• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh it was made from pebbles or whatever the grade 2 version is, Ive found coal/red ore type stuff and also stuff that looks like what id call clay but no iron or anything of the like yet!

Johnlenham said:
Ahh it was made from pebbles or whatever the grade 2 version is, Ive found coal/red ore type stuff and also stuff that looks like what id call clay but no iron or anything of the like yet!

Iron will pop up, it is usually visible in walls of natural caverns.

Here's my early-game approach - equip yourself with a crapload of torches and stone axes, and dig a tunnel diagonal-down into the ground. You'll probably burst into a dark natural cavern that may or may not be populated with hell's escapees. As soon as you can light up every passage in the cavern, the monsters will no longer be able to spawn there, and you will have secured it. Then look at the walls, find the iron and dig it out.

The worst thing that could happen is you descend into a dungeon and are eaten alive by the endless hoardes of hateful undead emerging from its spawncage. The odds are very much against this though.

At least that's how I'd do it. Your strategy will depend on how you like to play the game.

(Also, if you have some buckets too, you might be able to take some lava back to the surface to create a nasty surprise around your shelter for any approaching enemies.)

Ferrio

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
Iron will pop up, it is usually visible in walls of natural caverns.

Here's my early-game approach - equip yourself with a crapload of torches and stone axes, and dig a tunnel diagonal-down into the ground. You'll probably burst into a dark natural cavern that may or may not be populated with hell's escapees. As soon as you can light up every passage in the cavern, the monsters will no longer be able to spawn there, and you will have secured it. Then look at the walls, find the iron and dig it out.

That or you can just explore topside, there's tons of natural openings into caves. Much better chance of finding a cave than just digging straight down.

Dragmire

rezuth said:
Wow, this game really gets the fans on my Mac to spin :lol
Is that a euphemism for being turned on?

set the framerate limit to "on" otherwise it'll fry your copmputer or something.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Have a weird bug on minecraft. Its been about 4-5 days and my world size is still 11MB's even though ive done tons of work and checking the actual save says its 13.3MB.

elseanio

I decided to walk in one direction until I realised the world didn't loop..

This obviously made my map huge. Is there any way to delete that generated land from my map?

rezuth said:
Wow, this game really gets the fans on my Mac to spin :lol

What laptop do you use? I was thinking about picking up a MBP soon and I know on my old Macbook any game gets my fan spinning. Really bothers me to so I end up playing on my iMac. :lol

elseanio said:
I decided to walk in one direction until I realised the world didn't loop..

This obviously made my map huge. Is there any way to delete that generated land from my map?

I just did this the other day. Use MCEdit and load up your world. You can zoom out and select the outline of the area you want to wipe and erase it completely.

I'm pruning the edges of my territory in preperation for expanding into biomes.

elseanio

Mama Robotnik said:
I just did this the other day. Use MCEdit and load up your world. You can zoom out and select the outline of the area you want to wipe and erase it completely.

Thank you, that worked perfectly.

r1chard

VGChampion said:
What laptop do you use? I was thinking about picking up a MBP soon and I know on my old Macbook any game gets my fan spinning. Really bothers me to so I end up playing on my iMac. :lol
I play on a regular old 2.4GHz MacBook and sure, the fan spins, but I'm not bothered by it :)

I'm a developer so working the thing hard is something I do frequently ;-)

owlbeak

Did Touch's server just die? I crashed and haven't been able to connect for 10+ minutes. We were experiencing horrendous lag.

Brashnir

Mama Robotnik said:

OMG, I had no idea this was possible. the world we're in has vast areas of empty "explored" land and it was going to make finding biomes a pain. I'll definitely be doing this before the update.

jkanownik

OK. So I started this fresh without any faqs or tips.

Two minutes in I fall in a hole and can't get out. I dig through a wall and water comes crashing on me taking a quarter of my life. Now there is water filling my hole. After ten minutes of trying to dig out I figure out I can hold jump to swim up. Shortly after getting out I see a skeleton, go up to it and quickly die.

Restart. Go dig around in some stuff and build a small fort out of wood. I'm looking at my fort when all of a sudden BOOM! I'm dead. How the hell did that happen? It was light out and I didn't do anything.

Restart and I go look for my fort. I find half of it blown up and there is a big hole in the ground next to it. I have no idea what happened. Time to get some help, so I go read how to start making stuff. After reading some simple recipes I build a little house out of brown gravelly looking stuff and build a workbench, shovel, axe and door. I still have no idea what is going on, so I'm just hiding in my new house at night.

WTF did I find myself enjoying this?

LaneDS

jkanownik said:

Two minutes in I fall in a hole and can't get out. I dig through a wall and water comes crashing on me taking a quarter of my life. Now there is water filling my hole. After ten minutes of trying to dig out I figure out I can hold jump to swim up. Shortly after getting out I see a skeleton, go up to it and quickly die.

Restart. Go dig around in some stuff and build a small fort out of wood. I'm looking at my fort when all of a sudden BOOM! I'm dead. How the hell did that happen? It was light out and I didn't do anything.

Restart and I go look for my fort. I find half of it blown up and there is a big hole in the ground next to it. I have no idea what happened. Time to get some help, so I go read how to start making stuff. After reading some simple recipes I build a little house out of brown gravelly looking stuff and build a workbench, shovel, axe and door. I still have no idea what is going on, so I'm just hiding in my new house at night.

Remember, you'll need a light source (or many) inside your house... otherwise it's not any safer inside of it than outside of it... any dark area represents a potential threat to your safety.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
jkanownik said:

Restart and I go look for my fort. I find half of it blown up and there is a big hole in the ground next to it. I have no idea what happened.
Time to get some help, so I go read how to start making stuff. After reading some simple recipes I build a little house out of brown gravelly looking stuff and build a workbench, shovel, axe and door. I still have no idea what is going on, so I'm just hiding in my new house at night.

everybody remembers their first creeper <3

bjork

There's a decided lack of pigs in my world. Anything else you can eat to regain health? If you could eat rocks, I would be hooked up bigtime.

kennah

Make a hoe - basically a pick axe missing one ore - and dig up some seeds in grass. Plant them in dirt, expose to water and sun. Harvest the wheat. Make bread.

GC|Simon

Johnlenham said:
Ah thanks, I was trying to do it with the work bench! first time I get to use my furnace!
Also I was mining the red ore which took firigin ages and it didn't give me anything? mined 5-6 of em too :/

You probably need a new pick. Iron pick should be fine.

Metalic Sand said:
Immersion?
I doubt removing the HUD is going to help the player forget he's surrounded by NES-style block graphics. :lol
xyla said:
I remember that there where negotiations between Valve and the Minecraft creator about getting it on steam. Did anything came from that? I wanted to sit out on the game until it is on steam, because I can see myself sinking many hours into it and my gaming time is limited... Wanted to finish some other games before I start with this. Also it would look great in my Steam catalog ^^

IIRC there was some information about this in an interview Notch did with a Swedish newspaper that said Valve flew him out to Seattle to discuss the details but that he turned them down because he wanted to remain completely independent.

Bregor

What is the preferred backup utitlity for minecraft among GAF posters? I've been doing it by hand, and i need something more elegant.

GC|Simon

Whaaaa! Found a skeleton dungeon and they killed me. They *********** killed me. Damn. My tools. My weapons. They are gonna pay for that soon!

bjork said:
There's a decided lack of pigs in my world. Anything else you can eat to regain health? If you could eat rocks, I would be hooked up bigtime.

In addition to farming, you can make mushroom soup out of a wooden bowl, and a red and brown mushroom.

Starbeh

Neo Member
Could someone zip their bin folder and upload somewhere?

I played around with the textures and eventually deleted the folder to reset everything.
Only minecraft is dead at the moment, i can't connect and download it again.

Seriously need to scratch that itch ASAP!

Thanks in advance :3

EDIT: Nevermind, it's up now.

rObit

Banned
So I was just making a little 2 story house up above the beach with a little balcony thing to look out of and this is what happened:

bunker.jpg

omahabeach.jpg

oops.

Oyashiro

I finally figured out how to make tools and shit, so it's starting to get more fun. My pick sucks though... takes forever just to crush regular stone blocks...

Also, shame on my 4 year old MacBook for struggling with this game. I have to set the render distance to low in order to not lag ALL THE TIME. Grrrr.

Leunam

Oyashiro said:
I finally figured out how to make tools and shit, so it's starting to get more fun. My pick sucks though... takes forever just to crush regular stone blocks...

Also, shame on my 4 year old MacBook for struggling with this game. I have to set the render distance to low in order to not lag ALL THE TIME. Grrrr.

Use that stone to make stone picks! Assuming you're just using wooden picks, of course.

Glix

Mama Robotnik said:
In the comments they're already blindly aiming blame at 4chan. Stupid accusation, my understanding was they love the game.

Just read those comments man. Wow, Notch is so loved and the community is so strong in their support of the game and him.

He really has created something wonderful.

Oyashiro

Leunam said:
Use that stone to make stone picks! Assuming you're just using wooden picks, of course.
Yeah, I'm using a stone pick, but breaking stones still takes like 5 or more seconds. Are there stronger types of picks out there?

I also can't play in a snow world cause it lags so much :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom