• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike M

Nick N
Blizzard said:
Excellent plan, that dirt bridge you can destoy should help a lot against flying ghasts should they ever escape. ;p
Ghasts appear to be at LEAST 3x3x3, they're not going to escape through a 2x3 portal.

Zomba13

Metalic Sand said:
Went out to chop some trees in a new area and came across this tree. Honestly creeped me out.

NVpZal.jpg
Oh shit. Notch's brother strikes again :S

Belfast

Zomba13 said:
Oh shit. Notch's brother strikes again :S

That would be crazy wouldn't it? Of course some people have talked about "losing" their save file, restarting in that slot, and finding out that it's the same one, they've just spawned in a completely different location.

BUT what if you came back to your save every few sessions, and while exploring, you start seeing resources disappearing, and mysterious structures in various states of being built? Like some phantom that you never see who also occupies the same world that you do.

Kozak

Banned
Belfast said:
That would be crazy wouldn't it? Of course some people have talked about "losing" their save file, restarting in that slot, and finding out that it's the same one, they've just spawned in a completely different location.

BUT what if you came back to your save every few sessions, and while exploring, you start seeing resources disappearing, and mysterious structures in various states of being built? Like some phantom that you never see who also occupies the same world that you do.

You start to see random houses appearing and some signs with warnings on it. That would be so awesome.

It would raise the creepy meter.

Ferga

Kozak said:
You start to see random houses appearing and some signs with warnings on it. That would be so awesome.

It would raise the creepy meter.

How would you program that though?

I'm not program savvy so i'm just guessing it'll be hard

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Alright, phase one of my new project is complete: the giant ring of eight towers. Also seen here is the beginnings of the scaffolding for phase two: the huge center tower, which will feature several gateways into the Slip embedded in its base.

UU4sj.png

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Ferga said:

I guess he could have a lot of set designs that build over time, like add 20 blocks to a building every 3 days of game time... shit you might stumble accross.. or you might not

Kozak

Banned
Ferga said:

Wouldn't be that hard, it could just generate with the map as you explore more.

Looking through the thread I've really realized the error of my ways. The best creations in this thread haven't manipulated the surroundings to suit their creations, they've manipulated their creations to suit their surroundings.

I feel a new world is in order.

Alex said:
If I make a world now, will it be compatible with the new features in the update?
yes. even if the new features are things that need to spawn as part of the landscape all you need to do is walk a whil until new terrain generates.

AtlusAram

Atlus USA Developer
Good god, I don't think I have the fortitude for this game.

Finally, after a LONG bit of digging (mostly because my OCD prevented me from digging deeper before I'd finished servicable chambers on the level I was on), I've come across my first twisting, branching, dark, naturally-formed cave.

Never seen anything like it in HOURS of Minecraft, and I'm already thoroughly traumatized.

The MOMENT I broke through my tunnel into the mine, a creeper was in my FACE hopping madly in an effort to blow me away. After I bow and arrowed him and broke a small hole to climb through, two more creepers lunged at me out of the dark, before I could even reach for a torch. A spider was among them too, although he was too dumb to pose a real threat.

I HATE how the creepers home in on you no matter where you are. It means, essentially, that even if I clear one side of a mine out and browse it, if I return to my entrance I could be facing a creeper who came from the other side and managed to get around the twists of the mine thanks to me going in the direction he needed to get free.

Now I've got three forks to this thing (who knows how many more), I've lit the hell out of all of it, but there are still forks that immediately become pitch black, and I have no idea how to explore and secure this thing. Not only is it absolutely massive, but minutes of going in one direction or another have resulted in 0 dead ends. Sigh, I'll have to start closing forks off until I've cleared an entire section out.

I know this is nothing compared to what others have stumbled across... massive, lava filled caves, but good god, this game is far more suspenseful and traumatic than any survival-horror game I've ever played. I'm thoroughly frozen with terror at the thought of trying to explore the mine (I should point out, I've only died once, and that was basically the first ten minutes of the game. I'm afraid of death and where I might spawn...).

And to think there's going to be a scarier, more confusing dimension added...

Ugh...

sophora

AtlusAram said:

Finally, after a LONG bit of digging (mostly because my OCD prevented me from digging deeper before I'd finished servicable chambers on the level I was on), I've come across my first twisting, branching, dark, naturally-formed cave.

Never seen anything like it in HOURS of Minecraft, and I'm already thoroughly traumatized.

The MOMENT I broke through my tunnel into the mine, a creeper was in my FACE hopping madly in an effort to blow me away. After I bow and arrowed him and broke a small hole to climb through, two more creepers lunged at me out of the dark, before I could even reach for a torch. A spider was among them too, although he was too dumb to pose a real threat.

I HATE how the creepers home in on you no matter where you are. It means, essentially, that even if I clear one side of a mine out and browse it, if I return to my entrance I could be facing a creeper who came from the other side and managed to get around the twists of the mine thanks to me going in the direction he needed to get free.

Now I've got three forks to this thing (who knows how many more), I've lit the hell out of all of it, but there are still forks that immediately become pitch black, and I have no idea how to explore and secure this thing. Not only is it absolutely massive, but minutes of going in one direction or another have resulted in 0 dead ends. Sigh, I'll have to start closing forks off until I've cleared an entire section out.

I know this is nothing compared to what others have stumbled across... massive, lava filled caves, but good god, this game is far more suspenseful and traumatic than any survival-horror game I've ever played. I'm thoroughly frozen with terror at the thought of trying to explore the mine (I should point out, I've only died once, and that was basically the first ten minutes of the game. I'm afraid of death and where I might spawn...).

Ugh...

It's that unknown that is one of the most interesting aspects of Minecraft. You're afraid to keep exploring, the constant threat of death around you, but it's your curiosity and need to survive that keeps you going.

I love reading stories like this, it's like reading journal logs of an adventurer who is exploring unknown lands. It's quite thrilling.

OnPoint

The_Technomancer said:
Alright, phase one of my new project is complete: the giant ring of eight towers. Also seen here is the beginnings of the scaffolding for phase two: the huge center tower, which will feature several gateways into the Slip embedded in its base.

UU4sj.png

Makes me want to play tic-tac-toe

Ferga

AtlusAram said:

Ugh...

I love finding opened areas when i'm digging deep underground. Playing on hard makes the experience even better :lol

I just dash into the darkness with my 62 torches lighting everything up and listening to the sounds trying to avoid coming too close to anything. If i see one, i get my bow out and start firing away while running back.

Awesome game :lol

Vespene

From the bottom bedrock to the highest point in the sky.

babil.jpg

Inspired by:

180px-FFIV_TAY_Tower_of_Babil.jpg

Come to think of it... it would be possible to create the entire world of Final Fantasy IV on Minecraft... including the underground map...

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I LOVE that first screenshot, GT Vespene. The way the game lights the edge blocks of the hole make it look like beams of light from outside shining down.

For such a visually basic game there can be some really breathtaking moments in it.

MNC

Has there been confirmation The Slip and the biomes and such will work in multiplayer also? And that the Halloween update contains fixes for buckets and minecarts and stuff?

Edit: And I also thought the slip would be a walkthrough gate :( Loading and such seems bit off... But understandable.

MNC said:
Has there been confirmation The Slip and the biomes and such will work in multiplayer also? And that the Halloween update contains fixes for buckets and minecarts and stuff?

Edit: And I also thought the slip would be a walkthrough gate :( Loading and such seems bit off... But understandable.

It will work in mutliplayer, but some of the things that he needs to fix like the working minecarts possibly its not done for this update.
But yeah, The Slip, the new materials, the biomes... all works in mutliplayer.

JoeyX

Neo Member
GT Vespene said:
From the bottom bedrock to the highest point in the sky.

I made a tower similar on TouchMyBox thing in that it is bedrock to sky, but it goes through water too.... and I didn't dig out around it!

BooJoh

AtlusAram said:

Ugh...
For some reason your story reminds me of Ted the Caver.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
...a Creeper just saved my life. o_O

I was edging toward another dungeon (my 7th, now) and it was a Skeleton one. I had no way to flood it, my life was low, and even though I had plenty of arrows the rock formation made it quite tricky to land a blow.

So I mined my way around the outside of one again, broke a hole into it, and saw it was full of 7 Skeletons, Three Zombies... and a Creeper.

A Skeleton sees me peering out of the hole, fires an arrow, and the Creeper gets hit in the back of the head.

He gets pissed off and explodes.

Just two skeletons were left from the wreckage. He even took out the Spawner too, yet somehow left the treasure chest intact. I thank my lucky stars, kill off the last two Skeletons and take the treasure. Thank you!

...then another Creeper comes along and blows me up just as I'm leaving.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Sciz said:
This is really nicely done. Building directly into the terrain like that always has a nice effect, but you've got a very natural, freeform style that makes the place come alive.

Thanks, that's pretty much what I was going for. My spawn point is right inside the keep's main hall, so now I have a safe complete base of operations to work from. When I get to exploring (because I have barely left this first mountain so far) and when I die it will always be nice to come back here.

Some shots of the inside. This is my workshop:

Minecraft1_0082.jpg

Minecraft1_0084.jpg

One of the hallways, I have a pool of water in here:

Minecraft1_0165.jpg

The basement, where I mined most of the stone to build the keep. Also where I started mineshaft alpha from. It goes all the way down to the bedrock:

Minecraft1_0163.jpg

Minecraft1_0169.jpg

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
funkmastergeneral said:
What I don't understand about this is we had health and damage in SMP back in July .

That was probably entirely client side. Like the pigs that you could spawn.

Giard

Talamius said:
There goes a lot of my hype for the update. Multiplayer seems really low on Notch's list of priorities.
Same... :(
I convinced 2 of my friends to buy this for the multi, now I feel kinda bad cause it's been like 3 months and the "survival" part is still not online.

Giard said:
Same... :(
I convinced 2 of my friends to buy this for the multi, now I feel kinda bad cause it's been like 3 months and the "survival" part is still not online.

Too be honest we're lucky to even have smp right now, Notch considers it a mess. It's been his focus for development for awhile, too

I died for the first time in quite a while. Now I can't find my base again. and my base is right next to my spawn point. Haven't been able to find anything in cartograph. To top it all off, I died while starting a tower on top of my base that would make it easily visible.

Talamius said:
There goes a lot of my hype for the update. Multiplayer seems really low on Notch's list of priorities.
That's always been the case. People's impatience led to him releasing it and now they assume it's 1:1 with SP survival.

Giard

funkmastergeneral said:
Too be honest we're lucky to even have smp right now, Notch considers it a mess. It's been his focus for development for awhile, too
It doesn't seem like it...I'll take a wild guess and say that Hell won't work online. Fishing probably won't work either..

If they do I'll gladly eat crow, but I would rather have had stable MP with monsters.

Giard said:
It doesn't seem like it...I'll take a wild guess and say that Hell won't work online. Fishing probably won't work either..

If they do I'll gladly eat crow, but I would rather have had stable MP with monsters.

Before the Halloween update, most of his secret Friday updates involved smp, and not single player. Since he released smp, single player has gotten the shaft pretty badly. Since the game is still in alpha I'd rather he add stuff to single player first, then smp, which seems much harder to make work.

sgnhh

Neo Member
SpacePirate Ridley said:
It will work in mutliplayer, but some of the things that he needs to fix like the working minecarts possibly its not done for this update.
But yeah, The Slip, the new materials, the biomes... all works in mutliplayer.

Source? I find this hard to believe considering health/damage won't be updated.

Sciz

sgnhh said:
Source? I find this hard to believe considering health/damage won't be updated.
Minecarts and health and such all involve changes to player/NPC states that need to be coordinated across every connected user. Biomes and hell are straightforward alterations to the terrain generation algorithm, which already works. The only potential sticking point I can think of is portals... nah, those should be fine too. Probably implemented as a block type like water and lava that does stuff to the player while he's inside, except it's a simple teleport command.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
nataku said:
So I guess it's pretty safe to assume the things without the green check mark won't be there for the update tomorrow? Unless that update is days old or something.

He just posted it about 40 minutes ago, right after he finished coding fishing, so who knows. Maybe he'll surprise us and finish some other stuff.

notch said:
notch Markus Persson
And so do stairs now. They will never auto-turn ever again!
2 minutes ago

notch Markus Persson
You know that bridge mod thing.. I might have to borrow that idea!
5 minutes ago
»

notch Markus Persson
Guess what.. Furnaces should now face the opposite direction the player is facing when you plant them.
6 minutes ago

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Notch just mentioned on his Twitter that stairs and furnaces don't auto-turn when placed or when the blocks around them change anymore. They'll always face the opposite direction that the player is facing now.

Edit: Beaten.

kennah

Brazil said:
Notch just mentioned on his Twitter that stairs and furnaces don't auto-turn when placed or when the blocks around them change anymore. They'll always face the opposite direction that the player is facing now.
Yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom