• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ferga said:
Dug down at least 20 blocks into my mine and haven't found anything except for coal :lol

Ah well at least my world is abundant in clay and gravel... They are seriously everywhere
I hate you.

Ive spent countless hours searching and mining gor clay ive only got enough to craft about 250 bricks :(

Yeah, please nobody ask about no-spawn severs for the time being, as right now, there are many things in SMP that are impossible without spawning stuff.

Jasoco

Banned
I want to be able to stack everything that for some reason right now can't be stacked. Like tools, boats, workbenches. Everything should be stackable. There's really no reason to not have them stack, is there?

Jasoco said:
I want to be able to stack everything that for some reason right now can't be stacked. Like tools, boats, workbenches. Everything should be stackable. There's really no reason to not have them stack, is there?
work benches and boats, i see no reason. Tools I'm pretty sure dont stack so that you have to manage inventory space for grabbing loot vs having enough gear on mining runs. If the torches update is any indication of how important the 'survival' aspect is going to be as this game develops, I'd be surprised to see tools stack. I guess maybe boats dont stack by the same logic of, now not-crashing matters more.

Diseased Yak said:
Well, so I finally succumbed to the buzz and bought this game tonight.

Hopped into a world, looked around, followed the OP by making some stuff like a wooden mining pick and such. Dug around, staying my first night walled up in a cave after seeing some of those nasty black beasts in the distance.

Second day I built a castle by the sea shore. I don't know how to make glass for windows, so I got really clever and made the windows door-sized, and filled about 6 windows in my little one-room castle with doors for windows.

Night falls. I hear this sound like someone sucking water through a straw. I get scared. I wall myself into a one-square "closet" with a torch up above me for light and pray for dawn. Finally, I bust myself out, and it's still dark.

Something, I don't know what, fills me full of arrows through the tiny window on one of my doors. I die.

Yep, I'm addicted.

Next time you add a door onto your house, stand outside the structure, instead of inside, to place it. It looks nicer and arrows can be shot through the hole in the door, but only from one side. As it is right now, they can shoot you and you can't shoot them.

-SD-

Banned
JodyAnthony said:
Got lost in this amazingly huge cave for like 45 minutes.

Almost drown? Check.
Almost die in lava? Check.
Almost drown again? Check.
Almost get killed by monsters? Check.

Finally made it out of there after what seemed like forever.
Sounds like you had a good adventure! That's one of the things this game does well.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
TouchMyBox said:
Yeah, please nobody ask about no-spawn severs for the time being, as right now, there are many things in SMP that are impossible without spawning stuff.

Not to mention that instead of spawning stuff, people would just dupe stuff. I think the duping would be a bit harder for Notch to fix.

JoeyX

Neo Member
ZealousD said:
Not to mention that instead of spawning stuff, people would just dupe stuff. I think the duping would be a bit harder for Notch to fix.

Can you still dupe in SMP? Or do you mean throwing a tool and picking it up again to refresh it?

The ghasts look interesting. Can't wait to go to the hell dimension.

You guys were right to laugh at my redstone-torch sparkly forest burning down. It was harsh to see the island from a distance in colossal flames though!

Have learned something from this: if a redstone torch is placed on the top of a wood trunk block, the block can set on fire but will eventually put itself out. It will not burn away, nor will it burn forever.

That's new to me.

thespot84

JoeyX said:
Can you still dupe in SMP? Or do you mean throwing a tool and picking it up again to refresh it?

The ghasts look interesting. Can't wait to go to the hell dimension.

nah because of the lag you can dupe stacks of items in chests.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
I finally lost all my inventory last night. Was digging very carefully and somehow managed to miss a hole i dug falling 20 blocks down into a pit of lava. At that point i didnt want to be pissed so i just turned off minecraft and went to bed :lol

Didnt lose any diamond but probably 64 iron :( + Diamond sword. I was kinda stunned after it all happened thinking i couldnt have done something so stupid.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So I decided to break my "let's no play Minecraft until the patch comes out" rule and here I am, playing the damn game again.

Ok, so, I have my base/mine set on a Hill, with a tower hitting the ceiling of the world just I can see it from afar. It's really nice and okay-ish, but I'm tired of it.

There's another Hill, not TOO far away, that has some interesting rock formations that i'm interested in, but there's a pretty plane stretch of territory between those two hills.

What's the best way to connect them two together, for easy night travel? A suspended bridge sounds cool, but it looks like it would stink up the view. A minecart system, perhaps? What's the minimal inclination needed to achieve full speed (for quick traveling)?

I really don't know how to connect both mountains together.

Vinci

Danish
drizzle said:
So I decided to break my "let's no play Minecraft until the patch comes out" rule and here I am, playing the damn game again.

Ok, so, I have my base/mine set on a Hill, with a tower hitting the ceiling of the world just I can see it from afar. It's really nice and okay-ish, but I'm tired of it.

There's another Hill, not TOO far away, that has some interesting rock formations that i'm interested in, but there's a pretty plane stretch of territory between those two hills.

What's the best way to connect them two together, for easy night travel? A suspended bridge sounds cool, but it looks like it would stink up the view. A minecart system, perhaps? What's the minimal inclination needed to achieve full speed (for quick traveling)?

I really don't know how to connect both mountains together.

So many sky bridges these days, go underground.

mjc

I think I'm gonna do some blasting tonight, I want to elevate my castle by lowering the ground surrounding the mountain it's on.

Just just got around to trying the free browser version

I had the bright idea to play with it while my food was cooking...

now my house smells like smoke and I lost a perfectly good pan since my soup was burned on to it :( :( :(

stupid minecraft

Mudkips

Banned
HamPster PamPster said:

now my house smells like smoke and I lost a perfectly good pan since my soup was burned on to it :( :( :(

stupid minecraft

How does that even work.
It's soup.

Soak the pan in water + soap and then scrape that shit off.
Worst case scenario, spray oven cleaner on it and toss it in the oven at 200 degrees or some such for a few minutes.
It will be fine.

YourMaster

HamPster PamPster said:

stupid minecraft

You should just have put some pork in the oven.

I think they need to rethink the food/health system, as I've not eaten a single thing in my month of playing the game.

Its just so easy to climb up my specially-designed "suicide tower", and chuck myself off it. As its near my spawn point, I just pick up my items and head off. I can never seem to justify carrying around and wasting food.

Now, say you didn't start off at max health and had to eat to get it, that could make a difference.

Tobor

Mama Robotnik said:
I think they need to rethink the food/health system, as I've not eaten a single thing in my month of playing the game.

Its just so easy to climb up my specially-designed "suicide tower", and chuck myself off it. As its near my spawn point, I just pick up my items and head off. I can never seem to justify carrying around and wasting food.

Now, say you didn't start off at max health and had to eat to get it, that could make a difference.

The food becomes really important when you start exploring away from your base.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Mama Robotnik said:

Be adventurous. Start a new game, head off for 15 minutes turning constantly.. get lost! then see how you feel

Mama Robotnik said:

Try being deep down in the middle of a huge cave system, far away from home, with a few skeletons and zombies on your ass and see how you feel then.

Tobor said:
The food becomes really important when you start exploring away from your base.

Pinko Marx said:
Try being deep down in the middle of a huge cave system, far away from home, with a few skeletons and zombies on your ass and see how you feel then.

I've done this, mapped glass tunnels through hollow mountains, made a great hall on the bedrock, even carved a glass temple under the sea. I've defeated three spawn cages and have an extensive tunnel system that intersects three mountains, and have built a bridge over the sea to a new distant continent and tunnelled that too. At the moment I have forty-eight arrowheads from Skeletons I've defeated and 26 gunpowder from creepers.

Still not used any food. When I'm low on health, I just follow my marked path back to the surface, store my minerals, commit suicide, spawn next to my corpse and back down the mines.

Am I do this wrong? I get the storage space wasted on food used on equipment instead.

I mean, suicide is basically free health, far easier than food.

Syth_Blade22 said:
Be adventurous. Start a new game, head off for 15 minutes turning constantly.. get lost! then see how you feel

Not doing this again until the next patch, so biomes are generated.

Agentnibs

The lava is weird in the game. I had a lava fall set on my treehouse castle by the sea which looked awesome at night. The lava was a good 5 or 6 blocks away from anything flammable and even had walls around it to prevent and kinda of disaster. Works beautifully for a good 4 or 5 in game days, but then after returning from a cave to fetch more lava, I come back to see the entire tree portion of my castle burnt up to a crisp.

i hadn't changed anything so how could it have burned?

A part of me thinks it's "him" but I know he doesn't exist....yet! Still I keep running into what looks like man made terrain that I know I didn't make and it's been freaking me the hell out! I kinda hope he never puts "him" in the game. I don't think I could handle it.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I found my first dungeon ever tonight... literally a few meters underneath my spawn point. o_o I was digging around for sand to make into glass, when I heard a whole group of skeletons nearby, then just kept at it and voila.

I could have dealt with the dungeon a bit better though. Initially I tried flooding it but all that did was just annoy the skeletons, so I roughly pinpointed its location from above ground, dug my way down and made a hole big enough to bathe the entire place with light, killing the skellingtons and disabling the spawner.

It was not worth it just to get 11 pieces of string, some iron and three saddles, considering how many times I died. It was dead exciting, though.

Agentnibs said:
The lava is weird in the game. I had a lava fall set on my treehouse castle by the sea which looked awesome at night. The lava was a good 5 or 6 blocks away from anything flammable and even had walls around it to prevent and kinda of disaster. Works beautifully for a good 4 or 5 in game days, but then after returning from a cave to fetch more lava, I come back to see the entire tree portion of my castle burnt up to a crisp.

Did a sheep set itself on fire and run into the tree?

I say it, because last night my epic custom-grown forest (in which I had dug into each tree and put redstone torches for a twinkly eerie effect at night) set itself on fire when the lava was also distant. I journeyed over my continental bridge to see the entire island turned into a fucking inferno.

It still hurts.

SovanJedi said:
It was not worth it just to get 11 pieces of string, some iron and three saddles, considering how many times I died. It was dead exciting, though.

It would be an awesome reward if when a spawncage is exposed to natural light, it spawns good mobs instead of bad.

Ferrio

Banned
SovanJedi said:

You do get to mine the rarest block in game though!

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Ferrio said:
You do get to mine the rarest block in game though!

You say that, but I still haven't found any goddamn Diamond yet. But the mossy Cobblestones do look swanky around my new fireplace.

Tobor

Mama Robotnik said:
I've done this, mapped glass tunnels through hollow mountains, made a great hall on the bedrock, even carved a glass temple under the sea. I've defeated three spawn cages and have an extensive tunnel system that intersects three mountains, and have built a bridge over the sea to a new distant continent and tunnelled that too. At the moment I have forty-eight arrowheads from Skeletons I've defeated and 26 gunpowder from creepers.

Still not used any food. When I'm low on health, I just follow my marked path back to the surface, store my minerals, commit suicide, spawn next to my corpse and back down the mines.

Am I do this wrong? I get the storage space wasted on food used on equipment instead.

Not doing this again until the next patch, so biomes are generated.

Yeah, you're definitely doing it wrong, IMO. I start out on a mission with no less than three grilled pork. Over the course of the mission I use the pork to heal after falling, monsters, whatever. By the time I fill the inventory, I've more than likely used the pork. It's no different than balancing you inventory in any RPG.

Agentnibs

Mama Robotnik said:
Did a sheep set itself on fire and run into the tree?

I say it, because last night my epic custom-grown forest (in which I had dug into each tree and put redstone torches for a twinkly eerie effect at night) set itself on fire when the lava was also distant. I journeyed over my continental bridge to see the entire island turned into a fucking inferno.

It still hurts.

Damn I think you might of figured it out! I do always see sheep and other animals hanging out by the lava...I had no idea that could even happen!

Also I lost my first diamond pickaxe in that lava stream! :(

Glix

Agentnibs said:

A part of me thinks it's "him" but I know he doesn't exist....yet! Still I keep running into what looks like man made terrain that I know I didn't make and it's been freaking me the hell out! I kinda hope he never puts "him" in the game. I don't think I could handle it.

Is it possible that a creeper blew it all to hell?

Haunted

Mama Robotnik said:

You're not doing it wrong per se, but it's probably not the most in-universe way of playing. As I said, there should be a way to regain health in your base without using consumables (crafting a bed with wood/sticks/feathers or something) to limit the effectiveness of suiciding near the spawn.

Bed for in-base, food (bacon, bread, mushroom stew etc.) for when you're out adventuring. You shouldn't have to suicide to gain health.

But yeah, sometimes convenience goes above other concerns, you've got to make concessions. I use the Autocart mod because managing slopes and boosters isn't fun to me when I just want to build some cool railtracks.

Tobor said:
Yeah, you're definitely doing it wrong, IMO. I start out on a mission with no less than three grilled pork. Over the course of the mission I use the pork to heal after falling, monsters, whatever. By the time I fill the inventory, I've more than likely used the pork. It's no different than balancing you inventory in any RPG.

That makes sense. I have a strange aversion against killing the nice mobs though. I'll keep playing my way, even though your approach makes a lot of sense too.

I think the way I rationalise it is by making the couple-of-minute trek to the suicide tower, I'm getting all my health restored for free, and chests for "banking" my items.

Agentnibs said:
Damn I think you might of figured it out! I do always see sheep and other animals hanging out by the lava...I had no idea that could even happen!

Also I lost my first diamond pickaxe in that lava stream! :(

Don't take it as a definite, its a guess. Does anyone know for certain, can mobs-on-fire ignite trees?

Tobor

Mama Robotnik said:
That makes sense. I have a strange aversion against killing the nice mobs though. I'll keep playing my way, even though your approach makes a lot of sense too.

I think the way I rationalise it is by making the couple-of-minute trek to the suicide tower, I'm getting all my health restored for free, and chests for "banking" my items.

Play however you like, that's the beauty of the game. :D

I was just trying to illustrate how the food is definitely useful for me as is. It's balanced well in that area.

More recipes would be nice, though. My eggs are piling up. :lol

Agentnibs

Glix said:
Is it possible that a creeper blew it all to hell?

No that can't be it since at the time I was playing on peaceful.

Mama Robotnik said:
Don't take it as a definite, its a guess. Does anyone know for certain, can mobs-on-fire ignite trees?

:/ well perhaps it's just a glitch then? The tree blocks wouldn't burn away either, they just burned forever until I eventually put them all out.

Because I need to show it to someone:

underwatersamc.jpg

My sanctuary under the sea, finally complete and secure.

When I finally finished it, I left to get some torches, walking back in it had become a monster pit filled with a shitton of them. You could even swim down and see them through the glass.

Lost a few lives clearing the bastards out.

randomwab

Beautiful. Out of interest, did you have to dig down into the water? I mean, the water close to my base is only about two blocks deep. I'd love to make something like this myself. Only problem is, I've just switched to the 3D Dot Game Heroes skins which are lovely for readability, but they make it hard to see through water.

owlbeak

I don't know who the fuck pxleyes is, but you're an asshole for building a wall around my island and then posting a sign that says "i'm taking this island thanx". That's not how it works. >:[

Not cool, dude.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Horsebite said:
I don't know who the fuck pxleyes is, but you're an asshole for building a wall around my island and then posting a sign that says "i'm taking this island thanx". That's not how it works. >:[

Not cool, dude.

LOL!! You should build another wall around his and put a sign up of your own.

Mama Robotnik said:
Because I need to show it to someone:

underwatersamc.jpg

My sanctuary under the sea, finally complete and secure.

When I finally finished it, I left to get some torches, walking back in it had become a monster pit filled with a shitton of them. You could even swim down and see them through the glass.

Lost a few lives clearing the bastards out.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

I want to do that!

owlbeak

Guys - I have built a community tree farm over on my little island (which was reclaimed with help from others and with a little island expansion help from xVladx)! There are around ~64 trees here.

[Just fyi in case anyone wonders, I'm using Doku's RPG Texture pack 64x64]

farm.jpg

farm2.jpg

And to give you some sort of perspective of its location...here's a Panorama taken from El Beefo's giant Tree House near the power plant. From this perspective I am looking back towards the spawn area, power plant is just off screen on the right of the image:

pano.jpg

Feel free to cut trees down if you need wood, just PLEASE replant with a sapling immediately. Only replant in the pre-planted rows and spaces (I tried to give each tree a 3x3 space to grow). If you cut down an entire tree trunk, please remove the rest of the leaves for that tree if possible. And if you get saplings from removing trees but all the planting spots are filled, please place the excess saplings in the storage trunk inside a cabin at the back of the tree farm. There's also a furnace and workbench in there for your convenience.

Enjoy!

Jasoco

Banned
That's pretty cool. I hope to do something like that if I am able to find an ocean deep enough when the update comes out. I also plan on making a castle on top of a mountain with a huge stone sky bridge and giant stairways to the top and towers and all kinds of shit.

When the update comes out.

I hope I can find a landform good enough for it. It'll need a big wide river/ocean near a huge cliff.

Irish

I need to buy this before the Halloween update just so I can make a ton of torches to become everlasting lanterns.

How does the classic version compare to the Alpha version in regards to performance? I have a shitty computer (real shitty-integrated graphics), but the classic version manages to have a relatively decent framerate. Is it more stable in the pay-game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom