• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferga

GT Vespene said:
If I see that fucking block come out of a hole, I'll turn off the game and go cry in my bed.
:lol :lol I want to see a ghost just passing through a tiny hole slowly towards me.

Well this just encourages first nighters to just block off everything and live in a small room with a nothing but a torch with nothing to see except for dirt/stone

GC|Simon

Sword Familiar said:
That looks like a nicely built castle. Care to take a closer shot so that I can see it in all it's glory?

Thanks! Some more pictures:

The "core" of my castle: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_CPG6Ox832xY/T.../mn4OrW3hziY/javaw 2010-10-20 13-56-14-60.png

On the castle: http://lh6.ggpht.com/_CPG6Ox832xY/T.../ajkkmFxyQIM/javaw 2010-10-20 13-57-01-17.png

Eternal fire and water on my castle: http://lh6.ggpht.com/_CPG6Ox832xY/T.../Iy0jMnoGKUQ/javaw 2010-10-20 13-57-20-75.png

Standing on the highest point of my castle: http://lh4.ggpht.com/_CPG6Ox832xY/T.../SYCi5sEbB1w/javaw 2010-10-20 13-57-44-77.png

Greenhouse: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_CPG6Ox832xY/T.../eF7sonSUAdg/javaw 2010-10-20 13-59-07-02.png

"Beach tower": http://lh3.ggpht.com/_CPG6Ox832xY/T.../D084dkHMMSQ/javaw 2010-10-20 14-04-44-34.png

Bridge from "beach tower" to my castle: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_CPG6Ox832xY/T.../wY7_iX5PDA8/javaw 2010-10-20 14-05-01-83.png

Bridge and castle at night: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_CPG6Ox832xY/T.../1-UzXDaJ-7k/javaw 2010-10-21 19-28-53-84.png

Current "main entrance" project: http://lh6.ggpht.com/_CPG6Ox832xY/T.../PA44OConCwc/javaw 2010-10-22 10-14-12-61.png

Tunnel to my spawning point: http://lh6.ggpht.com/_CPG6Ox832xY/T.../-CSEMtPeVVk/javaw 2010-10-22 10-16-09-24.png

"Main entrance" project: http://lh6.ggpht.com/_CPG6Ox832xY/T.../YpP7IE2kSxA/javaw 2010-10-22 10-25-04-10.png

I know, my castle isn't very impressive. However, there was never a rebuild or something like that. This was my base from the beginning and it's getting bigger and bigger.

fresquito

So it seems carts can't go alone for long :-/

I wanted to implement a kind of train system, where two or three carts would be doing rounds inside a circuit and you could hop in the carts anytime one passed in front of you.

This and my lighthouse project have been kind of failures :-/

YourMaster

fresquito said:

I wanted to implement a kind of train system, where two or three carts would be doing rounds inside a circuit and you could hop in the carts anytime one passed in front of you.

This is possible. You can boost minecarts with other minecarts with the complex fysics system. Or you can just use fuel to power minecarts.

fresquito said:

there will probably be video tutorials on youtube demonstrating the boosters they're talking about. Basically you get a smaller parallel bit of track with another cart on it and set it up so collision detection launches you off at high speeds. pretty sure you can make perpetual motion with them in some form. if not they still go really far.

fresquito

I have made boosters, and when I'm on the cart, it does the whole circuit. No problems there. The problem comes when you send it alone. Maybe I should try another time, but when I sent it alone, it stopped midway.

Pinko Marx said:
b36Hf.png

Is it crying?! Is it sleeping?! Is it depressed?! Is it bored?! I DON'T KNOW!!!!!!! AHHHHHHH!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Pinko Marx said:
Idk if these are real, but I found it on /v/. Apparently its one of the new mobs, a Ghast. I hope to god its real, cause its creepy as fuck.

b36Hf.png

Edit: Looks like its the real deal gentlemen, http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1016&t=61239
Looking at it...it looks asleep. Maybe if you disturb it then it awakens and chases your sorry ass across hell until it inevitably catches up with you...

vermadas

fresquito said:
I have made boosters, and when I'm on the cart, it does the whole circuit. No problems there. The problem comes when you send it alone. Maybe I should try another time, but when I sent it alone, it stopped midway.

I don't think minecarts keep going if they leave the chunk you are in.

kottila

The_Technomancer said:
Looking at it...it looks asleep. Maybe if you disturb it then it awakens and chases your sorry ass across hell until it inevitably catches up with you...

It looks a little like the Boos from Mario

fresquito

vermadas said:
I don't think minecarts keep going if they leave the chunk you are in.
Yeah, that's what I think. However, I think I've finally reached a solution. The thing would be having two powered minecarts, one in the front and one in the back. In between two regular carts. Then you use coal with the powered carts and hop into the first empty cart. The rear powered cart will push the other two (one alone wouldn't work with how I've set my railway), and the first powered cart should prevent your cart from running free while going down.

I still have to try it, but it could work. Not the best solution, though. I wish Notch would allow the combination of redstone and railways to create electric railways that will let you go ahead no matter what.

Vinci

Danish
kottila said:
It looks a little like the Boos from Mario

Notch has mentioned Boos in the past. That he wanted a mob that would only move when you weren't looking at it. Wonder if the ghast is that mob? But he said that the ghast was the most unfair ever, and that seems pretty easy to get around by comparison...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Vinci said:
Notch has mentioned Boos in the past. That he wanted a mob that would only move when you weren't looking at it. Wonder if the ghast is that mob? But he said that the ghast was the most unfair ever, and that seems pretty easy to get around by comparison...
Not if they're really fucking fast as soon as you turn your back.

Vinci

Danish
The_Technomancer said:
Not if they're really fucking fast as soon as you turn your back.

Whether it's the ghast or not that is Boo-like, the thing is going to be useless in multiplayer. Someone is always going to be looking at it. :lol

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody know why my friend's private server won't allow anyone to place water or lava blocks? We thought at first it was just due to the attack on Minecraft.net but now I'm wondering if there's a setting or something for that.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I thought they looked like they needed a hug in the leaked pics.

These look more suitably scary :lol

The idea of them sleeping is kind of cool though. If they do sleep. Tip-toeing past them, perhaps, never know when they might wake...

Vinci

Danish
They shoot fireballs and the ground in Hell will burn forever if lit, unless the player douses it.

Yup. Hell isn't a vacation spot. Damn.

WedgeX

Banned
Vinci said:

Weeping Angles?! Argh.

gofreak said:
The idea of them sleeping is kind of cool though. If they do sleep. Tip-toeing past them, perhaps, never know when they might wake...

Yeah that would be cool. Otherwise they seem a little too overpowered. Even for minecraft.

Vinci

Danish
Pinko Marx said:
Yeah that would be cool. Otherwise they seem a little too overpowered. Even for minecraft.

I believe Notch mentioned that he's never actually killed one. And honestly, I think the ghasts being overpowered is a good thing; otherwise, Hell wouldn't be special or dangerous, it'd just be another map to build on. Which yes, is great - but what's the point of offering more of the same with a different color palette?

Vinci said:
I believe Notch mentioned that he's never actually killed one. And honestly, I think the ghasts being overpowered is a good thing; otherwise, Hell wouldn't be special or dangerous, it'd just be another map to build on. Which yes, is great - but what's the point of offering more of the same with a different color palette?

I agree that they should be hard as balls, but theres a certain threshold between hard and just plain annoying. I want to be able to actually accomplish things in Hell and not be running for my life the entire time.
And he says he has killed one, just not without a bow.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Notch needs to add in a cave dwelling doppelgänger, with a very rare chance of spawning, that can take on the form of any block. If you hit it while trying to mine, it 'wakes up', and you're suitably fucked.

Also, fuck hell.

Blizzard

Banned
EatChildren said:
Notch needs to add in a cave dwelling doppelgänger, with a very rare chance of spawning, that can take on the form of any block. If you hit it while trying to mine, it 'wakes up', and you're suitably fucked.
Giant mimic attacked!

The worst thing about the ghasts is that not only do they look scary, and not only did Notch change them to make immune to fire, but you know that there may be some horribly creepy sounds and music to go along with it. ;___;

MNC

Damn, needs obsidian. 10 blocks for a regular portal. 20 if you even want to travel to another spot D:

This will be totally sweet though. Hell will turn into some kind of hub location for me then. Maybe you'll even have a few people guarding the hubs from Ghasts :D

Vinci

Danish
Pinko Marx said:
I agree that they should be hard as balls, but theres a certain threshold between hard and just plain annoying. I want to be able to actually accomplish things in Hell and not be running for my life the entire time.

I think it's a matter of intensity, though, and how much people want to show off. You know that once Hell has a fearsome reputation, due to the Ghast and whatever else, the most hardcore people are going to want to set up massive castles and structures there just to show that they kick ass. Look what happens already whenever someone reveals that they built their stuff in Peaceful rather than a higher difficulty.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Pinko Marx said:
I kind of like the idea, much how I kind of like how creepers are overpowered. This isn't really a game about balance, it's about exploration and the resultant consequences. Outside of plopping you down in the middle of the day instead of the night when you start, you're basically facing everything you can possibly face in the game from the moment you are plopped down without a thing in some foreign world. A 16x move advantage SHOULD come with a pretty damn heavy risk. It's going to suck collecting whatever you need for lanterns, though.

Of course, there's always peaceful difficulty if it's that bad. ::shrug::

MNC said:
Damn, needs obsidian. 7 blocks for a regular portal. 14 if you even want to travel to another spot D:

This will be totally sweet though. Hell will turn into some kind of hub location for me then. Maybe you'll even have a few people guarding the hubs from Ghasts :D

The fact that it needs obsidian is a little disappointing. Thats a hard material to get a hold of, diamond isn't easy to come by. But it makes sense; Obsidian finally has a use that makes it worth mining for, and the ability to travel to Hell should be something that is not easily obtained.

Ferrio

Banned
Pinko Marx said:
The fact that it needs obsidian is a little disappointing. Thats a hard material to get a hold of, diamond isn't easy to come by. But it makes sense; Obsidian finally has a use that makes it worth mining for, and the ability to travel to Hell should be something that is not easily obtained.

Obsidian is easy to make.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Pinko Marx said:
Somebody introduced me to a way to get obsidian that doesn't need diamond picks a page or two back: basically just build a mold out of stone, put the lava in the mold, and build it that way. Have to do one level at a time (which would take a little while to accomplish), so the practicality of this in hell depends on the frequency of ghasts, but overall it's much better than diamond picking it IMO.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Monroeski said:
I kind of like the idea, much how I kind of like how creepers are overpowered. This isn't really a game about balance, it's about exploration and the resultant consequences. Outside of plopping you down in the middle of the day instead of the night when you start, you're basically facing everything you can possibly face in the game from the moment you are plopped down without a thing in some foreign world. A 16x move advantage SHOULD come with a pretty damn heavy risk. It's going to suck collecting whatever you need for lanterns, though.

Of course, there's always peaceful difficulty if it's that bad. ::shrug::
Creepers aren't overpowered though. They are pretty easy to kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom