• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

soultron

Banned
I think as the sea livens up (fishing rod has no use right now) it will be a great idea. I can see why it would be underwhelming. I simply want one less side I can get snuck up on and blown up. :p

Vlad

Mama Robotnik said:
That's well weird, I have a bed of it right near my hub, seen a number of other formations of it too.

I wish to trade. Clay for a slime. I want to see with my own eyes that they are real.

Oh, they're VERY real. From what I've seen, they tend to spawn in VERY deep caves. I'm talking practically sitting on top of the bedrock. They also seem to almost prefer certain areas. I played for at least two months and had forgotten that slimes were even supposed to exist, but one area of caves seems to attract them, as every time I went down (was gathering mass amounts of lava), there were TONS of the things.

Haunted

soultron said:
Horsebite, that is simply amazing.

I wish the game had tide cycles. Ever since I started playing I've dreamt of building a castle atop an ocean cliff, and having glass embedded in the side of the cliff so you could see underwater when you went below sea level.

/swoon.
That's a great idea, actually.

pirata said:
How does one find rarer ore and materials? The best ore I've found so far is iron, and in only a sparse amount. Luck of the draw?
Rare ore (gold and diamond) can only be found in deeper areas.

pirata said:
-How does one plant trees? The inner ecologist in me weeps at my consumption of wood. (And I might run out sometime)
Take saplings (they sometime fall off when you chop down trees) and plant them on a dirt block with 4 free spaces above it.

pirata said:
-How deep down are these cave systems y'all are talking about? Random depth? Really deep? I've been digging a deep tunnel in my lair, but I haven't reached anything yet (other than a little iron and some coal).
The world has a verticality of 128 blocks, 64 above and 64 below sea level. There's indestructable bedrock interspersed in the bottom 5 layers to let you know when you've reached the absolute bottom of the gameworld. Cave systems can potentially go all the way down.

pirata said:
-Is it still true that in order to mine better ore, one has to use a pick-axe made out of a material one step below the material or higher? This could be problematic, especially since iron is so rare (I only have five right now).
You need an Iron Axe or better to mine Gold and Diamond, yes. But given the rarity of these blocks, you'll never run out of iron axes if you preserve one for these ores only.

edit: I apparently had this tab open for a long while. :lol Makes me happy about our helpful little GAF community, though. ^_^

MNC

Oh god seeing fish... maybe being able to put them back into the water... MAKE WORLDS LARGEST AQUARIUM

I hope there are not too many dangerous fish.

Haunted

WanderingWind said:
I still haven't found a drop of clay.
Every single time I've seen clay was near water, on the beach. You got to be attentive since its block form looks really similar to stone. Following the coastline, it really shouldn't take too long to find some clay.

Mama Robotnik said:
AND YET I STILL CAN'T FIND A SINGLE FUCKING SLIME.

WHY?
You need to go deeper.

Actually, is this a good time to remind you of my incredible slime zoo? Every now and then I go down there and cut two or three huge slimes to bits so they can grow again. ^_^

Haunted

seb said:
I tried that. Honestly, it's underwhelming, you can't see anything special except that it's blue-tinted. See for yourself (these windows are under water):
Well, that depends entirely on your texture pack. Some use a really deep-blue hue for their water, some are much more transparent (like yours seems to be).

But bonus points for using a texture pack with glass blocks/windows you can actually see through! I find the default glass texture to be absolutely horrible.

edit: and don't forget the fish we're getting soon! oh god the fish

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Okay, I'm convinced. How do I go about finding and installing one of these texture pack thinges?

(The glass really is terrible in vanilla)

Jasoco

Banned
MNC said:
Oh god seeing fish... maybe being able to put them back into the water... MAKE WORLDS LARGEST AQUARIUM

I hope there are not too many dangerous fish.
Oh god. Fish. I hope so. And I hope there's a variety of them that spawn in water of varying depths.

Haunted

WanderingWind said:
Okay, I'm convinced. How do I go about finding and installing one of these texture pack thinges?

(The glass really is terrible in vanilla)
Some of the most popular:

Doku's - in action

Painterly - in action

Brown & Bloom - in action (my personal favourite atm)

3D Dot Game Heroes - in action

and the fix if you apply high resolution (32x32+, lol) packs: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=46173

All links have some examples so you can pick and choose for yourself. :)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Argh! Was sailing around at night when I last quit (the darkness took me unprepared) and when I reloaded I automatically fell out of the boat. What followed was me squinting an inch from my screen trying to make out where my noble craft was while I frantically tried to stay above water. It was very disorienting.

WanderingWind

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So are mobs hurt by a water current trying to force them through an area only one square tall? Because that's how all of the ones I've seen seem to work, and I can't think of an arrangement that will funnel them to the cactus but then after they've died force their items outside.

Fusebox

Banned
I need help with minecarts. Whats the simplest way to get a minecart to go up a big hill with me in it? The powered minecart doesn't seem to work because I can't make it go in the right direction. :(

Fusebox said:
I need help with minecarts. Whats the simplest way to get a minecart to go up a big hill with me in it? The powered minecart doesn't seem to work because I can't make it go in the right direction. :(

Search on youtube for how to make minecart boosters - you need about 6 spare pieces of track and another minecart for each booster you make, but it'll generate enough speed to propel you up a sizeable hill.

*edit, here's the tutorial I used myself;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPls6LXlkGI

soultron

Banned
I just spent two hours trying to tunnel my way into a deep cave. Finally found it, battled a few zombies and skeletons, redirected the flow of some waterfalls and lava flows, got my loot, and got the hell out. It was fun, but I was thinking if I ventured any deeper I'd get rushed by creepers. The whole risk-reward system is like roguelikes -- I love it.

Adamm

Seen Vlads "Hole" for the first time today
Its mighty impressive - cant wait to see it finished! :D

Helped with a bit of digging until my inventory was full :lol

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
people who havnt seen vlads hole should take the trip.

it cant really be described or screencapped. [for one, its larger than the screen even when viewed from the build ceiling]

Vlad

Adamm said:
Seen Vlads "Hole" for the first time today
Its mighty impressive - cant wait to see it finished! :D

Helped with a bit of digging until my inventory was full :lol

Yeah, it'll be a while before it's done. Any help digging is always appreciated, though. I knew that I was in for a huge project when I started out, but I really don't think I appreciated the enormity of it until I started really digging in.

owlbeak

Warning! Image Dump incoming! :lol

I mostly finished my castle. Still need to add stairs to the South tower and finish an interior stairwell going down through the arch into the ground for a mine. Anyway, here's a bunch of pics! It may not be the fanciest build, but I am proud of it and like how it's built into the terrain.

Inside the arch there is a large room with two large openings, one facing west and one east so you can get a great view of the sunrise/sunset!

West Window
East%20Side%20Window%20Moonrise.png

East Window (Sunrise)
West%20Side%20Window%20Sunset.png

Here is the interior of the main room with ladder going up to the top of the mountain/arch.
Interior%20Main%20Room.png

Main Stairwell that leads up to the North tower, with fancy indoor plants! :D
Interior%20Stairwell.png

Top of the castle on the outside:
castle%20top.png

I built a platform on top of a rock outcropping to form some sort of observation/lookout platform facing west (nice view, too!)
Observation%20Platform%20West.png

Different angle of the lookout platform and the North tower.
Observation%20Platform%20and%20North%20Tower.png

Castle lit up at night:
Night%20Castle.png

Castle during the day looking at the Western side:
Day%20West%20Side.png

Castle's Eastern side:
Day-%20East%20Side.png

Castle at Sunset:
Sunset.png

BooJoh

Kozak said:

Is that fireplace safe? I can't help but think of the fire video when I look at that.

r1chard said:
It would be nice if he did fix the bug while at the same time providing a proper means for making fast minecarts :)

It might happen.

@notch I'd gladly trade the booster glitch for a crafted block that accelerates passing objects. Same feature, more elegant implementation.

@digitalgabeg yeah, I'd say that's a likely compromise.
http://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/28067405088

kennah

Mama Robotnik said:
Just a comment I need to add MineGAFt:

I've been playing for a month and have tunnel systems in three continents. I have outposts and glass bridges. I have dominated dungeons and crushed the spawncages. I've fought and defeated three creepers at once. I'm set fire to entire islands, plunged myself into a volcano of my own design, diverted waterfalls, destroyed seas and levelled mountains. I've become God in a world of one...

AND YET I STILL CAN'T FIND A SINGLE FUCKING SLIME.

WHY?
I had a slime scare the shit out of me in my peaceful world. Haven't seen one anywhere else.

WedgeX

Banned
Just bought Minecraft!

How did I not realize that creepers live in sunlight?!

I burrowed into the side of a cliff the first night, and when I went back the second night there was a creeper bobbing up and down in front of my door. Argh!

Vlad

WedgeX said:
Just bought Minecraft!

How did I not realize that creepers live in sunlight?!

I burrowed into the side of a cliff the first night, and when I went back the second night there was a creeper bobbing up and down in front of my door. Argh!

Spiders do as well, although they're pretty tame during the day (unless you attack or bump into one).

WanderingWind

Horsebite said:
Doku's RPG Texture Pack. 32x32

I'm playing with this one right now, and it's amazing. It does make everything darker, though. I think I'd like to find one with the same articulation and aesthetic, but with lighter colors.

When you change the texture packs, do you have to remove anything, or just overwrite?

Blizzard

Banned
One thing about fish and deep-sea stuff...if there becomes a need for scuba, I'm going to either need to make lots of glass airlocks with torches inside, or else find some sort of flashlight or something that works underwater. It gets dark FAST below the surface. Maybe redstone torches could work underwater, and there could be glowing angler fish. :p

pirata

REDEYESBLACKTHINGOHGOD.jpg

OH GOD, WHAT IS THAT THING WITH THE RED EYES, AND WILL IT EAT ME?

EDIT: The drop in quality in the pic makes it harder to make out, but there's definitely a black monster with red eyes near my tower. Scary!

Speaking of monsters, what types of drops do mobs have?

Cday

Banned
pirata said:
http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz41/piratapequeno/MINECRAFT/REDEYESBLACKTHINGOHGOD.jpg

OH GOD, WHAT IS THAT THING WITH THE RED EYES, AND WILL IT EAT ME?

Just your friendly neighborhood spider, man.

Vlad

The_Technomancer said:
NOTE TO SELF: Do not open inventory while crouching over a ledge over a steep drop.

Similarly, never use a chest/furnace/workbench while holding a lava bucket.

One of you guys who hasn't bought this needs to get it, play the game and livestream your first experience. Minecraft-GAF would love you forever for it.

pirata

HappyBivouac said:
One of you guys who hasn't bought this needs to get it, play the game and livestream your first experience. Minecraft-GAF would love you forever for it.

Maybe I could do that, since I've only played for about 24 hours and still don't know what I'm doing in this icy wasteland. But I don't know how to work a livestream. Do I need a capture card or something (can't do that, being on a laptop...)?

probune

After running my own Survival Multiplayer server for a couple months and playing on it for probably about 80-100 hours, I booted up single player for the first time since I first bought it. I know this game inside and out by now but having working health makes the game fucking terrifying.

There was a zombie spawn about 10 blocks below my spawn and I made the mistake of digging down into it and not putting up torches in time. So now there's infinite zombies at my spawn until morning. :(

r1chard said:
It would be nice if he did fix the bug while at the same time providing a proper means for making fast minecarts :)
IIRC he said that he plans to do this at some point... I think he mentioned that he never fully tested the existing powered minecarts, and he acknowledged that they're too slow.

I doubt they'll be quite the level of boosters though, since boosted carts essentially go max speed with infinite momentum.

Horsebite: Looks awesome! That's definitely one of the most unique looking castles I've seen. That terrain is really cool.

pirata said:
Maybe I could do that, since I've only played for about 24 hours and still don't know what I'm doing in this icy wasteland. But I don't know how to work a livestream. Do I need a capture card or something (can't do that, being on a laptop...)?

I've never done it before, but you need some program along the lines of camtasia I guess. Not sure if there's a free one that'd be easy to set up.

eso76

Mama Robotnik said:
That's well weird, I have a bed of it right near my hub, seen a number of other formations of it too.

I wish to trade. Clay for a slime. I want to see with my own eyes that they are real.

i believe slimes are those green jelly-like cubes that jump around ? if so i met one yesterday.
It was small and i thought he was friendly at first (at least, it didn't hurt me).
It kept following me, so i just thought what the hell, i'm going back and taking it home to keep, it's so cute !
then at some point i turned around and saw it got like huge, several blocks big. it layed eggs too, but i don't know what to do with em.

game needs even more extra rare stuff, to think there are creatures you might never come across is fascinating

oh, i've got large amounts of gold, red stones, diamonds and some obsidian too, but never seen clay myself.

WanderingWind

eso76 said:
i believe slimes are those green jelly-like cubes that jump around ? if so i met one yesterday.
It was small and i thought he was friendly at first (at least, it didn't hurt me).
It kept following me, so i just thought what the hell, i'm going back and taking it home to keep, it's so cute !
then at some point i turned around and saw it got like huge, several blocks big. it layed eggs too, but i don't know what to do with em.

game needs even more extra rare stuff, to think there are creatures you might never come across is fascinating

oh, i've got large amounts of gold, red stones, diamonds and some obsidian too, but never seen clay myself.

Minecraft pets. You're a genius.

r1chard

eso76 said:
I've just scoured a coast for some damn clay and found nada.

I'm gonna go blow something up instead.

Irish

HappyBivouac said:

I would love to do it, but after going through X's experience with him, I don't believe I'd be all that interesting to watch since I know exactly what to do.

WanderingWind

GAH! HELP!

My save! It vanished! What the hell???

I was playing and my power went out. When I restarted the game, my world was gone! Please tell me there is a backup somewhere.

Jasoco

Banned
It might still be there. Did you try starting a new game in that slot? Sometimes it ends up regenerating the same world. But don't hold me to it. Do you keep backups like a good boy should?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom