol

edit: a good rule to follow is that if you have to ask the answer is yes.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Last night I started the long process of building an underground tunnel, under a massive lake, from my spawn island to a different one. Pretty sure I went deep enough, but it's fun to keep digging and never know if the next block is the one that will let in all the water. Nearly crapped myself when I took out some stone that happened to have some gravel (or whatever it is that gives flint) on top that then fell down. I don't really even know how far I have to go (over water with max draw distance it still takes a while to see land when moving by boat), I'm just going to keep digging and then ultimately block myself into a 1x1 area so I can dig upwards; that way if I happen to still be underwater, it will only flood the small container I'm in instead of the entire tunnel.

Right when I decided to quit for the night, I had managed to find a cave. Should be fun to explore, especially since NOW if a creeper spawns it could bring down the whole ocean on top of me.

How are people making underwater glass tunnels? I think I saw someplace that people make a wood tunnel, then a glass tunnel, then burn the wood, but I'm trying to picture which one is on the outside and how it would work overall and I'm not really seeing it.

Shit. I went out to get supplies, needed wood, and wanted seedlings to build a tree line behind my great wall I'm building. Got a ton of the stuff. Now I'm completely lost, very far from home, not sure where it is and have no compass. Can not believe how dumb that was.

I'm setting up camp.

Going to be a rough couple of nights. I've stored my spoils in a treasure chest, so if I die in lava or anything else I can trek my way back to it.

I've also surrounded the area in torches and made 3 tall pillars to find the location again if I need to.

Time to go down, into the mines to hopefully find red stone to build a compass and bring home everything.

BooJoh

Man, that Animal Crossing pack is nice. I already recreated the landscape of my AC:CF town (not finished with buildings and trees yet) in one of my worlds, maybe I'll give this a try sometime.

I wanted an autumn look, and I tried Painterly but everything was so different that I just felt a little lost. So I reverted to the default textures, pulled out the .png, and did some hue shifts on the grass and leaves. I like the end result; mostly default textures, but with a nice autumn feel.

autumn1.png

BooJoh

SmokingBarrelX said:
How do you make trees that large?

p.s. I love the autumn look
For that particular tree, I started by building the main trunk out of dirt, as a 5x5 box. a few blocks up I added an inner layer so the top looked like this with dirt:
Code:
XXXXX
XXXXX
XX XX
XXXXX
XXXXX
Planted a sapling on every square and waited for most of them to grow. Then I added some more dirt sticking out of the sides and planted saplings on there to look like more branches.

As the trees grow you can go back and replace the dirt below each tree with log blocks harvested from other trees, to make it look like a huge trunk.

Honestly I think Brashnir really outdid me with his own treehouse though.

owlbeak

GC|Simon said:
2eywa42.gif

alanias

BooJoh said:
Man, that Animal Crossing pack is nice. I already recreated the landscape of my AC:CF town (not finished with buildings and trees yet) in one of my worlds, maybe I'll give this a try sometime.

I wanted an autumn look, and I tried Painterly but everything was so different that I just felt a little lost. So I reverted to the default textures, pulled out the .png, and did some hue shifts on the grass and leaves. I like the end result; mostly default textures, but with a nice autumn feel.

Can you post your png file somewhere? I am not so great at image editing, but that fall terrain looks great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom