• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
WanderingWind said:
GAH! HELP!

My save! It vanished! What the hell???

I was playing and my power went out. When I restarted the game, my world was gone! Please tell me there is a backup somewhere.

In windows explorer type %appdata% in the address bar. Your save is in the .minecraft folder.

If everything is messed up, you have my condolences.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
WanderingWind said:
GAH! HELP!

My save! It vanished! What the hell???

I was playing and my power went out. When I restarted the game, my world was gone! Please tell me there is a backup somewhere.

I hope your on Win7. Theres a restore folder option. Use it! Ive had exactly what happened to you happen to me.

Right click your save (Example: World1 ) ->> Restore previous versions. youll lose about 1-2 hours of work but its the only way to save it from my experience.

Horsebite said:
Castle at Sunset:
Sunset.png

Penis tower on the left, there.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Metalic Sand said:
I hope your on Win7. Theres a restore folder option. Use it! Ive had exactly what happened to you happen to me.

Right click your save (Example: World1 ) ->> Restore previous versions. youll lose about 1-2 hours of work but its the only way to save it from my experience.

I shall name my first born after you. Her name will be Sandy. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

EDIT: Okay, well, World 1 is showing up in the .minecraft folder, but when I run the game, that slot is empty. Anybody?

soultron

Banned
Back to the mines! I always want to listen to like... I don't know... the LOTRO film score while playing. Except that sound plays a crucial part.

I have a question. I was burrowing underground and I heard this really brooding music clip, maybe 10 seconds long, and then heard zombies. Is that a cue to let you know you're heading towards bigtime danger? (Think of the riches!)

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
WanderingWind said:
EDIT: Okay, well, World 1 is showing up in the .minecraft folder, but when I run the game, that slot is empty. Anybody?

When my power went out my save still showed in the folder as well and the only way to get it showing in the game was to restore the folder.

The delete level.dat rename Level.dat_Old to level.dat didnt work for me either.

Blizzard

Banned
WanderingWind said:
I shall name my first born after you. Her name will be Sandy. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Back up all the files. I've never heard of the directory itself vanishing, but since you got the directory back, back up everything in it to some other directory, then try making a new file in that directory.

Then you can try starting a game in that slot and see if your world shows up. Cartographer or something could help you find if it exists or not. Hopefully others have better advice.

Sciz

soultron said:
I have a question. I was burrowing underground and I heard this really brooding music clip, maybe 10 seconds long, and then heard zombies. Is that a cue to let you know you're heading towards bigtime danger? (Think of the riches!)
The music stingers, as far as anyone can tell, exist for the sole purpose of being creepy as hell.

Blizzard

Banned
It may just be coincidence, but I think I also heard some of the really creepy music right before I found a (mossy-walled) dungeon.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I like to sit upon my throne and dream of NPC's being added to populate my kingdom so that I may slaughter them.

Screenshot2010-10-26at121709AM.png

Kozak

Banned
BooJoh said:
Is that fireplace safe? I can't help but think of the fire video when I look at that.

Definitely made sure each fireplace was safe but I did suffer a scare when I accidently caught on fire and started frantically running around :lol

soultron

Banned
There's definitely something satisfying in knowing that if you want to travel far from home, you're going to have to pack for the journey. I usually pack stuff like grilled pork steaks, 6 picks, 4 swords, a bow and arrows, a work bench, 128 torches, and 64-128 filler blocks. Then I just wear all the armour I can carry. And you can lose it all if you get caught off guard by a creeper or fall off a cliff. I almost had gravel collapse on me today -- luckily I moved out of the way fast enough.

Pretty sweet journey so far. Build the beginnings of a castle tunnel system around a waterfall that drops off an insanely high cliff. It's going to be nice to walk back to my main castle and see those torches so high up the mountain. :]

seady

I played the Classic version for couple days, how is the Alpha version any different and will it surprise me anymore?

seady said:
I played the Classic version for couple days, how is the Alpha version any different and will it surprise me anymore?

They're not even the same game. The classic mode is a fun little diversion. The Alpha is perhaps the greatest video game I have ever had the pleasure to experience.

Do this please:

HappyBivouac said:
One of you guys who hasn't bought this needs to get it, play the game and livestream your first experience. Minecraft-GAF would love you forever for it.

SToRM

maniac-kun said:
This game really should have natural caves like that with dungeons in them. And to make the exploration part even better it would also be nice if there would be treasures like golden/diamond statues which can be used to gain lots of resources (something like 10 gold/diamond) or to just put them in a trophy room :D

Jasoco

Banned
WanderingWind said:
...it's gone. All gone.

Welp. That was fun while it lasted.
It's a sign. The update is coming this weekend. It's for the best. Start over and make a habit of creating a backup every hour or so.

seady

HappyBivouac said:
They're not even the same game. The classic mode is a fun little diversion. The Alpha is perhaps the greatest video game I have ever had the pleasure to experience.

Do this please:

Finally bought it! So clueless what to do in the beginning though.
And what is the difference between playing in browser or the downloaded one? Can I play the same world across the two methods?

BooJoh

WanderingWind said:

I'm just guessing here since I've never actually lost my save (or backed it up.. I should do that.)

I would try copying your world to a backup location, then load up the game, start a new world in the same slot, immediately quit, copy your backup back, overwriting the world you just started, then load up the game and see if you can load into your backup.

EDIT: I have a feeling that might change your spawn location, so if it doesn't look like your old world, try running cartographer and see if any of your old structures are there.

r1chard

Gah! NOES! I just had my first real, actual crash!

I'd finally found some bloody clay too, out exploring with a complete kit (boat, workbench, chests, furnace, weapons, armour). I was really careful and put it in a chest to store it in case I died during the night. And a bunch of other stuff I'd collected went in there too. I was smelting some iron I'd found. And then boom, crash. When I reloaded I was at the same place, with the same gear but the furnace, workbench, boat and chest were all gone!

Argh!

Brashnir

seady said:
Finally bought it! So clueless what to do in the beginning though.
And what is the difference between playing in browser or the downloaded one? Can I play the same world across the two methods?

no difference, except that you can fullscreen the downloaded one. and yes you can play the same world on either.

I discovered my first properly massive, terrifyingly vast cave yesterday. It's no coincidence that I also went from no deaths at all to about 15 on the same day. Great stuff.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Okay, well, thanks for all the help guys. I've tried everything and am officially screwed.

Now, how do I go about backing up the game so this doesn't happen again?

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Strummerjones said:
I discovered my first properly massive, terrifyingly vast cave yesterday. It's no coincidence that I also went from no deaths at all to about 15 on the same day. Great stuff.

I've found that a good strategy for caves is to make a chest near the entrance and dump everything but a sword, one pick axe, and a bunch of torches in it. Then just go through the cave placing torches everywhere but not mining anything yet. That way if you die, you don't lose much. Once you have the cave all lit up, you can mine it for whatever is inside without worrying about dying and losing all the stuff you spent and hour digging up.

Kozak

Banned
I can't for the life of me figure out how to apply the texture packs...

So I go into the .bin folder, open the minecraft.jar in winrar and place the files in the texture pack into the minecraft.jar rar.

Rufus

siddx said:
I've found that a good strategy for caves is to make a chest near the entrance and dump everything but a sword, one pick axe, and a bunch of torches in it. Then just go through the cave placing torches everywhere but not mining anything yet. That way if you die, you don't lose much. Once you have the cave all lit up, you can mine it for whatever is inside without worrying about dying and losing all the stuff you spent and hour digging up.
And if you don't want to get lost, only place torches on the left side of tunnels, so that if you want to find your way back out, you just have to keep the torches on your right.
I've had to dig my way to the surface once because I was so hopelessly lost. I only had one torch, too, so I had to block the path behind me periodically, to make sure nothing would spawn behind me and re-place that one torch over and over. Luckily enough, it was daytime when I emerged, though I did almost drown because I dug into a lake... Ah, Minecraft.

Bregor

WanderingWind said:
Okay, well, thanks for all the help guys. I've tried everything and am officially screwed.

Now, how do I go about backing up the game so this doesn't happen again?

The hard way is to search for %appdata% and back up the entire .minecraft folder.

There are programs to do this automatically:

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Programs_and_Editors

But I haven't tried any of them out, and I'm not sure how well they work or which is best.

Sanic

I'm having a bit of an issue. For the past several hours, anytime I play on Touch's server, my game effectively locks up after a few minutes. It's not related to anything in particular i'm doing, as even if I don't move at all after spawning, it still happens. I've never had this problem before, so does anyone have any ideas as to what's going on?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Brashnir said:
no difference, except that you can fullscreen the downloaded one. and yes you can play the same world on either.
You can full screen the browser one to, just push F11. I find that sometimes if one is unstable, the other one tends to be more stable.

thespot84

Pandoracell said:
I'm having a bit of an issue. For the past several hours, anytime I play on Touch's server, my game effectively locks up after a few minutes. It's not related to anything in particular i'm doing, as even if I don't move at all after spawning, it still happens. I've never had this problem before, so does anyone have any ideas as to what's going on?

Are you using "!who" ? That seems to be crashing a few people including me.

Also, maybe check this out: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=60704

Haunted

Kozak said:
I can't for the life of me figure out how to apply the texture packs...

So I go into the .bin folder, open the minecraft.jar in winrar and place the files in the texture pack into the minecraft.jar rar.
Yes. Prompt comes up, you confirm, done.

ezpz

r1chard said:
I'd finally found some bloody clay too, out exploring with a complete kit (boat, workbench, chests, furnace, weapons, armour). I was really careful and put it in a chest to store it in case I died during the night. And a bunch of other stuff I'd collected went in there too. I was smelting some iron I'd found. And then boom, crash. When I reloaded I was at the same place, with the same gear but the furnace, workbench, boat and chest were all gone!
Well, these 4 items can literally be remade within 2 minutes of starting the game, no big deal. Except if there was some rare stuff in the chest, in which case I extend my condolences. :(

edit: oh shit, clay and iron? :sadface

Leunam

siddx said:

I like to make a 3x5x5 cube in a wall somewhere with a door and add torches, furnaces, chests and a workbench. Then I'll place a sign outside the door and have that spot as my checkpoint before traveling further into a cave.

WedgeX

Banned
I've been digging into the depths of the earth. At certain points I hear what sounds like zombies or other such ghastly things. I dig around where the noise is, but nothing.

Built my first tower. Died about four times trying to place my columns. I set four fires raging at the top, to serve as beacons. However, one of them keeps running out just as soon as I place it. Anything I should be doing differently?

Also started my first strip mining project. Burrowed down a decent ways, and am now going to mine in circles until I've created a vast underground colosseum.

And so many creepers! Ah! And no spiders so I can't create my bow :(

edit:
Oh yeah, picture!

minecraft1.jpg

The view of my main home and new tower from my strip mining operation. Also, that is the side with the fire that will not stay lit.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Leunam said:
I like to make a 3x5x5 cube in a wall somewhere with a door and add torches, furnaces, chests and a workbench. Then I'll place a sign outside the door and have that spot as my checkpoint before traveling further into a cave.

I go to the highest mountain near the cave and light several trees on fire.. then place signs explaining in which direction cave is :( it may be over kill.. but I have a poor sense of direction

Rufus said:
And if you don't want to get lost, only place torches on the left side of tunnels, so that if you want to find your way back out, you just have to keep the torches on your right.
I've had to dig my way to the surface once because I was so hopelessly lost. I only had one torch, too, so I had to block the path behind me periodically, to make sure nothing would spawn behind me and re-place that one torch over and over. Luckily enough, it was daytime when I emerged, though I did almost drown because I dug into a lake... Ah, Minecraft.

Brilliant. I need to start doing that. I end up placing dirt blocks in a triangle to show my way out of the cave.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Has there been any word on whether placing lava and water in MP will be fixed on this next update? Can't seem to get that working on my friend's server.

Ferrio

Banned
Pandoracell said:

Bug I believe. Happens on my multi server too. Something in the terrain causes the client to go to shit. Turning down your fog to normal seems to fix it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hm, is there any way to change where Minecraft saves your files, on PC or on Mac? It would be nice to change my save directory to my dropbox folder, so I could seamlessly play across partitions.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Man... when Notch announced the Halloween update my heart sank a little bit. The update was 4 weeks away, and over 6 weeks since the last content update. But now it is almost heeeere. I'm as excited about this as I am about any big console game being released this fall. Between this, The Walking Dead, and my epic halloween costume, this weekend is going to be awesome. :D :D :D

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the advertised features end up being cut/pushed back to get the update out on time, but it should still be the biggest single update in Minecraft history.

I think what happened was Notch got so busy with setting up a proper company, hiring people, looking for an office etc., that he KNEW he wouldn't be able to update for a month. So to get the community off his back and give himself some breathing room, he announced a big "Halloween" update for 4 weeks away. But that ended up digging himself in a deeper hole, because now he only had 1-2 weeks to code four weeks worth of promised updates :lol

Hell world is def. in... the screenshots prove that its far along. Even that alone makes this a huge and successful update, in my eyes.

Still... I sort of miss the days when Minecraft would update, and suddenly... there are cows. Those days are over :(

Edit: On a side note, the game is at about $6.3 million in gross sales, now. I know swedish tax is insane and he has lots of other fees for bandwidth and other overhead, but still... I don't think the long term health of Mojang is in any question, at this point.

thespot84

Monroeski said:
Has there been any word on whether placing lava and water in MP will be fixed on this next update? Can't seem to get that working on my friend's server.

if your friend gives you OP or admin, you can spawn actual lava and water, as opposed to using buckets. That's the only way it works right now.

EVH

Rainforest-temperate
Rainforest
Seasonal forest
Forest
Savanna
Shrubland
Taiga
Desert-Grass
Desert
Ice
Desert-Tundra

Biomes, as notch just said in twitter.com/notch

thespot84

Pandoracell said:
Nope, not using !who, and the client patch you suggested did not help, nor lowering the view distance down to normal/low.

I should clarify by saying that the game doesn't totally lock up, but it's completely unplayable.

is your java updated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom