• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Haunted said:
The servers will go down anyway when 500k people are trying to update at the same time.

You know it'll happen.

Considering that happens whenever somebody sneezes, you're not wrong.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Fixed1979 said:
I can see a challenge list or something and then broken out on different tiers of difficulty.
Stuff similar to "collect 64 cobble stone" on tier one, then tier five could have stuff like "have a water fall inside your house" or "collect 64 wheat in one game day". Just ideas for people to try in order to get the creative juices flowing when they are short of ideas.

Edit: Now I want to have an indoors waterfall connecting to an underground farm to collect wheat. Weekend confirmed.
Hm, I actually wouldn't like that at all. The last thing this game needs is an achievement system IMO.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ferrio said:
I'd be surprised if the engine could handle blocks being changed on the fly like that.

Sure it could. Blocks are changed all the time! :lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ferrio said:
One by one they are. Try having the whole terrain remapped due to weather....

You've never seen a huge stack of TNT go off, have you?

I have literally set off huge stacks of 1,000+ TNT and the game handles the remapping just fine.

Minecraft's limitation is in memory. The blocks in your immediate vicinity are all stored in your RAM with each block taking up an 8-bit integer. That's why blocks have to load in and out whenver you move about. But the computational power to turn a bunch of 8-bit integers into other 8-bit integers is easier than piss. If anything requires any serious computation in dynamic weather, it's how the game would calculate which blocks are changed and which aren't. The actual process of swapping blocks is easy.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Notch hosts all the files on Amazon's cloud based service now, so there should be a much better chance of it surviving

By coincidence, I have two weeks off work to coincide with the Halloween Update.

I need to leave post-it-notes on the borders of my screen with the words REMEMBER TO EAT and YOU NEED SLEEP as prompts, I think.

Vinci

Danish
GDJustin said:
Agreed. A lot of people (myself included) fall into the trap of "I have to find a sweet hilltop / sweet mountain innards to build my base!" When in truth, you can take any patch of land and MAKE it interesting, without a ton of trouble.

I always try to find some incredible landscape to build on... I think I'll try to ignore that when I reroll after the 10/31 update. Try to go with something more free-form.

I keep making new worlds just to pass time till the update, and on my most recent one I created my home right next to the spawn point. Like, the spawn point is standing directly next to the front door. When I spawn, I'm actually facing it. I just click and I'm inside. And the house, despite the somewhat odd, uninteresting location, has turned out rather well.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Wiggum2007 said:
What does it say about my computer when its too slow to run friggin' Minecraft. :lol

Sucks, dude.

Vinci said:
I keep making new worlds just to pass time till the update, and on my most recent one I created my home right next to the spawn point. Like, the spawn point is standing directly next to the front door. When I spawn, I'm actually facing it. I just click and I'm inside. And the house, despite the somewhat odd, uninteresting location, has turned out rather well.

I usually make my dwelling around the spawn point so that I know I'll always spawn in a safe place.

Wiggum2007 said:
What does it say about my computer when its too slow to run friggin' Minecraft. :lol

Did you lower the graphics settings? By lowering the draw distance and/or increasing the fog you can dramatically boost performance and get a nice atmospheric effect at the same time.

Vinci

Danish
Sword Familiar said:
I usually make my dwelling around the spawn point so that I know I'll always spawn in a safe place.

The game has this odd habit of placing me in the middle of damned nowhere. I mean, like, I literally showed up once on three blocks of sand and ocean. There was landmass about 20 blocks away. I'm serious - it sets me down on the world with nothing remotely interesting nearby, so I usually mark the spot by building a tower and then trot off and find somewhere more pleasing to build my primary base. From there, I'll build an underground tunnel that leads to my spawn point, but... yeah, this is the first time I've actually had much to work with at all in the general vicinity of my spawn point.

At any rate, it's a nice change of pace.

Technically, I could have put the spawn point inside, but if I had the front of my home would jut out unnaturally from its core design - and... that wouldn't be as aesthetically pleasing.

xtop

so i've deleted previous attempts at building a cool world, and restarted in the same save slot. well i just came up out of a huge cave i found and stumbled upon a very old safe house that i KNOW got deleted. is this a common thing? or am i losing my mind?

Capture the flag where there are no rules just a flag and teams you decide with all the material the in the world at your disposal would be awesome. Even if there's no score. Just knowing people would build castles just to defend the flag and others would be trying to steal it. :D

xtop said:
so i've deleted previous attempts at building a cool world, and restarted in the same save slot. well i just came up out of a huge cave i found and stumbled upon a very old safe house that i KNOW got deleted. is this a common thing? or am i losing my mind?

I've had this happen when the game has crashed and corrupted my save, but didn't know it happened when you deleted the save also. Strange.

WillyFive

JoeBoy101 said:
Make a cart rail from your peak to where you usually do your mining.

Sciz said:
ZBMhv.gif

Log4Girlz said:
Find lots and lots of coal...LOTS, crazy amounts. Not hard. Make tons and tons of torches while you can. Now pick a direction and go walking, placing a torch every few dozen yards where the light from each torch barely meets each other. Now keep walking and don't stop. Tell me how big your world gets.

Alright.

Wiggum2007 said:

Yeah, I was surprised at how resource intensive it is. But of course, I play in 3D.

r1chard

S. L. said:
it is actually relatively demanding in the graphic card department
He has a pretty good rendering mechanism built in (backface culling, combining adjacent faces, using blocks), but in the end with the normal/far draw distance he's drawing a helluva lot of blocks sometimes.

xtop

Bootaaay said:
I've had this happen when the game has crashed and corrupted my save, but didn't know it happened when you deleted the save also. Strange.

ah ok, well there is absolutely a chance that that was the slot that had a crash.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Willy105 said:
Alright.

Yeah, I was surprised at how resource intensive it is. But of course, I play in 3D.
Which is actually really cool. The only reason I don't do it all the time is because I had a hard time telling the difference between my different types of tools (steel v stone, for example).

WillyFive

WanderingWind said:
Play...in 3D?

What is it about this thread that makes me feel like such an numpty? :lol

Hey, I am as uninformed about this game as most. But I couldn't pass up the option to play in 3D on the options menu when I have those anaglyph 3D glasses!

The 3D is absolutely amazing in this game, far away things look really far and close things look extremely tactile.

Only problem is that it makes it monochrome. I walked straight into lava, not knowing there actually was lava in this game.

WanderingWind

kennah said:
Dude! Always read your options menus the fullest!

...yessir. That's cool! Too bad I don't have 3-D glasses. On a better note, thanks to Blizzard, Pandaman and many others, I think I was able to fix my world save. No problems all day. You guys are beyond awesome.

I am ready.

Blizzard

Banned
I may not even have any obsidian in my worlds yet... Has anyone else made an actual fortified bunker for their hellgate, ala Stargate or something? Just in case Notch ever starts letting...CREATURES escape? :D

WanderingWind

Blizzard said:
I may not even have any obsidian in my worlds yet... Has anyone else made an actual fortified bunker for their hellgate, ala Stargate or something? Just in case Notch ever starts letting...CREATURES escape? :D

That's what you're looking at. It's a sealed off portion of my future Mines of Moria type castle, and right behind me is a single path way bridge leading to my house. 3 blocks are dirt just in case something is chasing me, I can destroy the bridge.

BRING IT ON

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Blizzard said:

I've made a stargate.

In the process of making it (34x34 squares) out of obsidian. I am ready to evacuate.

owlbeak

Willy105 said:
Hey, I am as uninformed about this game as most. But I couldn't pass up the option to play in 3D on the options menu when I have those anaglyph 3D glasses!

The 3D is absolutely amazing in this game, far away things look really far and close things look extremely tactile.

Only problem is that it makes it monochrome. I walked straight into lava, not knowing there actually was lava in this game.
What kind of glasses do you need for that? Or do you need a 3D monitor? :O

BlisterBrown

Neo Member
I bought Minecraft a couple months ago, and I really haven't got much into yet. Figured I might as well start now so I'll be in a good position to do some 'sploring once the Halloween update comes out. Anddd then the first thing I see when I load up a new map is this:

floatingisland.png

Is that normal? :lol :lol

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Ferga said:
minecraft's 3d makes me go dizzy =\

I can handle the movie's type of 3D but minecraft's one just kills me
Same here, and it's a shame.

I'd love to see Minecraft compatible with the new 3D technology.

WillyFive

Ferga said:
minecraft's 3d makes me go dizzy =\

I can handle the movie's type of 3D but minecraft's one just kills me

Ouch.

Despite usually being easy pray for motion sickness, Minecraft works great in 3D for me. Both in open fields and in the mines.

Blizzard

Banned
WanderingWind said:
That's what you're looking at. It's a sealed off portion of my future Mines of Moria type castle, and right behind me is a single path way bridge leading to my house. 3 blocks are dirt just in case something is chasing me, I can destroy the bridge.

BRING IT ON
Excellent plan, that dirt bridge you can destoy should help a lot against flying ghasts should they ever escape. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom