• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Vlad said:
Eh, diamond is so rare that I personally find it to be a bit of a waste to use on a pick. Sure, it digs a little bit faster and lasts longer, but if you're planning on doing any large-scale digging, then you'll still burn through a diamond pick fairly quickly. I'd personally recommend just using it on any gold/diamond/redstone ore you find.

You can also use it to mine obsidian, but if you're planning on making anything with obsidian anyway, it's far faster to use the bucket method instead of mining the stuff.
The only thing that I'll always use diamond for is diamond swords, if I don't already have one. They kill anything in two hits, and they last forever. I've probably made four diamond swords in my game so far, and I've ended up losing them due to my own stupid deaths way before they ever ran out.
What's the bucket method? I made a diamond pickaxe specifically for mining obsidian. Only way I knew to do it was basically make a little trough in the ground, put some lava in there, then drop water on one of the edges.

GC|Simon

Digged a extremely long tunnel from my spawning point to a place near my castle. Next project: Make something like a main entrance for my castle! Picture from my castle:

2igyf6e.png

bjork

Is there any difference in playing the single-player offline? It saved the same and seemed to be the same experience.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
bjork said:
Is there any difference in playing the single-player offline? It saved the same and seemed to be the same experience.

Only thing playing single player "online" does is check for updates. So exact same experience whether you're online or offline when in single player.

Vlad

Monroeski said:
What's the bucket method? I made a diamond pickaxe specifically for mining obsidian. Only way I knew to do it was basically make a little trough in the ground, put some lava in there, then drop water on one of the edges.

That's pretty much it, but instead of making a trough to harvest the obsidian, you make a mold of the structure you want to make, layer by layer. Once the bottom layer of the mold is complete, fill it with lava sources and dump water on it to turn them into obsidian. Build the mold up another level and repeat. There are a few considerations though if you're planning on making something large:

- To make the building go faster, you'll need lots of iron. A good minecart system will be necessary to make the trip from your construction site to wherever you can find a large pool of lava.

- You'll also need the iron for lots of buckets, so you'll be able to carry more lava per trip.

- You'll also need to really think ahead when it comes to making the mold, since you're going to be making an outline of each level, not the level itself. It's tricky at first, but after a while, you'll get used to it.

I posted a picture of it a while back, but here's my obsidian tower as it currently stands:

28b8wo6.jpg

It reaches from sea level almost to the build ceiling (that little thing sticking out reaches to the build ceiling. It took a while to do, using the above method, but I still think it was a hell of a lot faster than sitting there and hacking away at obsidian for hours.

Irish

Are there any other good series similar to X's Adventures in Minecraft where someone is just starting to play Minecraft for the first time and isn't totally annoying? There were a few other first timers' journeys I saw, but they seemed pretty annoying, unlike X.

Yeah I used to love watching minecraft LPs, but the only one I got really into was X's adventures. It's the most entertaining because of how much of a noob he is in the early videos. Most other Minecraft LPs are just some annoying kid and/or someone who has played the game for tons of hours already and seems to be just going through the motions, usually a combination of the two.

Irish

The only problem I had with the X videos is that he was so easy to empathize with that I ended up getting tired of Minecraft before I even got a chance to play it simply because he had gotten sorta tired of it.

The adventure to Death Mountain was fantastic though and that makes me want to play it still.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Irish said:
Are there any other good series similar to X's Adventures in Minecraft where someone is just starting to play Minecraft for the first time and isn't totally annoying? There were a few other first timers' journeys I saw, but they seemed pretty annoying, unlike X.
episode 2, raise your hand if you audibly said CREEPER! RUN!
*raises hand*

Anyone able to give me a hand.

Two things first is the more present issue with my terrain pack. I took two 3E dot game heroes terrains, re did parts I did not like, customized others and added in a few from other places, so there's a lot of stuff in it.

terrain.png

I finally decided to go out and find some damn clay. Apparently my game doesn't like the stuff I went from only 16 Mb for my file to 56 and worst part is something is wrong with these textures.

After hours of searching I only have about 120 brick blocks now and the lower right hand corner of the brights has animated fire for some reason. Can anyone figure out why, or try this out in your own game let me know if you have the same issue.

Second my game file is huge, all I wanted was some damn clay. I cant get MC Edit to run on my iMac or Dell. Can someone when the re-launch with biomes starts in Nov trim my level down if I put it up online. I would greatly appreciate it.

Vlad

Pandaman said:
*raises hand*

I liked how he completely didn't even notice it, so you knew what was coming as soon as he stopped to look around.

My favorite part was his constant search for gravel, repeatedly overlooking the massive pile of the stuff right outside of his front door.

Jasoco

Banned
Pandaman said:
*raises hand*
I just watched that. I laughed the whole time he walked past it and started chopping the tree because I knew it was coming and couldn't believe he didn't see it walk by. It was right in front of him. :lol At least he got all his stuff back. Even if he doesn't know what a shovel does.

r1chard

Digging around the basement I found a bunch of lava pools and rivers and stuff and then from a distance I spotted what seemed to be an illuminated dungeon, and sure enough...

MinecraftScreenSnapz008.png

Turns out it's a zombie spawner - but I already have one of those right next to my spawn so I'll just leave it be ;-)

Jasoco

Banned
Watching those videos makes me want to play with enemies on. But I hate that the Creepers are so overpowering. Exploding is a bad thing and a game breaker. They should be gimped and possibly moved to higher difficulties only.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
r1chard said:
Digging around the basement I found a bunch of lava pools and rivers and stuff and then from a distance I spotted what seemed to be an illuminated dungeon, and sure enough...

MinecraftScreenSnapz008.png

Turns out it's a zombie spawner - but I already have one of those right next to my spawn so I'll just leave it be ;-)

A naturally blocked spawner, Too awesome.

ZZMitch

Jasoco said:
Watching those videos makes me want to play with enemies on. But I hate that the Creepers are so overpowering. Exploding is a bad thing and a game breaker. They should be gimped and possibly moved to higher difficulties only.

No way.

Jasoco said:

This game, including the creepers, is super easy after you've played for a few hours.

Irish

Jasoco said:

Continue on in the videos and you'll see that creepers aren't that big of a deal.

trinest

HenryGale said:

Two things first is the more present issue with my terrain pack. I took two 3E dot game heroes terrains, re did parts I did not like, customized others and added in a few from other places, so there's a lot of stuff in it.

terrain.png

I finally decided to go out and find some damn clay. Apparently my game doesn't like the stuff I went from only 16 Mb for my file to 56 and worst part is something is wrong with these textures.

After hours of searching I only have about 120 brick blocks now and the lower right hand corner of the brights has animated fire for some reason. Can anyone figure out why, or try this out in your own game let me know if you have the same issue.

Second my game file is huge, all I wanted was some damn clay. I cant get MC Edit to run on my iMac or Dell. Can someone when the re-launch with biomes starts in Nov trim my level down if I put it up online. I would greatly appreciate it.

When you get it working post some pictures.

HenryGale said:

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad162/CHumes1/terrain.png

Texture packs that are higher res than the default 16x16 have a glitch in them that causes a weird fire effect to show up in the corner of certain blocks. Theres a fanmade patch that fixes it: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=46173

JoeyX

Neo Member
Haha, lets pretend that the hack on the main sever was indeed angry fans wanting more updates....

Latest update
"I’ve also signed up for a DDoS protection service, and took the chance to upgrade the server hardware to a much more powerful beast. I haven’t migrated things over to that server yet, but that’s coming soon.

Coding wise, I’m officially behind schedule now"

Nice guys. Ruined it for everyone (but now we get a more stable server!)

Atomski

Yeah thats one of the thoughts I had. This clearly did the opposite of what they planed.

I find it a little hard to believe they did it for "more updates". The creature told everyone what he planed to release soon. Why would you attack him knowing that info.

Just some 4chan kiddys wanting attention.. like always.

r1chard

Atomski said:
Yeah thats one of the thoughts I had. This clearly did the opposite of what they planed.

I find it a little hard to believe they did it for "more updates". The creature told everyone what he planed to release soon. Why would you attack him knowing that info.

Just some 4chan kiddys wanting attention.. like always.
Has there been any confirmation of any of this? That it was even 4chan?

Random screenshots from the private server that my friend and I have been running together:

nmamfr.jpg

The first two (major) structures -- we spawned really close to this natural cliff, so we started by building the tower on top and a cliffside stairway to the peak. The bridge was added later; it's hollow and houses a secret tunnel with hidden entrances on the mountainside (a common theme in our stuff).

jhcxsy.jpg

Same bridge/tower from on top of the bridge.

2cnbdhf.jpg

The second tower and main castle keep. The original tower and bridge are in the background.

k9g74m.jpg

The southernmost 2/3 of our massive bridge. It reaches from the castle keep across the valley to a mountain on the other side. It's also hollow and the bridge supports both have well-hidden passages that connect to the inner section and the guard towers. The central area between the guard towers has a bunch of random trees planted on it.

otomz9.jpg

Shot from under the bridge, looking north toward the castle -- the structure at the end is the main entrance to the castle keep: two parallel four-story towers that connect at the top.

Right now we're working on building the main castle and filling out the keep, and building a large underground chamber filled with various lava falls and lakes.

JoeyX

Neo Member
Atomski said:
Kotaku has some quote posted on 4chan of some dudes claiming they are responsible. Thats about it..

As said in here though, it was in a joke thread.

Chances are it could have been to do with the amount of revenue flowing through his server, those transactions could have attracted trouble.

How and why I don't know, it's just a hunch. Could have been leading to a clone-phishing scam.

Atomski

JoeyX said:
As said in here though, it was in a joke thread.

Chances are it could have been to do with the amount of revenue flowing through his server, those transactions could have attracted trouble.

How and why I don't know, it's just a hunch. Could have been leading to a clone-phishing scam.

No way with how pissed off the fanbase gets when servers are down a phishy site would be figured out in like 2 seconds.

Honestly if something is popular its going to get some negative attention.

rohlfinator you bridge looks awesome. Kinda giving me a Great Wall idea :p

Vinci

Danish
Vlad said:
Indeed. All in all, I think I worry more about skeletons than I do creepers.

Truth. I detest skeletons. Creepers, I find entertaining.

sonikokaruto said:
is this available on the iphone or the wii?

No, and it won't be appearing on any other platforms anytime soon if Notch's comments are anything to go by.

fresquito

HappyBivouac said:
Finding 18 iron ore should be a matter of 30 minutes or less.
Maybe in your world, not in mine. However, what's your method to find ores?

Jasoco said:
Are you kidding?

BTW, thanks to anyone that answered me about diamond.

Haunted

Pinko Marx said:
Idk if these are real, but I found it on /v/. Apparently its one of the new mobs, a Ghast. I hope to god its real, cause its creepy as fuck.

pHYfq.gif
Wait, is that its head? The head alone is a whole block large? :eek:

KillerAJD

Just a heads up, that's just an approximation being made from the (unfinished) texture. There's a whole shit load of speculation in the minecraft forum thread on what it could possibly look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom