• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
bjork said:
If you keep digging down, what happens? I'm making a winding tunnel, but I haven't seen any caves yet. Does it just stop, or do you reach a core of some sort?
You ultimately hit bedrock. Really dark stone that's unbreakable.

If you're digging around bedrock and you see a blue area, don't go in there; the bedrock is there to enclose the world, but sometimes there are still glitches where it's not perfectly sealed. You can literally fall off the world and die more or less instantly, losing everyhing you were carrying.

Vinci

Danish
Monroeski said:
Minecraft - a world of a infinite possibility, where everyone just makes statues of decades old game characters. :D

Yeah, I'm not quite into doing that myself, but it's fun to see occasionally.

Camwi

Vlad said:
Well, I imagine that it's not called Hell for nothing.

The way I figure it, it's dangerous enough just to go outside at night. I imagine that Hell is going to be rather rough going.

I really hope so. I want Hell to be absolutely awful. I want it filled with monsters that can spawn in lit areas and stuff like that.

Registered, downloaded teh exe, logged in
User not premium
MUST PLAY ONLINE TO ENABLE OFFLINE

Play offline is greyed out, try again is the only button to click and it just send me back to login..

Great start so far :lol

Pulka

Johnlenham said:
Registered, downloaded teh exe, logged in
User not premium
MUST PLAY ONLINE TO ENABLE OFFLINE

Play offline is greyed out, try again is the only button to click and it just send me back to login..

Great start so far :lol
You have to pay for it, too.

Johnlenham said:
Edit:shoudl open my eyes and realize classic is the free trail type thing

There was a free weekend a while back where the authentication server was shut down, but it seems you missed it.

Anyway just plonk down a few bucks. It's more than worth it. I've gotten more hours out of this than I have gotten out of any AAA title I spent $60 on in the last 5 years. And no I'm not autistic. The biggest thing I've built is a bridge that was somewhat long.

Mama Robotnik said:
How do you buy games?

EDIT - you edited, nevermind.
Demos, general guess that I would like it and so on. Im pretty rubbish when it comes to open word stuff, I need a goal or something or I just (for example GTA) will go on a rampage, get bored and move onto a new game.
This is so far away from anything ive played before thats all :)

Ok so im only playing th free thing but dicking about mining and building a little house had me chuckling away.. might be worth a punt

Cru Jones

I am getting a little annoyed. I purchased this a month ago, played it for 30 minutes and forgot about it. I tried to login and I couldn’t, so I tried to recover my password and for some reason my email address doesn’t work when I try to retrieve my password and if I put in my user name it says an email was sent, but I never receive anything. More likely than not, it was my error in inputting my email address when I signed up (since it isn’t in their database and I am not getting the password reset email). All I have is my paypal invoice which I forwarded to the email listed on the invoice (I believe it was support@mojang.com) and then also the email that appears on the lost password page (markus@mojang.com) with no response. I sent the original email more than a week ago.

I understand that it is an indie project and customer service might not be their strong point (yet), but it is still very frustrating. I am hoping I didn’t throw away $14. Are there any other avenues that would make sense to try?

Pulka

I need some mine cart help.
The cart goes along the red line, like I want it to, but when the cart comes back I want it to go with the blue line instead of the red.
How can I do this?

4lTEx.jpg

bjork

I finally got down to the bedrock, then one patch of blue. I knew blue was bad so I avoided it, meaning I dug a spiral just for kicks, I guess. :lol

I found some red ore and somehow one of those green guys got into my tunnel, and he dropped something too. Next time I play, I'm gonna go outside and fight stuff. This is a pretty fun program.

bjork said:
I found some red ore and somehow one of those green guys got into my tunnel, and he dropped something too. Next time I play, I'm gonna go outside and fight stuff. This is a pretty fun program.

Monsters will spawn in any area not lit by torches, so make sure to always have a bunch of them with you when you go mining. By green guy, I assume you mean a creeper, rather than a slime - creepers drop gunpowder.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Hopefully one of the bug fixes in the Halloween update is fixing the bedrock holes or even making bedrock a flat surface instead of 5 blocks worth. it is terrifying digging around bedrock in its current state never knowing if youll fall into a void. Just seeing a void in front of me oddly frightens me :lol

Metalic Sand said:
Hopefully one of the bug fixes in the Halloween update is fixing the bedrock holes or even making bedrock a flat surface instead of 5 blocks worth. it is terrifying digging around bedrock in its current state never knowing if youll fall into a void. Just seeing a void in front of me oddly frightens me :lol

Wherever I see a hole in the bedrock, I just fill it with a block of glass - it's useful for telling what time of day it is while you're underground.

Pulka said:
I need some mine cart help.
The cart goes along the red line, like I want it to, but when the cart comes back I want it to go with the blue line instead of the red.
How can I do this?

4lTEx.jpg

Switch the direction of both arrows. The minecart will always follow the connected track, so you want to make it "hop" off the track that ends at the bend on the right.

Metalic Sand said:

stop digging the fuck around that shit! you should never be that low.

Metalic Sand said:
Hopefully one of the bug fixes in the Halloween update is fixing the bedrock holes or even making bedrock a flat surface instead of 5 blocks worth.

I quite like the bedrock holes, its a unique little trait of the world. I think the abyss should be full of stars though, and have a slight tugging effect like a vacuum. Easily resistable by the player, but a cool new trap for monsters.

Alternatively, if you fall through the void at the bottom of the world, the game could randomly deposit you at a random location, anywhere, any height, any depth back into the world. That could be quite interesting, and a reminder that there is no escape.

Well paid up and started off. Made tools, built a hut and hid in it :lol Decided to dig down and then fell into a cave system with lava. Realized I was out of picks so had to make more, then went off exploring.
Realized I couldn't see anything I went back to my way in and constructed an elaborate staircase back up, finding coal on the way.
Got back to the surface somehow, and started making torches, fell back itno my hole and ended up at the bottom :lol
Wen ton my merry way minign along and I hear "ssssssss"
Fuuuuckk what was that!!! Hid in a corner :lol

went back to digging and landed in another cave, spotted a zombie thing and ran away and hid!
Went back and walled him in (hope this works lol) as I went back to my staircase
"SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS" came blasting out of the surround sound speaker behind me
FUCK ME!!!!!! I jumped out of my skin and ran like fuck :lol :lol

Blizzard

Banned
Cru Jones said:
I am getting a little annoyed. I purchased this a month ago, played it for 30 minutes and forgot about it. I tried to login and I couldn’t, so I tried to recover my password and for some reason my email address doesn’t work when I try to retrieve my password and if I put in my user name it says an email was sent, but I never receive anything. More likely than not, it was my error in inputting my email address when I signed up (since it isn’t in their database and I am not getting the password reset email). All I have is my paypal invoice which I forwarded to the email listed on the invoice (I believe it was support@mojang.com) and then also the email that appears on the lost password page (markus@mojang.com) with no response. I sent the original email more than a week ago.

I understand that it is an indie project and customer service might not be their strong point (yet), but it is still very frustrating. I am hoping I didn’t throw away $14. Are there any other avenues that would make sense to try?
I'm sorry support has not gotten back to you yet. I get the feeling that he may eventually, but it really gets backed up. I was going to suggest markus@mojang, but you already tried that (I sent two emails to that address about something else with no response). Lastly, you might try Twitter, since he actually seems to respond to people on there. I get the feeling that he may soon have so many followers that he will become inaccessible there too, however.

Pulka

TheNiX said:
Switch the direction of both arrows. The minecart will always follow the connected track, so you want to make it "hop" off the track that ends at the bend on the right.
I fixed it.
Now I have an automatic minecart station.

pirata

So...if I want this game, I should probably buy if now while it's still in alpha, right?

I just don't know...I'm not 100% sure what it is, even after hearing and seeing a bunch of stuff about it. It looks something like building stuff with Legos, though, and I'm way into that. Should I try Minecraft Classic first? What's the difference between that and Alpha?

EDIT: Also, how much harddrive space does it take up? Would it run well on my laptop (it's a pretty good laptop, able to play some Source games at high settings)?

pirata said:
So...if I want this game, I should probably buy if now while it's still in alpha, right?

I just don't know...I'm not 100% sure what it is, even after hearing and seeing a bunch of stuff about it. It looks something like building stuff with Legos, though, and I'm way into that. Should I try Minecraft Classic first? What's the difference between that and Alpha?
the difference between minecraft classic and the alpha is that everything that everyone is talking about in this thread, IS NOT in the classic version

pirata said:

Minecraft Classic:
-you get a small world and infinite blocks
-you can place and destroy blocks to build stuff
-anything you build will probably get destroyed by a random griefer.

Minecraft Alpha:
-You get a huge, virtually infinite, gorgeous world that is 100% unique every time you generate a new world.
-You start with nothing and have to survive in the wilderness.
-Explore vast landscapes, oceans, mountains, and caves
-Gather resources, use those resources to craft tools and weapons. Also to build yourself a house/shelter.
-Use tools to gather better resources, craft yourself some better tools/weapons. Build a better house. Advance up this simplified "tech-tree."
-Defend against scary monsters. Hunt them once you've advanced further.
-Farm food, papyrus, even cacti.
-Discover treasure and monster encampments deep underground.
-Build a giant fortress connected to all parts of the world via a vast network of underground railroads going through caves, underwater glass tunnels, under-lava glass tunnels....
-Build an airship.
-Build a sealab.
-Blow a huge hole in the earth with tnt, turn the hole into a giant glass eco-dome with flowers, trees, waterfalls, and wildlife.
-Build a floating castle in the sky out of solid gold.
-Build a floating castle in the sky out of solid diamond.
-Etc.

eso76

You guys made me buy this game and automatically lose hundreds of hours of productivity the very instant i clicked on the 'buy now' button.

Damn, i already have so little spare time lately, why did i do this ?

Fuck it, i need to carve a damn mount rushmore with videogame characters in that mountain and...oh the possibilities. This game is fascinating.

(Woo, i'm getting 600fps ! Also had a pair of stupid 3d red/blue glasses sitting around and had to try the anaglyph 3d mode. Damn, it might be a gimmick with movies, but i had forgotten how beyond awesome 3d is in videogames. They need to find a more practical, possibly glass-free solution soon)

Ferrio

Banned
pirata said:
EDIT: Also, how much harddrive space does it take up? Would it run well on my laptop (it's a pretty good laptop, able to play some Source games at high settings)?

The game file is 333kb itself. The actual size the world takes up on your harddrive matters how much you've explored (the world is infinite). I doubt you're world would be more than 50MB. Ya you're computer should be fine running it.

(Woo, i'm getting 600fps ! Also had a pair of stupid 3d red/blue glasses sitting around and had to try the anaglyph 3d mode. Damn, it might be a gimmick with movies, but i had forgotten how beyond awesome 3d is in videogames. They need to find a more practical, possibly glass-free solution soon)

Ya people don't talk about the 3D mode enough. It's a pretty neat effect.

Blizzard

Banned
SmokingBarrelX said:
Found this on the forums today, and thought it would be good for the first post. It is a confirmed fact thread that is consistently updated with things Notch has actually said.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49256
Man, it must suck to be Notch. If he ever makes a joke on Twitter, or more likely, says he'll do something but then later forgets/doesn't have time, it's going to be on record forever. :p

By the way, if you're getting like 600 fps, try turning on the fps limiting option. Otherwise (especially if you're on a notebook) I'm guessing you might run into crashes. Alternatively, try hitting escape every so often to auto-save, or manually save often.

Ive looked at crafting lists but I must be blind so how do I make windows? im assuming its sand related?

Just had a sheep dive through my "hole" windows and the thought of a spider doing the same scares me!

Managed to further explore the cavern under my hut and dug to lava, then channeled a waterfall to it which then cooled the lava allowing me to get to new minerals! then a fucking skelington came out of no where and raped me :lol

Also considering putting it on my work computer but that might prove fatal!

Rufus

JodyAnthony said:
Is there any way to force full-screen?
Alt-Enter
edit: Didn't even think of the function keys, hm.

Johnlenham said:
Ive looked at crafting lists but I must be blind so how do I make windows? im assuming its sand related?
Smelt sand to get glass blocks. You can't craft windows like you can craft doors, just glass blocks. I think some texture packs make it look like they're windows by adding what look like wooden frames, but that's about it. You wouldn't want those for bigger glass structure anyway.

iamcenok

Bought this game because of you gaffers and it is much much fun, but are any mac users having this issue?

I'm forced to play through browser because the download file never wants to boot.
It opened once and that was it. :/

elseanio

OK, so I knew nothing about this game until a friend recommended it and showed me a tutorial on YouTube.

Decided to jump in and started a multiplayer world. We spent the best part of 2 days making tunnels :lol

I'm a bit disappointed the multiplayer has a lot of changes from single player. No element of danger took so much of the game away. But still, I've had a lot of fun making passage ways, lining out the rout with touches and signs, and just exploring. Oh, and of course, making a shitty house!

I absolutely can't wait for this game to get more and more updates. Really glad I purchased it.

I think I'm going to reroll fresh for the update. I am enjoying my world, but I think there is a lot more refinery I could have when going through my first night and beyond.

FlyinJ said:
Toss some sand in a furnace and it makes glass.
Ah thanks, I was trying to do it with the work bench! first time I get to use my furnace!
Also I was mining the red ore which took firigin ages and it didn't give me anything? mined 5-6 of em too :/

Johnlenham said:
Ah thanks, I was trying to do it with the work bench! first time I get to use my furnace!
Also I was mining the red ore which took firigin ages and it didn't give me anything? mined 5-6 of em too :/

Were you using an iron pickaxe? The really tough materials won't mine property unless you use a weapon crafted of iron or diamond.

The REALLY tough final material exclusively needs a diamond pickaxe.

Oh, and please god don't build a gold pickaxe, its as weak as wood and a massive waste of a rare material.

Johnlenham said:

Gotta use an iron or diamond pickaxe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom