• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
filipe said:
Screenshot this tree. I'm interested in seeing the size.

Sorry, I finished it off a few hours ago.

It was two of the multi-branch trees that grew right next to each other. I hadn't seen one that big before...

Bebpo

Banned
GDJustin said:
Game is offline only for now.

There are no goals, it's just a sandbox. BUT:

1) If you buy the game, you're buying all future versions of it as well. And there are plans to implement a proper adventure mode (with a quest etc).

2) Since it's still in alpha it is half-off. So might as well buy it now if you think you might be interested down the line.

3) I don't think "just a sandbox" is a negative in this instance. Typically I have trouble with "make your own fun!" games, but not here. The game gives a good feeling of always giving players one more thing to work towards.

Thanks. I think I'll pick it up this weekend.

Cday

Banned
Imagine my annoyance when I climbed out of my mineshaft to discover a lowly sheep had infiltrated my air tight base. I think he was an assassin.

In all seriousness he just sat there looking around and then he would pause to give me this stupid look and he kept doing it until I went over to the door at which point he started jumping up and down like he wanted out. I opened the door and he went on his way to do whatever it is that sheep do. It was odd because I didn't know the AI in this game was capable of such awareness.

EDIT: ^ awesome sheep story

Funky Functionality said:
Neither do I, but after exploring some new ones here at work, I really think I need to. I mined for hours yesterday at home and only ever came across scarce coal and 5 stray pieces of iron ore. One of the worlds I started here at work had more iron ore in my inventory in less than 20 minutes... so it looks like I'll be starting over.

I'll take some pics of my humble abode before it's gone forever. I had a nice "kitchen" going, lol.

Damn, I think you just talked me into it. I've used up all my coal and my mining hasn't found any more (want to melt more sand into glass, good on torches for now). Never seen ANY metal at all. Think I'll save my game and fool around with new worlds a bit.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Cday said:
Imagine my annoyance when I climbed out of my mineshaft to discover a lowly sheep had infiltrated my air tight base. I think he was an assassin.

In all seriousness he just sat there looking around and then he would pause to give me this stupid look and he kept doing it until I went over to the door at which point he started jumping up and down like he wanted out. I opened the door and he went on his way to do whatever it is that sheep do. It was odd because I didn't know the AI in this game was capable of such awareness.

He spawned because your floor is made of grass. Get rid of the grass to keep them out.

Cday said:
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft

the folder was hidden for some god aweful reason and therefore didnt come up in a search or anything else. I HATE how MS hides folders. What's the point?

They do it to protect users from themselves. Probably for the best with many users, haha.

Meanwhile, I've started a new world. I see coal (and Iron I think) in the mountainside on the surface, as well as a waterfall, and some floating in the sky landmasses. Nice.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Wahey, the thread title was changed. Much better, even if it was just '-' to '='.

Razorskin said:
Here's the terrain.png, updated to include all the new stuff from today.
NYAnc.png

Did you create this terrain pack yourself? I love it.

Oh man there's like 4 waterfalls at least near my settlement in the new world. I'm so going to figure out how to redirect some water to form a moat.

EDIT: It's broad daylight and I have spiders and creepers chasing me across the open field, wtf?

2efns60.png

Here's the quaint mountainside dwelling I'll be abandoning for a little while in hopes of finding a more interesting world. This is probably about 6 hours of work.

First, the mountain I carved into, with the watchtower peering over the peak:
29x7pew.jpg

A view of the tower from behind the mountain as well as my little lake:
1zpi6wp.jpg

Welcome sign on the front door. Get it? :p
9kti60.jpg

This is the first room with my utilitarian "kitchen" area, complete with cabinets. As many of you may have noticed, chests don't work when their lids are against a block, so excavating 2x1 above the large one and 1x1 above the small one allow them both to work while being wall-mounted and appearing to meet up with the ceiling. The ladder on the left leads straight up the middle of the tower:
2kn90l.jpg

hrfxwm.jpg

This is the beginning of my first mine shaft. It leads down, turns 180°, leads down, and repeats for 4 levels. The square cobblestone building you see out the window is the eventual exit room for the large excavation after a long ladder climb:
295zvbd.jpg

One of the 180° turns of the shaft leading down into the mine:
65n2ap.jpg

And finally, a view from the tower at night.
343kks5.jpg

Farewell, relatively flat and boring area.

rodvik

This is the first room with my utilitarian "kitchen" area, complete with cabinets. As many of you may have noticed, chests don't work when their lids are against a block, so excavating 2x1 above the large one and 1x1 above the small one allow them both to work while being wall-mounted and appearing to meet up with the ceiling. The ladder on the left leads straight up the middle of the tower:
2kn90l.jpg

Love it, especially this shot. Nice idea making cabinets like that.

Well, I certainly feel like I left less behind now, haha. Awesome place. I think I like your stairs better than the steeper ones I was using on the last map, so when I need stairs I'm doing those ones.

G-Fex

I put it on peaceful so I can finally make huge houses, castles, etc.

I'm mining in a tunnel under my house, I hear noises when I go deep deep into it. Then I found a cave, I hope nothing comes out of it but I'll keep mining.

What'd you guys do to get glass, also how do you make levers or buttons work in conjuction with things?

platypotamus said:
I think I like your stairs better than the steeper ones I was using on the last map, so when I need stairs I'm doing those ones.
Thanks! They're basically a series of rooms 3 blocks tall, 2 wide, 2 deep, and each room is one block lower than the last, with two half-height steps on each level so you don't have to jump when running back up. Very quick and easy to excavate without inadvertently falling to your death if you break through a cavern ceiling.

G-Fex said:
What'd you guys do to get glass, also how do you make levers or buttons work in conjuction with things?
You need a furnace (made from cobblestone), some sand, and something like coal or wood for fuel. As for the switches... no idea, haven't bothered to make any yet.

Razorskin said:
I wish! It's from the forum, a lot of other good textures packs there too.
Dude, this 3D Dot Game Heroes terrain is AWESOME:

78305701.png

Blizzard

Banned

Hey, that's cool. Do two adjacent cabinets automatically merge like that? o_O

The last few ingame days have been spent killing monsters/dying/recovering instead of finding coal. Also, since the terrain generator is apparently even cooler now, plus new materials, etc., I guess I'm gonna just make another world and see how that one goes. :D

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Can anyone confirm that the new terrain generator is actually superior in terms of coal/ore, and not just..... different? I really like the world I have now, but the allure of more coal and easier iron/gold/diamond is pretty strong...

TheExecutive said:
Yeah i dug around in there and there is just the .exe on my desktop :(
Try switch on "show hidden folders" in the folder settings or use

C:\Users\[your username]\Appdata\Roaming\.minecraft

I made a symbolic link so I don't need to go there everytime I want to change anything :)

Howto:

Copy the content of the ".minecraft" folder whereever you want it to be (G:\betas\Minecraft\files in my case)
Delete the folder in roaming!

Start
type cmd -> run as Administrator
type cd C:\Users\[your name]\AppData\Roaming
hit enter
type mklink /d ".minecraft" "Your folder path"
hit enter
(the last step as an example with my folder would be mklink /d ".minecraft" "G:\betas\Minecraft\files")
profit

I hope this helps!

Found a cool floating island with waterfall:

23i86lz.jpg

Wish there was some kind of teleporter system so I could get up and down without having to have a huge permanent bridge or ladder.

Boonoo

You might be able to swim up that waterfall; give it a try!

Teleporters are apparently on the way; who knows how they'll work, though.

Blizzard

Banned
Confidence Man said:

Wish there was some kind of teleporter system so I could get up and down without having to have a huge permanent bridge or ladder.
Wait, that's AUTOMATIC now?! Looks like my wish is being granted with cool terrain. If he can only add giant caves like my screenshots a page or so ago (go look if you haven't, they were made with tons of edited-in TNT or something), and different weather/climates, then life will be awesome.

Kuran

Banned
Confidence Man said:

http://i28.tinypic.com/23i86lz.jpg

Can't you just use the waterfall as an elevator? If you hold the jump key whilst inside you should be able to ride it up...

Oh, this game. <3

This pretty much captures all my childhood dreams of what a game could be.

It satisfies every desire; creation, destruction, exploration, danger, everything.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
This is what I hoped From Software's Pixel game series would be like. From needs to study this game engine top to bottom and design their next projects around this while paying Notch millions for the privilege of studying his code. So much potential with this engine. Gameplay over graphics folks. Never forget gameplay over graphics.

I've just spent the last 2 and a half hours hollowing out what is going to become the basement for my epic castle.

I have something like 700 dirt in a chest. Anything cool I can do with it (current plans are just eventual fields and foundation pieces for constructions, which isn't that exciting.)

Fitz

If anyone's still wondering, I tested to be certain and you 100% CAN farm papyrus. Just plant it onto any mud or grass mud block next to water and chop off the second/third layer whenever it pops up. Actually, it's much easier to farm than wheat because you don't need to prepare the land, you don't need to replant after farming the crops (so long as you only harvest the tops) and you can't accidentally walk on a block and ruin it. Only thing better about wheat farming is that the blocks only need to be within 9 squares of water to remain fertile.

Oh, this game. <3

This pretty much captures all my childhood dreams of what a game could be.

It satisfies every desire; creation, destruction, exploration, danger, everything.

It is simply awesome!

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
In all seriousness:

MINECRAFT |OT| Mining, Crafting, Building, and Surviving in the Ultimate Sandbox Game

Use this one for the OT. Basically sums it up.

And the 3d dot game heroes skin looks awesome.

Boo at teleporting. Make it so you use animals or make our own vehicles with coal as fuel. Of course you'd need to make proper roads but teleporting seems lazy. :/

Kritz

Banned
So I just found out three things.

1. Slimes spawn on peaceful.
2. GIANT CAVE SLIME OH GOD
3. THEY ARE NOT FRIENDLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom