• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
pirata said:
Found a cave by a huge mountain with a waterfall. I think I may use it as shelter. Maybe I'll take a screeshot of things...

(Sorry, if I'm spamming the thread, but everything is so new and imposing to me...)

EDIT: I've enclosed myself into the little cave. I tried to make some of those holes you were talking about, but I could only make a few before the sun set. How can I tell when it's day again?

If you made a house outside you can leave the roof open. Eventually if you make a oven and have some sand you can make glass.

WanderingWind said:
I have a pit that I bait them into. Then, in the morning, I dump lava on their hateful little heads. I only wish I could mount their heads on pikes to warn their little friends.

I just attack them with my sword from above. They can't hit me. Then I collect the loot.

pirata

Just climbed to the top of the mountain. This place is huge! I could get lost so easily!

I am making a lot of headway, though. There's a large deposit of coal in and outside of my cave, so I have lots of torches now! And I have a door, a chest, and a smelter (not sure how it works, but whatever)! I need to find some way to make my shelter more viewable, though...

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
pirata said:
Just climbed to the top of the mountain. This place is huge! I could get lost so easily!

I am making a lot of headway, though. There's a large deposit of coal in and outside of my cave, so I have lots of torches now! And I have a door, a chest, and a smelter (not sure how it works, but whatever)! I need to find some way to make my shelter more viewable, though...

When you explore, make a trail of torches. I still haven't found one base I set up when I first started.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
pirata said:

Smelter can uhhh...smelt...certain items. Put some coal in the bottom slot and a substance in the top and it will turn it into something else.
Iron blocks - iron bars
Sand - Glass
food - cooked food

edit: yes, and make trails of torches. I have a bunch of little houses scattered all over the place with chests and items inside that I can't for the life of me find because I didnt connect them to my main base with torches.

An a simple way to make your shelter more viewable is the make a tower next to it. It can be a big one with stairs or just a simple single block tower that has torches every few blocks.
Another way is the make some flint and set the trees around your base on fire. The stumps will burn forever and are very visible even from far away.

pirata

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

....Why are there suddenly sheep in my shelter? That should not happen...can bad guys spawn too?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
pirata said:

....Why are there suddenly sheep in my shelter? That should not happen...can bad guys spawn too?

Good guys spawn in the light. Bad ones spawn in the dark.

brandvillage-1.png

Was just talking to a bunch of people about the old gaf server.

Brand we need you on here!

Jasoco

Banned
pirata said:

Is your floor of a green "grassy" type? Animals spawn on grass.

CoolS

WanderingWind said:
Good guys spawn in the light. Bad ones spawn in the dark.

Also, animals might spawn if theres grass.

Also, I need to restart an awesome new world before the update. My current one is great, but I explored way to much. And I need some obsidian. And the time to play. Fuck work :(

But I LOVE the idea of a hidden base inside an mountain which can only be accessed by going through a portal in hell. That would be SO awesome. But ist probably going to be really difficult to find out the right distance in hell to create the portals.

siddx

Baddies spawn when there isn't enough light. Any area that is dark is an invite for a baddie to spawn. Sheep are just idiots, they'll appear, wander around, fall off cliffs, and get in the way of your building projects.

Also, I wish there was a way to load our single player maps as multiplayer so we can have others explore our creations.

Blizzard

Banned
siddx said:
Baddies spawn when there isn't enough light. Any area that is dark is an invite for a baddie to spawn. Sheep are just idiots, they'll appear, wander around, fall off cliffs, and get in the way of your building projects.

Also, I wish there was a way to load our single player maps as multiplayer so we can have others explore our creations.
I think it's pretty easy (it may just be a matter of copying files), but I don't know the details myself. Of course, you have to have some way to actually host the server, and some people seem to have problems trying to do that. One of my friends didn't have a dedicated network card and we could never get it to stop killing his network connection or something.

siddx

Blizzard said:
I think it's pretty easy (it may just be a matter of copying files), but I don't know the details myself. Of course, you have to have some way to actually host the server, and some people seem to have problems trying to do that. One of my friends didn't have a dedicated network card and we could never get it to stop killing his network connection or something.

Well I am quite inept with that kind of stuff. It's a miracle I managed to apply the painterly pack without accidentally deleting everything. So perhaps at some point someone will come up with a idiot proof way.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
pirata said:

Animals can spawn anywhere there is grass.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
CoolS said:
Also, animals might spawn if theres grass.

Also, I need to restart an awesome new world before the update. My current one is great, but I explored way to much. And I need some obsidian. And the time to play. Fuck work :(

But I LOVE the idea of a hidden base inside an mountain which can only be accessed by going through a portal in hell. That would be SO awesome. But ist probably going to be really difficult to find out the right distance in hell to create the portals.

Just make the portal in the mountain itself first.

But I think that creatures from hell will pass through portals...

pirata

Thanks guys! Yeah, there's grass. Here's some pics.

Thebeginning.jpg

The waterfall I was talking about. Now that I've climbed a mountain and seen the surrounding mountains, it doesn't seem as huge!

Animalcave.jpg

My cave full of animals. Now I know why they're there! I could keep the grass here to get a constant supply of wool though...

EDIT: I hear this really creepy noise, and I'm really scared. I'm inside my lair though...do I not have enough torches out? Am I more or less boned? Oh God...

CoolS

Ether_Snake said:
Just make the portal in the mountain itself first.

But I think that creatures from hell will pass through portals...

That would be SO not funny ...

especially since ghasts seem terrifying :(

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
so gaf i have a problem my desktop "needs repair*" so in the mean time, i am using my laptop which is shit at playing games so my question to you guys is.... are there any texture packs than will give me more frames than the original?

*its a dell.

shadowcomplex said:
so gaf i have a problem my desktop "needs repair*" so in the mean time, i am using my laptop which is shit at playing games so my question to you guys is.... are there any texture packs than will give me more frames than the original?

*its a dell.
Not really, the default set is already pretty low-res so any difference would be extremely minimal. Your only options at the moment are to turn down the render distance and set the graphics to "fast" instead of "fancy" (but you probably already did that :p).

Hopefully now that Notch has hired a programmer, they can take a crack at optimizing things and make it playable on more hardware.

Sai-kun

Banned
HenryGale said:
Preparing for th ebig update. Lit up my entire area have lots of torches placed and made.

Now seeing how portals are made, I'm sure glad I made this over the course of my game. I have another Lava chamber in my other castle as well.

Screenshot2010-10-24at90343PM.png

Over 140 in that room alone ready for bucketing. :)

Plleeeaaaaseeee tell me what kinda graphical mod you use :D I reeeeaallly love it!

r1chard

shadowcomplex said:

*its a dell.
Textures won't make a lick of difference.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
HenryGale said:
Preparing for th ebig update. Lit up my entire area have lots of torches placed and made.

Now seeing how portals are made, I'm sure glad I made this over the course of my game. I have another Lava chamber in my other castle as well.

Screenshot2010-10-24at90343PM.png

Over 140 in that room alone ready for bucketing. :)

How long did that take to do? Lots of buckets down to bedrock? Trying to think of a way myself to get some obsidian. Looks like a good idea.

Alex

Is there a good link or quick summary to what exactly is in the new update, or is it just not known in full yet?

I'd really like survival up and working in multi, that'd be great fun, I strongly assume that's not part of the patch, but maybe the near future?

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Alex said:
Is there a good link or quick summary to what exactly is in the new update, or is it just not known in full yet?

Its not fully known yet. Notch even mentioned working on bats. Who knows if theyll actually be implemented in at all or in the halloween update.

mollipen

ashbash159 said:
Holding down shift when moving near places where you may drop causes you to not be able to drop at the ledges of blocks. It's useful to have when placing bridges or stuff in mid-air.

...son of a bitch. My current home I built out from the side of a mountain, and I fell to my death many a time trying to extend out the floor sections.

BooJoh

I finally got around to building my lighthouse. I was going to use a column of lava for the light, but I didn't end up leaving myself enough room. I still need to do some underwater landscaping around it but that's a pain and I keep putting it off.

lighthouse1.png

lighthouse2.png

map1-10-25-10.png

All of these amazing pictures you guys are posting of your huge castles and stuff are reminding me that my home is still a horribly crude hut made of mixed materials. I should really get to building something better soon. :lol

Alts

seady said:
I have never played Minecraft, I wonder what will happen to the current world(s) when the full game is released?

Notch has stated several times to "not get attached to your saves". That said, saves are really easy to back up, and I don't imagine there should be too many backwards incompatible changes made.

soultron

Banned
Oh god, I just started playing tonight. I played for about 3 hours straight.

I'm also trying to stay away from crafting guides that give away the item formation patterns. Because of this, discovering how to make a bow, door, arrows, and leather helmet was EXTREMELY satisfying. I yelled, "FUCK YEAH!" when I figured out how to make a door.

No more creepers will ever make it into my mountain fortress and explode me. Thanks, doors!

seady

Sorry I feel like I am totally clueless as I have only tried the Classic version and want to know more before I purchase the game.

I was watching this video and wonder if he really "lost" his house. Does the Alpha not allow you to save your creation?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnjSWPxJxNs

I don't know how this game is structured that's why I am asking this...

BooJoh

soultron said:
I'm also trying to stay away from crafting guides that give away the item formation patterns. Because of this, discovering how to make a bow, door, arrows, and leather helmet was EXTREMELY satisfying. I yelled, "FUCK YEAH!" when I figured out how to make a door.
I wouldn't really feel bad about using crafting guides since there's nothing in the game to tell you how to do these things, not because it's intended but because it's incomplete. Notch said he was toying with the idea of an in-game crafting guide in the form of progressive achievements or something.

I know someone who tried the game during the free weekend and didn't really enjoy it because they had no idea what to do. Had they looked up recipes they might have been hooked.

To each his own though. Great thing about Minecraft is that there's really no right or wrong way to play it.

seady said:
Sorry I feel like I am totally clueless as I have only tried the Classic version and want to know more before I purchase the game.

I was watching this video and wonder if he really "lost" his house. Does the Alpha not allow you to save your creation?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnjSWPxJxNs

I don't know how this game is structured that's why I am asking this...
The game auto-saves, so if you screw up, it's going to be saved post-screwup. If you're worried about it, it's possible to make a backup so you can rollback your save.

soultron

Banned
BooJoh said:
I wouldn't really feel bad about using crafting guides since there's nothing in the game to tell you how to do these things, not because it's intended but because it's incomplete. Notch said he was toying with the idea of an in-game crafting guide in the form of progressive achievements or something.

I know someone who tried the game during the free weekend and didn't really enjoy it because they had no idea what to do. Had they looked up recipes they might have been hooked.
I've been really enjoying it so far because it really puts an emphasis on the isolation in SP. It feels like every time I craft something, I was the one to come up with the idea of it, in a way. It's funny like that.

I'm sure I will get frustrated eventually, but I watched that X Plays Minecraft video for building a shelter. That was basically all the tutorial I needed!

If I ever get frustrated, I will totally look at guides though. :]

rodzee

First time going through this thread... my place feels tiny now seeing all these towers and castles :lol

dFDgy.png

well heres mine so far.. only way to get in is going up the waterfall

shock33

Sai-kun said:
Plleeeaaaaseeee tell me what kinda graphical mod you use :D I reeeeaallly love it!

He's using the 3D Dot Heroes skin, you can get it in the mods folder on the minecraft forums (sorry can't link it's blocked at work).

pirata

Notch must be so filthily rich at this point. But I think he probably deserves it way more than most millionaires out there. He worked on this thing virtually alone for years, not knowing whether anyone else would give a damn or not. Hasn't he hired a guy now?

Sai-kun said:

I sort of made it. Took my favorite ones mixed and matched then added and edited. It's a combination of 2 separate 3D Dot game heroes, and a Links Awakening, which i went into modified and added items to as well.

Here it is.

terrain-1.png

Make sure to go to the Minecraft Forums and get MCPatcher to allow animated textures at 32 x 32 otherwise lava and water wont flow and bricks have a fire issue.

Metalic Sand said:
How long did that take to do? Lots of buckets down to bedrock? Trying to think of a way myself to get some obsidian. Looks like a good idea.

Not too long. It's my second one. My first room took longer since my underground lair wasn't deep enough, so going into the cave system from my lava chamber and back took forever. Make 9 buckets more if you like then just go back and forth.

For this one my kill side mine system I just dug deep deep down really far stair case. Then built the chamber with a ladder exit strait up as well. Going back and forth from the chamber to the pools of lava below take about 1-2 min so all in all this may have taken 30-45 mins.

The beauty of it is I have everything right there now, ready to be bucketed so I can use lava galore. I have it all over my world in castles and architecture I have built. Love the stuff.

Sanic

A few questions:

-Is it possible to create an unlimited source of lava or water? My closest source of natural water is a 5 minute walk each way, and it would be nice to make something a bit closer.

-How do you guys take those zoomed out, overhead pictures of your structures?

-Is the OP in the online Minecraft thread updated? I tried to connect to both servers listed a few days ago, but was told neither existed.

Pandoracell said:
-Is it possible to create an unlimited source of lava or water? My closest source of natural water is a 5 minute walk each way, and it would be nice to make something a bit closer.

If you create a 2x2 hole and fill two opposite corners with water, you'll have an infinite source - not sure if it works with lava.

Pandoracell said:
-How do you guys take those zoomed out, overhead pictures of your structures?

Using the cartographer program;

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13134

Pandoracell said:
-Is the OP in the online Minecraft thread updated? I tried to connect to both servers listed a few days ago, but was told neither existed.

Nope, the OP isn't up to date - look for TouchMyBox's server details near the end of the thread (post 311).

pirata

A few new pics:

Giantmountain.jpg

A huge mountain in the distance...I want to explore it!

earlytower.jpg

The beginnings of my first structure, a tower on a mountaintop! It's...very crude. However, I need SOME way of pointing myself back to my lair if I start exploring that mountain in the distance...

QUESTION: How do I eat stuff to recover energy? I have some meat and an egg, but I can't figure out how to eat them! I've been taking fall damage, so I really need to keep my life up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom