• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

BooJoh

HappyBivouac said:
There is no point in doing minecraft fanart if you're not going to stick to the original blocky forms. Please redo.
I can't say I agree. While I'm not too fond of most non-blocky creeper fanarts I've seen, I think that one manages to capture a lot of the spirit of the monster while applying a different style.

r1chard

Just found another dungeon (so many games with none, now I have four in one game!) and found this in one of the treasure chests... what is it??

unknown%20object.png

Edit: wait, I think it might be a record?

Edit edit: Heh, beaten, thanks Brashnir :)

Went ahead and bit the bullet.

I love this game. The past 4 hours just... Disappeared.

I have a question, though. Is there a way to have the music continually play? When the soundtrack does kick in, it's great. I'd just like to hear it more often.

Creepers are complete and total assholes.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
VGChampion said:
Notch is probably regretting ever doing Friday updates. :lol

I mean, 38 days without an update? Come on, this game is updated at TF2 levels. Rarely does a game get updated so quickly and even more rarely do we even get to play an alpha game. As so many people in Minecraft sites like to call people on, I'm not white knighting either. It just boggles me how entitled some people feel.

I think the people who played Minecraft before it got big are upset that it's popularity explosion resulted in less updates instead of more. Perhaps Notch is going to switch to a handful of "big" updates throughout the year from now on, but I think the idea of weekly small updates is still a better idea.

Bread

Banned
I decided to leave my comfort zone (my castle :D) and I found my first creeper spawn, then got killed by a damn creeper as I tried to escape :(

Bread said:
I decided to leave my comfort zone (my castle :D) and I found my first creeper spawn, then got killed by a damn creeper as I tried to escape :(

Creeper spawn? Are you sure it wasn't some other spawner room that happened to have creepers in it? As far as I know, creeper spawns don't get generated in the game.

Can you go back and take a screenshot?

Bread

Banned
HappyBivouac said:
Creeper spawn? Are you sure it wasn't some other spawner room that happened to have creepers in it? As far as I know, creeper spawns don't get generated in the game.

Can you go back and take a screenshot?
it was a spider spawn, sorry creepers were on my mind :lol

ijed

ahoyhoy said:
I think the people who played Minecraft before it got big are upset that it's popularity explosion resulted in less updates instead of more. Perhaps Notch is going to switch to a handful of "big" updates throughout the year from now on, but I think the idea of weekly small updates is still a better idea.

Anyone ever consider the idea that weekly updates to an alpha are there to test things being added? It's not meant to be an incentive to buy. If Notch is planning to implement something huge like Biomes, Hell dimension, fish etc. you'd wouldn't expect him to release it until it's in at least some form of state where it's ready to be tested - Also with the huge amount of alpha "testers" he now has could you imagine the rage it would induce if it broke anyone's precious maps? Unfortunately now he can't afford to release anything that may break people's saves - The amount of qq'ing would be far greater then those crying about not getting their weekly updates.

Brashnir

Mr_Guillotine said:
okay just bought the game, is there a certain server i should be playing in?

I think TouchMyBox runs the GAF multiplayer server, details are in the online forum. Please note though, that the multiplayer game doesn't really work correctly in a lot of respects, so I'd recommend playing some single player unless you're only buying it for the "build stuff and show it off" aspect.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ijed said:
Anyone ever consider the idea that weekly updates to an alpha are there to test things being added? It's not meant to be an incentive to buy. If Notch is planning to implement something huge like Biomes, Hell dimension, fish etc. you'd wouldn't expect him to release it until it's in at least some form of state where it's ready to be tested - Also with the huge amount of alpha "testers" he now has could you imagine the rage it would induce if it broke anyone's precious maps? Unfortunately now he can't afford to release anything that may break people's saves - The amount of qq'ing would be far greater then those crying about not getting their weekly updates.
the way minecraft works, it'd take some deal of effort to break a save.
maps are so heavy because they're basically just layered bitmaps of every blocks location.

ahoyhoy said:
If he ever decides to charge for updates - I'm totally out and he can suck it. Hopefully that day wont come! :D

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Pandaman said:
the way minecraft works, it'd take some deal of effort to break a save.
maps are so heavy because they're basically just layered bitmaps of every blocks location.

Man I kinda wish he'd make it open source so I could poke around and look and see how he programmed it. He even renamed his Java classes before compiling.

Layered bitmaps just seems like the wrong approach because of how bloated the maps end up becoming. An area as small as the Colossus takes about 250kb.

JoeyX

Neo Member
iirc he is making the game, releasing it, updating it to where he wants to and as soon as he is done with it all he is releasing the source.

Which will be awesome.

kottila

Darknessbear said:
If he ever decides to charge for updates - I'm totally out and he can suck it. Hopefully that day wont come! :D

The site says that you get all updates for free if you've bought the game. why would that change?

bjork

It's a day off. After I walk to the mailbox and then have a shower and some food, I'm buying this and starting. After watching some videos yesterday, I simply must play this.

Metal B

There are portals, which send you into a hell dimension. If you enter one portal to hell and a other out, you can be send many miles away from home.

ijed

Eaten By A Grue said:
Wat, that is craziness. Have people been asking for that?

People have been asking for a way to fast travel.
People have been asking for new monsters.
People have been asking for new environments to explore.

Think he's just doing his own thing with this though ... and good on him. :D

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
There are six new block types (five of them have unique abilities), one new monster, a new dimension, and a couple of bug fixes.

Sounds like the new dimension will literally add a new dimension to the gameplay. Does traveling to the hell dimension mean that fast travel comes with a risk?

Vlad

Sword Familiar said:
Sounds like the new dimension will literally add a new dimension to the gameplay. Does traveling to the hell dimension mean that fast travel comes with a risk?

Well, I imagine that it's not called Hell for nothing.

The way I figure it, it's dangerous enough just to go outside at night. I imagine that Hell is going to be rather rough going.

bjork

Well, I made a little house. A skeleton came in and shot me to death, but I couldn't see him because I have no torches. So I respawned, went in the house to just punch him to death, and a green guy blew us both us. Respawned again, and now I'm working on just making a room, but I still don't have torches so it's hard to see in the dark. Gonna read up a little bit while I eat, then I can see this consuming most of my day.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Vlad said:
Well, I imagine that it's not called Hell for nothing.

The way I figure it, it's dangerous enough just to go outside at night. I imagine that Hell is going to be rather rough going.

I thought as much as well. It should be interesting either way.

Leunam said:
What about going to hell when it's night time?

I reckon all of hell is underground, so it won't matter?

nataku

That update sounds awesome. Hope it actually works out and doesn't get delayed at all.

I logged back in to my world and it seems the stuck problems I was having was fixed based on what little running around I did. I'm gonna have to start playing this again.

BlueWord

Game is addictive as hell, I think I wasted four hours playing yesterday. I wish that there was a way to set up a warp system or develop a map; something. Most of the beauty of the game lies in its lack of hand-holding, forcing the player to develop these solutions themselves, but I'd appreciate at least having the option for a game clock.

Any idea what the update later this month is suppose to introduce?

Actually, I just saw the post on his blog. Looks like those things I mentioned are being addressed. :D

Ferrio

Banned
Sword Familiar said:

Ya, taking the whole concept from the Wheel of Time series.

bjork

If you keep digging down, what happens? I'm making a winding tunnel, but I haven't seen any caves yet. Does it just stop, or do you reach a core of some sort?

bjork said:
If you keep digging down, what happens? I'm making a winding tunnel, but I haven't seen any caves yet. Does it just stop, or do you reach a core of some sort?

There's about 5 layers of bedrock 60 blocks deep, but you can't mine past the bedrock - also, be careful as sometimes there's holes in the bedrock that you can fall through and lose all your stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom