• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got the world save files transferred over to my PC. So I don't have to restart my crappy fortress.

However, I lose all of the stuff on my guy. I guess I could go into the game on my Mac, put it in a chest and then transfer it over?

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Benedict said:
I don't know if this has been posted already but one of Swedens biggest "newspapers" has done an interview with the creator.
http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/spela/article7965992.ab

Some snippets from the article:
A game (Minecraft) is sold every three seconds (€9.95)
At the time that the article was written: 402 157 people had bought the game.
(I'm not own of them... yet.)

In september he earned 16 000 000 sek ($2 428 586)

He bought himself a new hat and an digital drawing board.

Valve flew him over to Seattle and wanted to recruit him, but he turned them down to work at his own studio to finish Minecraft and start developing a new game.

That's all kinds of awesome and well deserved indeed. He's a true role model for indie developers everywhere.

CrankyJay

Banned
Sword Familiar said:
That's all kinds of awesome and well deserved indeed. He's a true role model for indie developers everywhere.

Would love to do something like this. I really want to work for myself some day.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
elrechazao said:
It's weird, they're interspersed. There'll be one every few feet, with regular stone mixed in, not a solid sheet.
Yeah, that's why it's dangerous, if you're not careful you could dig a hole into nothingness and fall into it.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
CrankyJay said:
Would love to do something like this. I really want to work for myself some day.

Me, too. I've been thinking about going into indie-dev for quite some time now and this has definitely given me some inspiration. I don't think my games would be able to attract such a huge following though, but I'd be happy if even one person said it was an ok game. For now, I don't have the necessary skills to make anything remarkable, but someday, I hope I will.

Edit:

SovanJedi said:
moneyhat.jpg

Nice one. :lol

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
so i just finished my farm.
its .... i dunno what it is
aEKey.png

Benedict

Blizzard said:
I didn't read the newspaper article, but Notch said on his Twitter that the paper is a bit "sensationalist", so I don't know what that means. :p The stuff you mention seems pretty reasonable, though.

It's a bit like The Sun, but without Page 3.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Sanskrit said:
http://data.fuskbugg.se/skogsturken/Torch%20savings.png[IMG]

Anyone else storing torches for the limited-time-torch-update?[/QUOTE]
I don't think I understand what you're doing.

randomwab

Brazil said:
I don't think I understand what you're doing.

When the Halloween update hits, all torches already placed in the world become lanterns. He's storing them so he has a fuck ton of lanterns for when the update hits.

Mike M

Nick N
Was it ever actually confirmed that they'd all become lanterns, or was that speculation?

Really hate the idea of torches burning out and needing to be relit... Hopefully lanterns aren't too resource intensive.

Belfast

elrechazao said:
Digging horizontally now. Just found 16 diamonds! :D

If you're that deep, it could still be bedrock. I use Painterly, so it doesn't look like that for me (almost looks like a weird, brownish brain-like material), but I believe bedrock can occupy any of the final five strata at the bottom of the world. If you're on the top-most layer of that (say on top of the fifth strata), then you may only find it once in awhile.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Brazil said:
From Notch's Twitter.

So no one will have to reroll their worlds to have biomes.

Wow. I'm VERY surprised biomes won't require new worlds. Time to start playing again :D I had been waiting, because I didn't want to lose any progress I made by needing to reroll.

If biomes don't require re-rolls, it's possible that no future upgrades will need new worlds, either. Players will just need to explore new chunks.

Maybe I'll only explore in like... one direction. North, or something. So then in coming months, when more crazy stuff is implemented (NPC villages!), I won't have to travel miles to see it. The chunks to my South or East won't be generated yet.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
randomwab said:
When the Halloween update hits, all torches already placed in the world become lanterns. He's storing them so he has a fuck ton of lanterns for when the update hits.
I didn't know torches would become lanterns. I thought they would just expire.

That's good to know.

Sanskrit

randomwab said:

Fuckin' A

Pinko Marx said:
Thats cheating bro. I hope lanterns aren't reusable, just to screw you over >:U

Cheating? Im just being smart >:O Notch said that every torch in one's world will be transformed into lanterns. And I will have a lot of them.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Pinko Marx said:
I just hope that don't use iron, which I'm betting they will.

It wont be too bad if that 1 piece of iron makes 4 lanterns or he ups it to 6 or 8.

Edit: If he makes lanterns as easy as torches to make then torches will become obsolete and rarely if ever made.

Pulka

I am dumb, I found a cave with loads of coal, gold and iron, and then my pickaxe breaks.
ThenI can't find my fucking way out.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Mike M said:
Was it ever actually confirmed that they'd all become lanterns, or was that speculation?

I'm pretty sure that it's all speculation.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
ZealousD said:
I'm pretty sure that it's all speculation.

It's confirmed.

alek214 @notch on account of the 700 torch threads on the forum, when Halloween update comes will you replace all preexisting torches with lanterns?
5 Oct
in reply to @alek214
@notch
Markus Persson
@alek214 yes.

Sanskrit

HappyBivouac said:
You plebe. Embrace change!

I myself will be starting a completely fresh new world.

Change? I've had too much trouble obtaining a world I really like. I'm not done with my current one by a long shot. Therefore, I am stacking up torches and planning my next building.

Mike M

Nick N
Metalic Sand said:
Edit: If he makes lanterns as easy as torches to make then torches will become obsolete and rarely if ever made.
Wouldn't mind seeing torches repurposed to being a portable light source that just illuminates your immediate surroundings while equipped/can be thrown to illuminate a darkened hallway.

I'd be pissed if iron is required for lanterns. Going deep enough to get iron with only torches that may have burned out by the time I'm trying to get back? No thanks.

Haunted

elrechazao said:
It's weird, they're interspersed. There'll be one every few feet, with regular stone mixed in, not a solid sheet.
Bedrock is spawned on the bottom 5 layers of the gameworld. So it's normal to find a few sparse blocks slightly above the bottom. Obsidian is dark with a purple hue.

WanderingWind said:
Do you think it's possible for "paint" to be added to the game? For interior decorating purposes and such?
There's coloured cloth/wool in the SMP (at least I think there was at one time), so it'll probably be included when you make and dye these blocks. Just applying paint to existing blocks would hide the textures, making the different materials obsolete.

Sanskrit said:
Cheating? Im just being smart >:O Notch said that every torch in one's world will be transformed into lanterns. And I will have a lot of them.
And then you'll have to break them to pick them up and realise they're not reusable. :eek:

Rubius

Not me, since I dont play alot. But here a bit of news.

"You won't need to generate a new world. But biomes will require travel to new areas."

And when you see this video, you have ALOT to see in your own world who is up to 10 time the size of the earth.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Haunted said:
There's coloured cloth/wool in the SMP (at least I think there was at one time), so it'll probably be included when you make and dye these blocks. Just applying paint to existing blocks would hide the textures, making the different materials obsolete.

I don't think it'd make anything obsolete. Just change their colors. You could still have the underlying texture.

Haunted

BooJoh said:
Personally this has me a little concerned:

http://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/27020001291
oooh

Hell Torches. Badass.

Rubius said:
Its already going for implantation. Using Dye to color Cloths and other blocks.
http://www.toodledo.com/views/public.php?id=td4b49fbf9c05a0
Dye
Mix water and different ingredients to make dye. Apply dye to cloth to color it, or to signs to write text.
Exactly what I've been saying. :) No mention of other blocks, just cloth (and signs).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom