• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glix said:
Just read those comments man. Wow, Notch is so loved and the community is so strong in their support of the game and him.

He really has created something wonderful.

He also comes across as a really nice guy, I really hope his success doesn't change him.

Vinci

Danish
Oyashiro said:
Yeah, I'm using a stone pick, but breaking stones still takes like 5 or more seconds. Are there stronger types of picks out there?

I also can't play in a snow world cause it lags so much :(

Yup. Iron, gold, diamond. Find some iron, build a furnace, and cook the iron in it. Use the iron bars to create iron picks. You will love them. You'll fall in love once you've got a diamond pick though.

Leunam

Oyashiro said:
Yeah, I'm using a stone pick, but breaking stones still takes like 5 or more seconds. Are there stronger types of picks out there?

It shouldn't be taking 5 seconds, but yes, there are stronger picks. Just need to find other materials, like iron.

Vlad

Oyashiro said:

Uhh, are you exaggerating or does it really take 5 seconds? Are you sure that you're using a pick and not a hoe or something?

Looking at this page in the Minecraft Wiki it looks like even a wooden pick should only be taking a little under two seconds to break smooth stone. Picks don't go through stone as fast a shovel goes through dirt or anything, but they're not 5-seconds-per-block slow, either.

insin

Neo Member
Are you sure you haven't made a hoe instead? It should take 5 hits not 5 seconds. I was wondering why my axe was so rubbish fiirst time I played Survival. I'd actually been hitting trees with a wooden hoe... that or you're clicking instead of holding the button down.

Vinci

Danish
Vlad said:
Uhh, are you exaggerating or does it really take 5 seconds? Are you sure that you're using a pick and not a hoe or something?

Looking at this page in the Minecraft Wiki it looks like even a wooden pick should only be taking a little under two seconds to break smooth stone. Picks don't go through stone as fast a shovel goes through dirt or anything, but they're not 5-seconds-per-block slow, either.

That, or he was exaggerating the time it takes. One or the other.

GC|Simon

I have a question... today I discovered a skeleton dungeon. I cleared it with a TNT block but some skeletons survived. However, that "fire block" hasn't survived. But the skeletons killed me. I decided to take a break and saved the game. A few minutes ago I went back into this dungeon to kill the skeletons and get my things back. Unfortunately, there were no skeletons and there wasn't a single piece of my former equipment. Where the hell is it? Thanks ^^

Askani

GC|Simon said:
I have a question... today I discovered a skeleton dungeon. I cleared it with a TNT block but some skeletons survived. However, that "fire block" hasn't survived. But the skeletons killed me. I decided to take a break and saved the game. A few minutes ago I went back into this dungeon to kill the skeletons and get my things back. Unfortunately, there were no skeletons and there wasn't a single piece of my former equipment. Where the hell is it? Thanks ^^

I think when you drop stuff from dying, you only have a limited time to get it back. Also, if your spawn is way away from the place you died, all your stuff will also despawn (or that's how it seems to me).

Anyway, when you saved and quit, your stuff on the ground immediately went away.

Also, monsters despawn when you quit. With no spawner there and good light they probably won't come back.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Oyashiro said:
I finally figured out how to make tools and shit, so it's starting to get more fun. My pick sucks though... takes forever just to crush regular stone blocks...

Also, shame on my 4 year old MacBook for struggling with this game. I have to set the render distance to low in order to not lag ALL THE TIME. Grrrr.
Are you sure you made a pick and not some other tool? Even the lowly wooden pick cuts through stone pretty quickly.

Okay, so today i had my first real Minecraft scare. I was exploring this really big-ass cave system (seriously, it's humongous!) and am walking through a "corridor" leading out to a huge pitch-black room. Out of nowhere comes an arrow and I'm like "WHOA!!!" but it's no big deal, I kill the skeleton and continues my journey. After a while I arrive at some badass lava puddles and kill a few zombies. I turn the corner and see two skeletons, two or three zombies and TWO FUCKING CREEPERS rushing toward me. I panic and tries to flee but I can almost feel the creepers closing in on me. I'm thinking "FUCK! FUCK! FUCK!" as I hear the arrows fly by and then the "SSSSSSSSS" starts. I think "I'm fucked" when the first bang goes but I miraculously survive that first bang and somehow manage to turn around and kill the other creeper. The first one took the skeletons with him but two zombies are still left. I'm still panicking and can't really think clear, so I hopelessly flail around with my sword in their general direction hoping to kill them, but they manage to kill me first. I have no idea where in that cave I died, since it's frikkin' huge with a lot of sub-caves.

I love this game.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I guess I need to check my difficulty setting or something when I get home, because I never run into any of these huge monster hordes everybody else seems to be finding. I ran into a zombie and a skeleton at the same time once, and that's it.

I see groups above ground at night sometimes, but as far as underground goes the place is barren no matter how many caves I run into.

bjork

Monroeski said:
I guess I need to check my difficulty setting or something when I get home, because I never run into any of these huge monster hordes everybody else seems to be finding. I ran into a zombie and a skeleton at the same time once, and that's it.

I see groups above ground at night sometimes, but as far as underground goes the place is barren no matter how many caves I run into.

I had it on normal, but I just wanted to explore without fighting so I clicked it to easy for now. It's nice to just cruise around. :)

Ugh, wanted to play Minecraft on my lunch break :( Can't do multiplayer, and can't go into inventory in singleplayer without crashing, probably because I have a skin. Hope he gets it back up and running soon.

bjork said:
I had it on normal, but I just wanted to explore without fighting so I clicked it to easy for now. It's nice to just cruise around. :)

I played on easy when what I described above happened. If you just want to explore you'd better set it on peaceful ;)

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
bjork said:
I've heard from several places that there are actually MORE enemies on easy. I guess they're just easier to kill?

I honestly don't remember what difficulty I have my game set at.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Prophet Steve said:
I think there is an difference between hacked and an attack. I mean, it could be a botnet or whatever right?
if it is, minecraft doesn't even have to be the target for them to feel the effect.

Vinci

Danish
I've seen large groups of enemies many times - I've just never been in a situation in which I was surrounded or attacked en masse without having set things up to my advantage. Placing blocks between me and them, creating little areas for me to attack through while not exposing myself to attack, etc.

So is the reason that I cant play mine craft currently because I can not log in? My game wont do anything past the sign in stage right now.

Edit: Nvm it was, I spammed the signin button and it let me play offline.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Mama Robotnik said:
He also comes across as a really nice guy, I really hope his success doesn't change him.

If he hadn't changed after 2 million dollars a month and a job offer from Valve, there's not much else that's going to change him for the worse.

dani_dc

HenryGale said:
So is the reason that I cant play mine craft currently because I can not log in? My game wont do anything past the sign in stage right now.

Edit: Nvm it was, I spammed the signin button and it let me play offline.
When that happens I just turn off the internet for a minute, press login and the game lets me go offline right away, then turn the internet back on.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Atomski said:
I wish there was a way to make the draw distance farther. I hate when I get up real high and can't see very far. :/

I think the in game fog distance settings cant be maxed in game atleast. I remember looking in the settings saved out of game and the fog was read as Fog: 33 even though in game maxed see distance.

6wSLtl.jpg

Wonder if fog can be totally turned off.

muhahaha killed my first creeper by tunneling a block below him so he couldn't get me :lol

But then as I went off exploring I tunneled my way into a 10ft drop into a lava pit :(

Did upgrade my swanky base into a stonewalled,swanky palace. Cant work out how ot build a moat to save my life mind you! I have to dig deeper to move the water further so its now like 8 blocks below my house!!

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Just found a spider dungeon 1 block under the ocean floor:lol

I went to mine the ceiling and BAM 10 blocks deep or so of ocean flooding in on me!

BooJoh

Metalic Sand said:
I think the in game fog distance settings cant be maxed in game atleast. I remember looking in the settings saved out of game and the fog was read as Fog: 33 even though in game maxed see distance.

6wSLtl.jpg

Wonder if fog can be totally turned off.
I believe the 33 refers to the keyboard key that toggles fog distance. There's also a line in the options that says "viewDistance:" and that's at 0 for me with max distance set.

I don't think you could set it farther because I'm guessing that any segments of the world beyond the max fog distance are probably unloaded to reduce memory use. There would be nothing to see and you'd start getting a lot more popup where you previously saw distant fog.

Blizzard

Banned
Johnlenham said:
muhahaha killed my first creeper by tunneling a block below him so he couldn't get me :lol

But then as I went off exploring I tunneled my way into a 10ft drop into a lava pit :(

Did upgrade my swanky base into a stonewalled,swanky palace. Cant work out how ot build a moat to save my life mind you! I have to dig deeper to move the water further so its now like 8 blocks below my house!!
It'd probably be easier to just use more water sources. I think you can put two water sources at the ends of a 3x1 pit, and the middle cube will be an infinitely regenerating water source you can pick up with a bucket.

Also, if I read ze Twitter properly:
@notch Still thinking about making floating blocks fall?
@BIindRob no, I've stopped liking that idea. Not sure why.
@notch Glad to hear it. I think it helps make the game what it is.
I'm glad to hear that, though I know some people here seemed to want otherwise.

BooJoh

notch: Minecraft.net is suffering a major DDOS attack
I don't see why anyone would feel the need to attack the Minecraft server. I mean, really? Of all the sites to target, they choose Minecraft?

Brashnir

BooJoh said:
I don't see why anyone would feel the need to attack the Minecraft server. I mean, really? Of all the sites to target, they choose Minecraft?

Clearly this is being masterminded by a consortium of Manic Miner and Cubeworld fanboys.

Rainier

Here's a Minecraft story

I like that it ends with...
Note: Minecraft is an indie world building game. The above passage is representative of the first hour or so of gameplay. Do not attempt to play Minecraft unless you are currently unemployed and alone.

JoeyX

Neo Member
Hopefully they find out who attacked the server. Why? Cause everyone loves Minecraft and then the entire world can out this one (perhaps two at most) person who seems to be backwards enough to not love minecraft.

Vinci said:
Yup. Iron, gold, diamond. Find some iron, build a furnace, and cook the iron in it. Use the iron bars to create iron picks. You will love them. You'll fall in love once you've got a diamond pick though.

Nooo, under no circumstances should you make anything out of gold. It's the worst material for tools, weapons, and armor. I guess you can make shiny gold blocks out of it. That's about it.

IrishNinja

price on this sale looks good, not having to pay again looks better...is it foolish to hold off and see if it comes to steam? still working on my backlog, but id hate to miss grabbing this (if even to play later) at a good price.

Has there ever been a final word on the torch/lantern scenario?

Torches are supposed to turn into lanterns in the update right? Does this include ones stored in chests and such? Or do they have to be placed. And if we place them and break them will they still stay lanterns?

Atomski said:
Probably just some douche at 4chan getting annoyed by its cult following.

Its most definitely not 4chan. Not as a whole, at least, it might be some guys from 4chan, but most people on /v/ are just as perturbed about the attack as everyone else.
And yeah, 4chan LOVES minecraft, they've been backing it since it first started when survival mode was just a thought in the back of Notch's big Swedish head.

Starbeh

Neo Member
BudokaiMR2 said:
Has there ever been a final word on the torch/lantern scenario?

Torches are supposed to turn into lanterns in the update right? Does this include ones stored in chests and such? Or do they have to be placed. And if we place them and break them will they still stay lanterns?

Assuming this is all correct:

"Notch is replacing ALL previous torches with lanterns, regardless if they are on chests, on walls or inventory. You DO NOT need to freak out about all your torches."

Under "Be scared of the dark!" slightly below the picture of hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom