• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brashnir

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Some friends and me are working to do an epic city in a friend's server.

Here is one of the latest maps:
minecraft20101027map.jpg

Theres a house for everyone, a library (the one that has book shape), a park, an underground metro railway with an underground ice bar, a park, a cannal, a sports center, a modern port, a flying castle, a vacational hotel in a island, a city hall with a parliament and we are going to build the 7 wonders of the ancient world + other monumental buildings.

Right now we have one of the wonders, the Alexandria Lighthouse, and we have also the Pantheon and the Colisseum. All this buildings have a scale of 1:2.

Nice work. My friend and I are also working on a Colisseum-like structure (though the design is much different than yours) and another arena based on the Circus Maximus. Neither are to any particular scale, but rather designed to fit into a particular area on the map with a plaza between them.

I'll post pics when they're done, but it's going to be a while. We're holding off on exterior work until we see what kind of blocks we'll have to work with after the update.

Here's an iso shot of the area we're working. You can see the general size and floorplans. Dirt arches will be empty space once the structures are built.

rhk4ky.jpg

ChazAshley

CharAznable's second cousin
sorry if this has been asked/answered before but how are you guys generating maps like that which such a low angle? Is it some option in cartograph that allows you to do that or some other program?

Or is that actually just the normal angled/oblique option in cartograph?

Brashnir

ChazAshley said:
sorry if this has been asked/answered before but how are you guys generating maps like that which such a low angle? Is it some option in cartograph that allows you to do that or some other program?

Or is that actually just the normal angled/oblique option in cartograph?

Choose "isometric" in Cartograph

Vlad

n8BitMan said:
You're right, there might not be any coal out there, might pack some of that.

Forget coal, I don't even go into caves packing as lightly as you mentioned.

If Ghasts really are as nasty as advertised, I'd probably be packing at least a full suit of armor, a diamond sword, a bow with plenty of arrows, lots of meat, and a full stack of torches. Some seeds, a hoe, plenty of dirt, and two buckets of water would also be a good idea, as there aren't any apparent ways to get healing items in Hell, as far as we know (potentially no grass for pigs to spawn on).

Agentnibs

Dear God! Every time I'm beginning to think my little kingdom is starting to look some what impressive I come into this thread and I'm reminded just how crappy my kingdom really is. :lol

Great job guys, this stuff just blows everything I've done away!

Brashnir

Agentnibs said:
Dear God! Every time I'm beginning to think my little kingdom is starting to look some what impressive I come into this thread and I'm reminded just how crappy my kingdom really is. :lol

Keep in mind that most of the more impressive things have been done on multiplayer servers which means a) more than one person working on it (3 in the case of mine) and b) no monsters.

Sometimes it also means c) people spawning blocks instead of mining for them, but in the case of mine, all blocks have been harvested legitimately, except those that can't be due to bugs.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Agentnibs said:

i know how you feel.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Shawsie64 said:
:lol

yeah need some string.. might try set up a trap..
Spiders are roughly 2x2x1 in size, meaning they can't pass through holes of single block width like Skeletons, Zombies and Creepers can. Dig underneath, chip a gap into the base of the dungeon, whirl away then quickly place a torch near the Spawner.

The sight will be bloody terrifying beyond belief at first though, trust me. :|

Shawsie64

Banned
SovanJedi said:
Spiders are roughly 2x2x1 in size, meaning they can't pass through holes of single block width like Skeletons, Zombies and Creepers can. Dig underneath, chip a gap into the base of the dungeon, whirl away then quickly place a torch near the Spawner.

The sight will be bloody terrifying beyond belief at first though, trust me. :|

haha oh man im gonna be shitting myself doing that =/

Ferga

I've decided...

to build this:

ff6wallpaper013-2560x1600.png

Give me 2-3 weeks GAF. I got the front done already.

making my own desert and it is not near my spawn place :lol

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Ferga said:
I've decided...

to build this:

File:Ff6gba_map05-FigaroCastle.png

Give me 2-3 weeks GAF. I got the front done already.

Do you have a big enough desert to build it on? I couldn't find any close enough to my spawn that would allow for such a huge project.

Finally caved in yesterday. Man, I really regret not doing it earlier. This game is really, really cool. I was still playing it up until an hour ago (it's 6am now).

So far I've just been creating an underground fortress at night while delving deeper into the caverns to see what I can find. As of yet, all I've found was a cavern filled with baddies, which I quickly closed up until I make some nice gear for myself. :lol

But yeah, I'm very impressed. Thanks for the little guide in the OP, it got me on my way to understanding the game's mechanics perfectly.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
There is something really fucked up happening with my game. My game suddenly went into overdrive and threw me into a lava pit. Then, upon respawning, it reset my world back about an hour. Kind of a double-edged sword, as I regained all the stuff unfairly taken from me by the first glitch, but I lost a fair amount of work.

Plus, no joke, I thought I saw a ghast but it vanished when I went closer. I have no idea what is going on. :lol

WedgeX

Banned
Started the outline of a 34x34 mining project. Each level is going to be 4 blocks tall. I'm actually hoping I don't run into many dungeons so I can see what the end product will look like :lol

Yay for dwarfing it.

Vinci

Danish
You know, my only issue with Minecraft's default graphics is the glass. Makes it hard as hell to see things really well through windows and the like. So annoying.

WanderingWind said:
There is something really fucked up happening with my game. My game suddenly went into overdrive and threw me into a lava pit. Then, upon respawning, it reset my world back about an hour. Kind of a double-edged sword, as I regained all the stuff unfairly taken from me by the first glitch, but I lost a fair amount of work.

Plus, no joke, I thought I saw a ghast but it vanished when I went closer. I have no idea what is going on. :lol

Herobrine is fuckin with your game, son.

Philthy

Vinci said:
You know, my only issue with Minecraft's default graphics is the glass. Makes it hard as hell to see things really well through windows and the like. So annoying.

Plenty of texture packs out there that have amazing looking glass. If you really like the default textures just cut and paste the glass from another pack using Gimp or something. I would probably wait till after the update though.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
WanderingWind said:

Oh god.. It's him..

Vinci

Danish
Philthy said:
Plenty of texture packs out there that have amazing looking glass. If you really like the default textures just cut and paste the glass from another pack using Gimp or something. I would probably wait till after the update though.

Kinda what I was thinking, yeah. But yes, I tend to prefer the original textures. All the other ones I've seen either take the game too seriously or not seriously enough, or are hitting some middle ground that I don't care for. Some of the Wind Waker inspired stuff is pretty slick though.

seb

Banned
Tryckser said:
Built a non spiderproove trap and let it run over night (realtime night) to farm... well :D

ok, here's how to fix the trap:
- replace 1 wood with sand every other block on the first level below water level
- remove the level above that one
- remove one block 2 levels above each sand block
- plant a cactus on each sand block
- profit!
spidertrap.png

Vlad

Ferrio said:
Guess fishing isn't in yet, last minute coding tomorrow for notch according to his twitter.

Another thing he mentioned was that apparently only players can go through portals at the moment (no monsters, minecarts, etc), and there's a loading screen when you enter or exit Hell.

r1chard

Going back to the previous discussion about the rarity of clay, I just discovered a map analysis tool "mian". The author talks about it in his post Where To Dig In Minecraft

minecraft.png

Clay barely registers....

Also interesting is that they all drop off below about 5. So really, just don't bother digging in around the bedrock, you're better off staying a few layers above...

Ferrio

Banned
r1chard said:
Also interesting is that they all drop off below about 5. So really, just don't bother digging in around the bedrock, you're better off staying a few layers above...

How's big is your map file? You gotta travel around until you found a beach and ocean really. Then just walk along the shore looking for it.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't have Twitter access at the moment, but for anyone who uses McAdmin on their server, I just saw these three links:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/dxm6h/apparently_dont_use_mcadmin/c13ow21
http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1013&t=66067
https://twitter.com/Notch

As far as I can tell, the author of McAdmin has a back door/autoupdate/debug mode so he could remotely do stuff to anyone's server running it if he wanted to. Although, I think I also heard it got open source'd, so someone should just be able to remove that code?

(of course, any game with autoupdate, like Minecraft, could presumably do the same thing, but this guy sounds a bit less trustworthy than Notch...we can only hope :lol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom