• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubius

Rainforest-temperate - Cougar Creeper
Rainforest - Spider Creeper
Seasonal forest - Camouflage Creeper
Forest - Moose Creeper
Savanna - Boar Creeper
Shrubland
Taiga
Desert-Grass - Ant Lion - Creeper
Desert - Scorpion Creeper
Ice - Polar Bear Creeper
Desert-Tundra - Seal Creeper

So many explosive possibilities!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
EVH said:
Rainforest-temperate
Rainforest
Seasonal forest
Forest
Savanna
Shrubland
Taiga
Desert-Grass
Desert
Ice
Desert-Tundra

Biomes, as notch just said in twitter.com/notch
I was thinking like three or four...YES PLEASE! :D

Sanic

thespot84 said:
is your java updated?
Yep. I just don't know what it could be. It only happens in multiplayer, and even then it only started happening about 6 hours ago. I was fine before that.

Chinner

Banned
ive been working on this the last two days:
w9xkqe.jpg

what should i exactly do? keep it going under the sea?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
So apparently worlds aren't circular, but generate based on how far you travel?

I decided to circumnavigate the world. 50 minutes later some one told me you can't.

My server admin is going to have quite the shock.. how much space would that takeup/generate?

Mudkips

Banned
Syth_Blade22 said:
So apparently worlds aren't circular, but generate based on how far you travel?

I decided to circumnavigate the world. 50 minutes later some one told me you can't.

My server admin is going to have quite the shock.. how much space would that takeup/generate?

Won't take up much space at all, actually.
I think it only generates a bit farther than what you can see.
So if you're just walking forward, you just generate a thin rectangle of world.

elseanio

PYRAMID! Took so long :lol

The Lava is an attempt to light up the inside. Dunno if it's gonna stay yet. Still working on the interior

23kyc0y.jpg

99h3ix.jpg

x3guc2.jpg

t06ivl.jpg

Mudkips

Banned
Metalic Sand said:
Would be interesting to have a group of people take a path/split up to try to generate a 1GB world.

Then cartograph it!

Pretty sure you'd never get cartographer to run on a 1 GB world.
It would ate all ur peanut butter ram.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Whoa... that pyramid is great. I would glass up the lava waterfall though or you'll eventually run into it. Or at least build in a couple fire extinguishers (water pools) for when you inevitably catch yourself on fire.

HolyCheck

Mudkips said:
I think you should replace all visible walls and floors with glass
, top and bottom.

make it the worlds most bad arse stair case.

Mudkips said:
Won't take up much space at all, actually.
I think it only generates a bit farther than what you can see.
So if you're just walking forward, you just generate a thin rectangle of world.

most excellent, cheers.

oh snap @ that pyramid

Vlad

kennah said:

The only concern I have with that is that it looks like there's an additional biome in the background on the right (looks like some sand mountains), making me wonder how big the average biome is. I don't want them to stretch out forever, but if they're too small then you could theoretically stand on a hilltop and look down on this patchwork quilt of different environments.

I guess we'll find out in a few days!

So does that picture mean I will be able to get away from my Icy world? I was thinking about starting all over, since I got bored quick of the snow :(

sgnhh

Neo Member
I wouldn't expect them to be huge, but it could probably be edited by whoever is running the server.

Also, just read about temperatures in Realistic mode. Freezing to death in tundra/taiga = awesome.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
So I made my first mob trap...but it doesn't work very well, mobs rarely seem to fall in it...what am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?
Screenshot2010-10-26at71841PM.png

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
sgnhh said:
I wouldn't expect them to be huge, but it could probably be edited by whoever is running the server.

Also, just read about temperatures in Realistic mode. Freezing to death in tundra/taiga = awesome

Say what?

r1chard

Rufus said:
And if you don't want to get lost, only place torches on the left side of tunnels, so that if you want to find your way back out, you just have to keep the torches on your right.
Yep, and also I wall off areas I know are exhausted off any minerals when I get around to digging -- making sure the other side of the wall is still illuminated, of course.

Post-crash I've managed to get myself back into gear, done some more sailing and found a little more clay. Man that stuff is as rare as diamonds. Funny given my (real-life) house (and more importantly garden) is built on top of the crap ;-)

r1chard

siddx said:
So I made my first mob trap...but it doesn't work very well, mobs rarely seem to fall in it...what am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?
You need to be in the middle of the trap as bait :)

HolyCheck

0vusk.jpg

Still in progress, It seems bland. I was wondering how others gave their castle a look that stands out more? should I throw in some unrefined stone?

ZZMitch

Syth_Blade22 said:
Still in progress, It seems bland. I was wondering how others gave their castle a look that stands out more? should I throw in some unrefined stone?

It's all about location. That one is boring :D

Sciz

r1chard said:
Post-crash I've managed to get myself back into gear, done some more sailing and found a little more clay. Man that stuff is as rare as diamonds. Funny given my (real-life) house (and more importantly garden) is built on top of the crap ;-)
It's much rarer, actually. In every world I've checked so far clay deposits, if any, number in the hundreds while several thousand diamonds exist. Admittedly clay exists in fairly large chunks on the surface instead of being buried evenly in little 2x2x2 pockets at the bottom of the world, but it's still very much a substance to be treasured.

Syth_Blade22 said:
Detail. Variety. A symmetrical series of identical cubes making larger identical cubes is boring. Run a Google image search for castles.

ZZMitch

Sciz said:
It's much rarer, actually. In every world I've checked so far clay deposits, if any, number in the hundreds while several thousand diamonds exist. Admittedly clay exists in fairly large chunks on the surface instead of being buried evenly in little 2x2x2 pockets at the bottom of the world, but it's still very much a substance to be treasured.

I wish I knew this on my first world... my spawn was on a mound of clay, just thought it was stone! :lol

HolyCheck

ZZMitch said:
It's all about location. That one is boring :D

:( Once my Stargate (as seen over the right shoulder) is made out of obsidian.. thus creating a wormhole to hell.. that shall change.

r1chard said:
I was messing around with the various cartographer programs, and one of them (I can't remember which) counts up the different block types in your world. On my map, clay is significantly rarer than diamond... like, by 10x at least.

I suppose it makes sense since clay is in a much more accessible location, but it still surprised me at how rare it is.

Edit: Bah, beaten. :lol

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Mama Robotnik said:
Just a comment I need to add MineGAFt:

I've been playing for a month and have tunnel systems in three continents. I have outposts and glass bridges. I have dominated dungeons and crushed the spawncages. I've fought and defeated three creepers at once. I'm set fire to entire islands, plunged myself into a volcano of my own design, diverted waterfalls, destroyed seas and levelled mountains. I've become God in a world of one...

AND YET I STILL CAN'T FIND A SINGLE FUCKING SLIME.

WHY?

Just wandered into my main mine and was greeted by this...

Screenshot2010-10-26at75111PM.png

Screenshot2010-10-26at75621PM.png

Screenshot2010-10-26at75714PM.png

:lol :lol :lol I went through 4 iron blades killing them all. So bizarre, there is usually at least one in my mine...but never like this.

pirata

toweroctober26.jpg

My tower now that I've been working one in. Not quite as ghetto now.

Now, something completely different: In my mountain lair, I've been digging tunnels for a while now. The main one I've dug is one that continuously slopes downward. I don't know why I've done it. The only thing it's yielded so far is a few pieces of iron. An hour or so ago, I reached a point where it became mostly dirt again, and I could suddenly hear a slithering noise! I thought that since it was nighttime, I must be nearing the surface of a much lower-altitude part of the world (since I'm in a snowy mountain range) that was covered with night beasts. I came back the next day, dug a bit, and this is what happened:

myfirstcave.jpg

SO, Gaf...I now have the game paused here. I've found a cave/dungeon, haven't I? There are going to be all sorts of scary monsters here, aren't there? I don't want them in my lair! Also, I'm afraid that if I dig anymore, my lair will be flooded with water or lava (or both!).

What actions does GAF propose? Should I explore it?

Jasoco

Banned
See where the water meets the lava? That's Obsidian. It's just a normal deep cave. I found one full of that shit once. I mined the hell out of it and there's still obsidian and shit down there. There won't be any more monsters than there normally are. What you do need to look out for is mossy cobblestone. Then you know you found a dungeon. That's just a regular cave.

Go explore! Remember to stay near water in case you accidentally catch on fire.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So, in my new world I spawned practically right on top of a mine entrance. Nothing major, until I dug out a piece of coal. It opened into a mine that so far has had 3 dungeons and roughly 20 diamond.

My plan? Empty the entire thing and make my own Minas Tirith. It's that fucking huge. It dwarfs the one I was talking about before the Saveocaplyse. I haven't moved on the outside, and already the game has generated 3 MB of just one mine.

tl;dr - found a mine the size of my wang.

pirata

I see diamond and redstone!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

EDIT: I better make that iron pick now, huh? Also, I think I might expand this part of the tunnel and make it my exploration base!

EDIT2:

myfirstminebetterview.jpg

How the hell am I supposed to mine that?

Sai-kun

Banned
WanderingWind said:
So, in my new world I spawned practically right on top of a mine entrance. Nothing major, until I dug out a piece of coal. It opened into a mine that so far has had 3 dungeons and roughly 20 diamond.

My plan? Empty the entire thing and make my own Minas Tirith. It's that fucking huge. It dwarfs the one I was talking about before the Saveocaplyse. I haven't moved on the outside, and already the game has generated 3 MB of just one mine.

tl;dr - found a mine the size of my wang.

watch out for
pyRps.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom