• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
jetsetfluken said:
Have been intending on downloading Minecraft the past months or two, good thing there's a GAF thread now.

I simply can't resist these beautiful 3D pixel-art worlds. Spot on with the thread title, this is taking something like 3D Dot Game Heroes' character customization to a whole new level.

No chance of PSN/XBLA release, right? Sorry, just quickly saw something about PS3 on their main site, probably nothing.

Anyone know how well it runs on Mac OS X?
Actually, I could imagine the survival mode working on consoles well enough and I would buy it in an instant if it appeared on PSN, although the fact it's just one guy making constant updates will be the major preventing factor of a release. Maybe it's a possibility when the game is more complete (if Notch ever decides it is) but I wouldn't get my hopes up. (plus the whole thing is in Java and I don't know how easy that would be to port)

Vinci

Danish
Still only playing the free version for now. Will upgrade on August 1st though. I absolutely love building stuff. Holy crap, it's addicting.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Apparently papyrus is farmable if you place it right next to water. Going to do that later today - and create myself a library :D

Razorskin said:
Here's the terrain.png, updated to include all the new stuff from today.
NYAnc.png

So I am new to this but love the look. How do I impliment it on my comp?

TheExecutive said:
So I am new to this but love the look. How do I impliment it on my comp?

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/416/reskinminecrafttut.png (large pic)

Basically, you need to open the minecraft.jar with winrar and overwrite the terrain.png that's in there with the new one... or whip one up yourself! The character texture is also in there if you'd like to mix it up a bit.

Oh, and make copies of the originals in case you want to revert back.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Wow... great update today! Surprised at how much new stuff was implemented.

Obviously I want Notch working hard on multiplayer, but hopefully next Friday's update gives us a way to obtain feathers and gunpowder without fighting creepers and zombies.

Feathers can come from the long-rumored chickens, obviously.

Gunpowder is trickier. Obviously players need SOME way to make TNT without messing with creepers... but it still needs to be scarce. My thought was to use coal as the base of the recipe, and require a lot of it. That way people can make TNT if they want, but not an unlimited amount, since coal is so critical.

Maybe the recipe for one piece of gunpowder could require 7 coal and 3 clay, or something. Since 5 gunpowder are required for TNT, that would mean 35 coal per TNT block. That's a pretty good steep (but not too steep) cost, imo.

Other thoughts for future Friday updates:

- Powered mine tracks via Redstone seems like a given.
- Fishing

Funky Functionality said:
I just got such an awesome spawn point in my newest world... too bad I'm at work. :lol Might have to e-mail myself the save for this one. I was greeted with this awesome little cove-type area and waterfall, and the mountain keeps on stretching off to the right, and I'm assuming that dark cavern just above and to the right of the waterfall extends into it at least partially. Coal in sight immediately, plenty of trees, lots of varied terrain in the distance.

rje9mr.jpg

It's beautiful...

*sniffles*

GDJustin said:
Other thoughts for future Friday updates:

- Powered mine tracks via Redstone seems like a given.
- Fishing

Fishing is a must.

I was also thinking of some pulley system that we could build so we could create elevators and other such things. Oh and we need pack mules!

Blizzard

Banned
TheExecutive said:
Fishing is a must.

I was also thinking of some pulley system that we could build so we could create elevators and other such things. Oh and we need pack mules!
Maybe string -> rope (if we got another way to get string), rope + wood -> crane. That could only be useful for lifting people in multiplayer I guess, though.

Also, it feels like a way to make a drawbridge would be pretty useful, but I guess you couldn't have a sloped bridge so it would have to be a straight-up lift one...maybe that's why it's not possible now.

Fitz

K2Valor said:
Apparently papyrus is farmable if you place it right next to water. Going to do that later today - and create myself a library :D

VERY interesting, I have to go quite far afield to find any papyrus at the moment, being able to have another farm going next to my current wheat farm would be brilliant.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Blizzard said:
Someone else had that issue earlier -- I assume you're running at "fast" graphics with the limit framerate option on? You can turn fog on or maybe resize the window to make things run better too.
Yeah, I had the issue. I dunno if there's a memory leak or what but every twenty minutes or so my Finder resets, and when I boot up MC again my inventory is intact but my changes to the world have been reverted. I've been playing it on my Win 7 partition for the past few days, no issues there.

GDJustin

Loaded up my last world and ran along a lengthy coastline... no papyrus or clay :/ Seems like maybe you need to spawn a new world? Sucks... really loving the one I have now. It's the one I posted the screens of last night.

Fitz

You definitely don't need a new world, I've managed to find some in my pre-update world, I just had to take the boat out quite far, but I found a load after a fairly long sail.

Actually, I've gotten kinda lost, so I made a mark on the little bit of land I'm on and loaded up Cartograph to check where I am, turns out I've gone a looong way in the wrong direction. :lol I've got quite a trip before I get back to my island.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Colkate said:
You definitely don't need a new world, I've managed to find some in my pre-update world, I just had to take the boat out quite far, but I found a load after a fairly long sail.
Makes sense, they won't show up in an already generated area, but as you expand your horizons the game is creating new stuff, so it will include the latest changes to the engine.

GDJustin said:
Gunpowder is trickier. Obviously players need SOME way to make TNT without messing with creepers... but it still needs to be scarce. My thought was to use coal as the base of the recipe, and require a lot of it. That way people can make TNT if they want, but not an unlimited amount, since coal is so critical.

Could always introduce a new sulfur ore. Everyone loves sulfur.

Damn I was just finishing this big building.

Now I'm debating if I want to start over or just travel far out to get new stuff. Decisions...

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
I'm now in the process of making glass for a treehouse made completely out of glass!

..Can monsters use ladders? :lol

Jesus fuck this game is scary. :(

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I started a new world at lunch so I could get reeds closer to my home base.

I've never been in a more cave-filled area. I dug my first house into a small hill near two cave entrances. I built a door, and as soon as night fell there sounded like 50 various creatures hissing and growling outside my cave door.

I started mining down, and hit a cave 7 blocks down full of more baddies. Went up the stairs, dug in another direction, another cave. Same in the third direction. Maybe I'm on top of a huge cave system, but all three were at different depths so I may be looking at several. Needless to say, my house sounds like night of the living dead with these horrible noises coming from all directions.

The sun came up, and I walked outside. Tons of enemies still there, chasing me around. Killed off a few, and noticed some zombies were still standing right above my front door. It turns out the new trees, when they grow big enough, can make a lot of shade. Enough shade for zombies to hang out in without catching on fire.

I killed off these zombies, dying once in the process. Now my big errand for the day is building a dirt ramp up to this huge tree and pruning the leaves so that zombies can't hang out under it during the day.

Brannon

Stumpokapow said:
The title isn't going to be changed to something cute or an in-joke that people who have already played the game would get--that kind of clique stuff isn't conducive to new people, which is a bad thing. If someone can come up with a title that describes the game better than the current one to people who have not yet heard of the game or clicked on the thread, I'd be happy to change the title.

Change the - to an = :mad:

bathala

Banned

Basically, you need to open the minecraft.jar with winrar and overwrite the terrain.png that's in there with the new one... or whip one up yourself! The character texture is also in there if you'd like to mix it up a bit.

Could I just re-download the offline version to get the update

filipe

I don't know if it's confirmed, but chain is definitely in the game. It's in the armor folder in the .jar file.

GDJustin

OK, you guys are right. I took a boat trip and found a few reeds and a bit of clay in a newly generated sector. Maybe it was just bad luck but clay seems super rare. I only found two squares after walking along a LOT of coastline.

This makes brick tough. I was hoping each piece of clay would make 4 bricks, meaning you could get 64 bricks with 8 clay and 8 coal... but no it is 1 to 1 :( It should at least be 2:1 imo.

Has anyone confirmed that papyrus is indeed farmable? If so a guide would be nice about exactly what is required. Wheat farming is pretty funky, for example. I think it just has to be within 5 squares of water in any direction, right?

Another idea for a Friday update besides the others I mentioned is a BED. Sleeping in one should reset your spawn to that spot. Could be constructed with two cloth and four planks, configured like... a bed.

Also, milk serving no purpose along with slime balls are pretty obvious candidates for one of the next updates.

Edit: Also there are no sea creepers yet, so their inclusion next week seems very likely.

FlyinJ said:
I killed off these zombies, dying once in the process. Now my big errand for the day is building a dirt ramp up to this huge tree and pruning the leaves so that zombies can't hang out under it during the day.

Pruned leaves will regrow pretty quickly. If you chop down a whole tree however, leaves not attached to anything will decay and disappear.

ant_

Yep papyrus is easily farmable. The only requirement is that water has to be in an adjacent square.

GDJustin

K2Valor said:
Yep papyrus is easily farmable. The only requirement is that water has to be in an adjacent square.

Does it grow only on dirt, or also on sand? Do diagonals count as adjacent?

I'm asking because I could easily just toss a bunch of papyrus on the coastline to come back and harvest later, but I'm trying to make everything in my current world controlled and self-contained, with no need to venture out if I don't want to. So I'm thinking about how to get papyrus growing in my base itself.

The problem is that dirt and sand absorb water, so I'm not sure how to get the papyrus next to water without it disappearing.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
GDJustin said:
Pruned leaves will regrow pretty quickly. If you chop down a whole tree however, leaves not attached to anything will decay and disappear.

Yeah I know, but they don't decay fast enough. This tree is -huge-. I already got rid of all it's wood.

Cday

Banned
FlyinJ said:
I started a new world at lunch so I could get reeds closer to my home base.

I've never been in a more cave-filled area. I dug my first house into a small hill near two cave entrances. I built a door, and as soon as night fell there sounded like 50 various creatures hissing and growling outside my cave door.

I started mining down, and hit a cave 7 blocks down full of more baddies. Went up the stairs, dug in another direction, another cave. Same in the third direction. Maybe I'm on top of a huge cave system, but all three were at different depths so I may be looking at several. Needless to say, my house sounds like night of the living dead with these horrible noises coming from all directions.

The sun came up, and I walked outside. Tons of enemies still there, chasing me around. Killed off a few, and noticed some zombies were still standing right above my front door. It turns out the new trees, when they grow big enough, can make a lot of shade. Enough shade for zombies to hang out in without catching on fire.

At that point you might as well start over again or you could try lighting the caves but there's no telling how extensive they are, though one time I just started closing off certain passages to make it more manageable.

I was having a horrible time with it in my newest world and finally broke down and used the Cartograph tool to find a better location. My mine is circled in red.

GDJustin said:
Does it grow only on dirt, or also on sand? Do diagonals count as adjacent?

I'm asking because I could easily just toss a bunch of papyrus on the coastline to come back and harvest later, but I'm trying to make everything in my current world controlled and self-contained, with no need to venture out if I don't want to. So I'm thinking about how to get papyrus growing in my base itself.

The problem is that dirt and sand absorb water, so I'm not sure how to get the papyrus next to water without it disappearing.

I first found them on sand next to the ocean but don't take that as confirmation since it could be that it just was generated there and can't actually grow there.

So i followed the instructions and it doesnt work. Any pointers?

With the news of todays updates I felt I should make a new world and this is what it gave me, so much potential.

a44lys.jpg

On another note, I now want to watch castle in the sky.

TheExecutive said:
So i followed the instructions and it doesnt work. Any pointers?
Hmmm. I've never actually tried it, so let me fire it up here at work real quick and give it a shot. I'll edit when I'm done.

Edit: ok, apparently that tutorial is old and only applies to the browser-based client. Sorry! The minecraft.jar file you need to find is in documents and settings/your profile/application data/.minecraft/bin

While the Minecraft app isn't running:

Make sure you save the PNG posted here as "terrain.png" and not the "NYAnc.png" it was posted as. Extract the terrain.png file from the minecraft.jar file in your bin folder to a safe place using winrar, rename it terrain_old.png or something, and then add the new terrain.png file you just saved from this page into the minecraft.jar file. Fire up MC again and you should see the new textures:

2wf8kgn.jpg

ant_

The new worlds generated by the world generator are so awesome. I loaded one just to check it out and it was amazing. Crazy valleys and caves and mountains.

But I don't want to leave all my good stuff behind :(

K2Valor said:
But I don't want to leave all my good stuff behind :(

Neither do I, but after exploring some new ones here at work, I really think I need to. I mined for hours yesterday at home and only ever came across scarce coal and 5 stray pieces of iron ore. One of the worlds I started here at work had more iron ore in my inventory in less than 20 minutes... so it looks like I'll be starting over.

I'll take some pics of my humble abode before it's gone forever. I had a nice "kitchen" going, lol.

Bebpo

Banned
I want to play this because it looks so cool, but I have two questions before putting down the money.

I don't play online games, can I still enjoy this?
Is there an actual game here? Like something to accomplish? Or is it just a sandbox where you have fun doing stuff.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
So I just added a livestock hut into my castle:

2zxyzyv.png

2uhvbq9.png

A word of advice:

If you plan to do the same, reserve a LOT of time and extra blocks to do temporary fences with, these things jump like crazy :lol

Ferrio

Banned
Bebpo said:
Is there an actual game here? Like something to accomplish? Or is it just a sandbox where you have fun doing stuff.

1. There is no online currently. So yes.
2. It's a sandbox only, no objective other than staying alive and fooling around. You'll make your own objectives, don't worry. (ie "Hey I should try and make a fort" then 3 am rolls around)

Hmmm. I've never actually tried it, so let me fire it up here at work real quick and give it a shot. I'll edit when I'm done.

Edit: ok, apparently that tutorial is old and only applies to the browser-based client. Sorry! The minecraft.jar file you need to find is in documents and settings/your profile/application data/.minecraft/bin

While the Minecraft app isn't running:

Make sure you save the PNG posted here as "terrain.png" and not the "NYAnc.png" it was posted as. Extract the terrain.png file from the minecraft.jar file in your bin folder to a safe place using winrar, rename it terrain_old.png or something, and then add the new terrain.png file you just saved from this page into the minecraft.jar file. Fire up MC again and you should see the new textures:
I cant find any application data on my comp even though i have downloaded the client. All I have is an .exe on my desktop. I have run finds throughout my computer and I cant find "documents and settings" on fricking windows 7.

GDJustin

Bebpo said:
I want to play this because it looks so cool, but I have two questions before putting down the money.

Game is offline only for now.

There are no goals, it's just a sandbox. BUT:

1) If you buy the game, you're buying all future versions of it as well. And there are plans to implement a proper adventure mode (with a quest etc).

2) Since it's still in alpha it is half-off. So might as well buy it now if you think you might be interested down the line.

3) I don't think "just a sandbox" is a negative in this instance. Typically I have trouble with "make your own fun!" games, but not here. The game gives a good feeling of always giving players one more thing to work towards.

Ferrio

Banned
TheExecutive said:
I cant find any application data on my comp even though i have downloaded the client. All I have is an .exe on my desktop. I have run finds throughout my computer and I cant find "documents and settings" on fricking windows 7.

C:/Users/(yourusername)/

in there somewhere.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Cday said:
At that point you might as well start over again or you could try lighting the caves but there's no telling how extensive they are, though one time I just started closing off certain passages to make it more manageable.

Hell no, I love this! It's absolutely terrifying, and really hard to survive in (the game is also set at hard).

I'm constantly piling up rocks to block off passages, mining out the iron, then inching my way forward fighting through slimes and creepers, walling off more passages, mining.

It's really fun.

GDJustin

Osaka said:
So I just added a livestock hut into my castle:

If you plan to do the same, reserve a LOT of time and extra blocks to do temporary fences with, these things jump like crazy :lol

I was thinking of doing something like this, but with zombies.

1) Have a room with a glass floor, and space mined out underneath the floor. So the glass is separating two levels basically.

2) Have the glass floor complete, besides one area where you can quickly hop up some blocks from the lower level, to the upper.

3) Roam around at night aggro'ing some mobs. When they're following you, lead them back to your base. Enter the lower level. When they follow, QUICKLY hop up the blocks, and block off the hole you hopped through.

4) They could still escape through the hole in the lower level you had to make to walk in... but it should be possible to wall it back up before they get out.

5) Voila. You now have a zombie viewing room. Bonus points if you can isolate the mobs in separate glass enclosures, creating a creeper zoo.

Edit: Make sure the room is enclosed or they will catch fire in the morning. Or maybe you make it a game. Poke a couple holes in the roof so a little light shines through and see if they survive :lol

Ferrio

Banned
GDJustin said:

5) Voila. You now have a zombie viewing room. Bonus points if you can isolate the mobs in separate glass enclosures, creating a creeper zoo.

Not sure how well walling off monsters who pack explosives will work.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
GDJustin said:

1) Have a room with a glass floor, and space mined out underneath the floor. So the glass is separating two levels basically.

2) Have the glass floor complete, besides one area where you can quickly hop up some blocks from the lower level, to the upper.

3) Roam around at night aggro'ing some mobs. When they're following you, lead them back to your base. Enter the lower level. When they follow, QUICKLY hop up the blocks, and block off the hole you hopped through.

4) They could still escape through the hole in the lower level you had to make to walk in... but it should be possible to wall it back up before they get out.

That sounds pretty awesome :lol

My plan was to get a sheep in there too and then keep farming the cow for milk and the sheep for wool. The piggy is just a pet! No bacon!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ferrio said:
Not sure how well walling off monsters who pack explosives will work.

As long as they aren't right next to you they don't blow up. Although one did make it up to me when I was walling one of the corridors, making it impossible to seal it off from the resulting crater. I doored that section of the caves off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom