• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow just found loads of diamond ore in my under-house cavern :D also constructed a moat which has caught a Skelly and also now has a SSSSS ting floating in it but i dare not get near to kill as if it blows it will take out half my mansion lol

Haunted

Ferrio said:
People who built their houses out of obsidian are going to come home to a nasty surprise.
:lol

"Oh one second honey, I'll just go fetch something from the kitchen real qui- OH SHIII-"

Fixed1979

Still pretty early into my game. Made my first iron armor last night; diamond sword...good to go. There's a cave system I want to explore, it's fucking huge and I've gotten completely lost in there before and also gotten my ass killed in there before. I have a set of stairs from my basement to bedrock. Before I went cave exploring I wanted to make sure I knew where 0 level because the new mine I was working on wasn't turning in the ore I thought it should. I dug a bit around the bedrock trying to ensure that I couldn't dig any further, and at this point if you hadn't already guessed it I did end up uncovering a void and falling through it...loosing everything.

I was pissed, not rage quit pissed but pissed enough to grab whatever I had left over to make a new diamond sword and off I went directly to the cave. After exploring for an hour or so I ended up getting completely lost and then dying, once again loosing everything else I took with me and all the shit I had collected.

TL;DR - Went exploring, died, lost my stuff. Got rest of my stuff went exploring, died, lost my stuff.

Any tips for exploring caves and not getting your ass lost? This thing is fucking huge I'm sick of getting killed in there. How do you guys ensure you don't get lost in a new cave?

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Fixed1979 said:
TL;DR - Went exploring, died, lost my stuff. Got rest of my stuff went exploring, died, lost my stuff.

Any tips for exploring caves and not getting your ass lost? This thing is fucking huge I'm sick of getting killed in there. How do you guys ensure you don't get lost in a new cave?

Make signs, Use torchs as a sign, Build block structures as signs.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Haunted said:

"Oh one second honey, I'll just go fetch something from the kitchen real qui- OH SHIII-"
Iyx00.jpg

pirata

I've still got a few questions before I cave in (har har) and get the game:

1. I know that Minecraft has a multiplayer and a singleplayer component. However, Notch says that alpha will move into beta once multiplayer is added. What's up with that? What are the differences between the current modes?

2. If I buy it now, will I only be able to install it once? All I have right now is a laptop, but I'm planning on buying/building (gulp) a PC someday. Will I have to rebuy it to buy it on a different system?

I can't decide if I should keep working on my current world or start a new one. Will biomes only be available in newly generated worlds, or is that not known yet?

sorry if this has been asked previously.

I say everyone stop being hipsters and stick with one world. I'm still sporting my first world and have seen everything included in the past updates.

If I have to explore to a new area to find the biomes, so be it. It's all about the journey.

Ferrio

Banned
pirata said:

1. I know that Minecraft has a multiplayer and a singleplayer component. However, Notch says that alpha will move into beta once multiplayer is added. What's up with that? What are the differences between the current modes?

2. If I buy it now, will I only be able to install it once? All I have right now is a laptop, but I'm planning on buying/building (gulp) a PC someday. Will I have to rebuy it to buy it on a different system?

1. What the official status of the build is I don't know. Still says alpha but that's just a name. There's two versions, classic and alpha. Classic is the original lego type game. Alpha is the survival game and has two modes, single and multi. Multi is a lot like single except it's missing some components single (working minecarts, monsters that work correctly etc).

2. You can download it as many times as you want.

JodyAnthony said:
I can't decide if I should keep working on my current world or start a new one. Will biomes only be available in newly generated worlds, or is that not known yet?

No one has said, and we don't even know if they will be in the patch. Just speculation. If it is in the patch it'll probably work like all other new terrain additions. Basically any terrain that already has been generated won't change, but if you walk past those areas and the game generates new blocks then you'll have the new environments.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
JodyAnthony said:

They'll be available in existing worlds, but only in areas you haven't explored yet.

Ferrio said:
No one has said, and we don't even know if they will be in the patch. Just speculation. If it is in the patch it'll probably work like all other new terrain additions. Basically any terrain that already has been generated won't change, but if you walk past those areas and the game generates new blocks then you'll have the new environments.
Notch confirmed that biomes will be on the Halloween patch the day he announced it, and today's PC Gamer article reconfirmed it. It's not speculation.

You got the terrain generation right, though.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
pirata said:

To clarify on point 2, you aren't actually buying the Minecraft client, you're buying your username and password that will allow you to log into any version of Minecraft anywhere. Saves are stored locally for the time being, but I thought I recalled him saying something about cloud saves in the future.

Fixed1979 said:
]

No matter where you are when you start feeling lost, just start digging up in a stair pattern. Don't start trying to find you way back, just dig up. If you have a compass, you should be able to find your way home. Trying to re-navigate the caves and paths you just dug will most likely get you killed, sidetracked, or just straight up lost.

Fixed1979

Pinko Marx said:
No matter where you are when you start feeling lost, just start digging up in a stair pattern. Don't start trying to find you way back, just dig up. If you have a compass, you should be able to find your way home. Trying to re-navigate the caves and paths you just dug will most likely get you killed, sidetracked, or just straight up lost.

That's a good emergency (backup plan idea), of course in my rage last night I didn't notice that I had used my last pick (which help lead to my eventually demise). Everything that could have gone wrong did.

Fixed1979 said:
That's a good emergency (backup plan idea), of course in my rage last night I didn't notice that I had used my last pick (which help lead to my eventually demise). Everything that could have gone wrong did.

Well you just gotta plan better then. If you know you're running low on axepicks, then start digging up. One thing I ALWAYS do is bring a workbench and a few sticks with me, that way you can always make some back axe stone axes, torches, or whatever. Sticks are useful for pretty much anything.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Pinko Marx said:
That's what I do. My cave system makes absolutely no sense and it connects about four or five cave separate systems that I've uncovered, one of those being a dungeon. It's a complete cluster fuck, so if I feel like I'm too lost I dig my way out and make a landmark when I get to the surface. Then I go to a high place and look for one of my other landmarks and eventually I find my bearings. I don't like to take my compass out with me for some reason though. I suppose I want as many slots as I can spare for more iron picks.

Pinko Marx said:
Well you just gotta plan better then. If you know you're running low on axepicks, then start digging up. One thing I ALWAYS do is bring a workbench and a few sticks with me, that way you can always make some back axe stone axes, torches, or whatever. Sticks are useful for pretty much anything.
i only carry a sapling, 1 block of dirt and 10 torches.

anytime i run out of materials i place the dirt, plant the tree, and put torches all around it.
2 days later i have enough wood to build more pickaxes.

auctually im kidding, but this is totally possible.

out0v0rder said:
i only carry a sapling, 1 block of dirt and 10 torches.

anytime i run out of materials i place the dirt, plant the tree, and put torches all around it.
2 days later i have enough wood to build more pickaxes.

auctually im kidding, but this is totally possible.

I like this idea. This is how a real man plays minecraft. Unlike those that like to make obsidian molds.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Do trees actually grow if you watch them long enough?

Not, like, grow grow, but appear as a tree eventually?

trinest said:
When you get it working post some pictures.

Cant get the fire to stop messing up my actual brick textures, everything else works great. Here are some pics.

Castle/Lighthouse
Screenshot2010-10-22at51122PM.png

Great Wall/Great Tree Wall/Lava flow down to the bedrock
Screenshot2010-10-22at51134PM.png

Spawn Location: Home base, connected to the end of the great wall. With a pier and a house built on stands above the water.
Screenshot2010-10-22at51302PM.png

New Vally far off coast, theres also the water forest I planted. You can also see the architecture pieces I built to dark to see the water one but the lava lights up the place.
Screenshot2010-10-22at51331PM.png

Cant seem to get the MCPatcher to fix my brick or animated textures.

Jasoco

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
Do trees actually grow if you watch them long enough?

Not, like, grow grow, but appear as a tree eventually?
They grow. Yes. You could watch them if you want. Just like the grass. But it's randomly created and timed. So it could take a few days. I think they even grow (Trees) if you leave the game quit for a while.

Sciz

Everything about hell sounds incredibly badass. Can't wait to see what I can do with it, and more importantly what other, more creative people do with it. Depending on how ghast spawns work, it's tempting to try sealing off the area between two portals to serve as a self-contained pocket dimension of sorts.

Wonder what happens if you build a portal in hell that comes out in the middle of solid material in reality. As long as you can clear it out, you'd have a heck of a secret base.

Pinko Marx said:
You tried the link I posted?

yeah cant figure out what Im doing wrong. I followed all the steps ect for the life of me I cant get it.

Whenever I select the location of my texture pack the patch button becomes unclickable

Mudkips

Banned
HenryGale said:
yeah cant figure out what Im doing wrong. I followed all the steps ect for the life of me I cant get it.

Whenever I select the location of my texture pack the patch button becomes unclickable

Vista / 7?
Run the thingy as administrator?

Spent a week cultivating a massive forest, leaping from tree to tree putting a redstone torch at the top of each block of trunk, for a pretty and eerie series of red twinkly lights every night, shining through the foliage.

You'll have to take my word that it looked amazing, as the whole thing has just set itself on fucking fire.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Mama Robotnik said:
Spent a week cultivating a massive forest, leaping from tree to tree putting a redstone torch at the top of each block of trunk, for a pretty and eerie series of red twinkly lights every night, shining through the foliage.

You'll have to take my word that it looked amazing, as the whole thing has just set itself on fucking fire.

I only laugh because I had it happen to me the other week with my 3 story house

deleted

Bought it and sank 3 hours strait into the Multiplayer. Is Damage and correct Monster behavior coming in the Halloween patch? I would be so amazing if there was more risk attached to going deeper and exploring the world...

xyla said:
Bought it and sank 3 hours strait into the Multiplayer. Is Damage and correct Monster behavior coming in the Halloween patch? I would be so amazing if there was more risk attached to going deeper and exploring the world...
I'm really hoping so. Damage and proper mobs in multiplayer is one of the main things I've been wanting. Right now multi tends to feel a bit pointless at times.

The halloween update info thingy says multiplayer will be made less buggy and have more working features.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Mama Robotnik said:

I slowly read through this post thinking how awesome it was only to get to the end before i could ask for pics :(

I still need to work on my Bedrock to sky glass tower with massive waterfall. SO much work to do!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Mama Robotnik said:

I'm really sorry, but I think I'm entitled to a laugh in this case considering how many times this game has fucked me up.

I guess you'll be able to burn down the forests the game generates post-Halloween patch in revenge.

Sai-kun

Banned
Hey guys, what are some good graphical addon/mod things? I know about the painterly pack, but are there any other cool ones?

Got lost in this amazingly huge cave for like 45 minutes.

Almost drown? Check.
Almost die in lava? Check.
Almost drown again? Check.
Almost get killed by monsters? Check.

Finally made it out of there after what seemed like forever.

I just wish I could find some damn diamond. Found tons of obsidian and redstone down there, but only a single diamond. I want a diamond pick already.

WedgeX

Banned
I've been playing classic (unemployment does that :| ), and I just discovered the wonders of indoor plumbing powered by gravity, complete with glass pipes :lol

I love the small things. Building things will be even better. Soon.

epmode

HenryGale said:
I really want some big forest and palm trees to be added in. Would add a lot to biomes
That article with the ghast picture mentions that forests and deserts are going to be included in the Halloween patch, unless something changes before then.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I haven't played the game at all in a while. I lost interest. I'm waiting for the multi to play and survive with people .

Helmholtz

Ether_Snake said:
I haven't played the game at all in a while. I lost interest. I'm waiting for the multi to play and survive with people .
Pretty much the same case for me. I have no more interest in multi until it has all the features of single player, and I don't like playing this game by myself.

Ferga

Dug down at least 20 blocks into my mine and haven't found anything except for coal :lol

Ah well at least my world is abundant in clay and gravel... They are seriously everywhere

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Well, so I finally succumbed to the buzz and bought this game tonight.

Hopped into a world, looked around, followed the OP by making some stuff like a wooden mining pick and such. Dug around, staying my first night walled up in a cave after seeing some of those nasty black beasts in the distance.

Second day I built a castle by the sea shore. I don't know how to make glass for windows, so I got really clever and made the windows door-sized, and filled about 6 windows in my little one-room castle with doors for windows.

Night falls. I hear this sound like someone sucking water through a straw. I get scared. I wall myself into a one-square "closet" with a torch up above me for light and pray for dawn. Finally, I bust myself out, and it's still dark.

Something, I don't know what, fills me full of arrows through the tiny window on one of my doors. I die.

Yep, I'm addicted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom