• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitz

The Friday update is available, so far the new things I've found are better looking cacti textures, and the ability to milk cows using a bucket. Some people are talking about "Slimes" and chain armour, unconfirmed if that's accurate though. Oh, apparently there's bamboo now too.

Colkate said:
The Friday update is available, so far the new things I've found are better looking cacti textures, and the ability to milk cows using a bucket. Some people are talking about "Slimes" and chain armour, unconfirmed if that's accurate though. Oh, apparently there's bamboo now too.
Righteous. I wonder what the milk can/will be used for aside from health. Also, bamboo material and chain armor! :D It only takes a screenshot to confirm... fingers crossed.

Funky Functionality said:
In all seriousness:

MINECRAFT |OT| Mining, Crafting, Building, and Surviving in the Ultimate Sandbox Game
Quoting for new page. ;)

filipe

Bah at work, and I don't want to start anything I'd want to continue later. So I'll just keep playing with my animations.

HjanD.gif

UHvUx.gif

Colkate said:
And sea monsters, which is very coincidental considering my last post!

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
The_Technomancer said:
This game really really captures the feelings of exploration and progress very well, because everything is procedural and random, and you have to do literally everything yourself. :D
The one thing that gets me is the sense of awe from seeing what you yourself or others have built. It's heightened from the fact that everything you see is fully built and realized, and when multiplayer rolls out, entirely explorable.

OgTheClever said:
Water mobs are coming soon, so you never know.
No DF-style uber-carp, I hope.

Fitz

OgTheClever said:
And sea monsters, which is very coincidental considering my last post!

Awesomeness, the water definitely needed something of interest. Also, books, via paper, via the new water reeds it seems are also in.

filipe said:
Bah at work, and I don't want to start anything I'd want to continue later.
I pretty much just made that mistake when showing my coworker the game. The world it built the first time here at work is just leagues and leagues more interesting than the one it built for me the first time at home, but I've put so much work into my home world that I wouldn't want to give it up...! Argh!

Colkate said:
Also, books, via paper, via the new water reeds it seems are also in.
Oh man... do they have the same functionality as the sign, allowing you to input text? Multiple pages?

Razorskin

----- ------
Colkate said:

Some pictures of what's added. (from the forum)

6EMX2.png

38kN3.jpg

se0pq1.jpg

filipe

I pretty much just made that mistake when showing my coworker the game. The world it built the first time here at work is just leagues and leagues more interesting than the one it built for me the first time at home, but I've put so much work into my home world that I wouldn't want to give it up...! Argh!

FUCK. I did it. I opened the game to seem of the new things. BEST. MOUNTAINS. Need to locate this save file stat. Just dunno where it'd be on Mac.

Fitz

Oh bookcases, fucking swish, I'm really glad that was added back, seeing as how the block itself had already been made, another great way to decorate my growing island estate.

Fitz

Yes indeed, especially as they take 3 books each to make, and I have yet to find any reeds, although I suppose I need to move to newly generated lands.

hoho. nice update today

ToxicAdam said:
This is one of those games (like Eve Online), where I get greater enjoyment reading the thread more than I would playing the game. These types of games aren't my cup of tea, but I love reading other people's impressions.
heh, I'm the same way about eve. really don't like playing it at all. love playing this though, it's got none of the frustrating/daunting qualities where the game just seems impossible to progress in at some point.

although I also love playing darkfall which is a lot more like eve in that respect, you can still do reasonably well there as just one guy or a small clan though. hopefully they'll add more build options to darkfall at some point, the game world is a bit too static

In all seriousness:

MINECRAFT |OT| Mining, Crafting, Building, and Surviving in the Ultimate Sandbox Game
seems about right

Remy

filipe said:
FUCK. I did it. I opened the game to seem of the new things. BEST. MOUNTAINS. Need to locate this save file stat. Just dunno where it'd be on Mac.

Mac saves are in:

~/Library/Application Support/minecraft/saves

Blizzard said:
That definitely sounds like a hardware thing...does your laptop get really hot on the bottom? You might try downloading a utility like RealTemp and seeing what your CPU temperature gets to. You could also try using the "fast" graphics option and make sure you have limiting fps turned on.

Yeah, it runs pretty hot when playing Minecraft, but it's been worse with other games like BFBC2 and i've never had it crash like this before - I turned on fast graphics though and have been playing it through the browser for a good few hours with no problems, so hopefully that's the end of it.

Think i'm getting the hang of this now, got myself a sizeable mine behind a waterfall, with numerous entrances and a castle tower :) Also, I was digging out a stairwell and I broke through the ceiling of a huge underground tunnel structure, no sign of any enemies yet, but i've found a ton of coal and mushrooms and some lava for the first time, the scale of this place is ridiculous, it just goes on and on.

Fitz

I'm pretty certain they don't, as far as I'm aware they're just a secondary material used to make the bookshelf blocks. It seems like this update was partly a way for Notch to incorporate blocks that had already been created into the game, being the Bookcase and the Brick wall blocks.

Damn... I hope they become more functional if that's the case. Imagine the multiplayer implications if books had a couple pages to write on and could be placed as objects that persist in the world, waiting for someone to come and pick them up. It would basically be a built-in DIY quest system.

....dude. Minecraft Geocaching! :D

Blizzard

Banned
I'd guess that it would be best to generate a new world, since otherwise you wouldn't get reeds in the water. Slimes might spawn anyway? I wonder if they're dangerous, or benign, or what, since it seems like they could crawl up walls and through small holes.

:)lol at the fun-sized creeper comment)

Thanks for the warning about placing bookcases and not getting them back if you destroy them. Bookcases and bricks are indeed in the free creative mode, but the server I build on has an admin that...has VERY strong opinions about brick being ugly and uncreative, so people don't use it much. (i.e. pyramids, towers, and houses won't get you builder status, since pretty much the first thing most people probably try is a brick house/tower :lol)

Last night I didn't eat dinner until 10 PM thanks to this damn game. Seriously.

I'm scared to start playing it today because the whole day will disappear.

EDIT: Blizz, are you in the multiplayer test?

K2Valor said:
Does this update only work if you generate a new world? Just curious.

I'm not sure if everything works, but I saw the green slime things in my world created before the update.

Speaking of which, here's a shot of my place from the outside;

java2010-07-2317-36-46-54.jpg

And the tunnel system I found underneath;

java2010-07-2317-23-05-76.jpg

java2010-07-2317-23-10-01.jpg

New creeper slimes;

java2010-07-2317-28-20-25.jpg

Made a dam so the lava could flow into the creepers;

java2010-07-2317-30-55-99.jpg

java2010-07-2317-33-06-85.jpg

Cday

Banned
I think the whole tactic of finding coal above ground in cliff sides has been borked since I started a new world and couldn't find any above ground but the second I found an underground cave bam there it is.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm not in the multiplayer test, but I have a builder account on a free server. The admin is a bit of a jerk but at least it keeps griefers out. :p

Razorskin

----- ------
3kkbd.jpg

New map, nighttime hideout. Really nice map and snagged quite a bit of coal early on.

EDIT: Same area different textures, also added a workbench.
oR5OS.jpg

TheExecutive said:
It should update when you load the game. Do not need a new world
I think he means getting reed and stuff in your already created world.

Slime is confirmed and I hope the others are generated outside of the area where I was already as well.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So I rolled a new world today only to discover that the spot where I made my home is in fact just a thin veneer of two or three blocks over basically a honeycomb of caverns beneath, with openings into the upper world every fifty feet or so it seems. Cool! And also huge. And easy to get lost in. And fall down a pit and die. And fall into a waterfall and drown. And have a creeper drop in one of the openings, creep up behind you and explode, while you're trying to get back to the surface from an almost lethal fall. >_<

No seriously, I was trapped underground and my client crashed. So I loaded it back up again, and was alive for literally all of a second and a half before I heard "hisss BOOM!" and died, and I have absolutly no clue where I was and lost all my stuff.

Damn you all, I ended up breaking down and buying this. Reading about all of your adventures proved too much in the end. Really didn't need a timesink like this right now but what the hell. Going to dive into it over the weekend.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Good update to keep me going :)
He always surprises us with shit NOBODY guessed. Now to find some Papyrus and Clay on my map.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Razorskin said:
3kkbd.jpg

New map, nighttime hideout. Really nice map and snagged quite a bit of coal early on.

EDIT: Same area different textures, also added a workbench.
oR5OS.jpg
Love those textures. How/where can I get them?

Also, went on a fun adventure to try and find clay and reeds in my world. I figured it would only spawn in areas I haven't been - so I took to the sea. I had two boats, a sword, pickaxe, and shovel. Nothing else. I ventured off to see in search of the items. Long story short, I found them. I made the return journey home at night in a boat out at sea. I ran into an island. My boat broke. I was forced to scavenge for trees and avoid enemies as I tried to get my precious resources home. It was tense, scary, and fun.

I just got such an awesome spawn point in my newest world... too bad I'm at work. :lol Might have to e-mail myself the save for this one. I was greeted with this awesome little cove-type area and waterfall, and the mountain keeps on stretching off to the right, and I'm assuming that dark cavern just above and to the right of the waterfall extends into it at least partially. Coal in sight immediately, plenty of trees, lots of varied terrain in the distance.

rje9mr.jpg

Have been intending on downloading Minecraft the past months or two, good thing there's a GAF thread now.

I simply can't resist these beautiful 3D pixel-art worlds. Spot on with the thread title, this is taking something like 3D Dot Game Heroes' character customization to a whole new level.

No chance of PSN/XBLA release, right? Sorry, just quickly saw something about PS3 on their main site, probably nothing.

Anyone know how well it runs on Mac OS X?

ant_

jetsetfluken said:
Have been intending on downloading Minecraft the past months or two, good thing there's a GAF thread now.

I simply can't resist these beautiful 3D pixel-art worlds. Spot on with the thread title, this is taking something like 3D Dot Game Heroes' character customization to a whole new level.

Anyone know how well it runs on Mac OS X?
It runs fine on my Macbook Pro. I have to lower the settings a bit, but at full screen I can consistently get 60+ FPS. One thing I did notice though is that while playing this game my computer runs abnormally hot. Not sure if it's the game or my computer, but yeah.

K2Valor said:
It runs fine on my Macbook Pro. I have to lower the settings a bit, but at full screen I can consistently get 60+ FPS. One thing I did notice though is that while playing this game my computer runs abnormally hot. Not sure if it's the game or my computer, but yeah.

I see, what is the RAM/GHz of your Macbook Pro, which version of OS X and what year is the model from?

Blizzard

Banned
K2Valor said:
Someone else had that issue earlier -- I assume you're running at "fast" graphics with the limit framerate option on? You can turn fog on or maybe resize the window to make things run better too.

Razorskin

----- ------
K2Valor said:
Love those textures. How/where can I get them?

Also, went on a fun adventure to try and find clay and reeds in my world. I figured it would only spawn in areas I haven't been - so I took to the sea. I had two boats, a sword, pickaxe, and shovel. Nothing else. I ventured off to see in search of the items. Long story short, I found them. I made the return journey home at night in a boat out at sea. I ran into an island. My boat broke. I was forced to scavenge for trees and avoid enemies as I tried to get my precious resources home. It was tense, scary, and fun.

Here's the terrain.png, updated to include all the new stuff from today.
NYAnc.png

and some more pics
Co9MJ.jpg

pgLZz.jpg

ant_

jetsetfluken said:
I see, what is the RAM/GHz of your Macbook Pro, which version of OS X and what year is the model from?
The model is from 2009. 2GB RAM, and a 2.26 GHz processor. And it's Mac OS X 10.6.4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom