• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Pandaman said:
are you on the same computer/network? just use multiplayer.

We're on two different computers on the same wireless network. When I click MP, it says "Enter server info" or something. Is there a FAQ or something so I don't have to use this thread as a "DERP HOW DO I MP?"

Develop has an interview with Notch. The biggest news is that he's planning some kind of overarching narrative for the game, which I don't think has been revealed before. Sounds like something that could be a long way off, though.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Stumpokapow said:
Contest!

I'm getting my girlfriend Minecraft for Christmas (among other things obviously). I want something nice to actually present to her, so I was hoping to get some custom art, print it off on a glossy cardboard stock, and present it to her as a "gift card".

This is the aspect ratio I have in mind

$15 paypal or a <=$15 game gifted on Steam if anyone could whip together some custom art. What I thought of immediately was a Minecraft logo and a creeper maybe set against the backdrop of a mountain-style Minecraft terrain at night. If you have a different idea, that's cool too, but I really like the iconic Creeper design and it's gotta include some sort of terrain or room or cave or something.

Post your submissions here if you're interested so that others can use it. Just post a decent quality PNG file and link to an ultra-high resolution file suitable for printing (I'm going to print it at 150 or 300 dpi and want it to be a full sized gift card, so keep that in mind).
Alright, I'm in. I'll whip up something in the next few days.

fresquito

rohlfinator said:
Develop has an interview with Notch. The biggest news is that he's planning some kind of overarching narrative for the game, which I don't think has been revealed before. Sounds like something that could be a long way off, though.
Thanks.

I'm not fond AT ALL about the narrative thing. If they add a narrative, make it be a different game mode. I want my eternal survival mode.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
fresquito said:
Thanks.

I'm not fond AT ALL about the narrative thing. If they add a narrative, make it be a different game mode. I want my eternal survival mode.

I know the worry. I would hope that it's something that can, should you choose to, totally ignore and carry on building your stuff as normal (i.e. you don't have to play up to mission 5 in order to gain access to Redstone, for example.) But still, the fact that there are missions being left incomplete on purpose would annoy me too. One of those bugbears of mine, though I don't know if anybody else feels the same about it. Do they?

Drewsky

fresquito said:
Thanks.

Yeah narrative would be dumb. The whole reason I like this game is because you're free to do pretty much anything.

The Technomancer

Alright, this is my very first rough pass: its not perfect but its a start.
2g4iK.png

Cn2dD.png

SovanJedi said:
I know the worry. I would hope that it's something that can, should you choose to, totally ignore and carry on building your stuff as normal (i.e. you don't have to play up to mission 5 in order to gain access to Redstone, for example.) But still, the fact that there are missions being left incomplete on purpose would annoy me too. One of those bugbears of mine, though I don't know if anybody else feels the same about it. Do they?

Could be an overarching theme that never ends. Entailing achievements when NPPCs and mod villages are added. Giving new gamers a goal oriented way to learn the game and things to within the world which will only add to the game. Just because the game has a narrative doesn't mean it has to be linear or one that has an end. It's possible the narrative never ends along with the games sense of exploration.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
One thing I just realized - the update that added the ability to stoke furnaces with lava for extra-long burn time seemed pretty pointless before. After all, lava wasn't *that* common. Best to stick with coal.

But now, with The Slip... awwww yeah. :lol :lol :lol Now no one has any excuse to not be building with smooth stone! It is trivial (ish) to have 10+ furnaces cooking at all times.

Edit: Goddamn... reading impressions of new block types has me so pumped. I can't believe I'm so excited about... new blocks :lol :lol

HenryGale said:
Could be an overarching theme that never ends. Entailing achievements when NPPCs and mod villages are added. Giving new gamers a goal oriented way to learn the game and things to within the world which will only add to the game. Just because the game has a narrative doesn't mean it has to be linear or one that has an end. It's possible the narrative never ends along with the games sense of exploration.
If there was a mission structure that flowed endlessly like that in the right way then minecraft really would be game of the forever.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Okay, here is my adventure so far. I've only been playing for a week now, but I've been playing ALOT. This game is too much fun!

I started here:

Minecraft1_0002.jpg

I spawned in a sand crater at the base of a mountain. The ocean and beach is just outside the crater. Lots of sand. So I dig out the entire crater and get something like 30 stacks of sand, not to mention lots of dirt and stone.

So I recreate the crater floor in dirt and bury myself underground to keep myself safe from the baddies at night, and decide to build my stronghold here, nestled against the mountain and inside the crater. And I dig out a whole crapton of stone to build my fortress out of.

And here is the result:

Minecraft1_0160.jpg

I started by walling the mountain off in stone and torching it up to keep me safe. This didn't go as planned at first, as I had many breaches over the nights. Slowly I learned where my walls weak spots were and fixed them. I had more than one surprise creeper blow a hole in my keep as I built it!

Once I had a safe perimeter, I could build by both day and night. The keep goes part way into the mountain itself, and then the spire goes upward, using the mountain itself as support. I made sure to place many balconies and overlooks. I also used alot of glass, as I had plenty of sand to cook up.

Minecraft1_0157.jpg

Minecraft1_0094.jpg

The courtyard has a waterfall that I tunneled out to the ocean, I can plop my boat right outside the keep and sail out to sea, day or night. I also have a small garden. I'm going to redo the garden tho, it's layout could use improving.

After a bit I got tired of waiting for daylight to cut trees down, so I walled in an area to grow a tree farm so that I could safely cut wood at night too.

Minecraft1_0158.jpg

Minecraft1_0144.jpg

The glass area in the courtyard is a skylight for my mineshaft. The shaft goes straight down, and is very well lit by day because of this. Also it's cool just to be able to look down my mine from the courtyard!

Still lots to build, it's far from done yet. And I've mined into a HUGE network of caverns underneath the keep. I still haven't fully explored it all. I did mine into the ocean floor by accident once, that was fun! This game is damn fun.

Vinci

Danish
I'd probably just use the comic strip of the Creeper, Stump. It's one of the best images I've seen of the thing, and it represents one of the best aspects of the game. The whole "It'd be a shame if something were to happen to it." On the other side, the MINECRAFT logo and backdrop that Technomancer worked up for the one side.

EDIT: I see Minecraft has surpassed 500k copies sold! Woo-hoo!

The Technomancer

Vinci said:
I'd probably just use the comic strip of the Creeper, Stump. It's one of the best images I've seen of the thing, and it represents one of the best aspects of the game. The whole "It'd be a shame if something were to happen to it." On the other side, the MINECRAFT logo and backdrop that Technomancer worked up for the one side.

EDIT: I see Minecraft has surpassed 500k copies sold! Woo-hoo!
Hm, I'm fiddling around with the comic and the dimensions/proportions don't fit nicely to that card shape.

Vinci

Danish
The_Technomancer said:
Hm, I'm fiddling around with the comic and the dimensions/proportions don't fit nicely to that card shape.

Hmm. Any way to turn it on its side and scaling it? If not, oh well. Just a thought. :D

Sciz

Mengy said:
Okay, here is my adventure so far. I've only been playing for a week now, but I've been playing ALOT. This game is too much fun!

*snip*
This is really nicely done. Building directly into the terrain like that always has a nice effect, but you've got a very natural, freeform style that makes the place come alive.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Vinci said:
and somehow work this in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF9xMNuAfwE

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Sciz said:
This is really nicely done. Building directly into the terrain like that always has a nice effect, but you've got a very natural, freeform style that makes the place come alive.

Agreed. A lot of people (myself included) fall into the trap of "I have to find a sweet hilltop / sweet mountain innards to build my base!" When in truth, you can take any patch of land and MAKE it interesting, without a ton of trouble.

I always try to find some incredible landscape to build on... I think I'll try to ignore that when I reroll after the 10/31 update. Try to go with something more free-form.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm pretty sure that by "narrative" he just means some basic mythology, so the world has some sense of reason to it (like, what are creepers, why is there hell, etc.). Not like it would have an ending of some sort.

Once thing that would be cool is incite people to clear up certain zones of monster spawners and move on further into the world do continue to do so, and eliminate monster villages.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I planned on re-rolling after the update, but man, the primary world I use in single player has a TON of lava. Would really hate to miss out on that.

In other news, though, the second world I rolled (and the first one I really played around in at all) was snowy, and I haven't gone back much for that reason; cool to play in, but the lack of snow in other worlds helps with visibility of structures and such. REALLY looking forward to biomes in that one so I can start it back up.
Ether_Snake said:
I'm pretty sure that by "narrative" he just means some basic mythology, so the world has some sense of reason to it (like, what are creepers, why is there hell, etc.). Not like it would have an ending of some sort.

Once thing that would be cool is incite people to clear up certain zones of monster spawners and move on further into the world do continue to do so, and eliminate monster villages.
Even with some kind of limited goal in place, I could picture something like the old PS1 game Tail of the Sun that would work. In that game, you're basically plopped down in the world as a caveman, told "You need to kill mammoths and use their tusks to build a huge tower to the sun!" and that's it. You don't ever actually have to kill a single mammoth. Something for Minecraft may include a bit more detail, but something conceptually similar could work very well.

Monroeski said:
I planned on re-rolling after the update, but man, the primary world I use in single player has a TON of lava. Would really hate to miss out on that.

In other news, though, the second world I rolled (and the first one I really played around in at all) was snowy, and I haven't gone back much for that reason; cool to play in, but the lack of snow in other worlds helps with visibility of structures and such. REALLY looking forward to biomes in that one so I can start it back up.

Even with some kind of limited goal in place, I could picture something like the old PS1 game Tail of the Sun that would work. In that game, you're basically plopped down in the world as a caveman, told "You need to kill mammoths and use their tusks to build a huge tower to the sun!" and that's it. You don't ever actually have to kill a single mammoth. Something for Minecraft may include a bit more detail, but something conceptually similar could work very well.

This seems like the best way to do it. Tweet it to him :3

WillyFive

I think I am stuck.

I made myself a nice little cabin at the top of the highest peak of my world. Went exploring and digging for minerals, and made various tools and a furnace.

I am now on the mountain peak looking over the all the land out there, and...now what?

JoeBoy101

Willy105 said:
I think I am stuck.

I made myself a nice little cabin at the top of the highest peak of my world. Went exploring and digging for minerals, and made various tools and a furnace.

I am now on the mountain peak looking over the all the land out there, and...now what?

Make a cart rail from your peak to where you usually do your mining.

Sciz

Willy105 said:
I think I am stuck.

ZBMhv.gif

The Technomancer

Jesus fuck it never stops freaking me out. I was working high on my tower come one sunrise when I noticed a creeper waiting by the door below. So, sword in hand I prepare myself to run out and spin around, hopefully killing it or getting it far enough from the tower. However, a skeleton that I didn't see comes up behind it, causing it to detonate. It doesn't breach the tower fortunately, but it does blast through to my underground base. As I move into inspect the damage a second creeper catches me completely unawares and detonates. Its at that point that I let out a sound something like a sharp chicken squawk or pterodactyl mating call as I'm thrown forward into the rubble. Everyone around me in the library turns to stare for a few seconds.

Log4Girlz

Willy105 said:
I think I am stuck.

Find lots and lots of coal...LOTS, crazy amounts. Not hard. Make tons and tons of torches while you can. Now pick a direction and go walking, placing a torch every few dozen yards where the light from each torch barely meets each other. Now keep walking and don't stop. Tell me how big your world gets.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Metalic Sand said:
That comic perfectly explains biomes. And what ill do when they are out.
Not exactly, considering it'll never snow in areas that weren't already snowy before.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Now that we've got biomes, can we get dynamic weather? Weather adds so much atmosphere, it'd really bring this game up a notch.

Ferrio

Banned
Spire said:
Now that we've got biomes, can we get dynamic weather? Weather adds so much atmosphere, it'd really bring this game up a notch.

I'd be surprised if the engine could handle blocks being changed on the fly like that.

Can anyone tell me whether there are plans to make Multiplayer work like single player? Specfically, monsters working, lava and water working, minecarts working, and so on?

Fixed1979

elrechazao said:
Can anyone tell me whether there are plans to make Multiplayer work like single player? Specfically, monsters working, lava and water working, minecarts working, and so on?

There are plans...I'm not sure if anyone knows more than that.

Fixed1979 said:
Recently started MPing with a friend of mine, and we've both been really disappointed that simple basic stuff from the game doesn't work when we play together :(

depths20XX

Notch stated in that podcast that his idea was to have some type of goal that was actually never attainable. I'm sure you'll be able to go on forever accomplishing whatever is added to the game, until you get bored. Those worried about the word 'narrative' really shouldn't. He won't turn this into a linear adventure with a game over screen.

Philthy

Ferrio said:
I'd be surprised if the engine could handle blocks being changed on the fly like that.

Sure they could. Happens with lava and water making obsidian. Changing a single flag on a block marking it as one type to another is no big deal. Dirt to grassblock, etc.

Fixed1979 said:

Everyone is kind of expecting all the fixes in this weekend. However, notch recently said he didn't want to confirm all that. So that basically means he probably just added more broken stuff to SMP and didn't get around to fixing anything. :)

Edit: From that interview posted:

What are the challenges in keeping people interested in the coming months? How do you keep up the momentum and avoid becoming a fad?

Once we get the company up and running, we can hopefully ramp up development speed a bit, and get the multiplayer mode fully functioning.

Once that’s in place, I think there’s a huge potential in competitive multiplayer modes like capture the flag and so on, which should keep people – including myself – interested for a long time.

For the single player game and co-op game, I plan on adding some kind of overarching narrative to the game to drive the player forward and provide a sense of direction, and add many more new features, like monster towns and alchemy.

Fixed1979

depths20XX said:
Notch stated in that podcast that his idea was to have some type of goal that was actually never attainable. I'm sure you'll be able to go on forever accomplishing whatever is added to the game, until you get bored. Those worried about the word 'narrative' really shouldn't. He won't turn this into a linear adventure with a game over screen.

I can see a challenge list or something and then broken out on different tiers of difficulty.
Stuff similar to "collect 64 cobble stone" on tier one, then tier five could have stuff like "have a water fall inside your house" or "collect 64 wheat in one game day". Just ideas for people to try in order to get the creative juices flowing when they are short of ideas.

Edit: Now I want to have an indoors waterfall connecting to an underground farm to collect wheat. Weekend confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom