• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

owlbeak

maniac-kun said:
finished the first version of my portal to hell shrine:
Bird%20Shocked.gif

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Almost done with the castle fortress of dooooooom! Just a few more touches here and there and I need to finish the wall
Screenshot2010-10-24at60945PM.png

Next project will be a spaceship for me to smite my enemies with.
Screenshot2010-10-24at61007PM.png

I thought about cheating and using an editor...but it just feels wrong.

Fusebox

Banned
Monroeski said:
I kind of like how creepers are overpowered.

Yeah I agree. Creepers are the worst (best) imo because they can take out hours worth of construction if they blow up. That's far scarier to me than death.

siddx

Fusebox said:
Yeah I agree. Creepers are the worst (best) imo because they can take out hours worth of construction if they blow up. That's far scarier to me than death.

I actually hate the skeletons more. I never carry my bows with me so I end up having to jump and weave my way towards them as they fill my ass up with arrows. But even worse is when you come across caves and some skeleton is hiding right behind the entrance just nailing you in the damn head everytime you try to get inside.

deleted

I tried the Single player out and it sucked me right in. First thing I did was digging as deep as I could. I found a bit gold and a lot of cole, but the coolest thing about that mine was the fact, that I dug under a lake and had a waterfall that was going right through my tunnels. Managed to block it out in time and from now on I could choose if I walk down or simple jup into the water and dive into my mine.

Then I looked around a bit and decided to build a tower. Was experimenting a bit with glass and wood, as I am still getting to know the game. As my spawn point is in the middle of a lot of little islands and plateaus, I was not really getting attacked by mobs, because they couldn't make it across the lake until the morning. I could build by day and by night for about a week without a problem until a skeleton managed to reach me and killed me while I was trying to flee.. Let me get this right: First I fled and died, and when I came back in the morning, the skeleton was still there, swimming in the water, not burning, but shooting arrows at me. Tried to get it on land, so it would catch fire, lost sight of it and by the next second it was gone... To fast to have burned, but it also couldn't have drowned, could it?
So this is my first "real" building":

33ti82x.png

w0575j.png

qnofg6.png

2i1mgck.png

I want to add a lava-fall that goes into the ocean. Is something like that possible to build? And I want to use a kind of eternal fire on top of the tower, how do I make one?

siddx said:
I actually hate the skeletons more. I never carry my bows with me so I end up having to jump and weave my way towards them as they fill my ass up with arrows. But even worse is when you come across caves and some skeleton is hiding right behind the entrance just nailing you in the damn head everytime you try to get inside.

I concur, I find creepers fairly easy (unless they surprise me), but skeletons routinely kick my ass if I don't have a bow - I really hope Notch adds shields in the future, it'd make approaching a skeleton a hell of a lot easier.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
With all that wood, just keep in mind that any fire you start has to be 4 blocks away from the wood. Fire can jump up to 3 blocks to set shit on fire.

WanderingWind said:
With all that wood, just keep in mind that any fire you start has to be 4 blocks away from the wood. Fire can jump up to 3 blocks to set shit on fire.

Would encasing the lava/fire in glass stop nearby blocks from burning?

Blizzard

Banned
Bootaaay said:
No. People set their houses on fire because of lava inside a fireplace or something. It can go like 2 blocks diagonally (3?!) through solid stone, apparently.

siddx

Bootaaay said:
I think so. I burnt down my entire underground forest because I tried to make a lava waterfall around the edges and I put it too close. I turn around and all my trees are on fire. Horror.

Oyashiro

It would be nice if the OP included stuff on skinning the game. I would like to do it but have no idea where to start. Also, what program do you guys use to get that overview look of the whole world? That's some pretty neat stuff there.

So yeah, I'm totally hooked now. I started not really liking it, and I kept getting killed like every 5 minutes. I couldn't find any resources anywhere, either. So I started a new world and did a lot better. I put it on peaceful, which is really helping out in the beginning. Also, I was playing at like 1AM last night and found a HUUUUUUGE cave with a gigantic lavafall outside. I stayed up until 2:30ish exploring it and still haven't gone through it all. Pretty awesome stuff :D

WanderingWind

Bootaaay said:

Okay, it seems to be fine if you do it. I did 2 experiments, one where I encased the fire in glass and one where I encased a block of wood in glass near the fire. Neither times did the fire jump through the glass.

Blizzard

Banned
WanderingWind said:
Okay, it seems to be fine if you do it. I did 2 experiments, one where I encased the fire in glass and one where I encased a block of wood in glass near the fire. Neither times did the fire jump through the glass.
Weird, maybe glass works but stone does not. I'm almost positive lava could go through stone to set things on fire. Or do you mean just fire by itself?

WanderingWind

Blizzard said:
Weird, maybe glass works but stone does not. I'm almost positive lava could go through stone to set things on fire. Or do you mean just fire by itself?

Well, glass seems to work in all cases. In my house I have the following:

LLLGW
LLLGW
LLLGW
GGGW

And I even have an opening (it's my waste disposal pit) and nothing has happened.

Bootaaay said:

lavalamps.jpg

I've been lighting up the lands surrounding my hub with these, ahem, "lava lamps". They're five blocks glass and one blob lava. They do a nifty job of spawning lots of nice mobs for wool etc, and prevent the nasty ones from appearing at night.

Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that lava's igniting power passes through glass when, walking away from the sealed lamp, it set a tree on fire.

I've positioned them more carefully now.

WanderingWind

Mama Robotnik said:
To the clipboard? I don't think they save as a file.

Okay, bear with me. I'm good at guns, food and women. Computers confuse and frighten me. What's the clipboard? How is everybody posting pics from the game?

Blizzard

Banned
WanderingWind said:
Okay, bear with me. I'm good at guns, food and women. Computers confuse and frighten me. What's the clipboard? How is everybody posting pics from the game?
If you try the free version of Fraps (http://www.fraps.com/), you can press a button to automatically save BMP pictures to a folder. You'd have to open them and convert them to another format like JPG before you upload them to the internet, so that might be too much work for you though. Or you could just buy the full version of Fraps and it'll convert them for you.

WanderingWind

Blizzard said:
If you try the free version of Fraps (http://www.fraps.com/), you can press a button to automatically save BMP pictures to a folder. You'd have to open them and convert them to another format like JPG before you upload them to the internet, so that might be too much work for you though. Or you could just buy the full version of Fraps and it'll convert them for you.

Photo work I get. I can do that. Check the Photoshop icon I didn't bother to crop out of my image. Thanks though! :D

WanderingWind said:

:lol Might be one of the best quotes I'll ever remember.

gotee12

So after years of making up excuses, Minecraft is the game that has finally convinced me to invest in a gaming class desktop.

Not playing Guild Wars at low res and hating it, not missing out on awesome Steam sale after Steam sale, not giving up on LotRO because I couldn't stand the low frame rate on my laptop, not missing out on a ton of multiplat games that obviously run better and were made for PC. No, an indie game made up of a ton of pixelated blocks. This is what's convinced me to finally buy a gaming rig.

Bravo Notch, bravo. You've single-handedly accomplished in me what numerous huge dev teams before could not...

WanderingWind

I can't imagine that Minecraft won't go down in history as one of the best games ever created. It's certainly one of the best I've played in 30 years. And it's only getting better.

Preparing for th ebig update. Lit up my entire area have lots of torches placed and made.

Now seeing how portals are made, I'm sure glad I made this over the course of my game. I have another Lava chamber in my other castle as well.

Screenshot2010-10-24at90343PM.png

Over 140 in that room alone ready for bucketing. :)

pirata

I spawned in a snowy world, it began to get dark, I went into a hole in the ground, and there's something slithering and firing arrows at me. Gulp. Should I have set the difficulty to easy?

EDIT: Just got killed. Lovely.

EDIT: AND AGAIN. This time I was out in the open, digging a hole in the dirt, when an arrow-firing skeleton and that green guy you guys are all scared of came for me. I need to make a hiding place...

pirata said:
I spawned in a snowy world, it began to get dark, I went into a hole in the ground, and there's something slithering and firing arrows at me. Gulp. Should I have set the difficulty to easy?

No!

If you can survive the first night, you can survive anything. Just concentrate on making a shelter out of any shit you can find, dirt, wood, and survive till next morning. Then find some coal on the outer edges of a cavern or rocky wall, ideally without going too deep. With coal you can make fire, and then become master of this hostile, bitter world.

And, for the love of god, don't go into a deep deep cavern without a torch. There are things down there that want to eat/detonate/hurt/hump you.

pirata

IT KEEPS RESPAWNING ME IN THE SAME SPOT WITH ALL THOSE MONSTERS. OH BUDDHA.

I've managed to run away, hearing explosions behind me, and have cacooned myself into the earth. I guess I have to wait out until morning...

EDIT: I broke a hole in the dirt, and it's morning! YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

kennah said:
And due to some bug or another, easy spawns more monsters than normal.

Hilarious surprise I think.

Hopefully he fixes that, so no players whom dont find this out too late quit the game or only play one peaceful

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
pirata said:
IT KEEPS RESPAWNING ME IN THE SAME SPOT WITH ALL THOSE MONSTERS. OH BUDDHA.

I've managed to run away, hearing explosions behind me, and have cacooned myself into the earth. I guess I have to wait out until morning...

EDIT: I broke a hole in the dirt, and it's morning! YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

The green dudes (creepers) are still there in the day after they have spawned, watch out!

Your shelter should be a house with a 2x2x2 hole all around it, so monsters that spawn at night will come and fall into it, so at least in the morning you should be able to go out without being attacked right away.

Fusebox

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Your shelter should be a house with a 2x2x2 hole all around it, so monsters that spawn at night will come and fall into it, so at least in the morning you should be able to go out without being attacked right away.

My house just has lots of windows and multiple exits so I can avoid the waiting crowds.

pirata

Found a cave by a huge mountain with a waterfall. I think I may use it as shelter. Maybe I'll take a screeshot of things...

(Sorry, if I'm spamming the thread, but everything is so new and imposing to me...)

EDIT: I've enclosed myself into the little cave. I tried to make some of those holes you were talking about, but I could only make a few before the sun set. How can I tell when it's day again?

WanderingWind

I have a pit that I bait them into. Then, in the morning, I dump lava on their hateful little heads. I only wish I could mount their heads on pikes to warn their little friends.

WanderingWind said:
I have a pit that I bait them into. Then, in the morning, I dump lava on their hateful little heads. I only wish I could mount their heads on pikes to warn their little friends.

Awesome strategy.

I've been taking a bucket of lava into new caverns as part of my standard kit, and take great pleasure dumping it on anything that even thinks about trying to eat/explode/hump me.

Its also great to let a small flow travel down the sloping caverns, lighting the terrain and clearing the path.

Jasoco

Banned
SovanJedi said:
I think it's a per-

Wait WHAT?! ...What?

The... the number of times I've fallen off of my mud bridge putting blocks on the edges of them...

*Cries*
I know! I know! I literally just found out how sneaking worked yesterday while watching those X videos. I never knew it kept you from falling! I thought it just made you move slower! Geeze!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom