• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
iam220 said:
Hey guys, I want to jump into minecraft but I do not want to create a paypal account just to purchase it. Would anybody be willing to buy it for me and in return I'll gift you a game on steam of equal or slightly greater value. Thanks.
Can't you just put your CC info in?

iam220

balladofwindfishes said:
Can't you just put your CC info in?

You can do that with paypal w/o having an account?

edit: I keep getting a "Sorry — your last action could not be completed" error, I'll try again later I guess.

Thanks for the clarification.

edit2: BOUGHT! :)

I don't think I get this game. Can someone just...explain one quick thing to me?

What do I do after I've built a house and no monsters can hurt me? I feel like I've effectively beaten the game. I'm just not sure what to do now.

autobzooty said:
I don't think I get this game. Can someone just...explain one quick thing to me?

What do I do after I've built a house and no monsters can hurt me? I feel like I've effectively beaten the game. I'm just not sure what to do now.
Whatever the hell you can possibly think of. Dig a basement 30 floors below your house. Plant a garden of wheat. Build a boat and search the coastline as far as you can. Build a bigger better more awesome house. Etc.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
autobzooty said:

Live out your dreams.

(mine, build, create)

Edit: I've spent most of my hours on multiplayer servers, So after that other Minecraft thread I decided to give single player a go.

Big fucking mistake. That video of "him" scared me so much I keep screaming at anything.

I was foolish and took my time smoothing out an area.. not leaving time for a nice shelter.. so now I'm spending the night in a basically 4x4 cell. with no windows (just destroying a block and putting it back every minute or so. I'm scared gaf. the sounds I'm hearing outside.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
autobzooty said:

If you're searching for game made goals then this game probably isn't for you. You have to make your own goals and stick to them. If you DO feel like you want to give this game a chance however, then go explore the underworld, dig deeper, find new materials and for the love of all that's holy; BUILD damn you! Build like you've never built before! Then show us all your creations.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
autobzooty said:

You obviously haven't found a treasure room with spawners yet.

Find a cliff-face and start digging. Follow the sounds of moving water and creature noises.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
autobzooty said:

1) Build a lighthouse with a glass dome on top. Fill dome with lava.

2) Build a giant library and the papyrus farm you will need to support it: http://minecraftcreations.com/?p=11

3) Build a sundial: http://www.google.com/images?q=minecraft+sundial

4) Build a massive greenhouse for safely growing wheat, trees, and papyrus (this is my personal project currently).

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
ahoyhoy said:

Find a cliff-face and start digging. Follow the sounds of moving water and creature noises.

I have found more ore than I know what to do with. I've only found one spawner. I really think my world is just devoid of the fucking things :lol

autobzooty said:

Here are some goals you can try.

(1) Dig and find the dungeons. They exist, and have a mossy-cobblestone wall, a material you will not find anywhere else. Destroy the spawncage and claim its treasures.

(2) Same as above but instead of destroying the spawncage, manipulate it into a slaughter-engine that will deliver you mass-produced corpses for loot.

(3) Build a fucking volcano.

(4) Build bridges across the continents and find the most outstanding and unfeasable stable terrain.

(5) Dig a hole in the bottom of the world, and manipulate monsters to their doom.

(6) Make a rollercoaster.

(7) Build an observation outpost on the highest mountain and take in the glory of your world.

(8) Set fire to a whole forest and watch it spread across the landscape.

(9) Create an underwater glass city, that glows beneath the surface at night as your ultimate sanctuary.

(10) Find the rare creature known as the Slime. I've been playing this bastard for a month and not seen one.

There's your start.

ahoyhoy said:

This sounds more exciting. I'll give that a shot, I guess. I keep wanting to explore in this game, but I keep feeling like there's nothing to find.

I guess if I end up searching for something like that, I'll have to make a network of safehouses for nightfall. That should keep me busy for a while at least.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
autobzooty said:
This sounds more exciting. I'll give that a shot, I guess. I keep wanting to explore in this game, but I keep feeling like there's nothing to find.

I guess if I end up searching for something like that, I'll have to make a network of safehouses for nightfall. That should keep me busy for a while at least.

oh and build a 16bit computer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGkkyKZVzug

Haunted

autobzooty said:
You haven't finished your house yet.

Mama Robotnik said:
(10) Find the rare creature known as the Slime. I've been playing this bastard for a month and not seen one.
:eek:

I've got a goddamn slime zoo under my house.

kennah

Haunted said:
You haven't finished your house yet.
So damn true. Step outside it and take a look. See? Your second (or third or fourth) stories aren't built yet. And your basement is really subpar. And you don't even have a pool yet. Or a balcony. And your secondary house on a different island hasn't been started.

Haunted said:
:eek:

I've got a goddamn slime zoo under my house.

Seriously!? I've got so many tunnels on three different continents, expanded and secured at least a dozen natural caverns, and I've never ever encountered a single one! I actually started thinking they were no longer in the game!

So...how will the multiplayer work? You build up your hideout, but then all it takes is someone to come in and chop a wall out. I'm curious to how the checks and balances of this are going to work.

Blizzard

Banned
SmokingBarrelX said:
So...how will the multiplayer work? You build up your hideout, but then all it takes is someone to come in and chop a wall out. I'm curious to how the checks and balances of this are going to work.
Unless you have some sort of server mod that restricts areas, you play on a private server, or one that has good admin(s) who can at minimum ban people quickly.

Back in classic mode, I played on a server where if you could build something that would appease the obnoxious, super-strict admin, you would get builder status and could build in protected levels. If someone with builder status went in those protected areas and griefed, the damage would presumably be restored from a backup, but the person would lose their status or be banned, so very few people would presumably risk it.

WanderingWind

Welp. I found my second spawner. Be careful what you wish for. After I finally lit it up enough, I broke through a side wall and suddenly found myself in the biggest cave system I've ever seen. It's so enormous that I've had to build 5 camps inside of it.

Then, I got gangbanged by 3 zombies, 2 creepers and 4 skeletons. By time I got back to where I died at, everything had vanished into the ether.

I lost 68 iron, 8 gold, my last diamond pickaxe and a ton of morale. Sigh. I still have so many areas to explore in this one cave system. It's insane. It's going to take me a while to get over losing all that iron though. I may not even play again until the Halloween update.

Great game, but sometimes....sometimes it can go fuck itself.

Quixzlizx

WanderingWind said:
Welp. I found my second spawner. Be careful what you wish for. After I finally lit it up enough, I broke through a side wall and suddenly found myself in the biggest cave system I've ever seen. It's so enormous that I've had to build 5 camps inside of it.

Then, I got gangbanged by 3 zombies, 2 creepers and 4 skeletons. By time I got back to where I died at, everything had vanished into the ether.

I lost 68 iron, 8 gold, my last diamond pickaxe and a ton of morale. Sigh. I still have so many areas to explore in this one cave system. It's insane. It's going to take me a while to get over losing all that iron though. I may not even play again until the Halloween update.

Great game, but sometimes....sometimes it can go fuck itself.

You probably should have built a chest down there once you reached 50 iron or so :p

WanderingWind

Quixzlizx said:
You probably should have built a chest down there once you reached 50 iron or so :p

The cave is so big that I had to use 3 stacks of torches, and used my reserve wood to make another stack. I was trying to find a way out when I found, what was apparently the monster Wal-Mart. You know that picture last page with all those ores and what not? Picture that, but with monsters. Yeah. Fuckers.

Everytime I find a small deposit of any type of ore I always mine it and take it back to the closest camp. Every so often I take everything I've smelted and take it to the community ore chest at my main base. I'm in a massive cave system, and my systems working so far. Oh and I took the only two diamonds I've found so far and turned them into a sword.

Blizzard

Banned
Alts said:
There's also Manic Miner, which a number of Minecraft players threatened to defect to when two weeks went by without an update.
To be fair, by the time Halloween comes around, if the update releases on time, it will have been like 38 days without an update. Plus, the secret Fridays are discontinued until further notice as far as I know, so who knows if there will be more features soon after that. We can hope!

"We already gave you our money, but if you don't appease us then we will stop playing and thus using your server resources to log in and download updates!"

Worst threat ever.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
I was thinking about things Minecraft could really use and one i kept thinking of is a stats page. Would like to keep track how many Iron/diamond pickaxes/shovels/swords ect.. Ive broken or even how many various types of blocks ive mined.

How much times youve died, How much hearts youve lost. Stats!

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Metalic Sand said:
I was thinking about things Minecraft could really use and one i kept thinking of is a stats page. Would like to keep track how many Iron/diamond pickaxes/shovels/swords ect.. Ive broken or even how many various types of blocks ive mined.

How much times youve died, How much hearts youve lost. Stats!

i would support this idea if it weren't for people who use stats to act like dicks just to prove their superiority.

I just spent the night building a water elevator down to my mine shaft. Totally worth the time it took, and it is very cool. My next project is to make my base more baselike and create a wheat farm on top. All the while exploring the massive cave system I have underneath mah feets.

p.s. are y'all taking screenshots using printscreen and then mspainting it up? Or is there something else?

Notch is probably regretting ever doing Friday updates. :lol

I mean, 38 days without an update? Come on, this game is updated at TF2 levels. Rarely does a game get updated so quickly and even more rarely do we even get to play an alpha game. As so many people in Minecraft sites like to call people on, I'm not white knighting either. It just boggles me how entitled some people feel.

Blizzard

Banned
SmokingBarrelX said:
I just spent the night building a water elevator down to my mine shaft. Totally worth the time it took, and it is very cool. My next project is to make my base more baselike and create a wheat farm on top. All the while exploring the massive cave system I have underneath mah feets.

p.s. are y'all taking screenshots using printscreen and then mspainting it up? Or is there something else?
Try Fraps. Even the free version will let you screenshot stuff and save it as BMP, and then you can convert to JPG.

VGChampion said:
Notch is probably regretting ever doing Friday updates. :lol

I mean, 38 days without an update? Come on, this game is updated at TF2 levels. Rarely does a game get updated so quickly and even more rarely do we even get to play an alpha game. As so many people in Minecraft sites like to call people on, I'm not white knighting either. It just boggles me how entitled some people feel.

Exactly. Reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk

Skip to 2:00

Brashnir

BobJustBob said:
"We already gave you our money, but if you don't appease us then we will stop playing and thus using your server resources to log in and download updates!"

Worst threat ever.

This game has grown entirely on the backs of those who love it and have evangelized it to their friends. Losing that costs way more than the bandwidth costs associated with them.

Mindsets like yours are what leads to Bobby Kotick syndrome.

MinecraftCreeperPropaganda.png

And a bonus 'Creepler', the implications of such a creature are truly terrifying.
Creepler.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom