• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlusAram

Atlus USA Developer
May he never add monsters that can break through blocks to get at you. I'm mining coal out of this cave in nothing less than sheer terror. I've blocked off unexplored parts of the cave, but I can still hear them.....

Blizzard

Banned
That furnace and stair news is great, even though I rarely used stairs. I seem to recall some people really being frustrated by placing stairs.

I understand the frustration about SMP, but I'm glad single player is actually getting a decent update. I agree that it feels like Notch has focused more on SMP for a while (when he was still doing updates I guess) since it was incomplete.

But look at it another way -- this seems like the first week where he actually got the business stuff out of the way, and his helpers are doing their jobs to handle stuff. The server hasn't gone down in the last few days as far as I can tell, and he has added several new things in this week alone. He's going to apparently take a couple of days off after the update and emergency bug fixes, but I -THOUGHT- (can't find a quote right now) he said he and his helper would be focusing on SMP fixes after this update.

Oh, and what bridge mod is Notch referring to?

Mudkips said:
Current status:
http://www.minecraft.net/temp/status.png
status.png

Fucking Notch.
HaLFd.jpg

Travado

funkmastergeneral said:
Anyone know how to access the game files on my computer? I'm a bit computer retarded and can't find them.

C:users/[your user name]/AppData/Roaming/.Minecraft

You need to mark "show hidden files" on Windows Explorer do view that.

Sai-kun

Banned
Brazil said:
Notch just mentioned on his Twitter that stairs and furnaces don't auto-turn when placed or when the blocks around them change anymore. They'll always face the opposite direction that the player is facing now.

Edit: Beaten.

This is the best day ever.

Shame about the SMP stuff... I understand that single player has been sparse on updates for quite a while, but I am really not excited about the prospects of SMP being perpetually 2-3 months behind SP either.

I hope after this update, they take a couple weeks to just grind at getting SMP up to date, and make sure both modes are in sync before starting on any other major updates.

Blizzard

Banned
Elcheris said:
Imagine if he had spent the last 3 weeks doing this, it would be ready for release!
If only creating new corporations and handling finance and doing meetings and setting up offices
and playing lots of Meatboy
were easy! :D

Artanisix

HE MIGHT ADD THE BRIDGE MOD??

Fucking YES. That's my favorite mod ever. For anyone who doesn't know, basically there's a new craftable bridge block that's rather expensive to make. You make a stack, and you place two of them about 10 blocks away from each other in a straight line. If you hit the block (or use a redstone torch to use levers etc), all the empty space in a straight line from one block to the other is filled in with whatever you crafted the bridge block with (so you can have cobblestone bridges, wood bridges, so on and so forth).

TL;DR - Activated bridges. Pretty much the best thing ever.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Artanisix said:

Fucking YES. That's my favorite mod ever. For anyone who doesn't know, basically there's a new craftable bridge block that's rather expensive to make. You make a stack, and you place two of them about 10 blocks away from each other in a straight line. If you hit the block (or use a redstone torch to use levers etc), all the empty space in a straight line from one block to the other is filled in with whatever you crafted the bridge block with (so you can have cobblestone bridges, wood bridges, so on and so forth).

so it spawns blocks?
seems kinda broken.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Notch on SMP health etc

notch said:
notch Markus Persson
We'll have an office starting mid November. My focus will be pushing Minecraft into beta. Others will do the boring stuff. ;)
1 minute ago
»

notch Markus Persson
Health and other fancy features for multiplayer are coming with the beta release. This is not the beta release.
3 minutes ago

fresquito

The multiplayer news is a bummer. I was waiting for this update to rent a server and roll a new world and just play multiplayer. I was ready to drop many features, but just not health and mobs. Mining and exploring would be very boring without danger, not to talk about The Slip.

I'm guessing I will start a new world, wait for SMP updates and when health and mobs are fixed, rent the server. Damn it!

Artanisix said:

So... make a diamond block, turn it into a diamond block bridge, mine all the blocks from the bridge except one, and make another bridge and repeat?

Sounds stupid.

HappyBivouac said:
So... make a diamond block, turn it into a diamond block bridge, mine all the blocks from the bridge except one, and make another bridge and repeat?

Sounds stupid.
I don't think you can (A) mine those blocks that represent the bridge and (B) you build the bridge with those blocks.

Blizzard

Banned
HappyBivouac said:

Sounds stupid.
According to the earlier poster:
Yes, it spawns blocks. The whole bridge and the bridge block turn to gravel if you try to break the blocks and harvest them.

I wonder if the bridge has a max length though.

Elcheris said:
Imagine if he had spent the last 3 weeks doing this, it would be ready for release!

I don't normally do this, because it is pretty much the antithesis to intelligent discussion, but believe me when I say that I think, in all earnest, that this is the best response anyone could give you for your comment:

You are an idiot.

Elcheris

Neo Member
Hey, I just said 'imagine'. Not OMG WHY DIDNT HE DO IT geez. I totally understand the reasons why it isn't, I was just having a little fantasy. No need to respond like this sir.

Artanisix

Did you even read my next post...?

Blizzard said:
I wonder if the bridge has a max length though.

It does. It's ten or fifteen blocks in length.

Haunted

Artanisix said:
Yes, it spawns blocks. The whole bridge and the bridge block turn to gravel if you try to break the blocks and harvest them.

Not broken at all.

edit: Here's an awesome video showing the cool things you can do with bridge mod.
I didn't understand half the things he did in that video, but there's obvious problems with the concept of such a device.

Talking about the SP experience (not the MP where spawning infinite blocks is common), spawning blocks out of thin air just doesn't feel right - regardless of whether you can mine them or not. One acceptable solution would make it so you have to put as many blocks into the bridge as it uses when unfolded.

Great avatar, btw.

Artanisix

I think that's a very fair and rational compromise for bridge blocks, Haunted.

To me, the bridge blocks are a fantastic utility which add a lot of complexity and interest to structures. They're like redstone mechanisms in a way. I think it's cool being able to flip a switch and having a wall disappear, giving way to a secret tunnel; or crank a lever and have stairs pop out and reveal a glass ceiling that lets the light in.

It doesn't drastically change the Minecraft world and just serves to make it more interesting, I think.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
HappyBivouac said:

Sounds stupid.
He could change it to make a "bridge" type block instead, which can't be destoryed/makes the whole bridge fall aprt if tried to mine.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Yea i dont like the bridge mod. Looks extremely tacky.

Im sure notch could think of a better way instead of created blocks for a bridge then the blocks just disappearing into nothingness.

Finally found my base. I then spent the next 2 hours building two tower-arrows pointing to it. And covering them with torches.

Is there a recommended design approach for putting together tall buildings or digging deep. I always seem to have problems getting up and down a structure.

Haunted

Metalic Sand said:
Yea i dont like the bridge mod. Looks extremely tacky.

Im sure notch could think of a better way instead of created blocks for a bridge then the blocks just disappearing into nothingness.
Actually, that's (I believe) one of the reasons mining in this game is so satisfying: the effective sound effects, coupled with the block breaking transition and finally the block sploding into lots of bits and pieces makes mining blocks a tactile experience. Despite the simplistic visuals, there is a tangible realness to everything in the Minecraft world.

Seeing the bridge blocks appear and disappear into thin air like that makes it look like someone is manipulating the underlying game code instead of manipulating the actual game world (if that makes sense). I think it's a natural reaction to go "something doesn't feel right here".

That said, the mechanic is interesting and it makes more complex structures and mechanisms possible, which is a good thing no matter how you look at it. At the end of the day there are all kinds of mods out there, and if one of them makes the game more interesting for even one guy, it's done its job. It's a fit for MP, but I personally wouldn't use it in SP the way it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom