• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Locke562

Jasoco said:
Build with dirt. Cover with glass, or whatever, then remove dirt. Make sure it's completely airtight first.

Build it with wood. Cover with glass, and then burn all the wood. So much easier.

Blizzard

Banned
Locke562 said:
Build it with wood. Cover with glass, and then burn all the wood. So much easier.
As long as you don't mind using 500 trees you could have used for minecart tracks or torches or planks instead. :p

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Jasoco said:
Build with dirt. Cover with glass, or whatever, then remove dirt. Make sure it's completely airtight first.
I don't really get how this works. I can't really picture a way where you would do it without having to brave the water at some point, and if you have to do that at some point anyway I don't know why you would bother making a layer of something other than glass first.

Ferrio

Banned
Here's my friends dwarven stronghold on our multiplayer server. It just weaves in and out of these mountains. It's pretty damn cool. Just when I think it's done, there's another path going some where up and around the mountains.

fortress.jpg

fortress2.jpg

fortress3.jpg

fortress4.jpg

fortress5.jpg

fortress6.jpg

Jasoco

Banned
Monroeski said:
I don't really get how this works. I can't really picture a way where you would do it without having to brave the water at some point, and if you have to do that at some point anyway I don't know why you would bother making a layer of something other than glass first.
The dirt displaces the water. Then covering it with glass displaces water. Then you end up with an empty space inside the glass filled with dirt. Remove the dirt because all the water will be gone.

There is no other method. Build your tunnel using solid dirt where you want the path to go, then cover it with glass. Then remove the dirt by digging down safely into it and digging away.

And yes, you will have to get wet in order to build a tunnel through water.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Jasoco said:
The dirt displaces the water. Then covering it with glass displaces water. Then you end up with an empty space inside the glass filled with dirt. Remove the dirt because all the water will be gone.

There is no other method. Build your tunnel using solid dirt where you want the path to go, then cover it with glass. Then remove the dirt by digging down safely into it and digging away.

And yes, you will have to get wet in order to build a tunnel through water.
Oh wait, I think I get it now. I was thinking before that building the tunnel with dirt meant that you build it hollow like an empty 3x3 space, then dirt, then glass, but what you actually do is make the ultimately "hollow" area with the dirt and put glass around it. I feel like a moron now.

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah. Just place all dirt where you will want space. You could use sand if you need to too as long as you only place it where there's already floor. Either way, your dirt and sand will be returned to you when it's all said and done.

I decided I'm going to wait for the update before I really get into building. I've ventured too far in my current world to want to venture even further to find new stuff. So I'll reap the benefits of the new version when it comes out. Then I will build my masterpiece. Just too bad I can't transfer all the dirt, stone, sand, glass, resources I dug up to the new world.

Sblargh

Banned
Why are we not freaking out about torches with limited time, isn't this going to fuck us a lot? All my game plan (dig motherfucker, go down) is based on obssessingly placing torches everywhere.

Haunted

Sblargh said:
Why are we not freaking out about torches with limited time, isn't this going to fuck us a lot? All my game plan (dig motherfucker, go down) is based on obssessingly placing torches everywhere.
Because the Halloween update will add lanterns. Which burn forever, like torches do now.

Brashnir

Haunted said:
Because the Halloween update will add lanterns. Which burn forever, like torches do now.

which, depending on how they're made, could still be game-breakingly terrible.

I guess we'll find out in 2 weeks.

Haunted

Brashnir said:
which, depending on how they're made, could still be game-breakingly terrible.

I guess we'll find out in 2 weeks.
Absolutely. Requiring a hell material seems pretty alarming already. :eek:

Aaron

I wish there were elephants or some other huge but peaceful animal in this game. It would add a lot to the sense of scale for me. Maybe giraffes eating the tops of trees.

Brashnir

Haunted said:
Absolutely. Requiring a hell material seems pretty alarming already. :eek:

It's funny. When I first started the game, one of my first thoughts was "why don't the torches go out after a while?"

And then I played the game for a few hours and it became abundantly clear. There's a line where realism and fun intersect, and I'm afraid this one may be crossing that line, though I'm willing to give it a shot.

Ferrio

Banned
You people still don't know how long torches are lit, could be a week games time we don't know. They're so plentiful it doesn't matter.

You make huge castles, houses etc.. but when it comes to making a damn lantern everyone seems to act like it'll be some huge undertaking that'll be impossible.

Haunted

Ferrio said:
You people still don't know how long torches are lit, could be a week games time we don't know. They're so plentiful it doesn't matter.

You make huge castles, houses etc.. but when it comes to making a damn lantern everyone seems to act like it'll be some huge undertaking that'll be impossible.
fucking lanterns how do they work

itxaka

Defeatist
How the fuckdo you make a water elevator?

I already got the down elevator with a hole + water at the end but I cant make the water elevator.

Also, Is there any way of having a better visibility while underwater? I'm trying to do something on water but when I start putting the block and the floor I can't see anything :lol

Belfast

itxaka said:

I already got the down elevator with a hole + water at the end but I cant make the water elevator.

Also, Is there any way of having a better visibility while underwater? I'm trying to do something on water but when I start putting the block and the floor I can't see anything :lol

Um, you swim upstream.

This is my current project, the beginnings of my new tiered mega city. I have 2 tiers clearly defined right now, with a third being worked on and a 4th in planning. Each tier has a different aspect, the lowest tier of wood being the poor quarter, the next one being the merchant quarter, the third will be my noble quarter and so on.

A view from the docks
zx759l.jpg

A view from night
2mct98k.jpg

Ferrio

Banned
SpinningFrog said:
This is my current project, the beginnings of my new tiered mega city. I have 2 tiers clearly defined right now, with a third being worked on and a 4th in planning. Each tier has a different aspect, the lowest tier of wood being the poor quarter, the next one being the merchant quarter, the third will be my noble quarter and so on.

You're making Midgar?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
gaf should get together on a themed server, i think that'd be cool.

gaf builds medival city, gaf builds dwarves mountain cities, human fortresses, elfen treevillages, etc.

EL Beefo

itxaka said:

Just dig a straight hole and put a water block at the opening on top. Hop in at the bottom and swim up. Problem is, swimming takes a long time so use a boat for ultra fast elevator action!

Tarin02543

I've bought alpha last week but I still find myself playing the classic version more. I find the creative aspect of the game the best there is and the simpler it is the better IMHO.

Anyone else feel like this?

rObit

Banned
Tarin02543 said:
I've bought alpha last week but I still find myself playing the classic version more. I find the creative aspect of the game the best there is and the simpler it is the better IMHO.

Not I sir. Just picked up the alpha this evening and have spent several hours on it. I enjoy my creations far more when there's some effort involved, rather than in the classic mode where everything is just given to you. Mining is also quite fun when you find some of the more rare resources.

vv - True enough. Some of the buildings I've seen in this thread in my brief time skimming it would have taken countless hours even without having to gather the resources. Different strokes, I suppose.

Brashnir

Delightful Oonsk said:
Not I sir. Just picked up the alpha this evening and have spent several hours on it. I enjoy my creations far more when there's some effort involved, rather than in the classic mode where everything is just given to you. Mining is also quite fun when you find some of the more rare resources.

Well, to be fair, there's plenty of effort in creating things even without having to gather all the materials yourself.

I do agree with you though, in that I get much more satisfaction from earning all the materials for my buildings as I go. Having limited building materials also inspires me to sometimes get creative with things and design things in ways I may not have otherwise.

edit - just put the finishing touches on a lighthouse.

ztyrll.jpg

2m3oec7.jpg

9hhzdg.jpg

deleted

I'm thinking about jumping in on Minecraft, I just have a few questions left:
  • Is this a game where I can play for about an hour and come back a few days later and play on or is it required to play hours and hours at a time to really appreciate it?
  • Does it run on a netbook?
  • Is there an easy(automated) way to transfer saves from PC to Netbook, perhaps akin to Steam-Cloud (guess not)?
  • I remember that there where negotiations between Valve and the Minecraft creator about getting it on steam. Did anything came from that? I wanted to sit out on the game until it is on steam, because I can see myself sinking many hours into it and my gaming time is limited... Wanted to finish some other games before I start with this. Also it would look great in my Steam catalog ^^

Brashnir

xyla said:
I'm thinking about jumping in on Minecraft, I just have a few questions left:
  • Is this a game where I can play for about an hour and come back a few days later and play on or is it required to play hours and hours at a time to really appreciate it?
  • Does it run on a netbook?
  • Is there an easy(automated) way to transfer saves from PC to Netbook, perhaps akin to Steam-Cloud (guess not)?
  • I remember that there where negotiations between Valve and the Minecraft creator about getting it on steam. Did anything came from that? I wanted to sit out on the game until it is on steam, because I can see myself sinking many hours into it and my gaming time is limited... Wanted to finish some other games before I start with this. Also it would look great in my Steam catalog ^^

1) Sure. While it's easy to spend hours upon hours playing ("Just one more row and then I'm done, for real this time...") it's not necessary. All the time you spend playing, you're making progress (the occasional ill-timed death aside) so it doesn't need to be all at once.

2) Maybe? It runs on my laptop, which is near netbook in capabilities. I have to turn the draw distance down most of the time, and use the basic graphics mode, but it's quite playable.

3) There are some third party apps that ease the transfer of saves, but nothing as easy as Steam Cloud.

4) I have no idea.

fresquito

Tarin02543 said:

One of the things about creating things, for me aty least, it's not only that you have to gather the materials, but also that you remember the proccess of changing the world. So to say: I created a big tower AFTER mining my house's underground. Or I smelted a lot of sand, after creating this big water channel.

It's all related and it all tells about how my direct action has changed the world. So, the impact is even bigger.

Sblargh

Banned
I would feel lost without the "adventure" aspect of the game.
I mean, I didn't even tried to build anything, right now, 100% of the fun is just "oh, shit, I hear water, there is a cave nearby".

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Sblargh said:
I would feel lost without the "adventure" aspect of the game.
I mean, I didn't even tried to build anything, right now, 100% of the fun is just "oh, shit, I hear water, there is a cave nearby".
For me it's more like
*walk**walk*walk*
*twig breaks*
"what was that =O"
"probably my mind going insane again"
"ssssssssss"
"WAIT WHAT. NOOOOOOOO-
BOOM

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
So, update on my adventures (if anyone cares):

I've been diggin' around for quite some time now and the cave I found stretches to god know where. I found a way where the cave continued upwards for a while only to end up into a very deep shaft downwards again. I decided to make a new base camp there so I went back to get some materials. After gathering the materials and getting back to working on my new camp, I started hearing some noises again... "omg, creepers? No, it's something else? It's... sheep!". Realizing I'm near ground level I started to dig upwards again and lo and behold:

ItsBEAUTIFUL.jpg

The snow passing through the small opening was so beautiful. I think I'll celebrate this by building a tower. :D

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Ferrio said:
Here's my friends dwarven stronghold on our multiplayer server. It just weaves in and out of these mountains. It's pretty damn cool. Just when I think it's done, there's another path going some where up and around the mountains.

I'm actually really impressed by this. It seems very naturalistic, and truly does feel "dwarf-like." Your bud did a great job of taking to the environment and justing adding to it/tweaking it in order to mold it into a living space.

I love the little balconies that creep out. It's clear he was digging blind inside, breached the surface, and build a little balcony there. That is the sort of thing I don't think to do. I usually just wall it back up, or leave the hole there, since the breach was unintentional.

I also love the sky-bridge. Lots of people have made sky-bridges from the top of one mountain over to another, but it is a lot more evocative to see it built halfway down. From one cliff-face over into another. Makes it feel more dwarf-like.

I feel I am a somewhat talented Minecraft creator, but I struggle with actually being flexible about how I use my environment. I think a lot of us do, as evidenced by people clearing GIANTIC tracts of land for our projects. One of my goals for my next (FINAL!) world I'll re-roll when the update drops is going to be to keep it more free-form, like these screenshots.

Any interior shots?

Philthy

Brashnir said:
It's funny. When I first started the game, one of my first thoughts was "why don't the torches go out after a while?"

And then I played the game for a few hours and it became abundantly clear. There's a line where realism and fun intersect, and I'm afraid this one may be crossing that line, though I'm willing to give it a shot.

I was a bit upset about this when I first heard it, now I'm cautiously optimistic. It might be annoying in single player, but I think on multi-player servers you could form hell raids to go gather materials and such. It'll add a LOT to the game when you make simple goals for people to work together that go beyond building stone penis #85.

Ferrio

Banned
GDJustin said:
Any interior shots?

Not really much of an interior I could find, who knows I might of missed some passages. It's alot bigger than the screenshots show (least it seemed that way). Felt escher like going up staircases going through a tunnel looking down and going "Okay how the hell do I get there?".

Vinci

Danish
SpinningFrog said:

I was building something exactly like this in terms of tier concepts and trying to fashion a real society. But then I got bored and stopped working on that world. Damn my lack of focus - yours looks awesome.

iam220

Hey guys, I want to jump into minecraft but I do not want to create a paypal account just to purchase it. Would anybody be willing to buy it for me and in return I'll gift you a game on steam of equal or slightly greater value. Thanks.

I'd love to play Minecraft on OSX instead of booting into Windows 7, but I can't seem to figure out how to stop it from randomly stuttering for any number of seconds. I can be standing still without loading in any chunks and suddenly the game will drop to single digit framerates for either just a moment or around 10-20 seconds before recovering. I can't get it to happen consistently or figure out if any processes are the culprit.

Game runs perfectly fine outside of the annoying hiccup. I'm playing on an 15" 2.2ghz '07 Macbook Pro.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
kirbutashi said:
I'd love to play Minecraft on OSX instead of booting into Windows 7, but I can't seem to figure out how to stop it from randomly stuttering for any number of seconds. I can be standing still without loading in any chunks and suddenly the game will drop to single digit framerates for either just a moment or around 10-20 seconds before recovering.

Game runs perfectly fine outside of the annoying hiccup. I'm playing on an 15" 2.2ghz '07 Macbook Pro.

Do you have limit framerate on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom