• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
pirata said:
The beginnings of my first structure, a tower on a mountaintop! It's...very crude. However, I need SOME way of pointing myself back to my lair if I start exploring that mountain in the distance...

You can make a compass with iron and redstone ore that will always point back to your spawn point.

pirata said:
QUESTION: How do I eat stuff to recover energy? I have some meat and an egg, but I can't figure out how to eat them! I've been taking fall damage, so I really need to keep my life up!

Eggs don't do anything at the moment, but to eat meat just equip it and click - also, you can cook meat in a furnace and it'll restore more health.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
pirata said:
QUESTION: How do I eat stuff to recover energy? I have some meat and an egg, but I can't figure out how to eat them! I've been taking fall damage, so I really need to keep my life up!
You have to stick meat in the oven to make roast meat, and it will recover about half your health when you eat it by right clicking with it equipped. I don't know about eggs.

pirata

islandinsky.jpg

Ummm...is that an island floating in the sky in the distance?

I've found Laputa!

I say this on a yearly basis...but this is the greatest game of all time. Everything else pales in comparison.

I only played for like 10 minutes the other day and I was hooked. Got my first long session going last night and made an awesome tunnel system that goes from the basement of my house to the the exit of a mine I found a few miles to the west...can't wait to explore all the caves and dungeons I found on the way through after work.

gillty

Banned
Sai-kun said:
Yeah, I have no clue how to do it and nowhere in like the first 3 pages does it explicitly say how to install it. I'm stupid though, so I probably missed it somewhere. Argh. :D
1) run it

2) click browse (find the original minecraft.jar which is likely in C:\Users\*******username*******\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\bin )

3) click patch in the lower right corner

done.

Sai-kun said:
Yeah, I have no clue how to do it and nowhere in like the first 3 pages does it explicitly say how to install it. I'm stupid though, so I probably missed it somewhere. Argh. :D

On mine All I had to do was select the place which has my new texture pack the one I posted on here, and then it did it all for me

pirata

You said that I can cook meat, but I try putting it in the furnace with coal, and it doesn't work. What do I have to do? (fall damage is rough on my map---everything is mountainous and covered in snow).

pirata said:
You said that I can cook meat, but I try putting it in the furnace with coal, and it doesn't work. What do I have to do? (fall damage is rough on my map---everything is mountainous and covered in snow).

Strange, you sure you've got them in the right slots? Coal should be in the bottom slot, the meat on top.

The Technomancer

pirata said:
Really? That should be it. The meat should cook quickly and turn a darker brown.

Kozak

Banned
Just some stuff I've been working on in the past hour.

Was getting annoyed that my mining spot and home was a bit of a walk away from each other so I decided to completely move in to my mine :D

Heres the my spawn-home/castle that I was rocking for a bit:
33901_448558898822_663708822_5543217_5181988_n.jpg

69021_448558873822_663708822_5543215_5502903_n.jpg

And heres the crib I just built in the past hour.

Beginning:
33652_448071843822_663708822_5536278_7225175_n.jpg

End product:
68736_449742158822_663708822_5565415_7100022_n.jpg

69307_449742228822_663708822_5565418_434303_n.jpg

73469_449742273822_663708822_5565421_865250_n.jpg

74050_449742318822_663708822_5565425_4615259_n.jpg

74100_449742358822_663708822_5565428_6823180_n.jpg

Not as large-scale as some of the projects on here but I'm happy with what I've got so far :D

Finding a skeleton spawn so far my greatest achievement :D Finding gravel and dirt really annoying..

Vinci

Danish
pirata said:

You're sure it's coal? What I'm saying is, flint and coal look decently similar....

Fixed1979

Kozak said:
The scale of that place is magnificent!

It's actually one of the cooler Minecraft pics I've seen.

Where are there stairs going? It looks like they just end at the wall (but it could be the fog).

I was hoping someone has a suggestion or has done this before. I was building a bridge from my home to a neighboring island and about halfway to the island I wanted to start a mine. I was going to fill a square area with area with stone and then mine out the middle section leaving a wall, then add a layer of glass to to the inside of the wall, finally removing the last of the stone leaving an empty glass square in the middle of the water.

I'm having a really hard time filling in the blocks in the water because it's so dark down deep. I'm guessing there's now way to have light in the water?

After finally being able to buy this now the server has stabilised and already gone to bed way too late several nights thanks to this game, that picture is equally awe-inspiring and terrifying.

JRW

Fixed1979 said:

Agreed, I also like the fog effect from using a shorter distance.. Makes me curious if I should reduce mine from the Far setting.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Fixed1979 said:

Where are there stairs going? It looks like they just end at the wall (but it could be the fog).

I was hoping someone has a suggestion or has done this before. I was building a bridge from my home to a neighboring island and about halfway to the island I wanted to start a mine. I was going to fill a square area with area with stone and then mine out the middle section leaving a wall, then add a layer of glass to to the inside of the wall, finally removing the last of the stone leaving an empty glass square in the middle of the water.

I'm having a really hard time filling in the blocks in the water because it's so dark down deep. I'm guessing there's now way to have light in the water?
You should be able to make little "pockets" of air by making upside-down-bucket type shapes -

w = water
R = rock
G = glass
_ = nothing

wwwwww
wwwwww
wwGGGw
wwR_Rww
wwR_Rww
wwwwww

build the top, then build the sides down. Unless there's an actual water source placed inside there, it should cut off the water flow to that area and make it dry. Then you can just throw some torches in there. Just build one tall tower from the floor to the surface, then chain them down using that as a base, building at lower and lower depths, and you should ultimately get one down near the floor so you can work. Plus, you'd have the added bonus of air pockets so you wouldn't have to go all the way back to the surface to breath.

All theoretical, of course, but it should work. I used the same principal to make an underwater mine entrance.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Okay, here is my minecraft story.

Up until last week I'd never heard of this game. Last week a friend of mine tells me about this game he is playing called Minecraft. It's a cheap game created by some dude who is still developing it. It sounded cool and kind of fun by the way he descibed it, and I like supporting small time game developers. So Friday night I decided to get out a glass of wine, buy me Minecraft, and sit down to check this game out a bit and then play some Starcraft II. That was like 7:00 PM or so.

I ended up going to bed around 4:00 AM Saturday morning. RELUCTANTLY going to bed. I never even gave SC2 a second of thought.

So today on my lunch break I decide I'm going to make a GAF thread, but I do a search first to see if a topic exists, and lo and behold I'm greeted by this 160+ page MONSTER THREAD. Apparently GAF has already discovered this game!! :)

I played again last night for like 8 hours. This game is freaking amazing!!! It may be one of the best games I've played in years. Perfect blend of adventure and discovery, mixed with an open-end feeling that just breeds creativity. Not to mention some damn creepy atmosphere at times, but mixed with moments of awe and wonder at new sights found. And today I learned that the world is infinitely large? That the game randomly generates the world the more you explore, and keeps it stored. This is an impressive design for a game, I'm quickly becoming enamored with this.

And the building and design possibilites, this game just sings to the inner LEGO child still in me. I haven't truly had this kind of feeling from a game since the days of Dungeon Keeper. I learned today that the developer has quit his full time job and is only working on Minecraft now full time, and that he updates it regularly.

I am so glad I bought this game, it's the best damn $15 I've spent in years. I'm gonna have to read this whole thread in due time. I think tonight I'm going to start a totally new world and keep a photo journal of my progress in game, I'm not crazy about the spot I spawned in my current and first game. And it will be cool starting out fresh with the knowledge I have now about the game...

Mudkips

Banned
I'd LOVE to farm my ass some TNT. Obviously, sand is plentiful.
How do I farm creepers for gunpowder?
I encounter a few a day topside, and underground it's hit or miss.
If I do get a good stream of them underground, there's also skeletons to worry about - can't stay and farm when those fuckers are around.

Mudkips said:
I'd LOVE to farm my ass some TNT. Obviously, sand is plentiful.
How do I farm creepers for gunpowder?
I encounter a few a day topside, and underground it's hit or miss.
If I do get a good stream of them underground, there's also skeletons to worry about - can't stay and farm when those fuckers are around.
build a giant empty dark room for monsters to spawn. arrange water and cacti in such a way that things will die and the items they drop will flow towards a central collection point. stand at collection point. make sure the place is safe and nothign can actually reach you. go afk. items will flow to you by the dozens. there are designs for spawn traps on the minecraft forums that claim to draw in 1000s of items an hour. they give blueprints and video demos, though i havent got around to building one yet myself.

fresquito

I've realised, by comparing the shots you post to my world, that all you like big scale projects, while I'm more focused in small details. I concentrated my efforts in trying to have a place where I'd enjoy to live.

The Technomancer

fresquito said:
I've realised, by comparing the shots you post to my world, that all you like big scale projects, while I'm more focused in small details. I concentrated my efforts in trying to have a place where I'd enjoy to live.
I'm the same. I poured twenty hours into making a nice base and mine that I enjoyed, and I'm only now starting a castle project that, while cool, isn't as ridiculous as some of the stuff on here.

Fixed1979

Monroeski said:
You should be able to make little "pockets" of air by making upside-down-bucket type shapes -

w = water
R = rock
G = glass
_ = nothing

wwwwww
wwwwww
wwGGGw
wwR_Rww
wwR_Rww
wwwwww

build the top, then build the sides down. Unless there's an actual water source placed inside there, it should cut off the water flow to that area and make it dry. Then you can just throw some torches in there. Just build one tall tower from the floor to the surface, then chain them down using that as a base, building at lower and lower depths, and you should ultimately get one down near the floor so you can work. Plus, you'd have the added bonus of air pockets so you wouldn't have to go all the way back to the surface to breath.

All theoretical, of course, but it should work. I used the same principal to make an underwater mine entrance.

Excellent, thanks I'll be trying this out when I get home! Hopefully some screens as well.

So I started a new game a couple of days ago. Build my first "hideout" into a mountain an started to dig down a bit.
I found this GIANT cave i have been exploring for like 2 hours now. I already found ~150 Iron, ~40 Gold and 12 Diamond and 2 dungeons. And now I discovered a HUGE Obisian structure, with like 40 Obisidion for me to mine.
This game keeps amazing me even months after I got it :D

Mudkips

Banned
fredrancour said:
build a giant empty dark room for monsters to spawn. arrange water and cacti in such a way that things will die and the items they drop will flow towards a central collection point. stand at collection point. make sure the place is safe and nothign can actually reach you. go afk. items will flow to you by the dozens. there are designs for spawn traps on the minecraft forums that claim to draw in 1000s of items an hour. they give blueprints and video demos, though i havent got around to building one yet myself.

I managed to encase and then flood a spider spawning cage (yes, I know string is useless once you build a pole and bow). The buggers didn't seem to want to spawn in the water.

soultron

Banned
Horsebite, that is simply amazing.

I wish the game had tide cycles. Ever since I started playing I've dreamt of building a castle atop an ocean cliff, and having glass embedded in the side of the cliff so you could see underwater when you went below sea level.

/swoon.

pirata

How does one find rarer ore and materials? The best ore I've found so far is iron, and in only a sparse amount. Luck of the draw? Also...

-How does one plant trees? The inner ecologist in me weeps at my consumption of wood. (And I might run out sometime)

-How deep down are these cave systems y'all are talking about? Random depth? Really deep? I've been digging a deep tunnel in my lair, but I haven't reached anything yet (other than a little iron and some coal).

-Is it still true that in order to mine better ore, one has to use a pick-axe made out of a material one step below the material or higher? This could be problematic, especially since iron is so rare (I only have five right now).

I'm thinking of trying out the online. Hopefully I can get on the GAF server. If you guys see me, be nice and show me the ropes!

EDIT: Amazing picture, horsebite! I look forward to the time when I can build things that don't look so ghetto!

owlbeak

The cool thing about that arch I am building on is that it has a cave system in the top of it with holes that look out on both sides. I'm basically just building a tower on both sides and a wall and the rest will be under the surface up top to link into the cave system. :)

It was neat to stumble across that piece of land just sitting out in the middle of nowhere. The terrain generation in this game never ceases to amaze me.

pirata said:
How does one find rarer ore and materials? The best ore I've found so far is iron, and in only a sparse amount. Luck of the draw? Also...

Generally ore's most easily found in natural cave systems, but if you're digging straight through rock you might be lucky and find a vein of rare ore.

pirata said:
-How does one plant trees? The inner ecologist in me weeps at my consumption of wood. (And I might run out sometime)

When you cut down a tree, destroy the leaves too and they'll drop saplings - you can then plant these on any grass or dirt tile and a tree will eventually grow.

pirata said:
-How deep down are these cave systems y'all are talking about? Random depth? Really deep? I've been digging a deep tunnel in my lair, but I haven't reached anything yet (other than a little iron and some coal).

Some cave systems run right through to the bedrock - personally I find that the best way to find a cave is to simply go exploring for one on the surface and see how far it goes down, rather than hope that the tunnel you're digging will break into a cave.

pirata said:
-Is it still true that in order to mine better ore, one has to use a pick-axe made out of a material one step below the material or higher? This could be problematic, especially since iron is so rare (I only have five right now).

Stone pick-axe's are good for everything but the rare ore's (red ore, diamond, gold), for those you'll need an iron pick-axe - but for obsidian, you'll need a diamond pick-axe.

pirata said:

Some are more common at deeper depths.
Redstone, diamond, gold, bedrock

Some occur in (VERY) rare natural formations or must be geologically manipulated into existence
Obsidian

Some require trekking the continents
cactus, clay

Some must be manufactured
bricks, glass, greystone

Some must be found at great personal risk
mossy cobblestone

And some will never appear in your world unless its the right type of world
ice

pirata said:

Leaves on trees drop tree sprouts when destroyed or decaying. Plant on one block of soil, and light (from the sun, but torches can also pull this off) and a few days later you'll have a tree. Plant them on top of an already-grown tree for amazing tall trees!

pirata said:

Random deep. Some dip into the earth. Some are a descent into the dark abyss where no gods nor men rule. Its a journey down to the root of the earth, where beasts of the void will tear apart your very soul.

pirata said:

Not entirely. Iron ore is actually quite commonplace if you just start digging diagnal-down and in random directions. Iron is the minimum-needed ore to extract
diamond

EDIT - beaten!

Just a comment I need to add MineGAFt:

I've been playing for a month and have tunnel systems in three continents. I have outposts and glass bridges. I have dominated dungeons and crushed the spawncages. I've fought and defeated three creepers at once. I'm set fire to entire islands, plunged myself into a volcano of my own design, diverted waterfalls, destroyed seas and levelled mountains. I've become God in a world of one...

AND YET I STILL CAN'T FIND A SINGLE FUCKING SLIME.

WHY?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Mama Robotnik said:
Just a comment I need to add MineGAFt:

I've been playing for a month and have tunnel systems in three continents. I have outposts and glass bridges. I have dominated dungeons and crushed the spawncages. I've fought and defeated three creepers at once. I'm set fire to entire islands, plunged myself into a volcano of my own design, diverted waterfalls, destroyed seas and levelled mountains. I've become God in a world of one...

AND YET I STILL CAN'T FIND A SINGLE FUCKING SLIME.

WHY?

I still haven't found a drop of clay.

WanderingWind said:
I still haven't found a drop of clay.

That's well weird, I have a bed of it right near my hub, seen a number of other formations of it too.

I wish to trade. Clay for a slime. I want to see with my own eyes that they are real.

seb

Banned
soultron said:
Horsebite, that is simply amazing.

I wish the game had tide cycles. Ever since I started playing I've dreamt of building a castle atop an ocean cliff, and having glass embedded in the side of the cliff so you could see underwater when you went below sea level.

/swoon.
I tried that. Honestly, it's underwhelming, you can't see anything special except that it's blue-tinted. See for yourself (these windows are under water):
aquarium.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom