• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
The article says the reddish colored rock that makes up the majority of hell is a material that burns forever unless doused. Pretty sure that's what we need for lanterns, and it seems pretty abundant as long as you can survive while you get your stash. :lol

This is going to be so fucking awesome.

Vinci said:

Monroeski said:
Somebody introduced me to a way to get obsidian that doesn't need diamond picks a page or two back: basically just build a mold out of stone, put the lava in the mold, and build it that way. Have to do one level at a time (which would take a little while to accomplish), so the practicality of this in hell depends on the frequency of ghasts, but overall it's much better than diamond picking it IMO.

The pussy way, instead of mining out the obsidian by hand near blazing hot lava, you mold it out like its some pottery project or something.
I'm a man, dammit. This ain't art class. Its Minecraft.

HappyBivouac said:
The article says the reddish colored rock that makes up the majority of hell is a material that burns forever unless doused. Pretty sure that's what we need for lanterns, and it seems pretty abundant as long as you can survive while you get your stash. :lol

This is going to be so fucking awesome.

Well that woud be silly. So those who don't have access to obsidian yet are just SOL? That means when you start a new world, your house is useless because the torches will just go out and you'd walk back there to find that some creepers have taken up residence.

Vinci

Danish
Pinko Marx said:
The pussy way, instead of mining out the obsidian by hand near blazing hot lava, you mold it out like its some pottery project or something.
I'm a man, dammit. This ain't art class. Its Minecraft.

And any manufacturer should want something that's far more efficient and sustainable. I don't consider myself a miner as much as a manufacturer and engineer when playing this thing. I mean, yes, I mine a lot - but only for the resources I need. Any method to help me garner those resources that saves time, keeps me healthy, and is easily repeatable is a good thing.

YMMV. But it has nothing to do with 'pussy.'

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Pinko Marx said:
Well yeah if you do it the pussy way.

Yeah. But, the thing is, my friend doesn't know how to adequately make obsidian. He's a numpty though, so if anybody wants to explain how to make more than a block at a time, he - my friend - would love it.

WanderingWind said:
Yeah. But, the thing is, my friend doesn't know how to adequately make obsidian. He's a numpty though, so if anybody wants to explain how to make more than a block at a time, he - my friend - would love it.

Monroeski said:
Somebody introduced me to a way to get obsidian that doesn't need diamond picks a page or two back: basically just build a mold out of stone, put the lava in the mold, and build it that way. Have to do one level at a time (which would take a little while to accomplish), so the practicality of this in hell depends on the frequency of ghasts, but overall it's much better than diamond picking it IMO.

Vinci

Danish
WanderingWind said:
So, you make the mold, fill it with lava and then dump water on it? Holy...

Yeah. One step at a time. It's time-consuming, but then the alternative isn't exactly expedient either.

Quixzlizx

It would be cool if you could add lava buckets to armor recipes to make fire-resistant/proof armor. Maybe force it to be gold so it finally has an in-game use.

Pinko Marx said:
Well that woud be silly. So those who don't have access to obsidian yet are just SOL? That means when you start a new world, your house is useless because the torches will just go out and you'd walk back there to find that some creepers have taken up residence.

1) You don't know how long torches will last.
2) Finding that my torches have gone out and some creepers have taken up residence would be a horrifically awesome dream come true. I would love that.
3) If you can't get yourself some Obsidian, either by making a diamond pick or by doing it the "pussy way" as you so elegantly referred to it, within a few hours of starting your world, then you kind of suck at Minecraft.

Ferrio

Banned
People who built their houses out of obsidian are going to come home to a nasty surprise.
Ya i know you gotta light the entrance on fire...

Vinci

Danish
HappyBivouac said:
2) Finding that my torches have gone out and some creepers have taken up residence would be a horrifically awesome dream come true. I would love that.
3) If you can't get yourself some Obsidian, either by making a diamond pick or by doing it the "pussy way" as you so elegantly referred to it, within a few hours of starting your world, then you kind of suck at Minecraft.

To be fair, new people to the game are going to find it very difficult once some of these changes take place.

mollipen

HappyBivouac said:

Let's be fair here: some people actually want to play the game without reading about how to make everything on the internet. So, making that kind of blanket statement isn't really fair.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
BobsRevenge said:
Creepers aren't overpowered though. They are pretty easy to kill.
Compared to everything else they are IMO. Zombies and spiders are on the low end of the totem pole, since skeletons at least have projectiles. In a straight up fight, I'd probably rather fight a creeper than a skeleton, since the skeleton will be getting damage in regardless, but what makes the creepers the worst IMO is that you don't hear them coming and they're a OHKO a lot of the time.

shidoshi said:
Let's be fair here: some people actually want to play the game without reading about how to make everything on the internet. So, making that kind of blanket statement isn't really fair.

He was really assuming you already knew how to get obsidian in the context of getting to the new area. If you know enough about the game to be at the point where you are looking to make a door of obsidian and set it on fire to get to hell, you should damn well know enough about Minecraft to be able to find lava without too much trouble. :D

Vinci said:
To be fair, new people to the game are going to find it very difficult once some of these changes take place.
Definitely. Better get good at finding coal really quick. :D

HappyBivouac said:

1) Doesn't matter how long they last, they're temporary, which means you always run the risk of them going out.
2) No...No its not. I consider my house the one place I can be safe and not have to worry about shit. I WOULD NOT like to walk in and have to deal with creepers or any other kind of mob.
3) Well now you're just being a jerk.

ZZMitch

I am guessing those yellow blocks seen in the first hell picture from a week or so back (PC gamer calls them Australium) are what you need to make lanterns.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
GC|Simon said:
Thanks! Some more pictures:

/pics/

I know, my castle isn't very impressive. However, there was never a rebuild or something like that. This was my base from the beginning and it's getting bigger and bigger.

Looks alright, albeit a bit blockier than it looked from afar. I've been playing it for some time now and I've got almost nothing to show for it :). Been mostly digging around, trying out the different mechanics. I am building a tower of sorts, but I don't think I want to post any pictures of it just yet.

Ferrio

Banned
Pinko Marx said:
1) Doesn't matter how long they last, they're temporary, which means you always run the risk of them going out.
2) No...No its not. I consider my house the one place I can be safe and not have to worry about shit. I WOULD NOT like to walk in and have to deal with creepers or any other kind of mob.

Then put your game to passive or whatever. Seriously the game needs a kick in the pants in the difficulty department and this is a good change. You should have to upkeep your home/base. I don't understand this whining about torches at all.

ZZMitch

Pinko Marx said:
Then put it on peaceful and stop complaining, for most people the game is too easy.

ZZMitch said:
Then put it on peaceful and stop complaining, for most people the game is too easy.

Ferrio said:
Then put your game to passive or whatever. Seriously the game needs a kick in the pants in the difficulty department and this is a good change. You should have to upkeep your home/base. I don't understand this whining about torches at all.

No thats dumb too, you guys are dumb.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I don't really see the game as being too easy or hard. If you're prepared its easy enough, but you sort of have to play it safe. But its not like you can go adventuring all night and expect to not be fucked, or rush into a combat situation and expect to live.

WanderingWind

Ferrio said:

ZZMitch said:

This is a pretty annoying attitude, to be honest. This seems to be the knee-jerk reaction anytime somebody says "Hey, this would be a cool change." Sure, some people like to whine about every change/challenge, but saying this in response isn't any better.

We're getting to the point where long-term Minecraft players are starting to get a little assholish in their responses to things. It's so unnecessary for such a peaceful little game.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I'm kind of ambivalent towards all the new changes. Part of the appeal of Minecraft was its extremely simplistic design. It was VERY basic, but you could then take those basics, and do with it whatever you wanted. Adding in a Hell fast-travel system powered by obsidian portals, and requiring dimensional swapping in order to make lanterns... it ruins the "elegance" of a Minecraft play session, somewhat.

Also, I'm curious about how Hell will work as a fast-travel system. Let's say you want to create two very spread-out bases. So you make a portal at each. When you hop into hell, how will you know where your other portal is? I guess you could make a safe tunnel between them. But it seems like the initial portal jumping will be disorienting.

Ferrio

Banned
WanderingWind said:
This is a pretty annoying attitude, to be honest. This seems to be the knee-jerk reaction anytime somebody says "Hey, this would be a cool change." Sure, some people like to whine about every change/challenge, but saying this in response isn't any better.

We're getting to the point where long-term Minecraft players are starting to get a little assholish in their responses to things. It's so unnecessary for such a peaceful little game.

I'm just annoyed that the creator is adding stuff to the game and people are up in arms about it. They should be celebrating, not bitching about new content. If the change truly does annoy them, then setting to passive pretty much what they'll have to do. The response to these changes is so similiar to MMO players when they're class gets nerfed, it's stupid.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Vinci said:
Re-quoting since I came up with something else to add.

The game will get a difficulty boost, but along with that will come a need to simply adapt faster. The early game kind of follows the old school NES "you'll die a lot and it's not necessarily a bad thing" type gameplay. Everyone will run across a random creeper or skeleton, or have their torches go out; the key will be how soon they figure out to make a moat or build a high platform that the mobs can't reach. May have to spend a few nights on a 20x1 tower of dirt praying for the morning. :D

BobsRevenge

I think the added dimension is awesome, but what the game really needs is an expanded crafting system. Maybe adding another tier and being able to use red stone and other materials together to create things like water pumps or something. Like, just things that allow you to create more stuff and expand on the building aspect.

Whats in there is kind of random. Like... books? Bookshelves? Not really any point to that especially, just kind of a weirdly specific decoration. :lol

WanderingWind

Ferrio said:
I'm just annoyed that the creator is adding stuff to the game and people are up in arms about it. They should be celebrating, not bitching about new content.

Okay, well understand that to some people, less is more. I can see not wanting to deal with creepers in your house (though I'm sure if you're smart enough you can figure that out, yes?). It's Minecraft, man. It's the game with no wrong or right way to play, but we've got people saying "maybe you just suck at Minecraft" and talking shit about content that hasn't yet appeared. I just don't think bringing up questions about the new stuff necessitates being told to put it on easy and to STFU. They're legitimate concerns, IMO.

Ferrio said:
I'm just annoyed that the creator is adding stuff to the game and people are up in arms about it. They should be celebrating, not bitching about new content. If the change truly does annoy them, then setting to passive pretty much what they'll have to do. The response to these changes is so similiar to MMO players when they're class gets nerfed, it's stupid.

I'm not bitching about the torch/latern change. I was bitching about HappyBiovulac's idea of using Hell blocks to make laterns.

Tobor said:
I was told before that existing torches will become lanterns when the update hits. Is that no longer the case?

Its still the case.

Vinci

Danish
Monroeski said:
Re-quoting since I came up with something else to add.

The game will get a difficulty boost, but along with that will come a need to simply adapt faster. The early game kind of follows the old school NES "you'll die a lot and it's not necessarily a bad thing" type gameplay. Everyone will run across a random creeper or skeleton, or have their torches go out; the key will be how soon they figure out to make a moat or build a high platform that the mobs can't reach. May have to spend a few nights on a 20x1 tower of dirt praying for the morning. :D

Well, admittedly, multiplayer could help this area. They log onto a server and people are like, "Oh, you're new? Here's what you need to know." Or at least that's what I'm hoping will happen, though history seems to suggest they'll probably just go, "Noob? GTFO."

ZZMitch

Pinko Marx said:
I'm not bitching about the torch/latern change. I was bitching about HappyBiovulac's idea of using Hell blocks to make laterns.

Its still the case.
Its not an idea, notch said on his twitter you may need to go into hell in order to build lanters

Monroeski said:
Anybody know why my friend's private server won't allow anyone to place water or lava blocks? We thought at first it was just due to the attack on Minecraft.net but now I'm wondering if there's a setting or something for that.
Multiplayer is farther behind in development that single player. That issue is a bug that affects all multiplayer servers right now, just like the minecarts not working in multi. fingers crossed that a fix is included in the big update.

Tobor

ZZMitch said:
Its not an idea, notch said on his twitter you may need to go into hell in order to build lanters

So we still don't know what the mats for lanterns will be? It's still undecided?

Vinci

Danish
And to address some concerns, I'd like to mention that Notch has said that if the torch change ends up not being fun or adding to the game in the way he intends, he'll change it. So I don't think it's too much to worry about at the moment. Just have to see how it works once it goes live.

ZZMitch

Tobor said:
Thanks. Sorry for the stupid questions, I haven't been keeping up and my game is on hold until after the update.
Its fine :D

And yeah, I'm on minecraft hiatus until the update except I am going to start a whole new world when it hits.

ZZMitch said:

And yeah, I'm on minecraft hiatus until the update except I am going to start a whole new world when it hits.

Same here, cept I have a world generated and ready for me. I was gunna play on it until the update was announced. I am excite cause the terrain is some of the most awesome I've seen yet.

Stitch

Gold Member
oh crap, i thought my mine was safe but i just found a skeleton and i can hear a spider somewhere FUUUUUUU

scary game is scary

BobsRevenge

ZZMitch said:

If the torches are turning into lanterns then wouldn't you want to kick your minecraft ass into overdrive to get in as many as you can before you have to go to hell for it? :lol :lol

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
BoDty.jpg

Friend and I are working on a stargate, proportions are off and everything atm.. and you can't use red dust on multiplayer.. but when you can it'll be all ready to go! (well thats the plan)

Tobor

BobsRevenge said:
If the torches are turning into lanterns then wouldn't you want to kick your minecraft ass into overdrive to get in as many as you can before you have to go to hell for it? :lol :lol

True, but I needed a break anyway.

Jasoco

Banned
GC|Simon said:
I am so impressed and inspired. I can't wait to get the update and start a new world. Hopefully I'll find a high cliff. I have always wanted to build a huge bridge. Like something out of SOTC and ICO.

If you set a fire, does it burn indefinitely? What do you set on fire? Wood?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom