• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vorador

Banned
Oyashiro said:
Does anybody know a good map application for OSX? I made a little house and stored a lot of my stuff in there. Then I found a GIGANTIC mine and got a ton of iron and shit, but I fell into lava and couldn't get out :( So yeah, now I'm trying to figure out how the fuck to get back to my house and i absolutely cannot find it on my own.

I have an app called MC Map Live, which is really really nice but it doesn't show where my character is (at least I don't think it does... I looked through all the settings and stuff and couldn't see anything that showed my character on the map) Is there any app out there that will show my map AND where my character is?

You could make an arrow with dirt or something to indicate where you are and use the MC Map to find the arrow.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It's easy to make vertical lines of dirt with the top part pointing in the direction of your house. You put torches on the top too and voilà.

WedgeX

Banned
Made my first trap for any and all mobs.

A simple 3 deep 3 across moat surrounding my base, with fires spaced out. It's been racking up the kills. Now all I have to do is figure out how to integrate the moat with my entrance.

minecraft6.jpg

And a view of the moon (or was that a sunset...?) from my dock.

minecraft5.jpg

gotee12

Oyashiro said:
Does anybody know a good map application for OSX? I made a little house and stored a lot of my stuff in there. Then I found a GIGANTIC mine and got a ton of iron and shit, but I fell into lava and couldn't get out :( So yeah, now I'm trying to figure out how the fuck to get back to my house and i absolutely cannot find it on my own.

I have an app called MC Map Live, which is really really nice but it doesn't show where my character is (at least I don't think it does... I looked through all the settings and stuff and couldn't see anything that showed my character on the map) Is there any app out there that will show my map AND where my character is?

Same thing happened to me. I created a compass and then used that to find my exact spawn point. From there I searched for my little fort (knowing I had not wondered far from my initial spawn in creating it). Once I found it again, I paid close attention to which direction is was from my starting spawn using the compass.

As I've said before, the game needs gps. Cuz you see, I have an itch, and this itch can only be scratched by building a couple gps satellites, a launchpad, a few rockets and a widescreen Tom Tom... all in block form.

Some friends and me are working to do an epic city in a friend's server.

Here is one of the latest maps:
minecraft20101027map.jpg

Theres a house for everyone, a library (the one that has book shape), a park, an underground metro railway with an underground ice bar, a park, a cannal, a sports center, a modern port, a flying castle, a vacational hotel in a island, a city hall with a parliament and we are going to build the 7 wonders of the ancient world + other monumental buildings.

Right now we have one of the wonders, the Alexandria Lighthouse, and we have also the Pantheon and the Colisseum. All this buildings have a scale of 1:2.

So, guys, is my snowy world always going to be snowy or are there seasons in the game? I'm tired of the snow! Should I travel somewhere else?

Belfast

SmokingBarrelX said:
I was reluctant to use any texture packs, but this one is gorgeous. Done, and done.

Tried making one like that, myself, where everything was essentially a flat color (hello Starfox), but that made mining like trying to find your way around a house of mirrors. :(

Mudkips

Banned
I can't be the only one who watched that video and got pissed off every time it turned to night.

Fucking day/night cycle.
Can't see shit!!

Log4Girlz

vermadas said:
I was going to build a pyramid that went from the ground level all the way up to the sky ceiling. After some experimentation I realized that it would require way too much stone, so I made an octahedron instead.

KWvby.png

Which, incidentally, also has a column of lava.

UU9B8.png

I'm not really sure what else to do with the inside of it yet, if anything.

Here's a pic of my previous project...

aot5n.png

In order to get to it you have to climb a tower at my base which reaches to the sky ceiling (the top of the tower is also made of lava encased with glass to act as a beacon) and then ride a long minecart track. It exits into an underwater tunnel with a glass top that goes underneath the floating island. Then you climb a ladder which has flowing water all around it up to the island.

I did this recently also:

ZIWMG.png

It's made of glass and lava. :D

Cool! Was gonna do the same, but instead made the floating pyramid flag bottomed with a hole in a middle with lava falling through :D

Irish

Mudkips said:
I can't be the only one who watched that video and got pissed off every time it turned to night.

Fucking day/night cycle.
Can't see shit!!

Yeah, I just switched back to GAF during the night cycle since I couldn't see shit.

Haunted

funkmastergeneral said:
All I see is snow zones, little bits of desert, and normal grassy areas. Boo.
Well, they're not integrated thematically yet. A future update will add proper elevation to the various zones (more mountains for the forest areas, flat plains for taiga and tundra) which will make the various biome flow more naturally.

Also:
Monster spawning and terrain features can be tied to individual biomes, so some biomes could get special trees, or special mobs, or different grass, to make them all more unique.

tumblr_lax4dmDT2W1qzb7ox.jpg

^ All the biomes currently in the game.

Sai-kun

Banned
Aw man. :( So I decided to build a skybridge from my mountain home, to the town where everyone else had stuff, and apparently the admin doesn't like that, so he's resetting the map, and he's pissed at me :( Gr. Lame

soultron

Banned
kennah said:
Hop on in, don't mess with people's shit.
Are there any general guidelines? Any areas people have already claimed that might not be marked? (Don't want to take a seemingly untouched area thinking that no one had claimed it beforehand.)

Can someone PM me the info?

Blizzard

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
All I see is snow zones, little bits of desert, and normal grassy areas. Boo.
I don't mean to be rude, but didn't you complain multiple times when Notch stopped updating weekly, and now that he has the business stuff calmed down and people to help him, and he's back at work trying to get new things into the game, and he's showing biomes (which I think on Twitter he said would be 80% done by the update?)...you're complaining because the things he is adding don't look good enough to you yet? He even said he delayed Biomes these extra couple of months because he thought the transitions between them didn't look good.

Just relax, wait for the updates to come out, and maybe Notch will improve them some more. Otherwise, maybe Minecraft isn't the game for you. :D

Even if transitions look silly and biomes are not varied "enough" when they come out, I think the variety will still be more interesting to me than it was before...

deleted

kennah said:
Also in Notch's Twitter

"Oh, and; Biomes will get larger. I'll tweak snow regions a bit as well."

Thats good. If I build a desert Fortress it will be awkward to see snow just 20 Blocks away.

Yeah they definitely look a bit small in the video. I'd like it to be that if you start out in one biome and want to see another, you've got to seriously travel, maybe walk for 5+ minutes rather than the 30 seconds to a minute it looks like right now. Especially with the addition of hell as a means of transportation, I think finding a new biome in your world should be wort of a special thing.

Filldough

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Some friends and me are working to do an epic city in a friend's server.

Theres a house for everyone, a library (the one that has book shape), a park, an underground metro railway with an underground ice bar, a park, a cannal, a sports center, a modern port, a flying castle, a vacational hotel in a island, a city hall with a parliament and we are going to build the 7 wonders of the ancient world + other monumental buildings.

Right now we have one of the wonders, the Alexandria Lighthouse, and we have also the Pantheon and the Colisseum. All this buildings have a scale of 1:2.

Holy fucking shit dude...

I... I have no (more) words....

pirata

The good news: While out exploring the countryside, I've found incredible landscapes, lots of coal, and finally some more iron!

The bad news: I'm lost. :(

EDIT: Even worse news: I now have to tread water until dawn or else drown.

Last time I'm setting up camp on a frozen lake...

EDIT2: It's day, and I think I know where I am... but HE'S here too!

EDIT3: He blew up right behind me, but I live on!

EDIT4: I'm home!!!

I have eight iron now. Should I make an iron pick and a bucket?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
pirata said:
The good news: While out exploring the countryside, I've found incredible landscapes, lots of coal, and finally some more iron!

The bad news: I'm lost. :(
:lol
Don't do what I did and think the world was round and keep walking for an hour.

pack up what you got, make a compass and head back home.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
So, is anyone considering living in Hell exclusively in one of their worlds? I'm going to abandon my current, before update, main world and just duke it out in the pits... but I'm thinking there is going to be some problem if I don't come prepared, so I'm thinking what I'll need to start a basic life. A care package of sorts.

I figure a sapling, dirt, a bucket of water, and 10 torches should do it.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
n8BitMan said:
So, is anyone considering living in Hell exclusively in one of their worlds? I'm going to abandon my current, before update, main world and just duke it out in the pits... but I'm thinking there is going to be some problem if I don't come prepared, so I'm thinking what I'll need to start a basic life. A care package of sorts.

I figure a sapling, dirt, a bucket of water, and 10 torches should do it.

You're mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom