• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

Metalic Sand said:
bPmYJ.png
Very cool stuff.

I find it kinda funny that the one thing evoking the strongest reactions (torches going out!?!? wtf notch I haet u now!!) ended up not making it into this update. :lol

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Haunted said:
Very cool stuff.

I find it kinda funny that the one thing evoking the strongest reactions (torches going out!?!? wtf notch I haet u now!!) ended up not making it into this update. :lol

Pretty awesome. Wonder if that's because of fan suggestion or, if like the floating block piece, he thought better of it.

Haunted

Still trying to figure out the best way to get this update in the 17 seconds before the servers inevitably crash for several hours.

WanderingWind said:
Pretty awesome. Wonder if that's because of fan suggestion or, if like the floating block piece, he thought better of it.
Eh I think the general idea behind it is sound, he probably really didn't manage to code it into the game in time. That, or he's still thinking about how to implement it.

WanderingWind

Haunted said:
Still trying to figure out the best way to get this update in the 17 seconds before the servers inevitably crash for several hours.

Eh I think the general idea behind it is sound, he probably really didn't manage to code it into the game in time. That, or he's still thinking about how to implement it.

The server is down already. :lol Frankly, I still don't like the idea of torches going out if lanterns use iron. We already have to use iron for usable tools and tracks and I've had to use more than 300 torches in just one dungeon.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Best update ever. I'm still playing minecraft exclusively SP, so I don't care about the slow MP progress. You just KNOW there's lots of little secrets and undocumented changes and additions as well as all those he's been publicizing :lol

re: bridge mod - the idea/concept of it is fine. But it's current implementation wouldn't work in the actual game.

Maybe people should have to have the meterials? So if you wanna create a big stone bridge, you need to HAVE the stacks of stone, and then building it automatically uses them? Basically just a simple automated building tool for some of the more tedious construction projects. Place two blocks, and say "fill the space between these blocks with stone." Seems reasonable.

Jasoco

Banned
Maybe he still doesn't know what to make Lanterns out of. Still, I'm happy with the update. Seeing as I don't play online.

Haunted said:
My guess is that he hasn't had time to properly balance it. I'm generally in favor of the idea, but if the timing and costs aren't well balanced, it could easily get overly frustrating.

WanderingWind said:
Frankly, I still don't like the idea of torches going out if lanterns use iron.
I thought the popular theory was that they would use that perpetually burning gravel stuff from the Slip. That way you'd need to find obsidian before you could get it, but once you have a portal it's easy to find the material (though still a little risky).

GDJustin said:
You just KNOW there's lots of little secrets and undocumented changes and additions as well as all those he's been publicizing
I hope so, but with all the big-ish features he's cutting, I feel like he's in more of a time crunch than he expected. I don't expect to see anything major (i.e. something beyond the level of eggs or non-working fishing poles) that we don't already know about.

GDJustin

rohlfinator said:
I thought the popular theory was that they would use that perpetually burning gravel stuff from the Slip. That way you'd need to find obsidian before you could get it, but once you have a portal it's easy to find the material (though still a little risky).

Yeah... that makes a lot of sense. If the lantern material is something players can't get early on, but then is ABUNDANT later on, that's pretty well balanced, imo.

It really doesn't take long to get some buckets of lava, which is the only thing you need for obsidian. No need to get diamond.

In The Slip, it would literally take just a couple minutes to get several stacks of that burning material... so I would be happy with that solution.

WanderingWind

rohlfinator said:

Hey, as long as it's relatively easy to make, it could be made out of anything. I had nightmares of having to use 2 iron everytime I wanted a stack of torches. It's not like those are optional, really. You need them things. :lol

fresquito

I think it's already up. I just went to the site, downloaded a bunch of files, then created a new world and found a mountain filled with LOTS of trees. Went abroad for a while, and found a small desert. Grass is different colour, paler. I go on and find some kind of plains without many trees, then another desert. I have no doubts this is not the Minecraft I've known until now. Besides, the texture pack I had installed is gone.

AWESOME!

GDJustin

Yesss. Start learning the new recipes, folks! I want a watch! :D :D

Edit: Servers not down at all... update went at over 200K. Remember he switched to Amazon ECS for these update packages

Razorskin

----- ------
Server's already getting hammered. :lol

GDJustin said:
Yesss. Start learning the new recipes, folks! I want a watch! :D :D

Edit: Servers not down at all... update went at over 200K. Remember he switched to Amazon ECS for these update packages

Speak for yourself.

GDJustin

WanderingWind said:
Monsters can now spawn in the light. Portals take you to random places on return. New features?

Need to know more about this please! Does this basically mean you need to use your compass to find your way back after leaving hell?

Why aren't you just taken back to your portal? :/

Blizzard

Banned
Well, I got the update really quickly, but the server is down now, sad.

I started out in an area with just little hills and no mountains, so I swam across an ocean area to a desert (with sand and stone) so I could get coal and make a quick haphazard hut for the first night. I, being an experienced Minecraft pro, sat and admired the night from my torchlit building roof...and then I almost jumped out of my skin at the TWANGGGG sound. Didn't get hit, but I ran back inside and put the roof on. :lol

GDJustin said:
Need to know more about this please! Does this basically mean you need to use your compass to find your way back after leaving hell?

It's probably a bug.

Camwi

GDJustin said:

Because that wouldn't be very hellish. :p

Haunted

And now begins the waiting game... for updated texture packs.

Is what I would say if I weren't so giddy trying out all the new stuff. Fuck waiting. :p

Blizzard said:
Well, I got the update really quickly, but the server is down now, sad.

I started out in an area with just little hills and no mountains, so I swam across an ocean area to a desert (with sand and stone) so I could get coal and make a quick haphazard hut for the first night. I, being an experienced Minecraft pro, sat and admired the night from my torchlit building roof...and then I almost jumped out of my skin at the TWANGGGG sound. Didn't get hit, but I ran back inside and put the roof on. :lol
Even after the big update, some things never change. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom