• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

upandaway

Oh, that's pretty easy. I think I'll roll a new world, just make a few hundred torches, and wait for the update.

I don't wanna travel far in order to see all the changes so I'll move as little as possible.

Starbeh said:
Assuming this is all correct:

"Notch is replacing ALL previous torches with lanterns, regardless if they are on chests, on walls or inventory. You DO NOT need to freak out about all your torches."

Under "Be scared of the dark!" slightly below the picture of hell.

Okay just looking through that makes me giddy like a 3rd grader.

I shall make sure to use up all my coal now then. I need to build more chests anyway. Storeroom deep in my mines.

I have heard about boat elevators so I am going to make that my next objective I think. My world is so half-assed it isn't funny because I keep moving from project to project. Haha.

BooJoh

BudokaiMR2 said:
My world is so half-assed it isn't funny because I keep moving from project to project. Haha.
I'm the same way. I keep getting ideas, then starting on them, and if something's not turning out exactly as I imagined it, or I just ADD out and get another idea, then I leave it unfinished. Thus my world is a little disappointing to me atm (other than having tons of materials.)

Because of that, I'm thinking of rolling a new world to store up torches and not travel far (my current world is like 22MB) while waiting for biomes.

BooJoh said:
I'm the same way. I keep getting ideas, then starting on them, and if something's not turning out exactly as I imagined it, or I just ADD out and get another idea, then I leave it unfinished. Thus my world is a little disappointing to me atm (other than having tons of materials.)

Because of that, I'm thinking of rolling a new world to store up torches and not travel far (my current world is like 22MB) while waiting for biomes.

Yeah I traveled really far my first time out but it was only in one direction. I have a coastline right outside my starting area so I was thinking I might just sail out in a boat when the update happens. Start a new base in the new areas then make an underwater tunnel to get back and forth between the two. :)

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm a little upset that my exploratory nature means I can't realistically use my current world post-update, but only a little. I'm definitely done playing until the update though. I had no plan besides survival the first time around anyway.

IrishNinja said:
price on this sale looks good, not having to pay again looks better...is it foolish to hold off and see if it comes to steam? still working on my backlog, but id hate to miss grabbing this (if even to play later) at a good price.
It's currently in alpha, and a game that is far from being finished won't appear on Steam.

I'll probably reroll into a new server and make no torches to be original. Or I'll just stay in my current (huge) world and see if the new stuff adds anything that I would want near spawn.

So far my favorite part is re-rolling. I like exploring, but I hate expanding too far from my spawn. I have such a terrible sense of direction that it scares me.

itxaka

Defeatist
I am still unable to do a stupid water elevator.

I made a hole of 2x1 from the surface to my main base near the vortex. I pour 2 buckets of water on each hole so there is a current going down. Ath the end of it I make another 2x1 hole so I have time to put the boat and mount on it but I always get stuck in there, like in the middle of the nearby blocks.

I tried just putting the boat and it goes up with no problems grrrrr.

itxaka said:
I am still unable to do a stupid water elevator.

I made a hole of 2x1 from the surface to my main base near the vortex. I pour 2 buckets of water on each hole so there is a current going down. Ath the end of it I make another 2x1 hole so I have time to put the boat and mount on it but I always get stuck in there, like in the middle of the nearby blocks.

I tried just putting the boat and it goes up with no problems grrrrr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pDe7CKGgWA&feature=related

This video helped me a lot.

eso76

do you guys think a way to move your respawn point would break the game ?
i don't know, you shouldn't be able to do that at will of course, but maybe if you needed a few very rare gems...or maybe your spawn point could be your house (of course it should have certain characteristics, in size and materials).
I feel too much of the world will go unexplored otherwise.

( I hope my girlfriend hasn't come back from work when i get home; i need to explore a dungeon i found last night :D also, i need to synch my home save with my work save)

eso76 said:
do you guys think a way to move your respawn point would break the game ?
i don't know, you shouldn't be able to do that at will of course, but maybe if you needed a few very rare gems...or maybe your spawn point could be your house (of course it should have certain characteristics, in size and materials).
I feel too much of the world will go unexplored otherwise.
Afaik there is a mod with that you can move your spawn point.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Tried multiplayer for the first time last night, and found that I was unable to break any blocks or build anything for some area around my spawn point. Is that normal? I didn't check to see if anybody else could dig over there.

I'm assuming spawn points are just kind of "protected" at this point? I know, of course, that I don't take any damage in multiplayer, but someday I will and I would like to have built something up around it.

Monroeski said:
Tried multiplayer for the first time last night, and found that I was unable to break any blocks or build anything for some area around my spawn point. Is that normal? I didn't check to see if anybody else could dig over there.

I'm assuming spawn points are just kind of "protected" at this point? I know, of course, that I don't take any damage in multiplayer, but someday I will and I would like to have built something up around it.
Anti-Grief mods are enabled on most multiplayer servers so that assholes can't just log on for 20 minutes and destroy everything you've built. It's not just your spawn point, it's everyone's.

It depends on the server but most likely you've got to stay around for an extended period of time to be allowed build rights and until then you can only construct and destruct blocks in a specific "free for all" area designated for that purpose.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Blue_Gecko said:
Anti-Grief mods are enabled on most multiplayer servers so that assholes can't just log on for 20 minutes and destroy everything you've built. It's not just your spawn point, it's everyone's.

It depends on the server but most likely you've got to stay around for an extended period of time to be allowed build rights and until then you can only construct and destruct blocks in a specific "free for all" area designated for that purpose.
Should have mentioned that, I know at least one other guy on there that had the same issue. That's why I assumed it was protected.

GC|Simon

Askani said:
I think when you drop stuff from dying, you only have a limited time to get it back. Also, if your spawn is way away from the place you died, all your stuff will also despawn (or that's how it seems to me).

Anyway, when you saved and quit, your stuff on the ground immediately went away.

Also, monsters despawn when you quit. With no spawner there and good light they probably won't come back.

Thanks. However, that sucks :'(

vermadas

From Kotaku. Here's a post from 4chan someone claiming to be responsible for the DDOS attack:

Minecraft is currently experiencing a stimulation provided by us.
It's purpose is to send Notch a clear message of how the future of minecraft will turn out unless he gets to work, namely by influencing the amount of sales taking place, due to the attacks.
Start providing your customers with the updates that you promise them.
We have roughly 83,000 bots available, and preserved for this seizure, we could if we wanted to keep this going for weeks, however we have decided to give it a week, and see whether or not your attitude, and commitment will change, we believe it will when money stops rolling in for the time being...
anyhow, no we're not from roblox, or any other minecraft clone, not to mention none of us have been around 4chan for years, and nor has any real 4channers for that matter, its all newfags now, and has been for quite a few years.

This is ridiculous if true. So ridiculous I'm inclined to believe it's false. Who knows though, with the amount of crazies out there...

He becomes as transparent as possible in detailing the biggest update the game has ever seen and there are man-babies crying about it? Disgraceful.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
that post showed up after the notch twitter and a joke thread where people were thanking the ddoser for getting notch back to work. somehow, i have trouble taking it seriously.

(._.)

Banned
vermadas said:
From Kotaku. Here's a post from 4chan someone claiming to be responsible for the DDOS attack:

This is ridiculous if true. So ridiculous I'm inclined to believe it's false. Who knows though, with the amount of crazies out there...
What a bunch of fucking losers if this is true.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
That comedy video someone linked to earlier in this topic (or was it the other Minecraft topic?) couldn't have been truer. What a bunch of pathetic nobodies.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
vermadas said:

If this is true, we just found the biggest fucking losers in the whole wide world.

If that's true, it probably would have been better if Notch hadn't promised weekly Friday updates in the first place - I'm sure every rational Minecraft player understands the trials and complexities of starting a business and hiring people, but as we all know, a lot of internet users are FAR from rational.

undu

vermadas said:

It's just a $10 game, I don't want to know what they'll do if their girlfriends brake up with them, jeez.

It would be hilarious if this attack causes Notch to do the exact opposite and not update, due to him having to try to get the server back up.
Oh the irony.

Jasoco

Banned
Starbeh said:
Assuming this is all correct:.
Hmm... I'm curious about this...
You can save a map's seed value to restart it with biomes.:
MaideHoN: "If we save our seed value, and regenerate the map otherwise, do we get our current map terrain + biome weather?"
Notch: "yes. :)" (Oct 16)​
Elaborate... What's a "seed value"?

Jasoco said:
Hmm... I'm curious about this...
You can save a map's seed value to restart it with biomes.:
MaideHoN: "If we save our seed value, and regenerate the map otherwise, do we get our current map terrain + biome weather?"
Notch: "yes. :)" (Oct 16)​
Elaborate... What's a "seed value"?
You'd probably have to search in the game files. But it has something to do with the number it uses for the random generation. Like each time something is generated it creates a random number and I believe that is the seed value. Don't know how to actually do this though.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I offered notch ages ago to migrate his server infrastructure to google appengine or something similar. It wouldn't be a HUGE deal, certainly for parts of it like purchasing and distribution. He really needs to get up on a cloud platform.

epmode

AndyMoogle said:
It's currently in alpha, and a game that is far from being finished won't appear on Steam.
Natural Selection 2 beta builds are hosted on Steam even though you can't get to it through the normal browser.

Vlad

Sblargh said:
Is it back? Is it back? Is it back?
*tries*
OHGOD!
OHMYGOD!

It was for a little bit a few hours back, but right now it seems to be sporadic at best.

Bootaaay said:
If that's true, it probably would have been better if Notch hadn't promised weekly Friday updates in the first place

I started playing Minecraft relatively recently (after the first few friday updates at least), so can you point me to where he promised weekly updates?

vermadas said:

If true, this is the first time I have ever wanted to punch someone in the face through the internet.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
HappyBivouac said:
If true, this is the first time I have ever wanted to punch someone in the face through the internet.

Seriously. Crybabies the lot of 'em. Notch is doing the best he can AND he's promised to finish what he started by hiring more people to help him. I see no reason to complain. Let the man do his job in peace.

Vlad said:
I started playing Minecraft relatively recently (after the first few friday updates at least), so can you point me to where he promised weekly updates?

I dont know if he ever promised weekly updates, but at one point he did hype up a weekly update that would have been biomes before failing to finish them by friday, so he postponed the release to saturday before straight-up canceling it. People got pretty pissed because he made it sound like a sure thing then didnt deliver. it was on his blog somewhere.

undu

Prophet Steve said:
You'd probably have to search in the game files. But it has something to do with the number it uses for the random generation. Like each time something is generated it creates a random number and I believe that is the seed value. Don't know how to actually do this though.
Yep, the seed is a number that starts a random-looking sequence of numbers, which is used to generate the map.

Randomize the seed to get maximum randomness :D

fresquito

Wow, I didn't get people saying iron was too scarce. It was before I wanted to complete a big railway round my house and up into a near hill. Holy shit, I still need to find like 18 ores!

On an unrelated note, today, at least, I made my first diamond pickaxe. What's your word on its use? Do you use for anything or just for special purposes?

Vlad

fresquito said:
Wow, I didn't get people saying iron was too scarce. It was before I wanted to complete a big railway round my house and up into a near hill. Holy shit, I still need to find like 18 ores!

On an unrelated note, today, at least, I made my first diamond pickaxe. What's your word on its use? Do you use for anything or just for special purposes?

Eh, diamond is so rare that I personally find it to be a bit of a waste to use on a pick. Sure, it digs a little bit faster and lasts longer, but if you're planning on doing any large-scale digging, then you'll still burn through a diamond pick fairly quickly. I'd personally recommend just using it on any gold/diamond/redstone ore you find.

You can also use it to mine obsidian, but if you're planning on making anything with obsidian anyway, it's far faster to use the bucket method instead of mining the stuff.

The only thing that I'll always use diamond for is diamond swords, if I don't already have one. They kill anything in two hits, and they last forever. I've probably made four diamond swords in my game so far, and I've ended up losing them due to my own stupid deaths way before they ever ran out.

Vlad said:
Eh, diamond is so rare that I personally find it to be a bit of a waste to use on a pick. Sure, it digs a little bit faster and lasts longer, but if you're planning on doing any large-scale digging, then you'll still burn through a diamond pick fairly quickly. I'd personally recommend just using it on any gold/diamond/redstone ore you find.

You can also use it to mine obsidian, but if you're planning on making anything with obsidian anyway, it's far faster to use the bucket method instead of mining the stuff.

The only thing that I'll always use diamond for is diamond swords, if I don't already have one. They kill anything in two hits, and they last forever. I've probably made four diamond swords in my game so far, and I've ended up losing them due to my own stupid deaths way before they ever ran out.

Swords are the first thing I make, I think under the same premise it is reasonable for an axe, hoe, and maybe shovel. Then again, I think a diamond pickaxe would be nice, but I would only do that if I had more than, say 7-8 diamond ores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom