• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

mollipen

How much should I be crying over the loss of twelve diamonds? I had just learned how to mine the red, blue, and gold nodes, so I went into the big cave I discovered and snatched up everything there I could find. Then, through a series of unfortunate incidents, I lost all my diamonds, all the gold and iron bars I had so far, my compass, and lord knows what else I had on me.

I've heard diamonds are pretty rare, so not sure how big of a deal losing 12 of them are.

shidoshi said:
How much should I be crying over the loss of twelve diamonds? I had just learned how to mine the red, blue, and gold nodes, so I went into the big cave I discovered and snatched up everything there I could find. Then, through a series of unfortunate incidents, I lost all my diamonds, all the gold and iron bars I had so far, my compass, and lord knows what else I had on me.

I've heard diamonds are pretty rare, so not sure how big of a deal losing 12 of them are.

They're decently rare but their only good use in my opinion is making pick axes and shovels to last longer and faster. Some will argue they aren't even worth that.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
I have found diamond swords kill anything in 2 hits while iron swords take 3 hits so diamond is good for that. Found it out yesterday when i figured i use my sword so much i mite as well make a diamond one.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
shidoshi said:

you should be crying so hard that your eyeballs evaporate :lol

owlbeak

I've NEVER found any diamonds in the three-four months I've played this game. :lol

I have been in giant cave systems down to the bedrock....never seen any diamonds. :(

mollipen

shadowcomplex said:
you should be crying so hard that your eyeballs evaporate :lol

If the world I'm in now wasn't one of the most amazing things visually I've seen in Minecraft (or hell, and game for a while), I'd delete the whole world and start over out of rage.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I'm in a hole with a roof thing I made while zombies are moaning outside. How long does this last? :lol

And is there a way to see item names? I have no idea what's what other than the icons, but that's only so helpful.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
RevenantKioku said:
I'm in a hole with a roof thing I made while zombies are moaning outside. How long does this last? :lol

And is there a way to see item names? I have no idea what's what other than the icons, but that's only so helpful.

Sounds like you are just starting out, I still remember my first temporary hole i held up in from the creepers. Scary times.

Stay away from the four legged green ones... oh god.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I think I'm completely fucked. I got scared so I completely blocked off where I was but that made it pitch dark. I got bored so I just started punching in the dark and now I have no idea where I am or what's what and the entire screen is black. My pick broke and now I'm just punching the darkness while I hear slurping sounds.

Artadius

RevenantKioku said:
I think I'm completely fucked. I got scared so I completely blocked off where I was but that made it pitch dark. I got bored so I just started punching in the dark and now I have no idea where I am or what's what and the entire screen is black. My pick broke and now I'm just punching the darkness while I hear slurping sounds.

RevenantKioku
CREEPERS CREEPERS CREEPERS
CREEPERS CREEPERS CREEPERS oh
god i am drowning in them
(Today, 11:26 PM)
Reply | Quote

RevenantKioku

Yeah, but is there anything I can DO about my situation? I mean, the screen is entirely black. How long does night last anyway?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
RevenantKioku said:
OH SWEET GLORIOUS SKY!

WHAT THE FUCK JUST EXPLODED?
gstAx.png

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I just had a pretty good string of somehow accidentally falling into lava in three straight worlds. Never had that happen before, and now I'm out a crap ton of iron since in those three worlds I was carrying around a few pickaxes and buckets. Crap.

RevenantKioku

I just can't find coal! Just been hiding in my dirt house, going out in the morning, having it mostly blown up, rebuilding and looking for goddamned coal. Where is coal!

RevenantKioku said:
I just can't find coal! Just been hiding in my dirt house, going out in the morning, having it mostly blown up, rebuilding and looking for goddamned coal. Where is coal!

Why are you living in dirt? You should have plenty of cobblestone if you're digging for coal.

If you like the look of a dirt house, at least put a layer of cobblestone between the dirt or something.

RevenantKioku

I don't know why I'm living in dirt. It feels, proper? For the start at least, haha.
I did find some, though, now my original house is becoming a mining spot and I'm building a building around my starting point. Gonna build a bridge or something. And I planted a tree on top of my old dirt house! Yay?

RevenantKioku said:
I don't know why I'm living in dirt. It feels, proper? For the start at least, haha.
I did find some, though, now my original house is becoming a mining spot and I'm building a building around my starting point. Gonna build a bridge or something. And I planted a tree on top of my old dirt house! Yay?

I did the same thing. I started with a dirt hole in the side of a cliff. Then I walled it up and it basically became a little stone bunker that still had grass and trees on top.

Eventually I made it a three story walled in fortress pretty much destroying that whole cliff.

Althane

HadesGigas said:
I did the same thing. I started with a dirt hole in the side of a cliff. Then I walled it up and it basically became a little stone bunker that still had grass and trees on top.

Eventually I made it a three story walled in fortress pretty much destroying that whole cliff.

I just said screw it, and made a beach house.

That is, my house is a beach.

Figuring out how to get the water on top was fun. =D

(Bonus? No Creeper troubles, ever!

unless they can get in 3 square deep water...

Can they get in 3 square deep water?)

Mudkips

Banned
Blue_Gecko said:
Can you actually make a trap like this?

You kind of can.
Have a empty pit deep below.
The trap door would be just a column of sand.
In the bottom of the pit is TNT near the sand column.
The button detonates the TNT.
The sand at the bottom is busted.
The sand column falls down.

The delay means you have to get the timing perfect, or use a double door to trap the creeper first, then drop it down below.

Suairyu

Banned
Horsebite said:
I've NEVER found any diamonds in the three-four months I've played this game. :lol

I have been in giant cave systems down to the bedrock....never seen any diamonds. :(
Branch mining. Youtube it. You'll find ~5 diamonds within the space of one hour. You'll also have more redstone and iron than you know what to do with. And gold. And far too much fucking coal.

BooJoh

elrechazao said:
anyone ever get lost? had to commit suicide after trying to find civilization for 2 hours or so.
I got lost in my main world once. I grabbed a bunch of torches and a few picks, then set off exploring. Decided to just head north. Obviously I saw interesting landforms and went to check them out, and eventually found I was pretty lost. Then it occurred to me I forgot to make a compass, and my redstone was at my base.

Luckily my base was at the beach to the south, and I managed to follow a coastline back home.
RevenantKioku said:
Explore around outside. There's almost always a coal deposit nearby somewhere that's fully exposed on the side of a cliff or in a shallow hole. You might want to build a tower at a high point near your house before you leave so you can see it from farther away. Once you have torches throw some on top of the tower so it'll serve as a beacon to find your way home.

The_Technomancer said:
Not yet. You could probably do something similar with a flow of water behind a door though.
To cover all types of monsters this needs to be 3 blocks long. but with this the monsters stop! So if you want to be save somewhere, make entrances with holes 3 blocks deep and long and you are safe. :D
2uici9t.jpg

It's a 3x3x3 hole with a waterfall from above. So I can jump through easily and monsters cannot follow.

Benedict

I don't know if this has been posted already but one of Swedens biggest "newspapers" has done an interview with the creator.
http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/spela/article7965992.ab

Some snippets from the article:
A game (Minecraft) is sold every three seconds (€9.95)
At the time that the article was written: 402 157 people had bought the game.
(I'm not own of them... yet.)

In september he earned 16 000 000 sek ($2 428 586)

He bought himself a new hat and an digital drawing board.

Valve flew him over to Seattle and wanted to recruit him, but he turned them down to work at his own studio to finish Minecraft and start developing a new game.

Haunted

Benedict said:
I don't know if this has been posted already but one of Swedens biggest "newspapers" has done an interview with the creator.
http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/spela/article7965992.ab

Some snippets from the article:
A game (Minecraft) is sold every three seconds (€9.95)
At the time that the article was written: 402 157 people had bought the game.
(I'm not own of them... yet.)

In september he earned 16 000 000 sek ($2 428 586)

He bought himself a new hat and an digital drawing board.

Valve flew him over to Seattle and wanted to recruit him, but he turned them down to work at his own studio to finish Minecraft and start developing a new game.
:eek:

That's the only new bit from that interview, everything else was already known.

Horsebite said:

Heh, I've played less than 10 hours and found about 10

Belfast

Haunted said:
:eek:

That's the only new bit from that interview, everything else was already known.

Yes, but can one ever truly "finish" Minecraft? It seems like the kind of game that could evolve continually until Notch (or the community) ran out of ideas.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Brazil said:
From Notch's Twitter.

So no one will have to reroll their worlds to have biomes.

But you will if you have any hope of exploring these different biomes anywhere near your spawn point.

I'm undecided if I'm going to reroll or not. My current home is a giant castle, but with no real theme or unified idea behind it. It's more of an amusement park, with different attractions and whatnot. I may want to actually plan a new area out.

Haunted

Do we actually know what kind of biomes will be in the update? We've got pack ice and temperate worlds at the moment, are these two the only ones that are going to be in a single world?

I think he mentioned swamps and deserts before...

Can anyone tell me what these solid black blocks I'm finding are? They're super deep, and indestructable, even to my diamond pick. They look like obsidian, but minepedia says obsidian is breakable by a diamond pick...

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
elrechazao said:
Can anyone tell me what these solid black blocks I'm finding are? They're super deep, and indestructable, even to my diamond pick. They look like obsidian, but minepedia says obsidian is breakable by a diamond pick...

GAH! Stop digging down! Those are bedrock and they signify the bottom of the world. If you get underneath one, chances are you'll fall to through to the void, killing you instantly and making you lose everything on you with no chance of recovery.

Jintor said:
If there's sheer sheets of it you've hit Adminium or Bedrock. You can't break through.
It's weird, they're interspersed. There'll be one every few feet, with regular stone mixed in, not a solid sheet.

MNC

You won't need to reroll your world because you will have to walk outside of your original border to generate new locations which will have the biomes.

RevenantKioku

BooJoh said:
Explore around outside. There's almost always a coal deposit nearby somewhere that's fully exposed on the side of a cliff or in a shallow hole. You might want to build a tower at a high point near your house before you leave so you can see it from farther away. Once you have torches throw some on top of the tower so it'll serve as a beacon to find your way home.
I'm exploring, I'm just not finding coal. Well, I found it once but then I drowned while holding it and now my coal is at the bottom of the ocean.

Jintor

elrechazao said:
It's weird, they're interspersed. There'll be one every few feet, with regular stone mixed in, not a solid sheet.

Might be Obsidian then. Think you need a Diamond pick for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom