• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

r1chard

Woo! I finally made it all the way back to home with a load of clay :)

[which included sitting in a boat in the middle of a large lake for one entire night, afraid that something might try to swim out and sink me]

ZZMitch

r1chard said:
Woo! I finally made it all the way back to home with a load of clay :)

[which included sitting in a boat in the middle of a large lake for one entire night, afraid that something might try to swim out and sink me]

You are lucky notch hasn't added water mobs yet :lol

r1chard

Are there creeper spawn dungeons? I'm having trouble finding gunpowder and want to play with TNT... trying to find the buggers in the dark is ... challenging :)

Vlad

r1chard said:
Are there creeper spawn dungeons? I'm having trouble finding gunpowder and want to play with TNT... trying to find the buggers in the dark is ... challenging :)

Nope, just skeleton, spider, and zombie dungeons at the moment.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Vlad said:
Nope, just skeleton, spider, and zombie dungeons at the moment.

Yeah nothing like coming across a spawner room filled with skeletons using your ass for target practice. I could hear them rambling around inside one time, and took my sweet ass time breaking inside, by which time the room was filled with the bastards making my termination of them a long and death filled adventure.

Vlad

siddx said:
Yeah nothing like coming across a spawner room filled with skeletons using your ass for target practice. I could hear them rambling around inside one time, and took my sweet ass time breaking inside, by which time the room was filled with the bastards making my termination of them a long and death filled adventure.

Yup. Skeleton dungeons are easily the roughest to deal with. Even peeking your head around the corner means that you're going to have a bunch of arrows headed your way. The nice thing is, skeletons don't take too well to friendly fire.

I usually just run back and forth in front of the entrance until I hear the "skeleton being hurt" sound. Eventually there will just be one left. I'll take him out then run in to destroy the spawner.

Jasoco

Banned
pirata said:
myfirstminebetterview.jpg

How the hell am I supposed to mine that?
Very carefully. As someone suggested first cover the whole thing with water then cut off the supplies and dig one up. See if there's lava under it. If so, you'll need to make sure you're right next to the Obsidian block when it breaks or it'll fall into the lava. I gathered 96 of them this way. Sure I could make a factory, but I don't want to!

vermadas

elseanio said:
PYRAMID! Took so long :lol

The Lava is an attempt to light up the inside. Dunno if it's gonna stay yet. Still working on the interior

http://i52.tinypic.com/23kyc0y.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/99h3ix.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/x3guc2.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/t06ivl.jpg

I was going to build a pyramid that went from the ground level all the way up to the sky ceiling. After some experimentation I realized that it would require way too much stone, so I made an octahedron instead.

KWvby.png

Which, incidentally, also has a column of lava.

UU9B8.png

I'm not really sure what else to do with the inside of it yet, if anything.

Here's a pic of my previous project...

aot5n.png

In order to get to it you have to climb a tower at my base which reaches to the sky ceiling (the top of the tower is also made of lava encased with glass to act as a beacon) and then ride a long minecart track. It exits into an underwater tunnel with a glass top that goes underneath the floating island. Then you climb a ladder which has flowing water all around it up to the island.

I did this recently also:

ZIWMG.png

It's made of glass and lava. :D

upandaway

Yeah that island looks incredible.

If it were me I'd destroy the column it rests on (maybe replace it with water), then connect a glass stairway from the land.

upandaway said:
I kinda thought otherwise because it has what looks like a ladder eh I don't know I won't analyze a picture

Looks awesome either way

Oh I didn't even notice that, yea some kind of ladder there. Also seems like there's glass there, too.

Jasoco

Banned
Althane said:
So what's the best way to do buildling in the air? Like the octahedron, how'd you managed to get that built so well?
Build the scaffolding then remove it after your sky structure is built.

I discovered if you set the Sneak key to Caps Lock, you can toggle it instead of having to hold the key down. It makes it so much easier to do on my MacBook since I don't need to keep a finger on Shift all the time.

The only problem is if you go to the menu or inventory, it forgets that it's on. So you just need to turn it off and back on again. No big deal. Such a time saver. Sneak = Caps Lock. Do it!

vermadas

Fusebox said:
Wow, I love this one!

http://imgur.com/aot5n.png

Nice greenhouse and water feature too!

Thanks :D Unfortunately, I spend a lot of time outside of the chunk I built it in so my plants hardly ever grow :lol

upandaway said:
Yeah that island looks incredible.

If it were me I'd destroy the column it rests on (maybe replace it with water), then connect a glass stairway from the land.

funkmastergeneral said:
That column looks like water to me

It was one of those ideas that sounded like it would look great in theory, but when implemented it didn't quite have the desired effect. I wanted the water to conceal the column with the ladder inside of it so it just appeared as if water was flowing out of the island, but the water is too translucent.

I like the glass stairway idea. I might do something like that to connect the other landmass (which I intend to explore with the biome patch).

Althane said:
So what's the best way to do buildling in the air? Like the octahedron, how'd you managed to get that built so well?

The octrahedron was actually easier than the island. Since I wanted it to have grass on the island I had to build a stairway of dirt from the existing grassy ground all the way up (and wait several minecraft days. I did other things in the meantime). The most annoying part was making the island not look like a floating disk. I wanted it to have the appearance of being a chunk of land. So I had to build temporary scaffolding underneath and attach lots of dirt blocks to the bottom with varying lengths. I was working on that when the sneak patch came out, it made it SO much easier.

With the octahedron, I at least could start at the ground. I had to do some measuring and easy math to determine the halfway point where my floor would be, but other than that, it was actually kind of monotonous.

Sai-kun

Banned
Time to show off my home! This is on my friend's server! Apparently one day, it crashed or whatever, and when he got it up and running again...the ground was like...well, i'll let the photos speak for themselves :lol

javaw2010-10-2623-39-38-63.png

javaw2010-10-2623-39-36-31.png

Like that :lol So basically I just dug out in the middle, I have stairs spiraling up the inside of the mountain i'm on and the opposite one, connected by a skybridge! And the tunnel (dubbed "Long-Ass Hallway" by the other people on the server!) goes from the end of the mountain (around that sharp corner in the second picture) up to around here:

javaw2010-10-2623-40-59-39.png

Where I have another skybridge connecting the end of the hallway (on the other side of the bridge) to this lower area of the mountain (where I'm standing in the third picture):

javaw2010-10-2623-39-54-42.png

And you can't actually see the bridge because it's kinda far.

And then I have my house at the end of this peninsula, under the water, but in a very strange spot. And I swear to you, outside of the glass floor/wall, and obviously the fact that I dug it out, the wall was like this when I found it :lol

javaw2010-10-2623-41-37-86.png

And in the morning...

javaw2010-10-2623-47-47-84.png

Yeah, the water is just there, it doesn't come into the room. If I place a block there, I know the water will start to behave normally, so I've just left it as is, because it looks awesome.

Sorry for all the pics :D I have pretty much just claimed this entire section of the world. Two giant mountains and a peninsula!

pirata

Jasoco said:
Very carefully. As someone suggested first cover the whole thing with water then cut off the supplies and dig one up. See if there's lava under it. If so, you'll need to make sure you're right next to the Obsidian block when it breaks or it'll fall into the lava. I gathered 96 of them this way. Sure I could make a factory, but I don't want to!

The thing is, if I made a bucket, I wouldn't be able to make an iron pick, as I only have five pieces of iron! Do caves have a higher chance of having iron? If so, I should probably explore the cave for iron before I try extracting anything else. Also, I remember now that I actually probably know where the natural entrance to the cave is! If you look at my previous posts in the thread, you'll know that on my first day, I fell into a steep, dark pit with a skeleton that killed me. That's probably this cave, or even a different one! The thing is, I haven't even returned to my spawn since fleeing from it on my first night (it was a pit in the ground crawling with Creepers and skeletons that kept killing me!). I'm pretty sure I know what direction it is from my lair, so I should probably start exploring there, huh?

Do you guys think that I should put all of my stuff into storage and kill myself so that I can find my spawn?

EDIT: And now I just found some gold after breaking a little pocket of dirt in my tunnel leading down into my cave. It's like I've been digging around all the good stuff this whole time! Unfortunately, I have nothing with which to mine it *sigh*

zero01101

Neo Member
vermadas said:
I was going to build a pyramid that went from the ground level all the way up to the sky ceiling. After some experimentation I realized that it would require way too much stone, so I made an octahedron instead. [snip]

this is precisely what i did. started at the top, worked all the way down to sea level. you have to swim inside. according to my poor math and hilarious failure to notice that i had 2 blocks instead of 1 for my top level (thus giving my pyramid asymmetrical sides,) i estimate that it has approximately 11556 blocks of cobblestone for a full, hollow pyramid. all minerals were painstakingly gathered by hand over the course of something like a bloody real-life month.

apologies for tiny pics; i uploaded these as 1920x1080 and don't want to b0rk the page width for everyone.

SHLNIl.jpg

crappy at-night picture

kXakvl.jpg

inside the pyramid; one single torch at the very top provides the only structural lighting. any other torches are on the ground.

yv1sbl.png

daytime pyramid

http://i.imgur.com/5G1mb.jpg is the full-size c10t map for size reference.
[edited to include correct link, derp]

http://djabacus.imgur.com/minecraft is the imgur album with fullsize pics if anyone is still perversely interested.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
That glass texture is fantastic. I'm using the RPG pack right now, and it's fantastic...except for the glass texture looks really stupid in any application that isn't a window. I had a glass pyramid that went from awesome to freaking stupid looking.

Vinci

Danish
vermadas said:
I was going to build a pyramid that went from the ground level all the way up to the sky ceiling. After some experimentation I realized that it would require way too much stone, so I made an octahedron instead.

KWvby.png

I built the exact same thing, though mine alternated per side with different materials. Looks amazing, BTW. I probably should've made mine of the same material - after a while, the mixing and matching got to not only be tedious but didn't look all that great. Nice work. I know it takes forever and a day to build it.

pirata

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I found some iron right by some lava and tried to mine it, but there was lava underneath and it fell right in, and then I did too!

NNOOOOOOOOOO! And it's night too! Thankfully, I put a lot of my stuff in storage, but now I'm naked and am going to spawn in the dark in a place I haven't explored very much! GRRRRRRRR. And I REALLY need more iron!

EDIT:

spawn.jpg

Here's my spawn!

Is that sand? Can I finally make glass now? If so, then at least SOMETHING good came out of this!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
pirata said:
EDIT:

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz41/piratapequeno/MINECRAFT/spawn.jpg[/IMG]

Here's my spawn!

Is that sand? Can I finally make glass now? If so, then at least SOMETHING good came out of this!
You....haven't found any sand before? Its usually ridiculously common, what was up with your world?

pirata

The_Technomancer said:
You....haven't found any sand before? Its usually ridiculously common, what was up with your world?

I dunno....maybe It's because there isn't any standing water and I'm at a high elevation.

In other news, while building a land bridge through the cavern, a Creeper jumped out at me into the lava and scared the shit out of me.

Also....how do you guys defend yourselves against monsters? The few times that I've run into one, it usually make mincemeat out of me.

Fixed1979

pirata said:
I dunno....maybe It's because there isn't any standing water and I'm at a high elevation.

In other news, while building a land bridge through the cavern, a Creeper jumped out at me into the lava and scared the shit out of me.

Also....how do you guys defend yourselves against monsters? The few times that I've run into one, it usually make mincemeat out of me.

Make yourself a sword and keep some food in inventory. Once you get the material make up some armor. Keep your area well lit, I usually stay back and then try to move in and time my strike to hit as soon as I get within range and then move back again...but I probably get killed just as much as anyone.

EDIT: Is there any benifit to starting a new map when the patch gets released? As far as I can tell everything new should be automatically updated in our current maps...

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Holy shit. After finding that dungeon underneath my spawn point last week, I find no less than four dungeons right underneath my castle, two of which overlapped in the corners. :lol That was fun trying to clear that Zombie/Skeleton combo out!

Whoever said mossy cobblestone is the rarest stone in the game is (politely) full of poo. Hell, I've now found more dungeons than I have single blocks of diamond in my world... and don't even think of asking about clay. :lol

probune

EDIT: Is there any benifit to starting a new map when the patch gets released? As far as I can tell everything new should be automatically updated in our current maps...

It should, yeah, unless you have a big world with a lot of terrain already generated. Then it would be a bitch to get to the borders and spawn more terrain with the biomes

Vinci

Danish
pirata said:

Most monsters can be defeated using a simple 'move in, strike, move back' routine, but in the case of skeletons with their long-range attack, this doesn't work nearly as well. Try to keep something between you and them, or stand around a corner from them, and wait for them to come to you, hitting them each time before they have a chance to shoot you with arrows. Do not chase them. It's difficult to close range enough to hit them with a sword, whilst dodging their arrows. You'll end up losing a lot of health that way.

Best case scenario for all monsters: Having a bow. The sword is fine for the melee-oriented mobs, but it's a bit impractical versus long-range ones (like the skeleton and the upcoming ghast).

funkmastergeneral said:
Looks terrible

I'm assuming that screen is a condensed setting in order to show different biomes side by side and isn't indicative of how it will actually work in the game.

I'm assuming...

So I clean out my first dungeon, get a nice load of wheat and bread and saddle, and just barely make it out alive. Then I notice a seam of 10 diamonds. I grab them and make the easy trek home through safely torchlit tunnels. It's all in the bag. Then I somehow manage to walk straight into some lava right in front of me, and die instantly. A rage immediately grips me, the likes of which I haven't felt playing a videogame since I was about 5 or so.

Minecraft, you are a cruel, cruel mistress.

Bison11

zero01101 said:
this is precisely what i did. started at the top, worked all the way down to sea level. you have to swim inside. according to my poor math and hilarious failure to notice that i had 2 blocks instead of 1 for my top level (thus giving my pyramid asymmetrical sides,) i estimate that it has approximately 11556 blocks of cobblestone for a full, hollow pyramid. all minerals were painstakingly gathered by hand over the course of something like a bloody real-life month.

apologies for tiny pics; i uploaded these as 1920x1080 and don't want to b0rk the page width for everyone.

SHLNIl.jpg

crappy at-night picture

kXakvl.jpg

inside the pyramid; one single torch at the very top provides the only structural lighting. any other torches are on the ground.

yv1sbl.png

daytime pyramid

http://i.imgur.com/5G1mb.jpg is the full-size c10t map for size reference.
[edited to include correct link, derp]

http://djabacus.imgur.com/minecraft is the imgur album with fullsize pics if anyone is still perversely interested.

What texture pack is that....its awesome

Oyashiro

Does anybody know a good map application for OSX? I made a little house and stored a lot of my stuff in there. Then I found a GIGANTIC mine and got a ton of iron and shit, but I fell into lava and couldn't get out :( So yeah, now I'm trying to figure out how the fuck to get back to my house and i absolutely cannot find it on my own.

I have an app called MC Map Live, which is really really nice but it doesn't show where my character is (at least I don't think it does... I looked through all the settings and stuff and couldn't see anything that showed my character on the map) Is there any app out there that will show my map AND where my character is?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hey, can someone upload the default texture pack for me, or link me to it? I can't find it after some searching, and I need to make some modifications, and I'm on Mac.

xtop

Strummerjones said:
So I clean out my first dungeon, get a nice load of wheat and bread and saddle, and just barely make it out alive. Then I notice a seam of 10 diamonds. I grab them and make the easy trek home through safely torchlit tunnels. It's all in the bag. Then I somehow manage to walk straight into some lava right in front of me, and die instantly. A rage immediately grips me, the likes of which I haven't felt playing a videogame since I was about 5 or so.

Minecraft, you are a cruel, cruel mistress.

this has happened to me all 3 times i've found diamonds. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom