• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

edgefusion

Find-a-creeper-fall-into-a-hole.jpg

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
OnPoint said:
Ah. Thanks. I'll find something else to do for now then :(

I just wanted to search for more mossy coblestone... haha

ADDICTED

I am on day 2 of my mossy cobblestone search. I have 10 diamond and 68 iron. Yet, only one dungeon found.

I'm beginning to think I hallucinated the mossy cobblestone. I'm beginning to question reality.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
WanderingWind said:
I am on day 2 of my mossy cobblestone search. I have 10 diamond and 68 iron. Yet, only one dungeon found.

I'm beginning to think I hallucinated the mossy cobblestone. I'm beginning to question reality.
I found my first deposit of diamond literally in the first 20 or 30 minutes or so of playing the game (if my estimation is right, lord knows time flies in this game). Basically just went straight into building a staircase downwards, found iron on the way, then found diamond at the bottom by the bedrock.

Haven't seen any of it since, in that map or the 3 others I've explored in the hours and hours I've been playing the game. :(

Question - is ther any way to create new water and/or lava? I thought I read something in here the other day about making a 3*1 trough and putting water on either end, which would spawn an always renewable water spot in the middle, but I haven't gotten that to work nor have I heard of a similar thing for lava. I just can't imagine, after seeing some of the massive, MASSIVE obsidian structures that people have made, that they found that much lava occurring naturally.

Vlad

Monroeski said:
Question - is ther any way to create new water and/or lava? I thought I read something in here the other day about making a 3*1 trough and putting water on either end, which would spawn an always renewable water spot in the middle, but I haven't gotten that to work nor have I heard of a similar thing for lava. I just can't imagine, after seeing some of the massive, MASSIVE obsidian structures that people have made, that they found that much lava occurring naturally.

The method for renewable water is exactly like you described. I just tested it out and it works just fine. Personally, for my infinite water supplies, I like to make a 2x2 hole and put water in opposite corners. This will turn all four spaces into water sources that will be automatically replenished by their adjacent sources. There is no such method currently for lava.

And as a maker of one of those obsidian structures, let me tell you that it's definitely possible to find that much lava naturally. At the very bottom of the world, there are HUGE lava pools if you look around enough. Not only are they large, but they also go rather deep (5-6 blocks in some cases), giving you plenty of lava to work with.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Vlad said:
The method for renewable water is exactly like you described. I just tested it out and it works just fine. Personally, for my infinite water supplies, I like to make a 2x2 hole and put water in opposite corners. This will turn all four spaces into water sources that will be automatically replenished by their adjacent sources. There is no such method currently for lava.

And as a maker of one of those obsidian structures, let me tell you that it's definitely possible to find that much lava naturally. At the very bottom of the world, there are HUGE lava pools if you look around enough. Not only are they large, but they also go rather deep (5-6 blocks in some cases), giving you plenty of lava to work with.
So in other words,

X = dig hole
W = water from bucket
_ = normal ground

Both:
WXXXW

and

W___
_XX_
_XX_
___X

should work? Wonder why the first wasn't working for me yesterday. Went at that sucker from all angles with a bucket.

Vlad

Blu_LED said:
Is there anyway to survive after you've set yourself on fire?

As others said, water's great. If that's not an option, eat healing items to keep yourself alive until the fire goes out.

If you can't do either of those, you're screwed.

Monroeski said:
So in other words,

X = dig hole
W = water from bucket
_ = normal ground

Both:
WXXXW

and

W___
_XX_
_XX_
___X

should work? Wonder why the first wasn't working for me yesterday. Went at that sucker from all angles with a bucket.

Errrr.. no.

Well, the first one works just fine, but the second one isn't right.. It's more like:

Take this:
Code:
____
_XX_
_XX_
____

And Dump water in the hole like so:

Code:
____
_XW_
_WX_
____

The Xs will turn into Ws, and then you can bucket out any of the four squares and they'll be replaced by the others.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Wow, making skins is awesome!

Mi first skin is Saeko from HOTD! :lol

http://www.minecraft.net/skin/skin.jsp?user=SPRidley
very well done. Hope there is a season 2 :(

So i followed this natural mine so far down i am now lost as to where to go with creepers everywhere. like 80 Iron on me 10 diamond, 10 gold, 100's of coal. I gotta find a way out!

I forgot to build a sword or take food on my journey either. Fuuu

Vinci

Danish
Sblargh said:
Now I'm being sistematic as hell. Find a mountain, create a big room, dig deep a bit, go back, create steps, make another room, dig a little deeper, create another steps.

You can create block steps as you're cutting your way diagonally into the ground. You don't have to make formal steps or stairs until later. It'll save you time and help you find more things faster.

Vanpira

Monroeski said:
So in other words,

X = dig hole
W = water from bucket
_ = normal ground

Both:
WXXXW

and

W___
_XX_
_XX_
___X

Water duplicates when there is a water source on each side of an empty block space. So your first one didn't work because you have three spaces instead of one. Just dig three holes and put water in the two side holes. WXW or WXWXW and so on.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
animlboogy said:
Download the server program, and set up a game on your network. Figure out what the server IP is, and you should be up and ready to go.

Survival mode doesn't work, though. You can't get hurt.

I tired the server program, and it said "Java is not the name of a recognized program, command. Press any key to continue."

Then it just shuts off

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
When you figure out how the water spawning logic works it's a piece of cake to spam infinite water all over the place as much as you want.

r1chard

Zek said:
When you figure out how the water spawning logic works it's a piece of cake to spam infinite water all over the place as much as you want.
Yep. I quite enjoy crafting my own little rivers, ponds and lakes :)

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Vanpira said:
Water duplicates when there is a water source on each side of an empty block space. So your first one didn't work because you have three spaces instead of one. Just dig three holes and put water in the two side holes. WXW or WXWXW and so on.
I also tried

_W_
XXX
_W_

And it didn't work. :(

Now that I'm home I'll see if I can get it working.

::edit::
Figured it out. When I went WXW, I only actually dug a hole at the X and put the two W's on ground level. Once I dug a hole for all three it's working great.

r1chard

Monroeski said:
I also tried

_W_
XXX
_W_

And it didn't work. :(

Now that I'm home I'll see if I can get it working.

::edit::
Figured it out. When I went WXW, I only actually dug a hole at the X and put the two W's on ground level. Once I dug a hole for all three it's working great.
If you're making a larger pond or lake you can generally start in one corner with two buckets, make the diagonal

WX
XW

and then refill one bucket and just copy&pasting sources starting from that point. Keep going until there's no flowing water. A good-sized (flat) lake takes no time at all doing this.

Hey I have a question people.

So I played this during the free period when his server imploded.

At that point I was playing it on my Macbook because I was away from home.

Now I am thinking of buying the game, but wondering if there is anyway to transfer my save/world over to a PC?

I put a bunch of work into a huge mountain fortress that I didn't get to finish. Would like to at least finish it before moving on to something else.

BudokaiMR2 said:
Now I am thinking of buying the game, but wondering if there is anyway to transfer my save/world over to a PC?

Yeah, you can transfer the save quite easily - no idea where it's stored on a mac though, on PC the saves are stored in the user's appdata folder.

upandaway

Bootaaay said:
Yeah, you can transfer the save quite easily - no idea where it's stored on a mac though, on PC the saves are stored in the user's appdata folder.
On mac I think it's inside ~/Library/Application Support/Minecraft/saves/ (shift+command+g in finder)

No clue if the saves are made the same way between OS' though.

GC|Simon

That was so much work... and it's far away from being finished...

2hfjp6v.png

sdk2de.png

Unfortunately, I just died and I don't know where the hell my castle is...

Krelian

upandaway said:
On mac I think it's inside ~/Library/Application Support/Minecraft/saves/ (shift+command+g in finder)

No clue if the saves are made the same way between OS' though.
They are. I used a Linux server world on a Mac server and it works like a charm. You can even use the same worlds for multiplayer and single player.

Brashnir

GC|Simon said:
Unfortunately, I just died and I don't know where the hell my castle is...

Ouch. Looks like it's big enough that it should be relatively easy to spot if you get close, at least. I like the location you picked for it.

GC|Simon

Found my castle again and continued to work on it. Now it's completely out of stone:

2i9mc28.png

In my castle:

350jrl4.png

View from the highest point of my castle:

2m2vuo4.png

Moon rising in the "church" of my castle:

24yzeki.png

seb

Banned
GC|Simon said:
Nice, you should add some monuments, fountains, etc...

I love how you set your own goals in this game. My own long term project was to build a monument with the rarest ores. Took me weeks to gather the materials, but now I live under the diamond&gold Atari Fuji :D:
atari.png

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Blizzard said:
I just got a phishing spam message from someone who joined the GAF (Minecraft?) group, apparently, so watch out.

Same here

goldsoundz said:
What a fucking disaster. I can't get the water to level out in the middle sections of the pond where its deeper.

[MG]http://oi52.tinypic.com/30cmz4k.jpg[/G]

the way i've built flat ponds/lakes before is basically make a checkerboard of dirt/water at the level you want the water to be flat at. then start removing the dirt, the 2/3 waters next to each other will spawn new blocks between them where the dirt was. once you have a level surface you can remove blocks underneath and the water will fill the space without disrupting the surface. time-consuming but looks best when finished.

tho you may have to fill the lake with dirt first. you'll need a lot of dirt actually, start digging ;)

Firehead

Blizzard said:
teken01, private profile. I figured it was an open-to-anyone group, but if they had permission to join they might have been phished themselves.
Yeah, opened to all. In the history, it showed they joined and then left seven minutes later. I apologise for that. x_x

At first I hated running into monsters in the caves I've found, but I've rediscovered them as puzzles. It is a blast seeing a group of them, having to clear out what you can and make a wall, and then figuring out how to proceed next. And usually the areas they possess lay claim to some kush materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom